New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 190 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #5671
grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

My favorite part of You & Me is despite sometimes audible groans from the crowds pretty much EVERYONE in the audience sings along.

We didn't hear any groans when they played it at MSG in 2018, but the ENTIRE arena sang along. It's like me w/ Ants and Billies (the latter of which I've never cared for), where I don't need nor want to hear them live again, but I'm singing along pretty quickly after they start playing it. I'm sure some of the singers are also the haters swept up in the moment...because, why the fuck not?!?
grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #5672
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

I find the lack of news on the new album to infer that those in the know likely know more than they're either able to share or are comfortable sharing.

Don't care if this assumption is accurate, it's just the one I've settled on...
    Old 08-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #5673
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I sing along with every song I don't prefer
    Old 08-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #5674
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I’ll sing along. And probably get more of the lyrics to Seven right than Dave!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #5675
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    I sing along with every song I don't prefer
    I only sing along w/ the songs I like, so it's pretty much two ED and one SU tune...the rest from either is a good time to stretch my legs...barring being on the rail in the pit (which has only happened once for us).

I couldn't sing along with the other tunes, because I don't know the lyrics...never listened to them enough to learn them. That said, there are quite a few tunes that I very much enjoy/love despite not knowing the lyrics. The prime example is the current live iteration of JTR...I only know the lyrics to tLWS version.
    Old 08-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #5676
    TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Just a heads up in case a new album comes out in fall or winter and DMB plays SNL to promote it, the lottery window is now open to enter for SNL tickets.
    It's only open during August.

Saturday Night Live

The Saturday Night Live ticket lottery for the 2021-2022 season will open at 12:00 am EST on August 1, 2021 and run until 11:59 pm EST on August 31, 2021. To enter the lottery, send an email to SNLTICKETS@NBCUNI.COM. You may only send one email per person and all audience members must be at least 16 years of age. Submissions entered before or after the ticket lottery window will not be considered. Please tell us why YOU would like to be a part of our studio audience! If you are selected, you will receive two tickets for a random show date and time.

Tickets cannot be sold, auctioned, or transferred. Beware of tickets offered for sale as they are invalid and will not be accepted.

Please note that entering the lottery does not guarantee tickets, and you will only be notified in the event that you are chosen.

All guests must be fully vaccinated on the day of attendance and will be required to adhere to all applicable COVID protocols. Please note “fully vaccinated” means at least 14 days after receiving the second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine. Proof of vaccination must be your physical vaccination card, which shows a US-approved vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson (Janssen). This will be required upon arrival.

https://www.nbc.com/tickets/pages/ti...bc-studio-tour
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #5677
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Eating belly jelly until kingdom come is an example of ... not cheese?
    On paper maybe….delivery makes it work and fits into the song

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camptravisr View Post
    Pre-chorus, but "shoot...straight....into me bayyyyybe....cupid's airrowwww...." takes the cake but I like the rest of the song
    I just remember ants podcast and seeing Joe do hand motions to this every time I heard it
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbnut21 View Post
    An argument could very well be made that belly jelly is indeed cheese.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    You & Me is one of DMB's top listened songs on Spotify.
    Right and I get it. But at same time it makes me cringe when I hear the chorus every time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    I think You and Me's verses are awesome, the bridge is good, and the end is good. The chorus is just so, so, so bad. Guitar riff is very dmb. There is a more complete/better song in there somewhere that has a completely different chorus.
    Yes this this this. Completely agree.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jollymonkey View Post
    You cant just compare songs on paper.

You and Me's problem is the lyrics in the chorus stink and the way it is sung also stinks.

The combination, while catchy, does not work well. Crash is a great pop song. Yes, "and you come crash into me" is not the deepest of lyrics, but its use in the song far exceeds that of you and me.
    Speaking my language here. Good post and is exactly the problem. Delivery is bad. Agree with you completely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    Just a heads up in case a new album comes out in fall or winter and DMB plays SNL to promote it, the lottery window is now open to enter for SNL tickets.
    It's only open during August.

Saturday Night Live

The Saturday Night Live ticket lottery for the 2021-2022 season will open at 12:00 am EST on August 1, 2021 and run until 11:59 pm EST on August 31, 2021. To enter the lottery, send an email to SNLTICKETS@NBCUNI.COM. You may only send one email per person and all audience members must be at least 16 years of age. Submissions entered before or after the ticket lottery window will not be considered. Please tell us why YOU would like to be a part of our studio audience! If you are selected, you will receive two tickets for a random show date and time.

Tickets cannot be sold, auctioned, or transferred. Beware of tickets offered for sale as they are invalid and will not be accepted.

Please note that entering the lottery does not guarantee tickets, and you will only be notified in the event that you are chosen.

All guests must be fully vaccinated on the day of attendance and will be required to adhere to all applicable COVID protocols. Please note “fully vaccinated” means at least 14 days after receiving the second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine. Proof of vaccination must be your physical vaccination card, which shows a US-approved vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson (Janssen). This will be required upon arrival.

https://www.nbc.com/tickets/pages/ti...bc-studio-tour
    Saw the dead and co are making vax requirements for Pit goers at every show too. Only a matter of time. Real question is do they do that or just cancel last half the tour? I hope no to either but it seems we’re headed that way.
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #5678
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Bibby we just have different barrels
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #5679
    Slackdoodle

My Tour Central Stats

OATB is going to be this album's LITHOG. It's just so damn good, and very reminiscent of early DMB.
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #5680
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slackdoodle View Post
    OATB is going to be this album's LITHOG. It's just so damn good, and very reminiscent of early DMB.
    Interesting take. The thing that's missing from OATB to me is it didn't take the "Spoon" route, quiet at first but builds musically each verse, has a real chorus, slamming outro. Or even LIOG with a middle jam (LIOG never really is quiet though). I wish it took the Spoon approach, I think it could have. The core of the song lends itself well to that type of arrangement.

As a quite little song though, it's still solid. Just feels like it could have been more.
    Old 08-10-2021, 05:51 AM   #5681
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Interesting take. The thing that's missing from OATB to me is it didn't take the "Spoon" route, quiet at first but builds musically each verse, has a real chorus, slamming outro. Or even LIOG with a middle jam (LIOG never really is quiet though). I wish it took the Spoon approach, I think it could have. The core of the song lends itself well to that type of arrangement.

As a quite little song though, it's still solid. Just feels like it could have been more.
    Yeah I don’t get the LITHOG comparison.

I do agree it sounds like some of early dmb. I always get a #34 vibe and feel like it could’ve had a similar type jam if you built it up say the spoon way. Definitely room for growth on the song tho but I imagine it won’t change at this point.
    Old 08-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #5682
    kenticus

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Think even though fonz said it’s all new songs that the return of sweet up and down seemingly into rotation might mean it makes a special appearance on the album? That would be decidedly random
    kenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #5683
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I think SUAD is just one of those random songs they pull out sometimes to jam. Like Write a Song and Joy Ride were yanked out randomly and kept around in 2019. JTR sometimes, etc. So far they have played most of the 2020 songs they brought back - SUAD, Stolen Away, The Riff. Still missing Beach Ball and What You Are from those, though.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #5684
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

OATB is a really good song - excited to see how it evolves. I'd agree I can compare it to LITHOG.
    Old 08-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #5685
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The second I heard Carter playing brushes I was all in on this one. I dug it Dave solo, but it's beautifully done full band. Not sure I get the Lying in the Hands of God comparison. This song doesn't need a big build up. It's a nice laid back song that feels more like something off Under the Table. The obvious comparison is Pay For What You Get because of Carter's drum style. The only problem with this tune is it's not 2 minutes longer with a nice breezy soprano solo from Jeff.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #5686
    thompsoninNY

My Tour Central Stats

I love OATB - this may end up being the best studio song on the album. That's how confident I am since we don't know the other 80% of the album ha.
    thompsoninNY is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #5687
    Slackdoodle

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    Not sure I get the Lying in the Hands of God comparison.

Alright, since this is causing so much confusion: all I meant was that it's going to be a sublime and beautiful track. LITHOG is the "prettiest" moment on Big Whiskey to me, lyrically and musically. And I think OATB has that same potential.
    Old 08-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #5688
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright, since this is causing so much confusion: all I meant was that it's going to be a sublime and beautiful track. LITHOG is the "prettiest" moment on Big Whiskey to me, lyrically and musically. And I think OATB has that same potential.
    What really makes LITHOG (and basically all of BW) special for me is how it is a relatively simple song structurally, but it's so dense in the studio with all the different floating layers happening. I love OATB and I'm excited to hear the studio cut, but I'm not sure it'll be as dynamic on the album as LITHOG is.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #5689
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I can see that. I think that’s where I got my #34 comparison from a beautiful music standpoint. Something about it reminds me of that type of feel good melody.
    Old 08-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #5690
    groogrux27

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The second I heard Carter playing brushes I was all in on this one. I dug it Dave solo, but it's beautifully done full band. Not sure I get the Lying in the Hands of God comparison. This song doesn't need a big build up. It's a nice laid back song that feels more like something off Under the Table. The obvious comparison is Pay For What You Get because of Carter's drum style. The only problem with this tune is it's not 2 minutes longer with a nice breezy soprano solo from Jeff.
    ooh, i can hear that soprano solo now. man they missed out not putting that in there
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #5691
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm glad you said PFWYG, if this song had as strong a chorus as that song, it would be so money. Feels like it's knocking on the door of a PFWYG, but doesn't quite get inside.
    Old 08-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #5692
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    OATB is a really good song - excited to see how it evolves. I'd agree I can compare it to LITHOG.
    I agree. I've been digging this song a lot lately.
    Old 08-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #5693
    dt129700

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

OATB is DMB's Earth Angel.
    dt129700 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #5694
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dt129700 View Post
    OATB is DMB's Earth Angel.
    Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard the similarities.
    madhatter is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #5695
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

OATB sounds a bit off to me. Might just need more plays but it feels like one big hiccup to me. Almost like the unique guitar riff makes it hard to back by the band. Awkward sounding almost. But I do like it, just think it needs to be filled in more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #5696
    dt129700

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    OATB sounds a bit off to me. Might just need more plays but it feels like one big hiccup to me. Almost like the unique guitar riff makes it hard to back by the band. Awkward sounding almost. But I do like it, just think it needs to be filled in more

Needs more cowbell.
    dt129700 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #5697
    Slackdoodle

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    OATB sounds a bit off to me. Might just need more plays but it feels like one big hiccup to me. Almost like the unique guitar riff makes it hard to back by the band. Awkward sounding almost.

Are you familiar with the Dave Matthews Band?
    Old 08-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #5698
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Are you familiar with the Dave Matthews Band?
    noice...
    Old 08-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #5699
    Chrissbox

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maythekarma1 View Post
    still kills me they recorded sugar will and bismarck, and thought "nah, dont release those. Let's release baby blue and come tomorrow instead." smfh.

Sent from my sm-g950f using tapatalk
    preach brother
    Chrissbox is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #5700
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    Think even though fonz said it’s all new songs that the return of sweet up and down seemingly into rotation might mean it makes a special appearance on the album? That would be decidedly random
    It's all how they define "new," right? A song like SUAD could very well be new to the casual and newer fanbase and therefore Stefan could be speaking to them. It's rarely played in shows, has never appeared on an album, and a recent recording could technically render it "new" in the eyes of the record label. Now this is 1000000% me being optimistic and borderline (read: aggressively) unrealistic, but stranger things have indeed happened.

Best example of this is probably Halloween, where it had been in sets for almost a decade before finding its way onto an album and, in the context of [mostly] brand new, studio-written songs, it definitely felt new and fresh. Understood that 21 years > ~7 years, but you get my point. Though it debuted in, what, 2016?, Bismarck would absolutely be regarded as "new", just like Come On Come On was despite it being laid down in the studio also a decade earlier. It's all relative, man.
    - Sean
    CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote