Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
Matt
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,529

Shows Seen: 78

Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

If you were to go back in time, and read the first notes scribbled down on paper that would serve as the seeds to what has eventually grown into the largest single band-focused website on the Internet, you would find two little words in the margins of that crumpled note: "Search Engine." Nearly 20 years later (my goodness!), we're so proud to finally release it.

Sure, Tour Central has always had "search" since its inception. Technically. But for once, technically correct is not the best kind of correct. It was a very basic version that let you search show data fields as if they were text. Sometimes it would work; often times it didn't offer the flexibility to be any sort of useful. It had been on our list, literally, for years (decades?), and we actually managed to put it together in the summer of 2019, but then life happened, and it got put on the back burner.

Ants Tour Central has always been the foundation of the site, with an advanced database that was built from the start to be a powerful and flexible means of storing data about the band's performances. It's been tweaked and extended over the years, but at its core, was intelligently designed to scale as it has over the better part of two decades. The power and flexibility of Tour Central has enabled us to bring this advanced search engine to the site!

The Tour Central Search Engine allows you to search for a single song, or multiple. You can stipulate that any song is an opener, a set closer, in the encore, or the encore closer. Or, you can string multiple songs together and turn up shows where those tunes were played in order. All of these options can be filtered by further metrics, such as guest, venue, artist and show date range. On top of that, you can also have it only display shows that are streamable on DMB Hub, or available to download on Ants. You can even check the box to only search against shows you've seen, so you can create a lot of personal queries. And when you've built your favorite searches, you can save them to your Tour Stats, so they're always accessible (and sharable!).

With a new tour comes renewed energy, and Ants is getting a ton of work poured into it, in various areas (more to come on that!). Stay tuned to Ants for the latest as we roll out more features, and we hope you're enjoying the tour so far!

Tour Central Search Engine
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
    rmp207
     
    rmp207's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: pa
    Posts: 1,983

    Shows Seen: 17

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Very cool, thanks for all the work you guys put into the site.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
    Bearclaw_
     
    Bearclaw_'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Posts: 4,220

    Shows Seen: 19

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Great feature and fun to use. Thanks Matt & Co.!

    Fun to see Dreaming Tree has only opened 7 times and I've seen... 1 of them.
    __________________
    2021: Raleigh, Charlotte, Alpharetta, Tampa, Chicago, Deer Creek
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
    Joecoolness1Ants+ Site Supporter
     
    Joecoolness1's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Summit, WI
    Posts: 41

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    This is awesome! Thank you, Matt! And now any chance of a productive work day is out the window...
    Joecoolness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
    RiotAct
     
    RiotAct's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Buffalo
    Posts: 33,287

    Shows Seen: 45

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    did you put it through its UAT cycles? Get stakeholder signoff?

    Just kidding, nice work
    __________________
    Grey Street 3rd verse is back!!!!!!!!

    07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
    Bmwm3oz
     
    Bmwm3oz's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Posts: 8,482

    Shows Seen: 48

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    did you put it through its UAT cycles? Get stakeholder signoff?

    Just kidding, nice work
    UAT? Thatís still a thing? At our company, we launch and test in production
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jssmith6 View Post
    Anyways, I plan to have a fake card if needed to access my shows this year.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
    Bearclaw_
     
    Bearclaw_'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Posts: 4,220

    Shows Seen: 19

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Gonna need some JIRA action on this puppy. Letís all convene at 4.
    Bearclaw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
    karczews41
     
    Join Date: Sep 2016
    Posts: 987

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    This is awesome, thanks guys!
    karczews41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
    magnumdan
    slow but speeding
     
    magnumdan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: Cleveland
    Posts: 2,423

    Shows Seen: 161

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Great new feature! We all get caught up in song chasing so between here and the Almanac I hope one day they make a list for each user of the 10 most played songs that user hasn’t seen live yet.
    __________________
    firedncr4136 #40
    magnumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #10
    RiotAct
     
    RiotAct's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Buffalo
    Posts: 33,287

    Shows Seen: 45

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz View Post
    UAT? Thatís still a thing? At our company, we launch and test in production
    thatís what real men do! Only cowards test in a pre-prod environment first.
    __________________
    Grey Street 3rd verse is back!!!!!!!!

    07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #11
    jackdewey
     
    Join Date: Jun 2002
    Posts: 132

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Would this be a good place to mention that the search functions in the Downloads section have some issues? If I enter the search term "sbd" and click on Filter, it shows me a first page of results that match this keyword. That being said, if I click on Next at the bottom of the list, it shows me a page of the entire list of shows, not just shows with the keyword "sbd". I assume the issue is that the search string is a POST variable instead of a GET variable. Therefore, it cannot currently get passed to the GET link. I've been hacking my way around this limitation by manually changing the action link of the search form in browser debugging tools to show later entries with the start parameter, then entering my search parameter and filtering, but most normal people would never think of something like this.
    jackdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #12
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan
     
    Xcacel's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2019
    Posts: 1,024

    Shows Seen: 11

    Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If you were to go back in time, and read the first notes scribbled down on paper that would serve as the seeds to what has eventually grown into the largest single band-focused website on the Internet, you would find two little words in the margins of that crumpled note: "Search Engine." Nearly 20 years later (my goodness!), we're so proud to finally release it.

    Sure, Tour Central has always had "search" since its inception. Technically. But for once, technically correct is not the best kind of correct. It was a very basic version that let you search show data fields as if they were text. Sometimes it would work; often times it didn't offer the flexibility to be any sort of useful. It had been on our list, literally, for years (decades?), and we actually managed to put it together in the summer of 2019, but then life happened, and it got put on the back burner.

    Ants Tour Central has always been the foundation of the site, with an advanced database that was built from the start to be a powerful and flexible means of storing data about the band's performances. It's been tweaked and extended over the years, but at its core, was intelligently designed to scale as it has over the better part of two decades. The power and flexibility of Tour Central has enabled us to bring this advanced search engine to the site!

    The Tour Central Search Engine allows you to search for a single song, or multiple. You can stipulate that any song is an opener, a set closer, in the encore, or the encore closer. Or, you can string multiple songs together and turn up shows where those tunes were played in order. All of these options can be filtered by further metrics, such as guest, venue, artist and show date range. On top of that, you can also have it only display shows that are streamable on DMB Hub, or available to download on Ants. You can even check the box to only search against shows you've seen, so you can create a lot of personal queries. And when you've built your favorite searches, you can save them to your Tour Stats, so they're always accessible (and sharable!).

    With a new tour comes renewed energy, and Ants is getting a ton of work poured into it, in various areas (more to come on that!). Stay tuned to Ants for the latest as we roll out more features, and we hope you're enjoying the tour so far!

    Tour Central Search Engine

    Thanks Matt. It seems a very cool feature.

    A couple of questions:

    ē is the search function available also on DMBHub app? I donít see it

    ē Clicking on the link from an iPhone, I get this error message. Tried also with Chrome, same result. Is it suppose to work on iOS?

    https://images2.imgbox.com/10/2b/0aEm4Ue9_o.jpeg
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #13
    Matt
     
    Matt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2001
    Posts: 11,529

    Shows Seen: 78

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Thanks Matt. It seems a very cool feature.

    A couple of questions:

    ē is the search function available also on DMBHub app? I donít see it
    Nope, not yet. Given that it's not only very complex on the backend, but the front end (UI) as well, it's going to take quite a bit of work to include it in DMB Hub. Eventually it will get there, but it'll be a big undertaking. Most likely DMB Hub 2.0.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    ē Clicking on the link from an iPhone, I get this error message. Tried also with Chrome, same result. Is it suppose to work on iOS?

    https://images2.imgbox.com/10/2b/0aEm4Ue9_o.jpeg
    Error in the Link on the news story - thanks for the heads up on that. Fixed.
    Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
    dancheatham
     
    dancheatham's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Chesterfield, VA
    Posts: 4,686

    Shows Seen: 61

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Thanks Matt. It seems a very cool feature.

    A couple of questions:

    ē is the search function available also on DMBHub app? I donít see it

    ē Clicking on the link from an iPhone, I get this error message. Tried also with Chrome, same result. Is it suppose to work on iOS?

    https://images2.imgbox.com/10/2b/0aEm4Ue9_o.jpeg
    Looks like it's just a bad link. Here's the correct URL: https://www.antsmarching.org/tour/search/search.php
    __________________
    Daniel
    dancheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #15
    djamieb
     
    djamieb's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Nashville, TN
    Posts: 833

    Shows Seen: 64

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    This is great!! Thanks for all the time and work that went into this!
    __________________
    Jamie
    djamieb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
    Matt
     
    Matt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2001
    Posts: 11,529

    Shows Seen: 78

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackdewey View Post
    Would this be a good place to mention that the search functions in the Downloads section have some issues? If I enter the search term "sbd" and click on Filter, it shows me a first page of results that match this keyword. That being said, if I click on Next at the bottom of the list, it shows me a page of the entire list of shows, not just shows with the keyword "sbd". I assume the issue is that the search string is a POST variable instead of a GET variable. Therefore, it cannot currently get passed to the GET link. I've been hacking my way around this limitation by manually changing the action link of the search form in browser debugging tools to show later entries with the start parameter, then entering my search parameter and filtering, but most normal people would never think of something like this.
    Filling out a contact us form would work also, but I've fixed this up for you. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Give it a shot and let me know if that works!
    Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #17
    ThatLetter
     
    ThatLetter's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 6,524

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    I may be doing it wrong, but it seems You Never Know has been played exactly twice in nearly 20 years in the state of Florida. That's absurd.
    __________________
    " Stink isn't his user name, it was a nickname that is apparently not appreciated."

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-04-2021, 11:51 PM   #18
    8nalive
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Location: Western Pennsylvania
    Posts: 441

    Shows Seen: 15

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Thank you
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2021, 02:33 AM   #19
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent
     
    coldengrey12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Bay Area
    Posts: 40,080

    Shows Seen: 70

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Yeah, this is excellent. Cheers!
    coldengrey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #20
    jackdewey
     
    Join Date: Jun 2002
    Posts: 132

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Filling out a contact us form would work also, but I've fixed this up for you. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Give it a shot and let me know if that works!
    Thanks for the quick fix! Along the same lines, sorting options are not retained when using the next links. Likely just a matter of adding the s GET variable to the next and previous links.

    1. Go to Downloads section
    2. Set the sorting by completed
    3. Add sbd in search. Gets you sorted search results.
    4. Click on next. Now shows page 2 of sbd results, but not does not follow selected sort order
    jackdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #21
    Matt
     
    Matt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2001
    Posts: 11,529

    Shows Seen: 78

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackdewey View Post
    Thanks for the quick fix! Along the same lines, sorting options are not retained when using the next links. Likely just a matter of adding the s GET variable to the next and previous links.

    1. Go to Downloads section
    2. Set the sorting by completed
    3. Add sbd in search. Gets you sorted search results.
    4. Click on next. Now shows page 2 of sbd results, but not does not follow selected sort order
    Got it, thanks! Filter/sort options should now persist, whether clicking the Prev/Next buttons, or the column headings after searching for a term.

    Admittedly I threw that downloads area page together a long time ago and the search was absolutely not fleshed out that well. Thanks for walking me through your use cases.
    Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #22
    jackdewey
     
    Join Date: Jun 2002
    Posts: 132

    Shows Seen: 1

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Got it, thanks! Filter/sort options should now persist, whether clicking the Prev/Next buttons, or the column headings after searching for a term.

    Admittedly I threw that downloads area page together a long time ago and the search was absolutely not fleshed out that well. Thanks for walking me through your use cases.
    Works like a charm now. This is greatly appreciated!
    jackdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #23
    GHB#13
    Best Slacker Alive!
     
    GHB#13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2002
    Location: Lahaina, HI
    Posts: 562

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Ants Site News: Tour Central Advanced Search Now Available

    Super cool updates. You added a lot of features I've been hoping would eventually be added for a while. Especially the DMB Hub search!

    QQ, will the ability to search for shows by only month and day ever return?

    I ask because this was my favorite way to use the search before the update. I would usually search for the current month and day (without year), then choose from the list of shows.

    All of the new features are completely superior to this one old function but I was just curious if it was possible to include it?

    Thanks for all of the hard work you put into this. It's sincerely appreciated!

    Mahalo
    __________________
    Andrew: What do you need a fake I.D. for?
    Brian: So I can vote.
    - The Breakfast Club

    Last edited by GHB#13; 08-19-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    GHB#13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram