R.I.P. Leroi Moore. - Page 124 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #3691
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: R.I.P. Leroi Moore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirtyfouroi View Post
I feel Roi was the most responsible person with regards to the sound of the band. I think they sounded like they did in large part because of him. And you can just listen to albums pre and post. Then, the argument could be made "Thats just because Tim is part of the band, and you have a guitar now." Well, Tim played on quite a few albums (although I understand the difference in guesting on album and being part of band). But Tim was also part of the band in May and June of 2008. June was Arguably the greatest one month run in the bands history. Leroi knew how to create riffs within a song that you didn't hear unless you really listened very closely. I am still discovering masterpieces of Roi's work on studio albums, things I didn't hear before. It wasn't until about 8-10 years ago that I first actually heard Roi's riffs on Crush. It's absolutely beautiful.

So at the same time that he just sunk into the music and wasn't heard by the passerby listener, he made the song what it was. He made songs bigger, much Jazzier, and much more authentic to DMB. This is what separates Roi from most other sax players. He doesn't care about being heard. He cares about the song. He doesn't care about taking care of himself. He only cares about taking care of the music and making sure a song sounds as good as it possibly can. If you notice on the recent albums, the sax riffs more or less just go straight along with the melody or straight along with dave's already made up vocal melody. Roi was able to create his own melodies, he added his riffs on like layers of a cake. And of course, we all like more layers on a cake. Same with a song. The more layers, the better.
I think is beyond opinion and veering into fact zone.

Lillywhite has stated that he (Lillywhite) knew how to get the best out of Boyd, but he and others have said that Roi was who helped shaped Boyd parts, that he helped guide Boyd. Roi definitely created and shaped the horn/violin harmony and counterpoint parts. Dave has expressed clearly how much Roi inspired him and the sound of the band. His death also played a big part in why Boyd is no longer around.

Despite Roi's strong will that Dave and Lillywhite have expressed, Roi was part of the glue for the band. Even in his passing, Roi is part of why the guys still do this...as a tribute to their friend who the love and miss.

I don't need layers though...a single layer of great cake is all perfect. The core five with sprinklings of Tim were like that...magic. The nuance and dynamics are much different now and while I still love it, I miss Roi more than anything else.
grilldanmo is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #3692
    MrMarchingants
    Im coming slow but

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Well said grilldano
    MrMarchingants is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #3693
    Stgeurin

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

This is solid. Well said. I’ve never considered this, but it does make you wonder how Boyd’s playing might would have stayed more solid if Roi had been around. To be clear, not discussing Boyd’s personal life, just his playing. Obviously there have always been issues with Boyd’s playing, never been perfect. But you can hear the big drop off beginning just a few years following Roi’s death. Into the 2010’s.

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>Thirtyfouroi</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">I feel Roi was the most responsible person with regards to the sound of the band. <b>I think they sounded like they did in large part because of him.</b> And you can just listen to albums pre and post. Then, the argument could be made "Thats just because Tim is part of the band, and you have a guitar now." Well, Tim played on quite a few albums (although I understand the difference in guesting on album and being part of band). But Tim was also part of the band in May and June of 2008. June was Arguably the greatest one month run in the bands history. Leroi knew how to create riffs within a song that you didn't hear unless you really listened very closely. I am still discovering masterpieces of Roi's work on studio albums, things I didn't hear before. It wasn't until about 8-10 years ago that I first actually heard Roi's riffs on Crush. It's absolutely beautiful.<br>
    <br>
    So at the same time that he just sunk into the music and wasn't heard by the passerby listener, he made the song what it was. He made songs bigger, much Jazzier, and much more authentic to DMB. This is what separates Roi from most other sax players. He doesn't care about being heard. He cares about the song. He doesn't care about taking care of himself. He only cares about taking care of the music and making sure a song sounds as good as it possibly can. If you notice on the recent albums, the sax riffs more or less just go straight along with the melody or straight along with dave's already made up vocal melody. Roi was able to create his own melodies, he added his riffs on like layers of a cake. And of course, we all like more layers on a cake. Same with a song. The more layers, the better.</div>
    </div>I think is beyond opinion and veering into fact zone.<br>
    <br>
    Lillywhite has stated that he (Lillywhite) knew how to get the best out of Boyd, but he and others have said that Roi was who helped shaped Boyd parts, that he helped guide Boyd. Roi definitely created and shaped the horn/violin harmony and counterpoint parts. Dave has expressed clearly how much Roi inspired him and the sound of the band. His death also played a big part in why Boyd is no longer around.<br>
    <br>
    Despite Roi's strong will that Dave and Lillywhite have expressed, Roi was part of the glue for the band. Even in his passing, Roi is part of why the guys still do this...as a tribute to their friend who the love and miss.<br>
    <br>
    I don't need layers though...a single layer of great cake is all perfect. The core five with sprinklings of Tim were like that...magic. The nuance and dynamics are much different now and while I still love it, I miss Roi more than anything else.
    Stgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #3694
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stgeurin View Post
    This is solid. Well said. I’ve never considered this, but it does make you wonder how Boyd’s playing might would have stayed more solid if Roi had been around. To be clear, not discussing Boyd’s personal life, just his playing. Obviously there have always been issues with Boyd’s playing, never been perfect. But you can hear the big drop off beginning just a few years following Roi’s death. Into the 2010’s.
    I have a notion that this was part of why they tried working with Lillywhite again. Boyd is almost completely absent from Big Wiskey and Steve really was good at making sure he was heard and well placed.

I've wondered how much of Boyd not being more prominent on BW was due to Boyd's idiosyncracies and being depressed (and uninspired) due to Roi's death vs Cavallo not being sure how to integrate the violin into the sound of any band. This was clearly an issue w/ Ballard and Batson too. And it's not that didn't use Boyd, they just didn't feature him or have him playing with and off the horn like Lillywhite and Roi did...even when Roi and Boyd were both in the studio.
    Old 08-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #3695
    Thirtyfouroi

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I have a notion that this was part of why they tried working with Lillywhite again. Boyd is almost completely absent from Big Wiskey and Steve really was good at making sure he was heard and well placed.

I've wondered how much of Boyd not being more prominent on BW was due to Boyd's idiosyncracies and being depressed (and uninspired) due to Roi's death vs Cavallo not being sure how to integrate the violin into the sound of any band. This was clearly an issue w/ Ballard and Batson too. And it's not that didn't use Boyd, they just didn't feature him or have him playing with and off the horn like Lillywhite and Roi did...even when Roi and Boyd were both in the studio.
    I guess just think of the impact if it were the case that Roi was Boyd's anchor. That roi essentially was boyd's mentor. That most of what boyd did on an album and maintaining his place in the band, that it was mentored and negotiated by Roi whether through inspiration, motivation, a practical guide to what sounds good, or literally helping him create his riffs. If you are relying on Roi as your staying power in the band, and your success can be contributed to Roi alone (it was Roi who invited him to play on TB early on, maybe carter and roi), and all the sudden you don't have him. Think what that would do to you. We have all been in a place where we have gone to a party with a friend, and that friend was the only reason we went to the party. Because we didn't know anybody there etc. Think about gong to that same party without that friend. Now imagine that is your career.

Now, to what extent that metaphor could be used, who knows. But if that was the case, it would have been really tough to be boyd tinsley in the later years. But, put your pride away. Reach out to the guys. Explain. Find somebody new to assist you, to help you out musically. Don't mope around on stage. Don't f up a song on purpose or constantly have an out of tuen violin. Those are all things you can control. You could have had 10 in-tune violins sitting next to you on stage. There is no reason you should have had an out of tune violin. For the same reason Dave never had an out of tuen guitar or a guitar with a broken string. I digress.
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #3696
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Was gone all weekend long, but just threw on the '02 Gorge show from DMB Drive-In. Brought a smile to my face (and the face of everyone on stage in the moment) hearing Roi absolutely slay on that Lover Lay Down. Just fucking beautiful. Hope everyone had a pleasant holiday weekend.
    Old 09-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #3697
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Was gone all weekend long, but just threw on the '02 Gorge show from DMB Drive-In. Brought a smile to my face (and the face of everyone on stage in the moment) hearing Roi absolutely slay on that Lover Lay Down. Just fucking beautiful. Hope everyone had a pleasant holiday weekend.
    My wife I thought something similar...Roi on LLD is one of the best musical moments one could experience. Got lucky to see it live once...
    Old 09-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #3698
    Captainnumber36

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I also love Roi on Grace is Gone jams.
    Captainnumber36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #3699
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Been pretty stuck on Lover Lay Down from the '95 Summer Tour lately.

RIP, Roi. Miss you up there, man.

OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #3700
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I know I have mentioned this before in here but for those who didn't see it I will tell you what a great guy he was. In Hartford say 17 or so years ago 2 friends and I were walking down the street from our hotel to snag breakfast and walked into Roi. I did not have my night 1 stub with me but he signed those my friends had on them. We started talking about what a great show they put on the previous night and he thanked us for our kind words but clearly wanted to get out of there so we said nice to see you again and all of us bolted. Couple hours later we were in the hotel bar hours before the show, Roi walks into the hotel (band was staying at the same one as we were) - sees us in the bar and walks over all apologetic. He explained he was in a rush to meet people for Fathers day then sat with us, chatted for a while, signed what we had, gave us backstage passes and then picked up our tab. Just a great wonderful man whom I dearly miss after hanging out having drinks with him after shows numerous times. Just thought some of the newer fans would enjoy that story t hat shows what kind of a guy Roi was!
    Old 06-22-2021, 05:22 AM   #3701
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    I know I have mentioned this before in here but for those who didn't see it I will tell you what a great guy he was. In Hartford say 17 or so years ago 2 friends and I were walking down the street from our hotel to snag breakfast and walked into Roi. I did not have my night 1 stub with me but he signed those my friends had on them. We started talking about what a great show they put on the previous night and he thanked us for our kind words but clearly wanted to get out of there so we said nice to see you again and all of us bolted. Couple hours later we were in the hotel bar hours before the show, Roi walks into the hotel (band was staying at the same one as we were) - sees us in the bar and walks over all apologetic. He explained he was in a rush to meet people for Fathers day then sat with us, chatted for a while, signed what we had, gave us backstage passes and then picked up our tab. Just a great wonderful man whom I dearly miss after hanging out having drinks with him after shows numerous times. Just thought some of the newer fans would enjoy that story t hat shows what kind of a guy Roi was!
    Great story!

I failed at my one chance to meet Roi. NYC, December 2000. I was with Stefan at the Band's holiday party. The club had booth seating, and Roi was at the very next booth over. I was 22 at the time. Roi was at a table with (what appeared to me at the time) to be NYC socialites. Basically, they were just dressed much better than I was. ALL I had to do was ask Stefan to introduce me so I could say hello, but I was intimidated by the people he was sitting with. So dumb, I know. I was the true fan in the place. Roi more than likely would have obliged me for a minute or two.

Life. Can't live with regrets.

RIP, Roi.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2021, 07:27 PM   #3702
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Warehouse LT50

Incredible solos
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-06-2021, 08:52 PM   #3703
    8nalive

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I miss your attitude Roi
    8nalive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 05:46 AM   #3704
    Aircanuck

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Is anyone able to explain why Dave called Roi "his most difficult friend" at times? Question is not out of malice, I'm just curious to know him better.
    Aircanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2021, 06:40 AM   #3705
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Think roi pushed Dave hard and his standards were very high
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #3706
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Roi was my hero growing up. Always wishing in vain the man was still here to play music for us
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #3707
    GraceBuckley

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    Is anyone able to explain why Dave called Roi "his most difficult friend" at times? Question is not out of malice, I'm just curious to know him better.
    Roi was a complex guy. I'd be really interested to see a couple of the places he said that, do you have any links to any interviews or articles or wherever he said it? I'd be interested in the context.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #3708
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

The last song I saw Leroi Moore play was Ants Marching. His 2nd to last show ever.

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...=98&where=2008
    Old 08-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #3709
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

thirteen years, wow
    Old 08-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #3710
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Missing his sound today and forever.
    Old 08-19-2021, 04:19 PM   #3711
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Time flies. Sucks.
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #3712
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Happy birthday, Roi.

Would have turned 60 today.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #3713
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Happy Birthday, Roi! I saw one of your last shows in Mansfield, MA in 2008 and I am happy to say that I did. :leroy

Fonzie wishes you a happy birthday, too.

https://twitter.com/SLessard/status/1435296905970413569

:leroy
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2021, 04:47 AM   #3714
    ethanen

My Tour Central Stats

Unfortunately this link doesn't work may be the the link is too old or that Post which is in this link is removed. So can you please check it and update it.

FMWhatsApp Apk

Last edited by ethanen; 09-08-2021 at 04:49 AM.
    ethanen is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #3715
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Happy Belated B-day to the

https://youtu.be/7jz3kZDQcr4?t=2893
    Old 09-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #3716
    TypicalBilly14