General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year - Page 13 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #361
TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Anyone else think these setlists are weak

No, I hate DMB the most!
TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #362
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post
    No, I hate DMB the most!

btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #363
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

didnt backread in here fully but I see the vibe.

I am normally very critical of sets, but saturday was completely fine. Truly. People complaining wouldnt be doing anywhere near the same if they were there for that show.

All the songs they brought back sounded fresh and as long as they are trying to play different stuff at this point in their career we should be able to accept that as a collective IMO.

WTWE is normally a -1 for me but it was a +1 saturday, same with Smooth Rider. The new arrangements sound fresh and the band is playing tight. Seriously, go listen to that WTWE.

I will say thats by far the most electric ive ever seen dave play in one show, but that doesnt really bother me after seeing this band as many times as I have.

They are doing a really really good job avoiding bad runs in shows and while the classics they are playing arent really changing, at least theyre classic good songs. My only true complaint about Saturday was Jimi still being too long. Take out some of the solos, hell even keep SMF, but that song needs a good 5 mins lopped off of it, and Im one who normally is fine with Jimi being played as long as its not a power slot.

Ill also add I dont understand why Stay is considered a bad closer or encore closer. It fits right in those slots IMO, what hurt saturday's encore was Y&M before it.

Friday was a better show, but I still really enjoyed the first half of Saturday at minimum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

Last edited by TheLastPig; 06-04-2018 at 07:01 AM.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #364
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrread003 View Post
    It boggles my mind that things like this are said here. But I guess it boggles yours and many others why they continue to play worse and worse sets...

It doesn’t boggle my mind at all. The catalog becomes more watered down by the year and they lost a key member and took on a brand new member. Which makes it difficult to play a lot of songs for a couple reasons. The more music that comes out the worse shows get. Then you factor in batson being back in the picture which results in their worst album getting even more attention.....woof.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #365
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I'm going to The Gorge for the first time this year, usually just go to SPAC N2
    I used to do 10+ shows now I am doing 3 and 2 of those are because of the people i am going with
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #366
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by garagebrothers View Post
    Can someone explain to me what the excitement is about meeting him? I honestly don't understand it. He was standing 5 feet from me at the Gorge and I had zero interest in talking to him.
    Mostly that people crave any contact with anyone associated with the band
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #367
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    Dammit, and here I had the opportunity once to talk to the guy that used to hem Dave's pants and I passed it up.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #368
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    People complaining wouldnt be doing anywhere near the same if they were there for that show.

Nope. I’ve left dmb shows before thinking the set was shitty. Many times. Not sure how it would be any different for that setlist Saturday. Would easily be a bottom 5 show I’ve seen in person.
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #369
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garagebrothers View Post
    Dammit, and here I had the opportunity once to talk to the guy that used to hem Dave's pants and I passed it up.
    Some people thats the case but for most they know if you BS with him he will end up bringing you a setlist or pick etc.

Quote:
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #370
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Nope. I’ve left dmb shows before thinking the set was shitty. Many times. Not sure how it would be any different for that setlist Saturday. Would easily be a bottom 5 show I’ve seen in person.
    Cool, so have most of us here, myself included. You werent there nor have you seen then this year so you cant say that definitively.

The band is having lots of fun and the playing is tight, new arrangements and Tim has very very very noticeably taken a big step back and been turned down. Rashawn and Jeff dominated the stage saturday.

Noone should be going into shows this summer with any expectations. Do that and youll enjoy yourself.

Quote:
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 AM   #371
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Cool, so have most of us here, myself included. You werent there nor have you seen then this year so you cant say that definitively.

The band is having lots of fun and the playing is tight, new arrangements and Tim has very very very noticeably taken a big step back and been turned down. Rashawn and Jeff dominated the stage saturday.

Noone should be going into shows this summer with any expectations. Do that and youll enjoy yourself.

LoVe this outlook. It’s a shit set on paper. Me thinking this doesn’t need to offend you because you were there. I’ve seen enough shows to know what a shit set on paper translates to live. I’m glad the band is happy playing their music though. They should be.
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #372
    KconleyK

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Saturday's set list was one of the worst I've ever seen, if you defend that set list you need to look in the mirror and try and find reality; bands are welcome to play whatever songs they want and not cater to fans and I am all about that, it's their music and they are up there playing what they want, however in the same realm fans are allowed to hate set lists and criticize the band.

