Is Ticketmaster Corrupt?? - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: is ticketmaster corrupt
yes 179 85.65%
no 30 14.35%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #121
Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Is Ticketmaster Corrupt??

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
If only double was all they charged. How about 5 times or more the face value like the prices REALLY are?
Yeah for the first 20 rows which you won't get off Tm anyways
Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-31-2007, 12:40 PM   #122
    Bmwm3oz

Shows Seen: 48

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by On Bended Knees View Post
    life's unfair, everyone knows that, we dont need to be reminded of it constantly with incessant bitching.
    Bmwm3oz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #123
    ant_marching41
    The Jedi

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cryfreedmb41 View Post
    I wasn't gloating. I was just saying I've been on the other end of the stick. I've worked for many companies and we've all handled things in similar ways. I'm sure there's tons of other companies that do things different but in my perspective taking the mature route in life no matter how pissed you are and no matter who it is you're taking to, it'll always get you further.
    Good, we agree on that.

You were gloating though. Maybe you didnt mean it that way, but with the way you worded it, you were being very smug about it. "Maybe its because" is a very smug choice of words, and I read it that way, and i dont see any other way to interpret that.

Bottom line, it doesnt matter how any of us choose to word our angry letters. Nothing will change.
    Old 03-31-2007, 01:04 PM   #124
    solfeggio4

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

If you go to the tour forum, there are actually quite a few people who got seats (some trying again after noon even). I'm not saying there isn't corruption and it doesn't suck (I ended up empty handed at 11:00 on the dot), but there has to be some sort of method to TMs madness. I mean, there were probably thousands of people logging onto their servers at 11 (not counting the 2 or 3 other big concerts that went onsale today). There has to be some sort of system to avoid crashing their site. Maybe they release tickets every few minutes or something. I think we should probably try to understand how TM's website works exactly before we assume they are "screwing us."

As for scalpers and things, laws vary state to state. They have been around since the beginning of tickets, and they probably won't be going away anytime soon.
    solfeggio4 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #125
    On Bended Knees
    Hey Now

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

who ru quoting?
    On Bended Knees is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #126
    ant_marching41
    The Jedi

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    who ru quoting?
    Spreading it around aren't ya?
    Old 03-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #127
    TheKramer26
    Big 4

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinbstbll9 View Post
    The funny part is if the people who are bitching pulled good seats or seats at all they wouldn't be bitching...
    Ticketmaster is all about timing and the Warehouse is all about luck.
    There has to be a better way to run things. The two things that you have to bank on to get tickets to a show that you want to go to is Timing and Luck? That's FUCKING BULLSHIT!
    TheKramer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #128
    GoLdpHiShDMB
    Broad St. Bullies

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I got screwed by warehouse and ticketmaster.

Hopefully my friends here on Ants or Ebay don't screw me.

I am going to this concert in NY no matter what
    Old 03-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #129
    thegreatr1
    23 & tired of life

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

I think that everyone who is claiming this should be illegal needs to take a good, hard look at what constitutes legal and not legal.

Each state governs its own ticketing laws differently. These people who are selling tickets for $7,000 are breaking no laws for multiple reasons. First and foremost, as someone mentioned, most ticket brokers are based out of offices in other counties for that very reason.

Go to the source, you say, and go after ticketmaster? For what, exactly, releasing tickets to the public and having an outrageous number of people try to get tickets at once? The only way any type of law suit could ever be brought against ticketmaster would be if someone was caught selling tickets prior to the published onsale date/time. Problem is, if that were the case, ticketmaster would take action, fire that individual, and claim no responsibility as a company, thus not allowing a lawsuit to be filed against them once again.

How do we get around this mess? Writing to congress or a senator or person of the sort? Highly doubtful, as matters such as this, even when added up comes to millions of dollars, is trivial when matters of healthcare, employment, and homeland security are on the table.

The bottom line is the individual bands, if they feel as strongly as their fans do, need to take a stand like Pearl Jam tried to do. They need to come up with a ticket selling system, pay for it, monitor it, and so on. Until someone does, and does so successfully, we can count on ridiculous posts such as these for any type of high profile event, DMB or otherwise.

"You shouldn't take life so seriously. You'll never make it out alive." - VW
    thegreatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #130
    chr35919
    Chris

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegreatr1 View Post
    The bottom line is the individual bands, if they feel as strongly as their fans do, need to take a stand like Pearl Jam tried to do. They need to come up with a ticket selling system, pay for it, monitor it, and so on. Until someone does, and does so successfully, we can count on ridiculous posts such as these for any type of high profile event, DMB or otherwise.
    right, so because dmb/management is stingy, the hardcore fans take in the butt.

chr35919 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 02:30 PM   #131
    sir iggius

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you guys are all retards. channel your frustration into something constructive. i found a couple sites selling tickets for 150 bucks to RCMH. stop fucking whining. 150 is double face value, get the fuck over it. i just paid 235 for a ticket in the first mezzanine. stop whining and buy a ticket.
    My only question is that did you read my first post? If you did, then you might be the "fucking retard."
    sir iggius is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #132
    Fisherman
    Insert title here

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Is the Pope Catholic?

Active Download: Dave And Tim 2-5-99 Full Show:
    http://music.ibiblio.org/pub/multime...99-02-05.shnf/
    Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #133
    cryfreedmb41
    SPAC Vet

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ant_marching41 View Post
    Good, we agree on that.

You were gloating though. Maybe you didnt mean it that way, but with the way you worded it, you were being very smug about it. "Maybe its because" is a very smug choice of words, and I read it that way, and i dont see any other way to interpret that.

Bottom line, it doesnt matter how any of us choose to word our angry letters. Nothing will change.
    Ahhh see it was supposed to be interpreted like "i dont know, maybe...." like uncertainty of why I feel it was inappropriate to write a little like that. Not smug at all

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Explicitrydes View Post
    please, i'm like Lance Armstrong!!! minus the whole one nut thing
    cryfreedmb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #134
    hotniks160
    is my great escape

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BOTRNewmusic View Post
    ebay has about 40 auctions available right now....all scalpers.

how does an entire fanbase get shut out of a show, yet scalpers ALL have tickets...
    because the warehouse really does not work that hard for the 45 we give them every year. Solution? INCREASE THE MONTHLY CHARGE it would cause people to drop their membership, but hey, if it guaranteed me tickets to everyshow i requested, I'd be down to pay extra membership fees. make it a first come first serve request thing too..whatduayll think?

hotniks160 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 03:55 PM   #135
    tedies
    You have to say it

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotniks160 View Post
    because the warehouse really does not work that hard for the 45 we give them every year. Solution? INCREASE THE MONTHLY CHARGE it would cause people to drop their membership, but hey, if it guaranteed me tickets to everyshow i requested, I'd be down to pay extra membership fees. make it a first come first serve request thing too..whatduayll think?
    And its $35
    I'm thinking about becoming a Reds fan.
    tedies is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #136
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotniks160 View Post

The real solution would be to have all tickets picked up at the box office of the venue right before you walk in. Whether you get them through the WH or TM, all tickets picked up at the venue. That would get rid of ppl buying WH tickets and reselling them on ebay, and the ticket brokers wont be able to have the tickets either. For those who sell their tickets to fellow Ants, either meet at the venue, or call the venue to inform them of the change that someone else, who you are allowing to pick up the tickets, is taking them.
    Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #137
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BOTRNewmusic View Post
    ebay has about 40 auctions available right now....all scalpers.

how does an entire fanbase get shut out of a show, yet scalpers ALL have tickets...

I hate scalpers. Something is very, very wrong with the system.
    Old 03-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #138
    GoLdpHiShDMB
    Broad St. Bullies

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

It's like the scalpers work for ticketmaster... and they pretend to sell tickets for 40 bucks and then suddenly they're charging people 200 bucks through scalpers. And they probably work for the government

Old 03-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #139
    DvMatthewsBnd

Shows Seen: 125

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

so i think a lot of the problem is where the seats go before tm and the warehouse...i work for a company in MA and there are about 40 tickets or so available for purchase/give away for the dave and tim umass show, multiply that by lots of corporations and you get a large amount of tickets that go to people who are not warehouse members or ticketmaster hopefuls, the warehouse does the best they can and ticketmaster sells whats left, this really comes to a head when a show like dave and tim comes around where there are such a small amount...

i got shut out of all the d+t shows in '03 and bought a single on tm the morning of the show 20 rows from he stage...if you want to get into the show youll find a way

we're spoiled on the east coast with dave anyways
    DvMatthewsBnd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 04:46 PM   #140
    cryfreedmb41
    SPAC Vet

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DvMatthewsBnd View Post
    so i think a lot of the problem is where the seats go before tm and the warehouse...i work for a company in MA and there are about 40 tickets or so available for purchase/give away for the dave and tim umass show, multiply that by lots of corporations and you get a large amount of tickets that go to people who are not warehouse members or ticketmaster hopefuls, the warehouse does the best they can and ticketmaster sells whats left, this really comes to a head when a show like dave and tim comes around where there are such a small amount...

i got shut out of all the d+t shows in '03 and bought a single on tm the morning of the show 20 rows from he stage...if you want to get into the show youll find a way

we're spoiled on the east coast with dave anyways
    How does that happen? Are they tickets that are left over from a radio station giveaway lets say, or does TM hang on to some?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Explicitrydes View Post
    please, i'm like Lance Armstrong!!! minus the whole one nut thing
    cryfreedmb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 04:59 PM   #141
    Sami22782
    ® S.S.V.

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonnyJoyRidin View Post
    IT'S A DISGRACE AND EVERYONE TURNS A BLIND EYE TO THE BIGGER PICTURE GOING ON HERE!!! YOU KNOW THESE FORMER TICKETMASTER EMPLOYEES & SCALPERS HAVE WAYS TO GET INTO THE SYSTEM BEFORE US. THEY THEN GOBBLE THEM UP AND SELL THEM FOR ASTRONOMICAL PRICES THAT THE EVERYDAY FAN CAN'T AFFORD!!! MAYBE IF MY DADDY WAS RICH HE COULD BUY ME TICKETS FOR 7G'S EACH!!! OR MAYBE IF I WORKED FOR CORPORATE AMERICA AND SAT ON MY ASS ALL DAY AND DID COKE WHILE I CHEATED AMERICA I COULD GET A PAIR WITHOUT THE CLICK OF A MOUSE!! THIS IS JUST UNFAIR!!!!

TWO BIG FUCKING THUMBS DOWN FOR DMB TO ASSOCIATE THEMSELVE'S WITH THIS CORPORATE CORRUPTION!!!!

Congrats to those who got them!! I hope to see you there if I can get a true fan to sell them to me for the right price.
    Here in Australia, buying and reselling tix on ebay was recently outlawed. A lot of people had their tickets cancelled for the Ashes Test (cricket) last year. Perhaps the government needs to look at the problem, and change some laws.

And yes, congrats on those who got them! Have a good time.
    Old 03-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #142
    DTRM30
    Whatever !

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Originally Posted by tmorry326 http://antsmarching.org/forum/images...s/viewpost.gif
    How does Stub Hub do this legally? I'm sure it's been explained before but I've never heard.

And, yes, ticketmaster is the suckbox.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb41carter36 View Post
    Laws about Re-selling tickets are generally regulated by each state. For example, in PA, it's illegal to re-sell or buy any ticket online for more that 2x the face value.
    Places like stub hub and other brokers get around the scalping / re-selling rules by charging face value for the ticket - and the rest of the charges are "handling" fees so technically - the ticket isn't being sold over face value.
    People who sell privately off of e-bay are another story. But again, can get around the issue if on the invoice they do the same thing as the brokers do ... give a breakdown of the costs - stating face value for the ticket and the rest are convenience / handling / shipping fees.

"DMBc runs on complaints. Its like the river of goo in Ghostbusters II. If people didn't bitch so much, we would have noone to make fun of."
    Old 03-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #143
    Jpikr005

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

join the warehouse
    Old 03-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #144
    DTRM30
    Whatever !

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really don't care how "professional" I am. They want to hear my opinion, they're gonna get my opinion. They're screwing us over, they deserve a real punsihment. You don't like the bus? How about castrating them with a table saw? I'd settle for that.
    Just FYI for those who don't know - stub hub isn't a direct broker - they are just a third party selling site - similar to e-bay - only not an auction. People list the tickets for sale on the site and the people who actually have the tickets set the price - not stub hub. Stub hub takes a commission on the final selling price and arranges the shipping. So you can't bitch to stub hub about the prices because they aren't setting the prices ...
    but, there are a lot of actual "brokers" who I'm sure use stub hub to market their tickets - since stub hub is well known.

"DMBc runs on complaints. Its like the river of goo in Ghostbusters II. If people didn't bitch so much, we would have noone to make fun of."
    Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #145
    yanks13142

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

im in the WH and got declined and tried on TM too. I assumed i wouldnt get them on TM so im not that upset that i didnt get them, but i do agree that the scalpers are ridiculous. I do wish that DMB could do something like a presale other than the WH lottery. For example, Incubus just toured and played all small venues. If u bought their new album, u got a code for a presale on ticketmaster. I got tickets that way. then when they went onsale to the public they were impossible just like these. I'll keep tryin for D+T but not get my hopes up haha.
    Old 03-31-2007, 05:33 PM   #146
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yanks13142 View Post
    im in the WH and got declined and tried on TM too. I assumed i wouldnt get them on TM so im not that upset that i didnt get them, but i do agree that the scalpers are ridiculous. I do wish that DMB could do something like a presale other than the WH lottery. For example, Incubus just toured and played all small venues. If u bought their new album, u got a code for a presale on ticketmaster. I got tickets that way. then when they went onsale to the public they were impossible just like these. I'll keep tryin for D+T but not get my hopes up haha.

But at least it was their actual fans that got the tickets. And the prices weren't jacked up to the point where normal people couldnt afford them. The radio stations and companies that get them, I bet most people that get tickets through there barely even know who DMB is. Anything outside of Ants and Crash they have no clue about.
    Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #147
    DvMatthewsBnd

Shows Seen: 125

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cryfreedmb41 View Post
    How does that happen? Are they tickets that are left over from a radio station giveaway lets say, or does TM hang on to some?
    there are just a certain amount that are allotted to us for most every concert, and i assume there are the same everywhere...i think they are direct from the venue, its like a corporate sponsorship type thing, kind of the same way companies have sporting event tickets
    DvMatthewsBnd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-31-2007, 05:59 PM   #148
    DTRM30
    Whatever !

My Tour Central Stats

someone on here mentioned a good point that a lot of us don't seem to think about - and it's not so much that the brokers have deals with TM - because I'm sure they do, but ... so do a lot of LARGE corporations as well as radio stations and such - that I'm sure TM and the venues both have contracts for seating. That adds up to a lot of tickets that are "pre-sold" via contracts with venues. Sucks for those of us who are just trying to get a ticket ...

Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #149
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

FUCK YOU TICKETMASTER! Seriously though some people should write to congress and make some noise on this issue because TM and scalpers seriously screw over fans of every major sports team, every musician, etc. It is a flawed system that needs to be fixed. There has to be a way to makes the current system better. I don't beleive in any of this corporate bullshit eiether, fuck the people who work for the sponsors, if they want to get a ticket they can get one just like the rest of us.
    Old 03-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #150
    hotniks160
    is my great escape

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tedies View Post
    And its $35
    ok so you wOULD NOT PAY more money to guarantee tix to RCMH?

Quote:
    The real solution would be to have all tickets picked up at the box office of the venue right before you walk in. Whether you get them through the WH or TM, all tickets picked up at the venue. That would get rid of ppl buying WH tickets and reselling them on ebay, and the ticket brokers wont be able to have the tickets either. For those who sell their tickets to fellow Ants, either meet at the venue, or call the venue to inform them of the change that someone else, who you are allowing to pick up the tickets, is taking them.
    now that is true, but you still have the problem of forgery. also, Not everyone uses their own credit card to buy tickets. TAKE Benco for example, his mom buys his tickets

hotniks160 is offline   Reply With Quote