15. sharvey - 15
    woody33 - 15
    Minarets#40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #183
    Minarets#40
    for really...

Shows Seen: 56

Re: Fantasy Tour Discussion

look at maya... tied for first!! (cornbread was huge... and Senator12 caught OOMH)
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #184
    maya

Shows Seen: 1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Minarets#40 View Post
    look at maya... tied for first!! (cornbread was huge... and Senator12 caught OOMH)
    Sweet baby jesus! i need to pay more attention.. when did that happen?
    maya is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #185
    taparoo

So is Cornbread a Group D tune?
    taparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #186
    JamesM
    Stickam Gang.

Shows Seen: 2
    Send a message via AIM to JamesM

^ yes but i just requested it
    JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #187
    Senator12

Shows Seen: 13
    Send a message via AIM to Senator12

Quote:
    Senator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #188
    zeppelinman

Shows Seen: 22

I hope Cornbread isn't placed in Group D only for the fact that if it is played as often as Sister was last year, than the people who were quick enough to pick it up will get more than half of their total points from one song. I'm not trying to be bitchy because I didn't pick it up and I know I already have quite a few points. I just think it wouldn't be fair to all the others who couldn't request it quick enough to give 5 points to a song that could very well be played at most every tour stop.
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #189
    Minarets#40
    for really...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeppelinman View Post
    I hope Cornbread isn't placed in Group D only for the fact that if it is played as often as Sister was last year, than the people who were quick enough to pick it up will get more than half of their total points from one song. I'm not trying to be bitchy because I didn't pick it up and I know I already have quite a few points. I just think it wouldn't be fair to all the others who couldn't request it quick enough to give 5 points to a song that could very well be played at most every tour stop.
    if it becomes a little monster, we'll do something about it. I agree that if it turns into a situation where the 10 people with Cornbread win their leagues that sounds totally unfair. right now it's just two shows, and no one had it for the first one, so it's only made 5 points difference, but if it starts to get rediculous, don't worry. we're reasonable people
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #190
    Minarets#40
    for really...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taparoo View Post
    So is Cornbread a Group D tune?
    currently. see my last post.
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #191
    JamesM
    Stickam Gang.

I picked up Cornbread

so if later in tour its changed to group B, will i keep my points from when it was a group D?
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #192
    Minarets#40
    for really...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
    I picked up Cornbread

so if later in tour its changed to group B, will i keep my points from when it was a group D?
    you're getting a little ahead of us... Jantz hasn't verified for certain that it'll be group D to start with (so all those scores could potentially change) and if we have to make a change to keep it fair, we'll decide then what we'll do. let's see if it's even going to be an issue. it's still early...
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #193
    JamesM
    Stickam Gang.

aight dude
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #194
    TGaucho
    A Fool To Think

Shows Seen: 18
    Send a message via AIM to TGaucho

Quote:
    uh, i wholeheartedly disagree. It can't be moved up to a different bracket just because it looks now like it may be played a lot this summer. That would be bullshit. That's the whole point of the free agent song system: to reward (or punish) people that jump on a song that was overlooked for reasons of rarity and then is put in the rotation for the summer. People that didn't "request it quick enough" are out of luck, just like in any fantasy league.

for example, i picked up Frank Gore last year in Fantasy Football. Why? Because i was vigilant. I payed close attention to the games and the weekly stats, and i took a chance on him before anyone else could pick him up. It payed off. There is no logic in the world that says that i shouldn't've recieved full credit for his stats just because he wasn't drafted and no one expected him to earn any points. I was rewarded for my speed and for the attention i was paying.

besides, look at it this way, i picked up Cornbread last night before anyone else in my league, dropping If I Had It All. It could've backfired. Cornbread could have been a one or two time thing (still could be), and IIHIA could still end up being played significantly more than that. No fair changing the rules now that the band has tipped their hand a bit. You know full well that if someone had drafted Cornbread originally it would've been classified an obvious bottom tier song. End of story

~ DMB Fantasy Tour 2007 CHAMPION ~
    TGaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #195
    Minarets#40
    for really...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TGaucho View Post
    for example, i picked up Frank Gore last year in Fantasy Football. Why? Because i was vigilant. I payed close attention to the games and the weekly stats, and i took a chance on him before anyone else could pick him up. It payed off. There is no logic in the world that says that i shouldn't've recieved full credit for his stats just because he wasn't drafted and no one expected him to earn any points. I was rewarded for my speed and for the attention i was paying.
    consider this...
    what if I were at the show? I hear the song played, and decide I totally want to pick it up, but by the time I can get to a computer, it's gone.

on the other hand...
    I understand and see a lot of reason in your point. I didn't say for sure that we'd change it, but I can't guarantee that we wouldn't. Honestly, I think we'd try to have another discussion about it (like the new songs discussion) before doing anything. we do appreciate and want to take into consideration the opinion of everyone playing the game.
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #196
    zeppelinman

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TGaucho View Post
    uh, i wholeheartedly disagree. It can't be moved up to a different bracket just because it looks now like it may be played a lot this summer. That would be bullshit. That's the whole point of the free agent song system: to reward (or punish) people that jump on a song that was overlooked for reasons of rarity and then is put in the rotation for the summer. People that didn't "request it quick enough" are out of luck, just like in any fantasy league.

besides, look at it this way, i picked up Cornbread last night before anyone else in my league, dropping If I Had It All. It could've backfired. Cornbread could have been a one or two time thing (still could be), and IIHIA could still end up being played significantly more than that. No fair changing the rules now that the band has tipped their hand a bit. You know full well that if someone had drafted Cornbread originally it would've been classified an obvious bottom tier song. End of story
    I see where you come from but some people don't have the time to watch the real time setlists and to immediately act to change their fantasy picks. I got pretty lucky coming home tonight to do so with OOMH, but Cornbread has overall better prospects. Plus we don't have Jantz to make an official decision. And please don't compare this to Fantasy Football which is far more complex matter of stats where this is solely based on being played or spotted.
    Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #197
    maya

if you can get a hold of Jantz. The man is slippery, just when you think you have him BAM there's a wall.... and no Jantz.
    maya is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #198
    TGaucho
    A Fool To Think

Quote:
    consider this...
    what if I were at the show? I hear the song played, and decide I totally want to pick it up, but by the time I can get to a computer, it's gone.

on the other hand...
    I understand and see a lot of reason in your point. I didn't say for sure that we'd change it, but I can't guarantee that we wouldn't. Honestly, I think we'd try to have another discussion about it (like the new songs discussion) before doing anything. we do appreciate and want to take into consideration the opinion of everyone playing the game.
    alright. The "At The Show" scenario transfers over to a regular Fantasy Sports League as well. If i were at the Niner game when Frank Gore first went off I would have had a distinct disadvantage in terms of picking him up before the other people in my league who were not at a game that day. If i were really really serious about it, i might go the extra mile and call a friend or family member and have them pick Gore up, or i could try and do it on my phone. Yes, i would have a disadvantage, but that's normal in any Fantasy scenario. To try and compensate for such a disadvantage by punishing the people that were on the ball is unfair in my opinion.

The bottom line is this: where would the song have been ranked on Draft Day? The answer to that question is obvious.

I understand fully that any current Cornbread point objections are centered on fairness . . i understand that some people will have less fun if every league winner is a Cornbread owner. And i know that this is supposed to be for fun, and thus anything that lessens the fun of it should be looked at and perhaps dealt with. I get it. Really. I want everyone to have fun. I really do. That should be the primary focus of our little enterprise here. Absolutely.

But punishing those of us that picked it up isn't even close to fair. What this debate centers on is the system that's been set up. If this is a Fantasy League, and if this League is to honor the concept of a Free Agent Pool, then there shouldn't be any meddling just becuase a surprise song is stepping up to the plate. That's the whole point of a Free Agent Pool. Two years ago a few Fantasy Baseball owners took a chance on an unknown named Ryan Howard half way through the year. Those people were rewarded. That's how Fantasy competition works.

Besides, at this point, we don't even know how often it'll get played. It appears that it will be a common E1 selection, but we don't know. It's entirely possible that it could be fazed out over the summer. We're only on Night 2 here

Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #199
    TGaucho
    A Fool To Think

Quote:
    I see where you come from but some people don't have the time to watch the real time setlists and to immediately act to change their fantasy picks.
    well that's their loss then. Everyone was aware of the Free Agent Pool system prior to the tour. That some people weren't prepared is none of my concern, and shouldn't affect those of us that were
    Quote:
    I got pretty lucky coming home tonight to do so with OOMH, but Cornbread has overall better prospects.
    It has better overall prospects, true. But that has no impact on what its prospects were before the season started. On draft day we were given Categories to choose from. Nothing in this debate can touch what value the song would've had then, and that's what matters here
    Quote:
    Plus we don't have Jantz to make an official decision.
    true. Obviously we're all awaiting his decision. It's his league, and thus his call.
    Quote:
    And please don't compare this to Fantasy Football which is far more complex matter of stats where this is solely based on being played or spotted.
    This is called the DMB Fantasy League, is it not? This league is based on the Fantasy framework, thus the comparison is legit. There was a Fantasy style draft, we are all owners of a lineup that we're rooting for to score us points, we can add, drop and trade. It's called a Fantasy League, it was sold to us as a Fantasy League, it shares the same basic attributes as a Fantasy League. I see no problem here.

Last edited by TGaucho; 08-03-2007 at 12:23 AM.
    Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #200
    zeppelinman

I see your point, but for me I guess I was hoping for a more level playing field to make this more fun. You also have to consider that more people might have payed attention to Cornbread if it was indeed on the song list (probably in Group D). I honestly think most people forgot about it until now. I know its too early to tell about Cornbread, true, I just don't want the whole playoffs to come down to having the sole song. I'll quit bitching, though, because I know its not up to me. So here's to a great fantasy tour!
    Old 08-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #201
    Minarets#40
    for really...

I really do appreciate ya'll's commentary. I'm promise that Jantz and I will do everything we can to keep the league in as good a balance of fun and fairness as we can. I see everyone's points, and they all seem reasonable... let's just wait for Jantz at this point.
    Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM   #202
    JamesM
    Stickam Gang.

Two Step
    Cornbread
    Warehouse
    Too Much
    Grace is Gone

how can i lose?
    Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #203
    bradshaw06

Shows Seen: 19
    Send a message via AIM to bradshaw06

you aint never had my cornbread!
    Old 08-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #204
    TGaucho
    A Fool To Think

Quote:
    I see your point, but for me I guess I was hoping for a more level playing field to make this more fun. You also have to consider that more people might have payed attention to Cornbread if it was indeed on the song list (probably in Group D). I honestly think most people forgot about it until now. I know its too early to tell about Cornbread, true, I just don't want the whole playoffs to come down to having the sole song. I'll quit bitching, though, because I know its not up to me. So here's to a great fantasy tour!
    Fair enough. Here's to it! *clinksfrostymug*

Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #205
    Minarets#40
    for really...

for the record (Still Water) does NOT count as Cover song, and that's how it's reported on the road page tonight
    Old 08-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #206
    JamesM
    Stickam Gang.

3 songs and a "C" song spot!
    Old 08-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #207
    Minarets#40
    for really...