Family History - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Family History

has anyone else done a detailed family history?

I was sort of roped into it (by my mother) which of course played right into my obsessive/compulsive nature, and now I'm digging thru records of 6xg grandfathers for birth dates and death dates.

if you're one of those lurkers who is just interested... I don't pay for any historical work (don't use Ancestry, or any other system). I use Gramps - a free software to track the generations, and the majority of my searching is on-line via family search (thank you Mormons!) - just click on the search button. Or I go thru Find-a-Grave, or if I'm far enough back, I'll put the person's name into google with their birth or death date and see if someone else has already charted them (which often they have)

now... for the 'tell us about your famous ancestors' portion... not a lot. A family tradition says that I'm related to the Stuart line from Scotland (Robert The Bruce) thru my grandmother (Ogletree), but that seems highly untrue. An ancestor (West Harris) was in the boat with Washington when he crossed the Delaware.

I mention him - West Harris - specifically because I suspect that a great number of folk who have done some history are also related to him or his father. You have to remember - you have 2 parents. So 4 grandparents. 8 ggrandparents. 16 gggrandparents. 32 4xgreatgrandparents. So by the time you get back to the early 1700's, you're about 6 or so generations back; West Harris is one of 128 6x great grandparents directly related to me (sounds less impressive that way).

happy hunting and any questions/tips/free searches on pay sites, I'm all ears!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #2
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Family History

I lucked out and had a grandmother who did all that for me. She did it the hard way, without internet, years ago when she was retired. It's two giant folders going back to family in Prussia in the 15/1600's. Not anyone famous or of historical importance in my family. Most came from Germany in the mid 1800s.

My dads side of the family is similar. About the only note of importance was that apparently they settled one of the rich areas in San Antonio but lost it all in the depression. That's how it was always told to me anyways.
    Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

My cousin's husband actually did a significant amount of research on our side of the family for her this past year. We learned that we've had ancestors living in Norwalk, CT (where all of our relatives from that side of the family hail from) since 1620, which I thought was pretty cool. People in my family line have been living in the same town for almost 400 years, I think that's pretty cool.

Not a secret in our family, but my generation of cousins learned maybe 6-7 years ago from our parents' generation that my paternal grandfather had an interesting story. His father was in World War 1 with a buddy of his, whose last name is Kilidites (Greek, obvously). Now, from our understanding, my great-grandfather was injured in the war and was sent back to Norwalk CT with his buddy Kilidites. The details are a little sketchy, but I guess that these guys were close enough that my great-grandfather told his buddy to take care of his wife for him. While my great-grandfather was dying in the hospital from his injuries, Kilidites and my great-grandmother had a child, Jim, my grandfather. Apparently my great-grandfather was alright with this, since he realized his time was short. His only request was that his son, Jim, my grandfather, retain his last name, which is my current last name. Pretty crazy to think that my last name was almost as Greek as Kilidites, which is what my grandfather's name would have legally been if not for my great-grandfather's request. So technically, I'm 1/8 Greek from that chain of events having happened.
    Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I have a family member of some relation who's a high ranking military member. He did all our family research for fun. Traced our lineage all the way back to Lubawa Poland in the 900s. With gaps of course.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Been wanting to do this for a while. A lot on my Dad's side has been documented (at least as far back as the mid 1800's), but I know very little about my Mom's side of the family. I'll have to check this out.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
    Jake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    I lucked out and had a grandmother who did all that for me. She did it the hard way, without internet, years ago when she was retired. It's two giant folders going back to family in Prussia in the 15/1600's. Not anyone famous or of historical importance in my family. Most came from Germany in the mid 1800s.

My dads side of the family is similar. About the only note of importance was that apparently they settled one of the rich areas in San Antonio but lost it all in the depression. That's how it was always told to me anyways.
    my grandmother (mom's mom) maiden name is "Ogletree". There are 2 books on the genealogical history of the family. Modern research proved both to be inaccurate. They both claimed a link to the Stuart dynasty.

In short, if you have the chance/opportunity, you might want to check some facts. Using me as an example again, I've yet to find the Cherokee Indian allegedly in my grandfather's (mom's dad) family. Which sucks b/c I've been using Indian slurs for years and using the "I'm one so I can say it' rule.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    My cousin's husband actually did a significant amount of research on our side of the family for her this past year. We learned that we've had ancestors living in Norwalk, CT (where all of our relatives from that side of the family hail from) since 1620, which I thought was pretty cool. People in my family line have been living in the same town for almost 400 years, I think that's pretty cool.

Not a secret in our family, but my generation of cousins learned maybe 6-7 years ago from our parents' generation that my paternal grandfather had an interesting story. His father was in World War 1 with a buddy of his, whose last name is Kilidites (Greek, obvously). Now, from our understanding, my great-grandfather was injured in the war and was sent back to Norwalk CT with his buddy Kilidites. The details are a little sketchy, but I guess that these guys were close enough that my great-grandfather told his buddy to take care of his wife for him. While my great-grandfather was dying in the hospital from his injuries, Kilidites and my great-grandmother had a child, Jim, my grandfather. Apparently my great-grandfather was alright with this, since he realized his time was short. His only request was that his son, Jim, my grandfather, retain his last name, which is my current last name. Pretty crazy to think that my last name was almost as Greek as Kilidites, which is what my grandfather's name would have legally been if not for my great-grandfather's request. So technically, I'm 1/8 Greek from that chain of events having happened.
    I was born in Norwalk, as I've mentioned before, but have no family from there. I didn't realize the city was that old.

to the 2nd part... that's crazy. And fascinating.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Been wanting to do this for a while. A lot on my Dad's side has been documented (at least as far back as the mid 1800's), but I know very little about my Mom's side of the family. I'll have to check this out.

In the link familysearch.org (in 1st post), you can search the census as late as 1940. So if you have names/birthdates from at least then, you can find people. I found my great-grandmother (mom's side) via the 1940 census....

but buyer beware, I also learned that my grandparents (mom's) were 3rd cousins thrice removed.
    Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
    Giant Jew

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I know my Great-great-grandparents on my dad's side left some shtetl (poor town full of Jews) in Eastern Europe to settle in Rochester, NY in the 1880's. It's tough to find anything earlier than that and its highly likely relatives who stayed behind were killed during the holocaust. My great-grandfather was an importer of booze from Canada during prohibition.

My mom was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland and her family is from there and London. One of my relatives from that side of the family worked on the Titanic and another was a pilot for the RAF during WW2. At some point I'd like to go back and do a more detailed history on all of this.
    Giant Jew is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
    Ashley J
    Bump n Grind

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I'm looking to kill some time at work today, so... thanks!
    Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
    jnovo22

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ashley J View Post
    I'm looking to kill some time at work today, so... thanks!

This.

All I really know is I'm related to Mark Lemke (3rd Cousin). And my last name means "New City" in russian.

My wife and I are going to do the home DNA kits this summer, to track our heritages.
    jnovo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    now... for the 'tell us about your famous ancestors' portion... not a lot. A family tradition says that I'm related to the Stuart line from Scotland (Robert The Bruce) thru my grandmother (Ogletree), but that seems highly untrue. An ancestor (West Harris) was in the boat with Washington when he crossed the Delaware.
    Huh. So I guess Kim/Kanye weren't such a trendsetter after all; people had been naming their kids after compass directions for hundreds of years!

My Aunt's got most of my mom's side mapped out I believe, but my dad's is going to be difficult to do. Grandparents are off the boat Hungarian during their revolution in '56, so all the records are in Hungarian, of which I know 0.
    Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

We have a family book that was written in the late 90's. Very interesting stuff. It's on my dad's side so it's my entire history of my last name as far as it can go back.

We came over in the 1600's from England to Virginia and migrated from Va to NC to FL and finally into GA. Had an ancestor who was married to Sir Fancis Drake's cousin and that's about as close to anyone famous we got on my dad's dad side. My dad's mom however is distantly related to John Hancock.

Had some relatives fight in the Civil War and the American Revolutionary War too I think. One of them was captured by Yankees in Mississippi and after the war he was released and had to walk from the Delta all the way back to north Florida
    Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was born in Norwalk, as I've mentioned before, but have no family from there. I didn't realize the city was that old.
    a lot of fairfield county is very old, I remember having to do a ton of school projects about it growing up

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Norwalk is an awesome place. It's got its rough parts, but I love being from there and love living at home over the summers. I'd like to return to the area after law school to practice. Have you been back since you were born?

Quote:
    to the 2nd part... that's crazy. And fascinating.
    Yeah, we were all pretty surprised to hear it. I was under the impression until then that our last name had some part in our ancestry. Since it's a German last name, we always figured we were part German, but that German has since been replaced by Greek.

I suppose it was more acceptable during the two World Wars to do the sort of thing my great-grandfather did, handing your wife over to a trusted friend to ensure her well-being and prosperity. Unfortunately, my great-grandmother died when my grandfather was 11 years old, so he had a very difficult upbringing. Still, he was one of the strongest, most steadfast men I've ever met, despite such a tragic childhood.
    Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
    Jake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    We have a family book that was written in the late 90's. Very interesting stuff. It's on my dad's side so it's my entire history of my last name as far as it can go back.

We came over in the 1600's from England to Virginia and migrated from Va to NC to FL and finally into GA. Had an ancestor who was married to Sir Fancis Drake's cousin and that's about as close to anyone famous we got on my dad's dad side. My dad's mom however is distantly related to John Hancock.

Had some relatives fight in the Civil War and the American Revolutionary War too I think. One of them was captured by Yankees in Mississippi and after the war he was released and had to walk from the Delta all the way back to north Florida

Will David Ogletree -

Company K, 14th Regiment, Alabama Volunteers. At one point also in Company H according to
    pension book.

Wounded in the line of Duty, June 1864, losing 3 inches of bone above his elbow.
    http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-s...6-b8ac6f5d926a

James E Nix -

28th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Company F -

In Richmond, Virginia, hospital December 31, 1862. Died of disease
    at home in Cherokee County, Georgia, May 13, 1863.

Levi Horn

Horn , Levi

Battle Unit Name:
    2nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry
    Side:
    Confederacy
    Company:
    I
    Soldier's Rank In:
    Private
    Soldier's Rank Out:
    Private
    Alternate name:
    Film Number:
    M226 ROLL 30
    Plaque Number:
    Notes:
    none

Citing this Record:
    "Georgia, County Marriages, 1785-1950," index and images, <i>FamilySearch</i> (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KXVS-3R9 : accessed 19 Jun 2014), Levi Horne and Elizabeth Blackmon, 29 Jul 1849; citing Harris, Georgia, United States; FHL microfilm 327523.

W W Sheppard

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSQ1-4T5

Name: William W. Sheppard
    Name Note: null
    Also Known As Name: null
    Also Known As Note: null
    Event Type: Military Service
    Military Beginning Rank: Private
    Military Beginning Rank Note: null
    Military Final Rank: Quartermaster Sergeant
    Military Final Rank Note: null
    Military Side: Confederate
    Military Side Note: null
    State or Military Term: Alabama
    Military Unit: Lewis' Battalion, Alabama Cavalry
    Military Unit Note: null
    Military Company: D
    Military Company Note: null
    Note: null
    Affiliate Publication Title: Index to Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations From the State of Alabama.
    Affiliate Publication Number: M374
    Affiliate Film Number: 40
    GS Film number: 821988
    Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post

My paternal grandmother's side pretty much did the same thing. Traced back to 1600's from England to Massachusetts though.

My grandmother said I was related to someone who was on the Mayflower, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and one of the Salem Witches.

My dad did ancestry.com and ultimately got hooked into a line of Norwegian kings or something which then takes you all the way back to Cleopatra's sister or something. So I, like much of the world, come from Cleopatra's family.

The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think and the more anxiously I inquire; the less I seem to know.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #16
    Sonix Blastors
    Gas, Grass, or Ass

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

my dad traced our lineage back to the Canary Islands (ca. 1650's AD)
    Sonix Blastors is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #17
    Jake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Norwalk is an awesome place. It's got its rough parts, but I love being from there and love living at home over the summers. I'd like to return to the area after law school to practice. Have you been back since you were born?

Yeah, we were all pretty surprised to hear it. I was under the impression until then that our last name had some part in our ancestry. Since it's a German last name, we always figured we were part German, but that German has since been replaced by Greek.

I suppose it was more acceptable during the two World Wars to do the sort of thing my great-grandfather did, handing your wife over to a trusted friend to ensure her well-being and prosperity. Unfortunately, my great-grandmother died when my grandfather was 11 years old, so he had a very difficult upbringing. Still, he was one of the strongest, most steadfast men I've ever met, despite such a tragic childhood.
    last I was in Norwalk was in 05... Just drove by the old houses & what was my kindergarten (Broad River, became apartments)

My wife's grandma had a similar situation... I was able to track the grandmothers birth family a few generations back.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sonix Blastors View Post
    my dad traced our lineage back to the Canary Islands (ca. 1650's AD)
    if it was BC, that would be impressive

But if you really wanted to, you can make it back to the BC era... in reality after the 1300s or so we are all related anyway...
    Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #18
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have 4 GGGgrandfathers that fought for the south (the good guys according to my southern roots)

Will David Ogletree - shot in the arm outside Petersburg, VA

TJ Ogletree (his brother & direct relative on other side) - captured in Gettysburg July 3, 1863... Spent rest of the war in a POW camp in Delaware.

James Nix - died of disease at his home 1862 (contracted 'something' while in the service)

(I forget his name now) Stewart - don't know what he did, but survived

Stewart & the Ogletrees were all in the 14th Alabama, served under Longstreet. Nix in Georgia Volunteers.
    I think most of mine were out of Florida for the Civil War. I don't have the book right now it's back home but this thread makes me want to get it right now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    My paternal grandmother's side pretty much did the same thing. Traced back to 1600's from England to Massachusetts though.

My grandmother said I was related to someone who was on the Mayflower, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and one of the Salem Witches.

My dad did ancestry.com and ultimately got hooked into a line of Norwegian kings or something which then takes you all the way back to Cleopatra's sister or something. So I, like much of the world, come from Cleopatra's family.
    Yeah I have an uncle on my mom's side who does the ancestory.com thing and he has traced that side back pretty far I believe. We don't have a book for that side but hopefully soon he will do something with all that information. My mom's side is from Alabama and her mother was from Florida (Zephryhills area I believe).

Researching ancestory is really fun and very interesting imo. I wish I had time to do it.
    Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #19
    Joruus
    The Binge

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

We have traced my father's side of the family back 17 generations to the 1550s in Paris. My family name starts there with a priest or monk that came over to Quebec.

My aunt on my mother's side is doing the same for her side, but way more extensive. Its kind of crazy how much work she's put into it.
    Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
    thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    aka within two miles of a norwalk-mcmahon game

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
    thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #21
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Don't know too much about my family history, but I know I'm related to this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Anastasia
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
    haybale97
    king of men

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Hypertension
    Hypercholesterolemia
    Heart attack
    Colon cancer
    Skin cancer

Am I doing this right?

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #23
    K270
    Hello my baby!!!!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Huh. So I guess Kim/Kanye weren't such a trendsetter after all; people had been naming their kids after compass directions for hundreds of years!

My Aunt's got most of my mom's side mapped out I believe, but my dad's is going to be difficult to do. Grandparents are off the boat Hungarian during their revolution in '56, so all the records are in Hungarian, of which I know 0.

I'm glad my parents didn't name me North or South or even East. Yes, my last name is West. No, I'm in no way related to Kanye (thank god).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    Dodgers suck.
    K270 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #24
    jordanbball17
    Black lives matter

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haybale97 View Post
    Hypertension
    Hypercholesterolemia
    Heart attack
    Colon cancer
    Skin cancer

Am I doing this right?
    I'm in nursing school right now and this is exactly what I was prepared to type
    Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #25
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    my grandmother (mom's mom) maiden name is "Ogletree". There are 2 books on the genealogical history of the family. Modern research proved both to be inaccurate. They both claimed a link to the Stuart dynasty.

In short, if you have the chance/opportunity, you might want to check some facts. Using me as an example again, I've yet to find the Cherokee Indian allegedly in my grandfather's (mom's dad) family. Which sucks b/c I've been using Indian slurs for years and using the "I'm one so I can say it' rule.
    ignorance is bliss, as they say!
    Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #26
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

My late maternal grandmother, who just passed away a few weeks ago, was huge into researching our family lineage, and discovered quite the story. A lot of it was already well known, some of it less so, but my favorite story was always this one:

My grandmother's side fought for the north, including one fellow known to family members as "Uncle Mac", because he fought in the Army of the Potomac under George McClellan at Antietam, and his story is just so cool. He was actually wounded at Antietam. Depending on who you ask in the family, he either deserted the field hospital or was discharged due to his physical condition. One way or another, he re-enlisted, this time in the Navy and under an alias (not a terribly creative one, but still), so he wouldn't get busted for the desertion episode (or because his real name was a red flag for "do not admit due to injuries"), and while in the Navy, won the Congressional Medal of Honor for his heroics in the Battle of Natural Bridge, off the coast of Florida.

It took the Department of Defense 122 years to figure out that "John S. Lann", war hero and "John S. Lanning" (his real name), Army deserter (or guy we sent home), were one and the same. I went to the memorial dedication back in 1987, way the fuck out in Yankton, South Dakota, which is where Uncle Mac and his pioneer family settled after the war, and where my great-great-grandfather was one of the first known white folks born in the new Dakota Territory.

Here's Uncle Mac's entry on the Congressional Medal of Honor Society's website (they still have him listed under the alias he used at the time he won it): http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detai...ann-john-s.php.

He also has a wikipedia page (which smells like my uncle, who was in the discharged and re-enlisted theory camp, wrote it): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_S._Lanning.

Thanks for the links to the free sites, Jake. I should spend some time looking more stuff up.

Last edited by DrewD55; 02-25-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    DrewD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #27
    Jake

My Tour Central Stats

I find stories like that ^ fascinating. I think the family history plays into my interedt in history overall.

Ironically enough, my grandfather (dads dad) served in WWI & WWII. but he was 16 in 1918 & I can't find a record of him serving... Leads me to believe he served under a false name for The Great War.
    Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #28
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

My sister has traced our lineage back to 900 AD or so. She has uncovered so much family history it makes my head spin. Needless to say, after reading about my ancestors, I'm a complete failure. We have royalty in the family, war heroes. you name it. Then there is me,

We belong to this family here, in some way or another. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Percy

And our family held this place down for a while in the middle ages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alnwick_Castle

I'm sort of obsessive/compulsive myself but I have left this up to my sister. She has the funds to afford to look, me, I just marvel at it.
    Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #29
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I find stories like that ^ fascinating. I think the family history plays into my interedt in history overall.

Ironically enough, my grandfather (dads dad) served in WWI & WWII. but he was 16 in 1918 & I can't find a record of him serving... Leads me to believe he served under a false name for The Great War.
    Yeah, truth is stranger than fiction with that story, and to top if off, as the saying went in the Civil War, it was "brother against brother", or in my family's case, future in-law against future in-law: my maternal grandfather's side fought for the South. In point of fact, they led the South: through my grandfather, I'm also a descendant of Robert E. Lee.

I wouldn't be surprised if your grandfather did serve under an alias in the First World War. Just about anyone they could get to enlist, they'd take. Lie about your age, your name, etc., as long as you were upright with a working trigger finger, you were in.
    Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #30
    jaking1185
    13 time NFL champs

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Best I can come up with is my GGGgrandfather on my father's side was Chief Oshkosh. I can trace branches of my non-native side back to the 1500's in England.

Trying to find Native history past 3 generations is sketchy at best.

Tags
    genealogy , trudy's 4xggm is a whore