You can be a hardcore fan and hate a set list. If I get saturday's set list this week at Jiffy Lube I will be severely upset.
    KconleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #373
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KconleyK View Post
    Saturday's set list was one of the worst I've ever seen, if you defend that set list you need to look in the mirror and try and find reality; bands are welcome to play whatever songs they want and not cater to fans and I am all about that, it's their music and they are up there playing what they want, however in the same realm fans are allowed to hate set lists and criticize the band.

You can be a hardcore fan and hate a set list. If I get saturday's set list this week at Jiffy Lube I will be severely upset.

we are going to VA beach for a week and catching dmb there. I’m totally expecting a shit fest like Saturday at a one off show. It is what it is. Hopefully we get crash/typical in the middle of it as well at least.
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #374
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

I was at both Star Lake and Blossom. The band was really tight both nights and the performances were outstanding.

With that said, I enjoyed Star Lake much better. Blossom never really got going. Or, I should say that the SM through Jimi run was such a lull in the middle that the She through Stay never really got me back into the show. I just kept waiting for them to turn it up a notch and it never happened.

Don’t get me wrong, Crash, Typical, Ants, and even Bayou had me out of my seat singing along. But, it was just a “meh” kind of show.

Last edited by jrkarger; 06-04-2018 at 08:02 AM.
    jrkarger is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 AM   #375
    KconleyK

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    we are going to VA beach for a week and catching dmb there. I’m totally expecting a shit fest like Saturday at a one off show. It is what it is. Hopefully we get crash/typical in the middle of it as well at least.
    The only saving grace at Jiffy Lube and Va Beach is the home state thing, it's a one off show but maybe because it's a home state show something special. One can hope.

DMB for me is that time of summer when all my buddies I've been going to shows with for 20 years get together have beers and joke and laugh with. Some of us have kids now and mortgages, etc, so it's nice to catch up, so on my one show a year at this point in my life I take what I get, but enjoy every second because of the memories of seeing shows with those guys for 20 years.

With Jiffy Lube they don't play friday or sunday so maybe play a little longer and jam out a little more for the home town crowd.
    KconleyK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #376
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KconleyK View Post

No shit, thats not what im saying. Im trying to highlight this isnt the band that youre thinking youre seeing from the past. The lack of boyd but joyful and energized playing brings a very different vibe than any shows Ive ever seen. Im not trying to claim that set was great or defend it. And if thats the only show someone saw this year I would fully be on board with being a bit letdown.

Im trying to say, because things are so different, try to temper your expectations more than you ever have before. If you go in expecting nothing the way I did, youll come away having enjoyed the show to some degree no matter what was played, even if its a sub par set.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
    I was at both Star Lake and Blossom. The band was really tight both nights and the performances were outstanding.

With that said, I enjoyed Star Lake much better. Blossom never really got going. Or, I should say that the SM through Jimi run was such a lull in the middle that the She through Stay never really got me back into the show. I just kept waiting for them to turn it up a notch and it never happened.

Don’t get me wrong, Crash, Typical, Ants, and even Bayou had me out of my seat singing along. But, it was just a “meh” kind of show.
    Blossom just felt like a very laid back vibe after Friday was very rocking in your face, I was fine with it. Im in no way claiming saturday was anything above average, but the new arrangements were very welcome to me so I was able to enjoy both shows because stuff felt fresh.

Quote:
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #377
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If you go in expecting nothing the way I did, youll come away having enjoyed the show to some degree no matter what was played, even if its a sub par set.

I am absolutely going in expecting nothing as I’ve stated above. That doesn’t mean I’m going to leave a show like Saturday’s thinking it was good though.
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #378
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

LastPig - I usually go off of the show reviews from people who were actually there, the set list doesn't look like anything amazing but your takeaway is interesting, especially from someone who isn't a ballwasher
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #379
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It doesn’t boggle my mind at all. The catalog becomes more watered down by the year and they lost a key member and took on a brand new member. Which makes it difficult to play a lot of songs for a couple reasons. The more music that comes out the worse shows get. Then you factor in batson being back in the picture which results in their worst album getting even more attention.....woof.
    Agree completely. The more material in their catalog the more diluted the shows become...unless you think the last 3 albums are as good as the first three, which no one in their right mind does. It is what it is.

I wouldn’t care as much if the sets were more randomized amongst their whole catalog of songs (which I know is close to impossible with a new member in the band), but at this point you know going into a show that you’re going to get the same stuff from the first 5 albums, a lot of Stand Up and BW, and some new songs. And not having a violin is still a big blow.

And I don’t have to be at a show either to know a setlist is bad and that there’s a 99% chance I would have left not satisfied. At this point, having seen the band 25+ times, I’d be shocked if a bland setlist blew me away. But hey if it keeps the dudes in the sunglasses spilling beers on people and screaming Satellite all night happy...
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #380
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I was at the first 3 shows of the year, and I can confirm that Dave seems happy that Boyd isn't on stage. I wish someone close to him could explain to him that he can still be happy that Boyd isn't on stage with him, while still employing another person to play the fiddle. I did enjoy the Woodlands and Dallas quite a bit, but doing the same setlists with a violinist would have been even better shows.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #381
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LastPig - I usually go off of the show reviews from people who were actually there, the set list doesn't look like anything amazing but your takeaway is interesting, especially from someone who isn't a ballwasher
    Im sure my enjoyment was up a touch more because I was in the pit both nights this weekend, but ive had many pit experiences in the past as well so this wasnt new.

Im not sure if ive ever seen this band smiling on stage as much as they were this weekend. I cant tell you how many times in the middle of songs Friday Dave would just look over at Buddy like "how fucking cool is this?" and buddy would just laugh and smile, he was cheesing all night long.

Saturday I was glad I was in front of Jeff & Rashawn because they were just going nuts. I think I enjoyed that show more because they were fucking nailing the classic songs. Crush was really, really good and had a sweet back and forth battle between the two of them. Jeff kept pushing rashawn and they were cracking up by the end of it.

I know this may come off like a "well you were in the pit so you saw all that" but thats not it. Other friends farther back said the same thing. Theres just this different vibe, its good, but just very hard to put into words.

Quote:
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #382
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

"You weren't there so you can't speak to this set" is one of the dumbest, most tired arguments on these boards.
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #383
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    "You weren't there so you can't speak to this set" is one of the dumbest, most tired arguments on these boards.
    yeah thats not really the argument im making at all.

Quote:
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #384
    Musicology200

My Tour Central Stats

These sets are weak. Double your song rotation with at least 50% of the tracks coming from the Big 3 and 3-5 rarities (SUAD, JTR, Help Myself, etc) and the problem goes away.

Little Thing: 1:1 7/6/12
    Musicology200 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #385
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

There isn't one DMB show ever played that each of us couldn't make improvements to, the show we are discussing was far from perfect, I just usually tend to listen to people who were there before listening to people who weren't regardless of how good or bad it is perceived to be.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #386
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah thats not really the argument im making at all.
    Wasn't speak to or about you.
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #387
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

“Go in expecting a crap setlist so it seems less crappy when you are at the show”

Is right up there with it.
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #388
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There isn't one DMB show ever played that each of us couldn't make improvements to, the show we are discussing was far from perfect, I just usually tend to listen to people who were there before listening to people who weren't regardless of how good or bad it is perceived to be.
    Eh, a lot of times people that were there are skewed as well because of "the energiez" or it's their hometown venue so they're biased or whatever.

I think a balance of both is the best way. You can listen to tapes, look at sets, etc. Most of us have been around long enough to understand what was a good and what was a bad show for this band.
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #389
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

The band can be enjoying themselves on stage and playing songs well, that's what they should be doing. But that doesn't stop the fact they're playing a lot of mediocre to crappy songs.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #390
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Musicology200 View Post
    These sets are weak. Double your song rotation with at least 50% of the tracks coming from the Big 3 and 3-5 rarities (SUAD, JTR, Help Myself, etc) and the problem goes away.
    This really is the issue right now but I think especially after seeing two shows that buddy is still REALLY trying to be eased in. I didnt think he was used a ton on Friday at all, or was at least turned down.

Also ill add I think theyre trying to put new arrangements on most songs and that is keeping the variety of songs played down.

Im hoping (and expecting) by Gorge things will be very different.

Quote: