Stefan Interview - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #31
SpotlightEyes
Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Stefan Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post
Not just this interview.....but always. "We play what Dave wants...period"..."I have no idea what to practice, Dave doens't tell us"....."I thought we were taking 2011 off from touring...wish I had a gig" (in regards to D&T shows). It seems he's always whining. Yes, he said the end part...probably to make it politically correct. But come on, it's Stefan, he's always a downer about things so you know he "HAD" to say it.
Stefan is a fan of DMB, and happens to be actually in the band.

What else would he do besides bitch?

Last edited by SpotlightEyes; 06-11-2013 at 02:13 PM.
SpotlightEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #32
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

well played
    Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #33
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

It all kind of makes sense. Without the Winter 2012 tour, the band undoubtedly would have been all about playing AFTW come summer 2013. But the album was released too far away from that, so the "album tour" had to happen sooner. Regardless of its length, the band played the entire album, and most of the songs on it, a lot. Then had months to come off it and regroup for summer 2013.

They were long over due to freshen up the set lists, and not simply by adding AFTW tunes. The standard set had gotten way too standard. So it was indeed the perfect opportunity to bring back some old songs in place of some worn-out regulars, and also sprinkle in the new album.

I think most would agree that we wish we hearing ZERO big whiskey songs and an extra song or two from AFTW to balance out 2013 better....but we've already gotten more than we could reasonably have hoped for.
    Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
    yanks7533

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

this thread is the ultimate summation of antsmarching.org...i'm going to go drink heavily now and try to erase the fact i just read the first page from my mind

If stefan was giving out HJ's to every member of the band with a smile on his face people would still think there was something wrong.

the band is in a better place on stage and with each other than ever (even if they are not writing the best music of their careers they are playing live just as good as ever and i'll listen to carter, stefan's, dave, jeff and rashawn's opinions over any of you squids)

Last edited by yanks7533; 06-11-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    yanks7533 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
    ajc_1988
    ...til we dance away.

Shows Seen: 153

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yanks7533 View Post
    this thread is the ultimate summation of antsmarching.org...i'm going to go drink heavily now and try to erase the fact i just read the first page from my mind

If stefan was giving out HJ's to every member of the band with a smile on his face people would still think there was something wrong.

the band is in a better place on stage and with each other than ever (even if they are not writing the best music of their careers they are playing live just as good as ever and i'll listen to carter, stefan's, dave, jeff and rashawn's opinions over any of you squids)
    hey now
    Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #36
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I know people like to feel all smart by saying everyone on the first page (including myself) is overreacting or reading too far into things. But no one ever said there was an actual issue. I just simply thought it was a funny quote when Stefan said it was a "great moment" when Dave did all the writing. We all know Stefan wants to be as involved in the music as possible and that's a GOOD thing, nothing wrong with that. And he's been very professional about it, so no issues there. If I were a major member of a band like DMB I wouldn't be as excited about an album that I had little do with in terms of the writing, and I am sure Stefan feels that way. That's all
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Everyday was also a DMB backed solo album, more or less. But AFTW sounds a lot more like a BAND record. It seems like although Dave wrote most of the songs, everybody was able to put their own stamp on the music.

I think of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as a precedent. For the first 10-15 years they were a real BAND, and presented themselves that way. Petty was always the star, but they put on a real band front. Then Petty started making solo albums, recording with other musicians, did the whole Traveling Wilburys thing. Then you have the Heartbreakers playing songs from Petty's solo albums, and they more or less became his backing band. Some members didn't like it and quit, and some were smart and realized that if they just hitched their wagon to Tom Petty, they'd have successful and lucrative carries.

Without Dave Matthews, all the band members would've probably had careers in music, but would not have accomplished anything like they have with DMB.
    podiumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #38
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yanks7533 View Post

We are Hammerheads
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post
    No I appreciate him saying this...but it was forced, as discussed. He did not genuinely mean that. He had to be politically correct in putting that part in there. He's always so whiny, aside from this, as I also said above. IN addition, he's always airing out his shit on Twitter/FB, then deleting them because one of his managers or close acquaintence probably advises him to.
    Were you there? Did you hear his tone of voice? There is absolutely nothing in that sentence or string of sentences that says that was forced. We've seen how passive aggressive and whiney Stefan can be, that was not passive aggressive or whiney. Maybe he thought past songs were forced and these seemed more natural? There's any number of reasons Stefan could genuinely like this batch of songs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dankguitar View Post
    You must not be a musician or songwriter if you think Dave was the weakest on the album. He constructed the songs from scratch which takes A LOT more than any other band member's contribution. And stand up and big whiskey were written more by the band as a unit and AFTW is much better.
    The act of doing something doesn't make it good. This is something way too many people in my (our?) generation fail to understand when it comes to music. Any of us can write a very personal, deep song right now, in the next 5 minutes. Most, if not all, will be terrible. With 5 other guys responsible for adding to the composition of music, it could fall apart at any given time. Or not even get there due to complacency, as we've seen in past records.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    Were you there? Did you hear his tone of voice? There is absolutely nothing in that sentence or string of sentences that says that was forced. We've seen how passive aggressive and whiney Stefan can be, that was not passive aggressive or whiney. Maybe he thought past songs were forced and these seemed more natural? There's any number of reasons Stefan could genuinely like this batch of songs.

The act of doing something doesn't make it good. This is something way too many people in my (our?) generation fail to understand when it comes to music. Any of us can write a very personal, deep song right now, in the next 5 minutes. Most, if not all, will be terrible. With 5 other guys responsible for adding to the composition of music, it could fall apart at any given time. Or not even get there due to complacency, as we've seen in past records.
    I never said Dave deserves props just for making songs. These songs actually happen to be pretty strong compositions for someone who has been writing for over 2 decades now. That is hard to come by. Writing good music becomes increasingly difficult over time. I don't understand how anyone could have the knowledge that Dave basically wrote this album and still think he's the weakest link. If the songs were complete shit then I'd understand.
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 07:09 AM   #41
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

New interview from Bass Player:

https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/t...f-whats-around

I'm a woulda been musician, so I love this type of interview, but it might still be interesting to folks to read about his playing and process for the latest album and the tour.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #42
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Three and a half hour sets huh?
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #43
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    New interview from Bass Player:

https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/t...f-whats-around

I'm a woulda been musician, so I love this type of interview, but it might still be interesting to folks to read about his playing and process for the latest album and the tour.
    Thanks for sharing this, grilldanmo, I love his bass playing (amateur bassist myself)

It’s so cool to hear that he played my favorite bass of all time (his Warwick Thumb 6) on my favorite songs from the past decade (Hands of God, and Virginia in the Rain)
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #44
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Three and a half hour sets huh?
    Lol, I think they mean 3+ hour concerts, not necessarily set time. They “start” at 8 and usually go well past 11
    Old 09-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #45
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

I think there’s only a handful of sets with actual run time over three hours
    Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #46
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, grilldanmo, I love his bass playing (amateur bassist myself)

It’s so cool to hear that he played my favorite bass of all time (his Warwick Thumb 6) on my favorite songs from the past decade (Hands of God, and Virginia in the Rain)
    I find what he says about his playing on the early stuff to be quite interesting. I've always loved his playing and sound, but apparently he hasn't. But that's not uncommon for artists that are always looking to evolve and grow...unlike to an unnamed four-string player that is no longer with the band.

Last edited by grilldanmo; 09-13-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #47
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I find what he says about his playing on the early stuff to be quite interesting. I've always loved his playing and sound, but apparently he hasn't. But that's not uncommon for artists that are always looking to evolve and grow...unlike to an unnamed four-string player that is no longer with the band.
    Lol! Yeah I know what you mean. An artist who looks to grow and improve is always going to view their more recent work as more accomplished than their earlier efforts. We have the pleasure of viewing/listening from a somewhat unbiased perspective.
    Old 09-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #48
    tripeyedfish

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But that's not uncommon for artists that are always looking to evolve and grow...unlike to an unnamed four-string player that is no longer with the band.
    Jesus...Dave’s getting there too! He’s evolved and grown so much as a guitar player, he’s starting to shed it completely
    tripeyedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #49
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stefan
    Everyday and beyond would be my favorite material to play live
    ...yiiiiiiikkkes
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #50
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    ...yiiiiiiikkkes
    I know he likes a lot of the deep cuts, so I’m sure he enjoys playing those songs live. But I’d imagine they all have to be pretty tired of playing What Would You Say, Ants Marching, Warehouse, #41, Tripping Billies, Don’t Drink the Water, Satellite, Typical Situation, One Sweet World, So Much To Say, Rapunzel, Jimi Thing, Crush, etc. by now after 27 years.

Sadly, I think they’d be content with not playing any of their 90s material any more
    Old 09-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #51
    wrhslax1996
    "Hypocritical Elitist"

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

But I think dreaming tree is a phenomenal bass song that he is pretty active throughout. He'd obviously know better than I would since he wrote the damn parts but I had always figured that had to have been one of his favorites.
    Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #52
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrhslax1996 View Post
    But I think dreaming tree is a phenomenal bass song that he is pretty active throughout. He'd obviously know better than I would since he wrote the damn parts but I had always figured that had to have been one of his favorites.
    I think it is, I’ve seen him say things about it. And there’s a few others from that era that he’s wanted to bring back (Blue Water, etc). I think he was speaking more generally and broad, like the 90s material as a whole (like 90% of it, not all of it)
    Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #53
    BringBackButchT

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    ...yiiiiiiikkkes
    It's really not surprising that he liked material he worked on later in his career. Most artists do. Especially in his case as he was not coming into the band "fully formed" like Carter, Roi, and Boyd.
    BringBackButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #54
    greenpick41
    No BS in the Studio

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

That was a very cool interview thanks for sharing!
    Old 09-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #55
    Climb2safety
    Free your mind

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I sent this to my son, he’ll understand the music and bass stuff mmore now f it than I do, he’s applying to music school next year for electric bass with a major in jazz performance.

Victor Wooten is his favorite bassist, he found and learned all about him by himself too.

Thanks for sharing it.

This town is nuts, my kind of place. I don't never ever want to leave....
    Climb2safety is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #56
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Not a bad article. People are definitely going to be prone to read between lines that aren't there. The material after Everyday is where he became a more textured player, writing lines that weren't merely following the root or fulfilling a pattern. It may not be lyrically as ensnaring as we would like, but from a musician perspective, would you really rather play "Ants Marching" over any of the newer material?

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #57
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrhslax1996 View Post
    According to old info, Stefan did more than write the bass parts:

https://dontburnthepig.org/archives-...ming-tree.html

Per this, it's Stef's tune...which I only just learned today.

Fucking amazing song.
    Old 09-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #58
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

I love that he mentions Shel in that '98 interview, years away from having kids.

I've always though Stefan has played bass like McCartney, loves being all over the fretboard - just listen to the intro to STJL from R2T.
    Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #59
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    I love that he mentions Shel in that '98 interview, years away from having kids.

I've always though Stefan has played bass like McCartney, loves being all over the fretboard - just listen to the intro to STJL from R2T.
    His bass sounds so good on Two Things
    Old 09-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #60
    Hilly

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    His bass sounds so good on Two Things

I think it sounds good on more than two things.

Tags
    dave , dmb , interview , poop , stefan