Who do you prefer? Buddy, Butch or Peter? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Who do you prefer? Buddy, Butch or Peter?

I think Buddy is the best thing to happen to this band. Though I would still love a violin back in the mix. He was a little circus sounding the first couple weeks of the 2018 tour, but once he got comfortable and learned more songs he brought the energy way up! Brings that gospel soul vibe to a lot of songs which is a plus for me.

Butch was a good piano player.. But wayyy to lounge jazzy back of the college bar sound.. Just took songs down a notch, like Two Step, when you wanted them to escalate... I just got tired of him in 04 ish... It was good he left when Tim joined... As the energy of the sets and classic songs went back to where they should have been..

Butch wasn't always boring but perhaps HE was bored the last couple years and that's why he left..

Peter was fun.. I like early DMB days... But the soundboards sometimes have him too hot in the mix and it sounds like keys, bass and drums... He had good back up vocals though and a killer harmonica player...
HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-27-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Who do you prefer? Buddy, Butch or Peter?

Butch. Hands down, Butch.

Love Buddy, though.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Butch by a lot, Tim wrecked their sound when he joined for years

Saying Butch was bored and left the band because of it is one way to say it
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post

Butch left before he played a note with Tim in 08..
    Old 05-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Tim Reynolds who might as well be an OG member, wrecked their sound? That's like saying Robert Hunter fucked up Jerry Garcias songwriting ability.
    Old 05-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I prefer the band WITHOUT keyboards. There’s not enough Peter material to compare and it’s a small sample of the band’s catalog. So, it’s really down to Butch & Buddy...

I never cared for Butch’s contributions to the band and didn’t think the band needed to fill the space between the core five members. As such, I was not interested/enthused by them bring keys back to the band. That said, in this expanded line up, I’ve enjoyed the musical contributions that Buddy has made. His energy and enthusiasm have objectively invigorated the band. The trade offs between Buddy and Timmy have been awesome, as have those between Jeff and Buddy (although we’ve less of these at our shows). Dave and Carter definitely love playing with him. I love the B3 sound, so that doesn’t bother me and I do NOT want a rehash of anything Butch did.

As you can tell, I’m all about Buddy.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    Tim Reynolds who might as well be an OG member, wrecked their sound? That's like saying Robert Hunter fucked up Jerry Garcias songwriting ability.
    agreed & QFT
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #8
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Butch all day. The meandering "lounge" jams are what the band as a whole were into at the time, any one of them could have said they didn't enjoy those and got rid of them and didn't. They did work in opposition to some songs, but far less than they worked for. He left for other reasons.

Peter was interesting, but he always had one foot out the door musically.

Buddy just hasn't had enough time yet to be comparable or have much impact. I like him in general so far.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dodo36; 05-27-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #9
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Butch left before he played a note with Tim in 08..

I know

Quote:

Yep, compare late 90's - early 00's DMB to the electric wall of sound they turned into
    Old 05-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #10
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

DMB f. Tim in the 90s was very different than DMB f. Tim over the last decade or so.

He may have been around since '93, but the BTCS tour is the only one before 2008 outside of D&T shows where you could say that he was there for more than a handful of gigs. Friend of the band, absolutely. Influential, absolutely. But be realistic in your assessment. Tim's studio additions to UTTAD through BTCS are far more vital to the arrangement than his current role as lead guitarist.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #11
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Love them all. Have always loved keys on DMB tunes. Maybe recency bias but I have to give Buddy the slight edge over Butch. He's just as talented as Butch (I wouldn't go so far as to say more talented) but he just has an electrifying stage presence that Butch never brought. Though in fairness that presence wasn't as needed when Butch was playing with the band, as Boyd and a more youthful band in general had that in abundance. Much respect to Peter as well.
    Old 05-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #12
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm thinking you haven't listened to many shows that featured Tim prior to 2008.

That was a horrible analogy.
    Old 05-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #13
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    I'm thinking you haven't listened to many shows that featured Tim prior to 2008.

That was a horrible analogy.
    I'm thinking your assuming nonsense. I listened to plenty of shows prior to 08... PBBBTH!
    Old 05-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #14
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm thinking your assuming nonsense. I listened to plenty of shows prior to 08... PBBBTH!
    Well if *you're not speaking nonsense and you actually have listened to plenty of shows (that feature Tim) prior to 2008, you would know that Tim's sound in the mix is completely different now than it was prior to him becoming a full time member of the band.

And the Garcia/Hunter analogy is just horrible. Hunter was always considered a silent member of the Dead, and was always Garcia's lyricist. I really don't know where you were trying to go with that when comparing them to Tim & DMB.

And I don't know what "PBBBTH" means.
    Old 05-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #15
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well if *you're not speaking nonsense and you actually have listened to plenty of shows (that feature Tim) prior to 2008, you would know that Tim's sound in the mix is completely different now than it was prior to him becoming a full time member of the band.

And the Garcia/Hunter analogy is just horrible. Hunter was always considered a silent member of the Dead, and was always Garcia's lyricist. I really don't know where you were trying to go with that when comparing them to Tim & DMB.

And I don't know what "PBBBTH" means.
    Dude. Garcia would be nothing without Hunter. Dave would be nothing without Tim. Tim is the reason this band exists and you are acting like he's a problem... His sound has changed, but you can't say post 08 the main spark for this band shouldn't be in it!
    The analogy has more nuance than you're capable of understanding. Sorry to be too complex..
    Old 05-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #16
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dude. Garcia would be nothing without Hunter. Dave would be nothing without Tim. Tim is the reason this band exists and you are acting like he's a problem... His sound has changed, but you can't say post 08 the main spark for this band shouldn't be in it!
    The analogy has more nuance than you're capable of understanding. Sorry to be too complex..
    Um. OK.

And the reason I don't understand your analogy is because your analogy is crap.

Sorry that your analogy lacks any trace of nuance and is complete and utter crap.
    Old 05-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #17
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yeaaah I'll just agree to disagree
    Old 05-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #18
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Um. OK.

And the reason I don't understand your analogy is because your analogy is crap.

Sorry that your analogy lacks any trace of nuance and is complete and utter crap.
    Good one.
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #19
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Peter experimented with his sound the most out of any of the three, the band was also formulating songs/overall sound then as well so that plays into it.

Butch added another layer and was a very good improv piano player, he brought a lot to the table. Sure he brought down energy levels in songs when he should have escalated, but he's by far my keyboard player with DMB.

Buddy is good for what he is, he adds some energy, but he's really not a very good improv musician...he just isn't, he does that slide thing wayyy too often in his "solos."

I do like what he did with Everyday though and his singing parts...I also wish he would go back in the catalog and do some of Peter's bits on songs like Two Step...that tango thing he did in the improv part of the song would take a lot of the work off of Carter.
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #20
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeaaah I'll just agree to disagree
    For fucks sake, it's in the building blocks for the story of how this band started. Tim encouraged Dave to go start his own band. Dave was endlessly inspired by Tim and wanted to be part of his band. Dave had been pining since day 1 to get Tim to be in this band full time. It took 15 years of convincing... and after that, you think the band went to shit... And Dave himself is happier than ever since Tim has been around... Tell me that's bullshit.
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #21
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For fucks sake, it's in the building blocks for the story of how this band started. Tim encouraged Dave to go start his own band. Dave was endlessly inspired by Tim and wanted to be part of his band. Dave had been pining since day 1 to get Tim to be in this band full time. It took 15 years of convincing... and after that, you think the band went to shit... And Dave himself is happier than ever since Tim has been around... Tell me that's bullshit.
    This bold part has more nuance than you're capable of understanding. Sorry, it's just too complex..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #22
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    Peter experimented with his sound the most out of any of the three, the band was also formulating songs/overall sound then as well so that plays into it.

Butch added another layer and was a very good improv piano player, he brought a lot to the table. Sure he brought down energy levels in songs when he should have escalated, but he's by far my keyboard player with DMB.

Buddy is good for what he is, he adds some energy, but he's really not a very good improv musician...he just isn't, he does that slide thing wayyy too often in his "solos."

I do like what he did with Everyday though and his singing parts...I also wish he would go back in the catalog and do some of Peter's bits on songs like Two Step...that tango thing he did in the improv part of the song would take a lot of the work off of Carter.
    I'll agree with you about Buddy. But for better or worse DMB is not much of an improv band right now anyways..

He's got room for improvement, but he's off to a great start and hope it continues..

Butch was too good I think.. He's a cerebral musician.. I think he'd be happiest in a quintet at an esteemed jazz lounge playing classics than jamming with DMB on the road... I'm sure he made good money for the decade he did it and got out on his terms..
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #23
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You're just going to ignore Dave playing songs for Carter and LeRoi and them saying he had something going on, the band peaking with Tim nowhere in sight, Dave writing the songs that made the band famous, Dave's wife and kids being the reason he is happy in life? Okay

And yes the band's sound fell off a cliff for years when Tim came back
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #24
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    This bold part has more nuance than you're capable of understanding. Sorry, it's just too complex..
    Have you ever smelled a rainbow?
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #25
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're just going to ignore Dave playing songs for Carter and LeRoi and them saying he had something going on, the band peaking with Tim nowhere in sight, Dave writing the songs that made the band famous, Dave's wife and kids being the reason he is happy in life? Okay

And yes the band's sound fell off a cliff for years when Tim came back
    Because Tim encouraged him to!!

He was married with Kids before Tim came back.

When exactly did it come back up the cliff for you? I think most people would say 08 was an excellent year for this band after 3 or 4 monotonous ones.
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #26
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Have you ever smelled a rainbow?
    nah, no Synaesthesia for me but ive tasted the rainbow before

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #27
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

I'm ready to really get into about Dave Matthews Band today. How about you guys? Lets rage.
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #28
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    nah, no Synaesthesia for me but ive tasted the rainbow before
    Big word.
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #29
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Because Tim encouraged him to!!

He was married with Kids before Tim came back.

When exactly did it come back up the cliff for you? I think most people would say 08 was an excellent year for this band after 3 or 4 monotonous ones.

Man if it weren't for Tim I bet Dave never would have thought to start a band with musicians he had his eye on for years

Coincidentally he was also happy for years with them before Tim came back

They sounded great in June of '08, as the years went on Tim's God awful crunchy tone of his blaring electric wrecked their sound overall, it's gradually gotten better the last couple years
    Old 05-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #30
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Man if it weren't for Tim I bet Dave never would have thought to start a band with musicians he had his eye on for years

Coincidentally he was also happy for years with them before Tim came back

They sounded great in June of '08, as the years went on Tim's God awful crunchy tone of his blaring electric wrecked their sound overall, it's gradually gotten better the last couple years
    that's one person's bad opinion. Did you keep going to shows and listening to them and participating on this board even though their sound was wrecked from July 08 until 2 year ago?