Official Grateful Dead Thread - Page 168 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #5011
BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Grateful Dead Thread

$175 for pit...? yeeeeesh
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #5012
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I think I'm going to do Camden -> Foxborough -> Citi Field run since that seems pretty doable with not a crazy amount of driving for me. Now I just need to find someone to go with me to the Foxborough/Citi Field leg of the trip
    Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #5013
    mikesgordon

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

12/6/73

about to start this Dark Star, Eyes > Stella

mikesgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #5014
    mikesgordon

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

also scored a seat for the Jiffy Lube Live show next summer.
    mikesgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #5015
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Doing cheap seats for wrigley this year.
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #5016
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Just listened to Dark Star from Winterland 1974. So good.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #5017
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Doing Camden and thinking about doing SPAC as well. Camden's the home turf but seeing a show at SPAC is just such a blast.
    Old 12-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #5018
    CrushB610

My Tour Central Stats

Ended up snagging 2 Pit for Camden and 2 GA Field for Gillette 2 days later. Lookin forward to it.
    Old 12-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #5019
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Phil & Friends at Peach this summer. Hope that's the format he tours with for other shows. Warren Haynes is with him for Peach though, which I really gotta say, I'm a bit tired of him.
    Old 12-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #5020
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Help->Slip->Franklin's ~ 5/9/77 ~

That is all.
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 12-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #5021
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

As some of you might remember, I posted a few pages back about some rough times I have been experiencing in my personal life. Unfortunately, I am still living in those times through this holiday season.

My mind drifted today to thinking about the famous Brent Mydland meltdown on April 21st, 1986. For those of you who do not know about it, Brent had become very drunk throughout the night and decided to stay on stage during what was supposed to be the Drums->Space segment of the show, much to the surprise of the drummers. After a weird 2-3 minute improve jam between the three, Brent let his demons come out. He had been suffering from a deep depression and was going through a very difficult divorce that threatened his ability to see his daughter. He began an impromptu version of Maybe You Know.

The drummers did their best to stay with him, but Brent broke down a few minutes into the song and began to shout: “maybe you don’t know how I’m FUCKING feeling, but maybe to you it don’t seem so real.” Realizing that he was in trouble, Jerry promptly returned to the stage and broke into a version of Going Down the Road Feeling Bad. Brent barely played, but joined in the "feeling bad, bad bad" lines. Jerry followed this up by leading the band into a pretty emotional Morning Dew that many people in attendance say Jerry spent much of the song singing directly to Brent: "I thought I heard a young man cry today."

Just a really touching musical moment that plays to many levels of humanity. Going through some rough times recently, I can really sympathize with Brent and how sometimes it is just too much to keep it all in. We all have our demons and things we are dealing with in our personal lives and sometimes it is okay to let it show. I also love Jerry's response to his friend and band mate in distress. There was always a special bond between these two, but in this moment, it was really amazing to see Jerry playing the hero role and coming to Brent's aid.

One more amazing story in the history of The Grateful Dead, and one that resonates with me today.
    Old 12-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #5022
    Revolution36

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    As some of you might remember, I posted a few pages back about some rough times I have been experiencing in my personal life. Unfortunately, I am still living in those times through this holiday season.

My mind drifted today to thinking about the famous Brent Mydland meltdown on April 21st, 1986. For those of you who do not know about it, Brent had become very drunk throughout the night and decided to stay on stage during what was supposed to be the Drums->Space segment of the show, much to the surprise of the drummers. After a weird 2-3 minute improve jam between the three, Brent let his demons come out. He had been suffering from a deep depression and was going through a very difficult divorce that threatened his ability to see his daughter. He began an impromptu version of Maybe You Know.

The drummers did their best to stay with him, but Brent broke down a few minutes into the song and began to shout: “maybe you don’t know how I’m FUCKING feeling, but maybe to you it don’t seem so real.” Realizing that he was in trouble, Jerry promptly returned to the stage and broke into a version of Going Down the Road Feeling Bad. Brent barely played, but joined in the "feeling bad, bad bad" lines. Jerry followed this up by leading the band into a pretty emotional Morning Dew that many people in attendance say Jerry spent much of the song singing directly to Brent: "I thought I heard a young man cry today."

Just a really touching musical moment that plays to many levels of humanity. Going through some rough times recently, I can really sympathize with Brent and how sometimes it is just too much to keep it all in. We all have our demons and things we are dealing with in our personal lives and sometimes it is okay to let it show. I also love Jerry's response to his friend and band mate in distress. There was always a special bond between these two, but in this moment, it was really amazing to see Jerry playing the hero role and coming to Brent's aid.

One more amazing story in the history of The Grateful Dead, and one that resonates with me today.
    You're in my thoughts today man. Seeking out this show now, thanks for sharing.
    Old 01-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #5023
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

While at dinner tonight my wife and I were discussing our trip to NY this summer and decided it's best we use it as a birthday gift for both of us (hers in July/mine in May). Since we agreed on that she decided to spill her original idea for my 30th birthday this year. She was going to surprise me with Dead & Co tickets at Wrigley Field (I'm also a big Cubs fan). I told her it was a killer idea and she said "well now you really wanna do that don't you?"

Another conversation and a few hours later looks like I'm doing N2 at Wrigley!
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #5024
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post

I did not know about this and I'm a huge Brent fan. Feel like a noob now.
    Old 01-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #5025
    CrushB610

My Tour Central Stats

As long as my logistics situation works out, it appears as of now I'll be hittin up Wrigley for my first ever Dead & Co shows.

Skipping the local DMB @ Camden stop as they are rumored to be there the same weekend. Hopefully I made the right call, I think I did.
    Old 01-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #5026
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    As long as my logistics situation works out, it appears as of now I'll be hittin up Wrigley for my first ever Dead & Co shows.

Skipping the local DMB @ Camden stop as they are rumored to be there the same weekend. Hopefully I made the right call, I think I did.
    You 100% did. D&C will be miles better on a bad night than DMB is on a great night. As you said too, you've never seen D&C and you have DMB so it'll be good to break out some.
    Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #5027
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

My Tour Central Stats

Dead & Co is finally going to be available on Spotify. Fall/Winter 2017 tour is coming to all streaming services. Super happy about that. Wasn't joining Apple Music for only D&C content.

https://twitter.com/deadandcompany/s...89809995837441
    Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #5028
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    Dead & Co is finally going to be available on Spotify. Fall/Winter 2017 tour is coming to all streaming services. Super happy about that. Wasn't joining Apple Music for only D&C content.

about time. Been waiting forever for them to add more stuff on apple music. 16 summer has been on there forever and nothing since.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #5029
    twz22
    It's a boy

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

don't see anything new on Apple Music yet
    twz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #5030
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post

Great news
    Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #5031
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twz22 View Post
    don't see anything new on Apple Music yet
    It’s on there.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #5032
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

My Tour Central Stats

It is hard to find for whatever reason, but here’s the link. The only shows on there are from Mexico last February. Great BEW.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4QMY...QrOvotgHAqlxVw
    Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #5033
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

theyre listed strangely on apple music. you have to search "live at playing in the sand".. for some reason it comes up under "Dead Company" and not the dead & company page

Quote:
    Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #5034
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Which of those Playing in the Sand shows is regarded as the better show of the weekend? Thought I heard somewhere that they were a touch off that weekend.
    Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #5035
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Which of those Playing in the Sand shows is regarded as the better show of the weekend? Thought I heard somewhere that they were a touch off that weekend.
    they were off that weekend for sure, you can hear it off the first note on these recordings. I want to say the second night is the best if im remembering correctly.

Quote:
    Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #5036
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Enjoying the third night, but good lord some of these Weir vocals are brutal, he needs to stop singing Jerry's songs and let Mayer handle those
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #5037
    CrushB610

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    You 100% did. D&C will be miles better on a bad night than DMB is on a great night. As you said too, you've never seen D&C and you have DMB so it'll be good to break out some.
    Yeah I’m looking forward to it. Hoping to become friends with the people around us because we’re flying in so we’ll be lacking the necessary herbal supplements needed to enjoy a Dead show. That’s the one thing I’m kinda “worried” about.
    Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #5038
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    Yeah I’m looking forward to it. Hoping to become friends with the people around us because we’re flying in so we’ll be lacking the necessary herbal supplements needed to enjoy a Dead show. That’s the one thing I’m kinda “worried” about.
    It'll be beyond easy to find what you need on the lot.
    Old 01-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #5039
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Was reading a thread on Reddit about "What was Pigpen like" and came across this answer that I found really interesting.

Quote:
    This sort of answers the question in a digital age sort of way. Back in the days of AOL online forums - there was a dead forum that even Latvala was openly a part of. My uncle saw the Dead over 100 times between 1969 - 1974. He has always insisted that when you thought of the Grateful Dead back in '69 - '71 you thought of Pigpen. And he was the real reason you went to see the shows, not Garcia. This caused such controversy among heads. His testimony about Pigpen was he was the by far the most charismatic member and he commanded the entire crowd's attention. He would routinely spend hours online defending this position on Pigpen to folks who started seeing the Dead in the early 80's and who only knew Garcia as the driving force. He learned that much of what Pigpen brought to the live event was lost in translation to the tapes. He had some incredibly wild back and forths until more older heads came to his aid.
    I've head that Pigpen was a huge energy in the shows and could really commend the crowd. All those Lovelights and Little Schoolgirls were massive jams. But it's weird because I know the band wanted to try new stuff and progress in a different way but weren't able to as soon as they would've liked because Pigpen was very niche in him abilities (ie he was a bluesman and his range didn't expand beyond that). In the Amazon doc they talk about how after several years they all started to kinda shun him. They started pushing him away because he was, for lack of better words, on a different trip than everyone else, which led him to drink more and ultimately die.

All that said, it's such an interesting dynamic. This was just a unique perspective I hadn't heard before. It also begs to be asked, in this scenario, if Pigpen hadn't died would Jerry still become the front man? Would that have led to his death too?
    Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #5040
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

In case anyone needs a link

http://mixlr.com/the-hippie-channel

Quote: