The Travellers Thread - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #61
sunshower
wanderlust

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Travellers Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedom4136 View Post
I had a question for you though, I have been looking around tripadvisor.com I like the site, but is it just me or do American's ALWAYS give european hotels an awful review... I haven't seen one Americna give a hotel in Barcelona a positive review...

For example this one hotel I was looking at "Ramblas Hotel" I was noticing really mixed reviews, people were either giving it 4/5 stars or 1 then I looked at the locations. Everyone giving it 4/5 was from the UK and everyone giving it a 1 was from the US....
Americans have higher standards for hotels. I guess you could say we're spoiled. Think about it, though: if you're travelling, you only need a hotel room as a place to keep your stuff, a place to sleep and a place to bathe. You don't need 900 square feet of space, a flat panel TV, extra hangers in the closet, a bathrobe, slippers, etc. etc. Hotels in the US are honestly a little ridiculous. It's nice to pamper yourself, sure, but when it comes to a place to lay your head, all you need on the road is a good pillow. It doesn't matter if you have a lot of floor space or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
Meatball is an asshole by association.
sunshower is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #62
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    Americans have higher standards for hotels. I guess you could say we're spoiled. Think about it, though: if you're travelling, you only need a hotel room as a place to keep your stuff, a place to sleep and a place to bathe. You don't need 900 square feet of space, a flat panel TV, extra hangers in the closet, a bathrobe, slippers, etc. etc. Hotels in the US are honestly a little ridiculous. It's nice to pamper yourself, sure, but when it comes to a place to lay your head, all you need on the road is a good pillow. It doesn't matter if you have a lot of floor space or not.
    Yeah thats basically all I am looking for, a decently located, reasonibly priced, clean place to sleep... wi-fi would be a bonus but not nessicary.

#2 uploader
    cryfreedom4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #63
    rmp207

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

hey after reading all these posts i really started thinking about going to Europe. My buddy and i have always tossed around the idea, but i talked to him today and we started planning it. When is the best time to go? We also plan on staying a month and starting in paris or london and moving east whats the best locations to hit up? and one more questions if your staying in hostels how much money should you bring not including the flight over? Sorry about all the questions im just excited to start planning this.
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #64
    rmp207

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

bump just need a little help. thanks
    rmp207 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #65
    bripriest

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmp207 View Post
    hey after reading all these posts i really started thinking about going to Europe. My buddy and i have always tossed around the idea, but i talked to him today and we started planning it. When is the best time to go? We also plan on staying a month and starting in paris or london and moving east whats the best locations to hit up? and one more questions if your staying in hostels how much money should you bring not including the flight over? Sorry about all the questions im just excited to start planning this.
    If you stick to a fairly tight budget (no binge drinking sprees in clubs, no fancy restaurants, etc.) you can probably get by on $50 a day for a room and food. Figure another $25 a day of 'activities' - museums, trains, etc. A good way to save money on the hotels is to get the overnight train or bus in-between cities. (overnight bus from London to Paris is less than 1/2 of the cost of the train).

Check out http://www.hostels.com/ to get an idea of the prices.

Best time to go is hard to say...the 'hostel season' is basically mid-May to mid-September. There will be thousands of people backpacking around Europe from all over the world.

Places to go depends on what you want to see, but a good rough guide would be to hit the following cities. You'll be able to see a lot more if you fly back from a different city than where you landed.

London > Paris > Amsterdam > Berlin > Krakow > Budapest > Bratislava > Vienna > Prague > Munich > Salzburg > Venice > Florence > Rome

Athens and Istanbul are worth going to, but a bit further away so you might not have enough time. Same with Barcelona and southern Spain.

But don't plan out too much. Have a rough idea of where you want to go, but don't lock into an agenda that you can't deviate from...you never know when you may meet some random people and decide to go to a different city with them...that's happened to me a couple of times and it was well worth it.
    bripriest is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #66
    il bacio dolce
    yo no se manana

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's my biggest deterrent to travelling anywhere this summer. I wanted to go away in June, best time to go to the beach, but I can't stomach the hotel rates at all. So I pick a week in September, hoping that at least half that week is tropical storm free, because the hotel rates are sooooo much better.
    Old 02-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #67
    il bacio dolce
    yo no se manana

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I have difficulty planning trips, because if I'm going to take time off work and go away somewhere with the intention of relaxing and enjoying my time, then I need to make the trip as cheap as possible, because spending money does NOT relax me! I have to choose between dropping a couple hundred on a plane ticket or worrying whether my car will get me that far, neither route is fun to imagine right now. You know I really ought to figure out, gas-wise, whether driving will be cheaper than flying!
    Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #68
    Scuba Jeremy
    Jet Setter

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

About a year and a half ago, I started working at Abercrombie & Kent, a luxury touring company based out of London and who's American base is five minutes from my house in Oak Brook, IL. The first year there, I've mostly done paperwork and continued learning about the trade. They have paid for my IATA card, and with it, I have already saved half off trip to Key West last fall.

Next month, I'm moving into the Private Jet department. We lease a Boeing 757 from Icelandair and convert it into a long distance luxury touring jet with seats for 50 and a lounge in the back. I'll be helping to plan, upgrade and execute the jet trips, which go around the world several times a year. Seats on the jet go for as much as $100,000 per person. The staff rides for free. Sure, it's work, but I can think of worse things to do for a living.

In June, my friends and I are planning to fly into Paris, take the rail to Germany, and travel through the Netherlands and Belgium back to Paris and fly home. The IATA (Travel Agent's) discount is going to cover about 75% of the cost.

Next fall, our touring season begins again with the jet, and I'm looking forward to traveling around east and central Asia, the Middle East and Europe.

Life is good.
    They're - Contraction for "they are"
    Scuba Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #69
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

In September, a friend and I are driving from our home (Lake George, NY) to school (Eugene, OR). We're trying to plan the drive out, and if anyone has any suggestions, we're definitely up for it. We're definitely not trying to get out as fast as possible, but we're not exactly cruising slowly. Somewhere between 10 and 12 days would be best. We want to avoid staying in tiny, unknown, middle of nowhere towns if we can. Driving in a day shouldn't get above 8 hours, if possible.

So this is what we have so far. Feel free to post suggestions, if you have one.

Lake George> Cleveland
    Cleveland> Chicago
    Chicago> Des Moines
    Des Moines> Lincoln, NE
    Lincoln, NE> Kearney, NE
    Kearney> Denver
    Denver> Salt Lake City
    Salt Lake City> Reno
    Reno> San Fransisco
    San Fransisco> Yahats, OR
    Yahats> Eugene
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #70
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Oh wait, I forgot I had updated it.

Lake George, NY

Estimated Time: 8 hours, 11 minutes Distance: 499.57 miles

Cleveland, OH

Estimated Time: 5 hours, 28 minutes Distance: 345.18 miles

Chicago, IL

Estimated Time: 5 hours, 16 minutes Distance: 332.80 miles

Des Moines, IA

Estimated Time: 3 hours, 51 minutes Distance: 255.96 miles

Topeka, KS

Estimated Time: 7 hours, 50 minutes Distance: 540.07 miles

Denver, CO

Estimated Time: 7 hours, 30 minutes Distance: 533.62 miles

Salt Lake City, UT

Estimated Time: 7 hours, 7 minutes Distance: 519.09 miles

Reno, NV

Estimated Time: 3 hours, 33 minutes Distance: 218.38 miles

San Francisco, CA

Estimated Time: 6 hours, 50 minutes Distance: 381.75 miles

Brookings, OR

Estimated Time: 4 hours, 5 minutes Distance: 237.37 miles

Eugene, OR

Total Estimated Time: 59 hours, 41 minutes Distance: 3863.80 miles
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #71
    handsareme

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    Oh wait, I forgot I had updated it.

Lake George, NY

Estimated Time: 8 hours, 11 minutes Distance: 499.57 miles

Cleveland, OH

Estimated Time: 5 hours, 28 minutes Distance: 345.18 miles

Chicago, IL

Estimated Time: 5 hours, 16 minutes Distance: 332.80 miles

Des Moines, IA

Estimated Time: 3 hours, 51 minutes Distance: 255.96 miles

Topeka, KS

Estimated Time: 7 hours, 50 minutes Distance: 540.07 miles

Denver, CO

Estimated Time: 7 hours, 30 minutes Distance: 533.62 miles

Salt Lake City, UT

Estimated Time: 7 hours, 7 minutes Distance: 519.09 miles

Reno, NV

Estimated Time: 3 hours, 33 minutes Distance: 218.38 miles

San Francisco, CA

Estimated Time: 6 hours, 50 minutes Distance: 381.75 miles

Brookings, OR

Estimated Time: 4 hours, 5 minutes Distance: 237.37 miles

Eugene, OR

Total Estimated Time: 59 hours, 41 minutes Distance: 3863.80 miles
    go to lawrence.
    Old 02-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #72
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

My Tour Central Stats

Anybody have any tips on going to Monteserrat when you are staying in Barcelona?

#2 uploader
    cryfreedom4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #73
    Milenk
    Condor Calamity

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

My List:

United States
    Canada
    Mexico
    United Kingdom
    Ireland
    Denmark
    Poland
    Slovakia
    Hungary
    Slovenia
    Croatia
    Italy
    Austria
    Germany
    Belgium
    France
    Spain
    Andorra
    Morocco
    Thailand
    Laos
    Myanmar
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Fiji
    Milenk is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #74
    bripriest

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cryfreedom4136 View Post
    Anybody have any tips on going to Monteserrat when you are staying in Barcelona?
    http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...ontserrat.html
    bripriest is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #75
    OUFireDancer
    boomer sooner

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm in the process of booking my flight to Singapore and I'm trying to decide which is better: a 15 hour layover to explore Paris or an 11 hour layover to explore London.

Suggestions?
    London uses the British Pound, Paris uses the euro. It would be cheaper to explore Paris, plus, I found Paris to be more likeable than London.
    Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #76
    Trippin4136

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmudmbphan View Post
    good thread..

thinking about going up to vancouver this summer..any advice?
    I went in mid-to-late August and the weather was simply perfect.

I would stay centrally located in the city. I have a friend who lives there, so we had a car our disposal - but you may want to rent a car if you plan on being there 7-10 days.

Places to go?

-Victoria [take BC ferries - simply amazing 2 1/2 hour ride through the Strait of Georgia]. We spent a night in Victoria
    - Take the 3 hour drive and spent a night in Whistler - we spent a night up there too
    - Stanley Park
    - Capilano Bridge
    - Plenty of parks to satisfy
    - Good nightlife

and a lot more

Again, I stayed at my friend's apt and was there for 9 nights, but I could imagine it being a pretty pricey trip as the Vancouver area is NOT cheap, but it's a trip SO worth taking.
    Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #77
    SmoothG

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scuba Jeremy View Post
    About a year and a half ago, I started working at Abercrombie & Kent, a luxury touring company based out of London and who's American base is five minutes from my house in Oak Brook, IL. The first year there, I've mostly done paperwork and continued learning about the trade. They have paid for my IATA card, and with it, I have already saved half off trip to Key West last fall.

Next month, I'm moving into the Private Jet department. We lease a Boeing 757 from Icelandair and convert it into a long distance luxury touring jet with seats for 50 and a lounge in the back. I'll be helping to plan, upgrade and execute the jet trips, which go around the world several times a year. Seats on the jet go for as much as $100,000 per person. The staff rides for free. Sure, it's work, but I can think of worse things to do for a living.

In June, my friends and I are planning to fly into Paris, take the rail to Germany, and travel through the Netherlands and Belgium back to Paris and fly home. The IATA (Travel Agent's) discount is going to cover about 75% of the cost.

Next fall, our touring season begins again with the jet, and I'm looking forward to traveling around east and central Asia, the Middle East and Europe.

Life is good.
    Abercrombie & Kent is the shit! You are one lucky son of a bitch! I would kill to work for them. Sounds like you have a great gig. Do you get to go to Africa any time soon?

Also, for those who are students or teachers you must go to a STA Travel in pretty much any city and get a card for about $20. My trip from LA to Santiago was going to be at least $1000 one way. I paid $750 round trip. You also get great savings on other things.

I just spent two weeks camping in the south of Chile. Gorgeous. Lakes, rivers, huge volcanoes. At night you can see the red lava spewing out.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #78
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milenk View Post
    My List:

United States
    Canada
    Mexico
    United Kingdom
    Ireland
    Denmark
    Poland
    Slovakia
    Hungary
    Slovenia
    Croatia
    Italy
    Austria
    Germany
    Belgium
    France
    Spain
    Andorra
    Morocco
    Thailand
    Laos
    Myanmar
    Australia
    New Zealand
    Fiji
    Some great places. Any favorites? Least favorites?
    Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #79
    BehindBlueyes16

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    Abercrombie & Kent is the shit! You are one lucky son of a bitch! I would kill to work for them. Sounds like you have a great gig. Do you get to go to Africa any time soon?

Also, for those who are students or teachers you must go to a STA Travel in pretty much any city and get a card for about $20. My trip from LA to Santiago was going to be at least $1000 one way. I paid $750 round trip. You also get great savings on other things.

I just spent two weeks camping in the south of Chile. Gorgeous. Lakes, rivers, huge volcanoes. At night you can see the red lava spewing out.
    Hey, what's the best way to get around South America? I'm doing a 5 week study abroad program down in Buenos Aires this summer, but want to take a long weekend to go see a friend over in Chile. I need to get there as cheaply as possible... she's going to be living in Concepcion, if that means anything to you. I figured I might have to at least fly over from Buenos Aires and start in Santiago or something, but I just know very little about getting around SA, as I've never been there...
    Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #80
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BehindBlueyes16 View Post
    Hey, what's the best way to get around South America? I'm doing a 5 week study abroad program down in Buenos Aires this summer, but want to take a long weekend to go see a friend over in Chile. I need to get there as cheaply as possible... she's going to be living in Concepcion, if that means anything to you. I figured I might have to at least fly over from Buenos Aires and start in Santiago or something, but I just know very little about getting around SA, as I've never been there...
    Very cool. You're going to better to take a flight from Buenos Aires to Santiago. A bus would be a long long time and flights aren't too expensive here. From Santiago you are about 3 or 4 hours on a bus to Concepcion. Not many trains here. So bus and trains are the best ways to travel. It's all pretty easy. Even easier if you speak a little spanish. Argentina is next up on my list. I've heard nothing but great things. Beautiful women. Get ready to dance!

They have this dance here in Chile, not sure if it is in Argentina. It's called El Koala. You know how a koala wraps its arms and legs around a tree? Well imagine you are the tree. The girl jumps on you, wraps her legs around your waist and arms around your neck and bounces around. It. is. amazing. Their hips just move different.

You'll love it. Let me know if I can help in way...
    Old 02-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #81
    sunshower
    wanderlust

My Tour Central Stats

I leave in 8 days for Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. I could not be more excited. I even managed to score tickets for the Singapore Flyer, which opened this week. Yesssssss.

From Wikipedia: The Singapore Flyer is a giant observation wheel in Singapore. Reaching 42 stories high, it comprises a 150-metre (in diameter) high wheel built over a three-story terminal building, giving it a total height of 165 metres. This exceeds The Star of Nanchang by 5 metres and the London Eye by 30 metres. It will feature 28 air-conditioned capsules capable of holding 28 passengers each. Located on the southeast tip of the Marina Centre reclaimed land, it offers excellent views of the city centre and beyond to about 45 kilometres, including the Indonesian islands of Batam and Bintan, as well as Johor, Malaysia.

Woohoo!

http://www.singaporeflyer.com.sg/

Quote:
    Old 02-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #82
    DirtyDeeds449
    crooked as danger

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I've been all over the US. In'tl Travel for me includes:

Canada
    Great Britain
    The Netherlands
    Australia
    Tanzania
    Kenya
    Italy (next month)
    DirtyDeeds449 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #83
    BehindBlueyes16

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Very cool. You're going to better to take a flight from Buenos Aires to Santiago. A bus would be a long long time and flights aren't too expensive here. From Santiago you are about 3 or 4 hours on a bus to Concepcion. Not many trains here. So bus and trains are the best ways to travel. It's all pretty easy. Even easier if you speak a little spanish. Argentina is next up on my list. I've heard nothing but great things. Beautiful women. Get ready to dance!

They have this dance here in Chile, not sure if it is in Argentina. It's called El Koala. You know how a koala wraps its arms and legs around a tree? Well imagine you are the tree. The girl jumps on you, wraps her legs around your waist and arms around your neck and bounces around. It. is. amazing. Their hips just move different.

You'll love it. Let me know if I can help in way...
    Awesome, I had figured the buses would be the way to go, but never hurts to ask. I speak plenty of spanish so I'm sure I'll be fine. I also LOVE to dance, so I'm pretty pumped for that. Give me a few drinks and a hot latino dude and he might be able to convince me to try the koala out, haha. I studied abroad in Spain as an undergrad, but its still the only spanish-speaking country I've ever been to, so I'm really excited about checking out another one. Anything in Chile that I should try to do/see in particular?
    Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #84
    sunshower
    wanderlust

My Tour Central Stats

I leave for Asia today.

Excitement!

I have all day tomorrow in London (7 AM to 9 PM) and then it's off to Singapore. Whoop!

Quote:
    Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #85
    Hudak-Budak
    Asshole.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    In September, a friend and I are driving from our home (Lake George, NY) to school (Eugene, OR). We're trying to plan the drive out, and if anyone has any suggestions, we're definitely up for it. We're definitely not trying to get out as fast as possible, but we're not exactly cruising slowly. Somewhere between 10 and 12 days would be best. We want to avoid staying in tiny, unknown, middle of nowhere towns if we can. Driving in a day shouldn't get above 8 hours, if possible.

So this is what we have so far. Feel free to post suggestions, if you have one.

Lake George> Cleveland
    Cleveland> Chicago
    Chicago> Des Moines
    Des Moines> Lincoln, NE
    Lincoln, NE> Kearney, NE
    Kearney> Denver
    Denver> Salt Lake City
    Salt Lake City> Reno
    Reno> San Fransisco
    San Fransisco> Yahats, OR
    Yahats> Eugene
    If you need to know anything about Cleveland or what there is to do or what you should see, PM me.

Censorship is a cancer.
    Hudak-Budak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #86
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I leave for Asia today.

Excitement!

I have all day tomorrow in London (7 AM to 9 PM) and then it's off to Singapore. Whoop!
    Get a Singapore Sling at The Raffles Hotel. Shop. Eat. Big rainforest in the middle of the island. Boat Quay. Lots of awesome bars. Have fun on that big circle thing.

I think I should have put "Official" in the title and added **** ....
    Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #87
    sunshower
    wanderlust

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Get a Singapore Sling at The Raffles Hotel. Shop. Eat. Big rainforest in the middle of the island. Boat Quay. Lots of awesome bars. Have fun on that big circle thing.

I think I should have put "Official" in the title and added **** ....
    I will definitely go to the Long Bar at the Raffles for a Sling. They were invented there! I'm taking the sleeper train to Malaysia and a boat to Batam, Indonesia as well as Sumatra. The Flyer should be fun. I'm excited to see the Merlion (it's a standing joke with my friends). The rainforest will be a must along with the night safari at the zoo and the botanical gardens orchids display.

Quote:
    Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #88
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I will definitely go to the Long Bar at the Raffles for a Sling. They were invented there! I'm taking the sleeper train to Malaysia and a boat to Batam, Indonesia as well as Sumatra. The Flyer should be fun. I'm excited to see the Merlion (it's a standing joke with my friends). The rainforest will be a must along with the night safari at the zoo and the botanical gardens orchids display.
    I enjoyed the night safari, but thought the zoo was much much better during the day. The botanical gardens are nice too. Take the MRT (the train)to get around. Its easy, fun, cheap and thats what most local people use. Malaysia and Indonesia are amazing. I'm jealous. Have fun!
    Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #89
    FireDancer67
    ...some don't

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I leave for Asia today.

Excitement!

You will enjoy London, get in as much as you can. I spent a week there and a week in Paris for my honeymoon.
    mcnastee23 i am a big fan of the back door! good idea
    FireDancer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #90
    Jimi's Thing
    Roi's the man!

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I fly out to Grand Cayman tomorrow morning. I'm so pumped!!!!

LET'S GO FIGHTIN PHILS!!!!
    Jimi's Thing is offline   Reply With Quote