Share your unpopular DMB opinions. - Page 192 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-12-2022, 09:42 PM   #5731
RSSR
Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Share your unpopular DMB opinions.

Yes, Can't Stop is a shit song. This is the unpopular opinion thread.
RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-13-2022, 05:43 AM   #5732
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    LWS Captain > all other captains, including Grand Funk Railroad - Im Your Captain.
    And the latter is a damn good captain. (Not unpopular take)
    JboDaveGuyYNK is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2022, 06:44 AM   #5733
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Yes, Can't Stop is a shit song. This is the unpopular opinion thread.

I know, right? Easy with the hot takes in here
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #5734
    NewOrleans

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    After hearing Come On Come On on LT46, I'm good without seeing it live. If it pops up on another LT release, I guess I don't care.
    Don't know if you've heard the 2022 versions of it, but it's a lot better. If you don't like the song at all, that probably doesn't help. But they do a good job with some subtle things on it now, and Dave's voice found it's comfy place on it.
    NewOrleans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #5735
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb417 View Post
    The only Halloween I like is the one from Gorge 2002, and even that one I listen to sparingly... There
    I like the song, but it's really one that's better in person. Feels special. Lots of energy and usually a surprise. Definitely not one I'm playing on my stereo out home while cooking dinner or putting in my headphones, unless I'm listening to a show start to finish. I don't seek it out and think I really need to hear Halloween today.
    Old 10-13-2022, 12:31 PM   #5736
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    #36 sounded like some other band parodying DMB, and not in a good way.
    I think it was born from the early days of the band needing a few filler songs to jam on for their sets. It became something that it was never intended to. A live staple. But a good version of it should be like 3 minutes. Which essentially is what morphed into everyday. Ballard was like, let's hone this 15 minute nonsense into something real.

But other than Carter's playing on it, it kind of just repeats itself with Boyd's plucking and Dave going Poo Poooo oooo ahhhh sadidididllly didddly dot ta doo ah so ah ah da dod dooo dooo whooooooooooooooop ahhh
    Old 10-13-2022, 03:04 PM   #5737
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

This is my favorite Halloween:

https://youtu.be/rA-tpjwbKAQ
    kmbean is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #5738
    theGIG15

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Saw a few folks over on TDC shitting on ABI...

The LT6 version is among my favorite live tracks the band has put out. It brings me to tears nearly every time I hear it (and I listen to it infrequently to preserve that effect it has on me). Yeah, it's four chords. Yeah, it's five words. But man, the sense of quiet desperation I feel coming from Dave's voice and Boyd's violin in the first half of the song just cut right through me, and it's game over when the thing breaks open. Plus, I love Butch's use of ambient electronics in the intro/outro. It may not lend to the quintessential DMB sound, but I absolutely love it.
    theGIG15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #5739
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    This is my favorite Halloween:

https://youtu.be/rA-tpjwbKAQ
    Great version. It was really cool when Dave and Carter played it at Haunted Hollow
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #5740
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGIG15 View Post

The LT6 version is among my favorite live tracks the band has put out. It brings me to tears nearly every time I hear it (and I listen to it infrequently to preserve that effect it has on me). Yeah, it's four chords. Yeah, it's five words. But man, the sense of quiet desperation I feel coming from Dave's voice and Boyd's violin in the first half of the song just cut right through me, and it's game over when the thing breaks open. Plus, I love Butch's use of ambient electronics in the intro/outro. It may not lend to the quintessential DMB sound, but I absolutely love it.
    ABI has to be about someone going through the five stages of grief. Which works for me about that song. It might tear up Dave's vocal chords, but I have enough live releases of it, so I'm content there if it means preserving Dave's chords or if he can no longer do the song like he once did because of his chords or Raab not letting him do it to that extent.
    Old 10-13-2022, 06:53 PM   #5741
    crounsa810

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

ABI from the 2007 Tour Sampler is among the best live performances this band has ever put out
    Old 10-17-2022, 06:44 PM   #5742
    Stgeurin

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Get ready for something you won’t like: The time bomb two step intro is elite and beats the ad lib intros.
    Stgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2022, 09:16 PM   #5743
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stgeurin View Post
    Get ready for something you won’t like: The time bomb two step intro is elite and beats the ad lib intros.

why do you think the time bomb intros are better?
    Old 10-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #5744
    sonicbooth77

Shows Seen: 128

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Agree 1000%. Love ABI so much and the LT6 version is incredible. Based on live recordings, it's a top 10 DMB song for me even though I know it shouldn't be. Simple but haunting chords, the slow build, the raw emotion, the jam...always gets me. Really wish they'd break into the full version from LITHOG, but probably not happening at this point.

I've wondered if not playing it is all to protect the voice or just another song that fell out of favor. I guess it never moved the needle much for most people. Personally I'd still love it even without the full screaming if that meant it showed up once in a while.
    sonicbooth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2022, 04:27 AM   #5745
    Stgeurin

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>Stgeurin</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">Get ready for something you won’t like: The time bomb two step intro is elite and beats the ad lib intros.</div>
    </div><br>
    why do you think the time bomb intros are better?
    For me I love the known commodity. I know every time I’m going to get a steady and strong build that ends on a high. I just feel like ad libs are always up in the air, most were good, some not so much. Especially the more recent ad libs that we’re often just mumbles. I always felt late 2007-2009 were great years for the ad lib intros. I’ll give him that for sure. I just like knowing I’m going to get that strong build and peak moment from time bomb.
    Old 10-18-2022, 04:32 AM   #5746
    Stgeurin

My Tour Central Stats

And on the ABI note: LT10 is my favorite version. Something about it. Boyd is somehow a concert violinist for a few minutes. Holding out the opening note for a few bars instead of going straight to that melody. He’s unreal on that one.
    Old 10-19-2022, 08:35 PM   #5747
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Radio City>Luther College
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #5748
    zrroot

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stgeurin View Post
    And on the ABI note: LT10 is my favorite version. Something about it. Boyd is somehow a concert violinist for a few minutes. Holding out the opening note for a few bars instead of going straight to that melody. He’s unreal on that one.
    Just listened, great version. Love the slow build up
    zrroot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #5749
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

I don't like the Derek Trucks LIOG or Watchtower performances. I think every solo he does sounds exactly the same. I get it's a style, and he's good at that style, but I would be okay if that was a one and done.

I think DT is wayyyyyyy overrated. And Susan Tedeschi's voice sounds like Maya Rudolph mocking a white soul singer. " I was booorrrrnn inn the chittttyyy... "

Last edited by NewOrleans; 10-26-2022 at 08:32 AM.
    Old 10-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #5750
    NewOrleans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    Radio City>Luther College
    This is too much. But can you explain further?

For me: The mix on Radio City is really rough on my ears. Tim is louder than Dave, and his guitar distorts just slightly. He is also slightly on the decline playing wise from his earlier days. He's lost a bit of his touch, and sticks to longer notes, the slide, and effects to cover for it. It also has vocal overdubs and autotune. I also think the set from Radio City is par for the course in 2007. Eh Hee, Cornbread, Sister, Down by The River.. All kind of duds for me which doesn't lend to repeat listens 15 years later. The overall set itself doesn't seem special at all for Dave and Tim. But I do enjoy watching the pro shot show of this. It's one of the best live videos of any act ever.

Luther is pristine sounding. It's crisp, warm, vibrant and mixed perfectly. I think it's Dave and Tim in their prime. Dave's voice is strong and fresh. Heading towards the biggest levels of fame, but not quite there. Still earning their fans attention. Tim's playing is prime. I'm still blown away by his ability on this show. The set is cold blooded killer. It's as classic as it gets. Not a bad song in the show. Even Stream is not skip worthy.

96/97/99 are the best years of Dave and Tim. Dave's voice was young and strong and so was Dave's guitar playing. Around 07, he got a bit lazy and has never really got back to how good he was in the 90's/early 2000's. I think post 2020 he's actually gotten better because he spent time at home playing again like the old days before he was famous.

Last edited by NewOrleans; 10-26-2022 at 08:46 AM.
    Old 10-26-2022, 08:46 AM   #5751
    hopewelljones

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewOrleans View Post
    I don't like the Derek Trucks LIOG or Watchtower performances. I think every solo he does sounds exactly the same. I get it's a style, and he's good at that style, but I would be okay if that was a one and done.

I think DT is wayyyyyyy overrated. And Susan Tedeschi's voice sounds like Maya Rudolph mocking a white soul singer. " I was booorrrrnn inn the chittttyyy... "
    Fuck Derek Trucks, fuck Susan Tedeschi!

Ugh you’re so negative! Lots of hate lately!
    hopewelljones is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #5752
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Come Tomorrow the song is a great song. The original version w/ minimized Brandi is so much better than the version w/ more Brandi. The lyrics are fine for me, but the music is excellent.

Not the 1st time I've posted this here, but it's prolly been a few years.

Also, I believe the Derek Trucks attack is trolling. If, however, it is not, it's because someone does not or cannot appreciate Derek's abilities in anyway. The man is just a living conduit for music. He does not limit himself to the confines of western music and we, through all the music he plays/participates in, are far better off because of it.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-26-2022, 12:05 PM   #5753
    DaveCrave41

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    Come Tomorrow the song is a great song. The original version w/ minimized Brandi is so much better than the version w/ more Brandi. The lyrics are fine for me, but the music is excellent.

Not the 1st time I've posted this here, but it's prolly been a few years.

Also, I believe the Derek Trucks attack is trolling. If, however, it is not, it's because someone does not or cannot appreciate Derek's abilities in anyway. The man is just a living conduit for music. He does not limit himself to the confines of western music and we, through all the music he plays/participates in, are far better off because of it.
    I'm also in the slim minority of fans who dig the song. The lyrics are fine with me as well. No shame.

Awesome that fans had the opportunity to ask Mark about DMB. Hopefully he didn't catch the red glare of anyone else involved.
    DaveCrave41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2022, 11:32 PM   #5754
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

This thread didn't deserve to die from the Stefan trolling.

Belly Belly Nice is a ridiculous and awesome DMB song. A very "Dave" song. If it pops up at MSG, I'd be thrilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K632_I6DWZc

This is fucking cool.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-12-2022, 07:46 AM   #5755
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

So, who’s supposed to be Fonz?
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-12-2022, 09:28 AM   #5756
    dreamstree41

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Something to Tell My Baby >> WIW or Belly Full

Rapunzel is the best full band song front-to-back

Spaceman should have been a single, it's one of the band's best post-LW

Drunken Soldier is a mess in the same way the current iterations of Shotgun are a mess

Rooftop truly blew my mind this past tour - the song rips

Few songs are more overrated than the Last Stop

The great songs on BWGGK, AFTW & CT are just as great as the great songs from pre-2003. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.
    Old 11-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #5757
    Gunz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamstree41 View Post
    Something to Tell My Baby >> WIW or Belly Full

Rapunzel is the best full band song front-to-back

Spaceman should have been a single, it's one of the band's best post-LW

Drunken Soldier is a mess in the same way the current iterations of Shotgun are a mess

Rooftop truly blew my mind this past tour - the song rips

Few songs are more overrated than the Last Stop

The great songs on BWGGK, AFTW & CT are just as great as the great songs from pre-2003. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.
    Agree with rooftop. Same thing happened to me.
    Gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #5758
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Mercy, Stay or Leave, Out of My Hands > Break Free, A Dream So Real, So Right
    Old 11-13-2022, 09:45 PM   #5759
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Do You Remember and Samurai Cop (Oh Joy Begin) is Big Three era good.
    Old 11-15-2022, 04:35 PM   #5760
    OutofDarkness

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Their cover of Fool in the Rain is an absolute banger, even though Dave's vocals are often kinda bad (lots and lots of slurring.) But the instrumental kicks ass. I'd welcome it at any show. It's even a good opener.

Also, Buddy's work during the breakdown reminds me of Peter Griesar's old Two Step outros.
    OutofDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote