Few quick thoughts on Raleigh - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
phatpig
Thank You Roi

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Few quick thoughts on Raleigh

Sooo.. how about that Sugar Will huh? Oh well, it'll be out soon.

ANYWAY..

- Seek Up isn't one of my favorites (OMG you should be banned phatpig) but I have never seen it open before so it was cool in a novelty kinda way.

- Didn't get my wish about SDL not being played, but it was ok. Don't think the band should be playing this and I felt like I was at a D&T concert during this song.

- Starting from Cornbread through Rapunzel, the show was FANTASTIC. Rapunzel is lacking without Butch, but it's one of my faves so always a good time. 41 was beautiful and FINALLY we get some sax on that song, and Crush was spectacular. Really those 2 songs were the highlight of the show easily.

- I should have left the show after Rapunzel ended and went out on a high note because the rest of the show SUCKED.

- Space Between, love this song, but does not work whatsoever the way they are playing it. Horrible. Better than Sister (but what isn't?), but it lacked everything I like about the album cut of the song. It's gotta have some horns, and it neeeedss the electric. Dave will get the hint and ditch the acoustic on this one if he continues to play it hopefully because this was not good. Sounded pretty much exactly like the Nissan version.

- I will not go into a song by song review after this because I don't want to relive this. Repeating Everyday from Charlotte is a disgrace, and I was honestly visibly angry when he started Bayou. I saw the electric coming and I yelled "noooo Dave pleeasee no Bayou", prayer unanswered Bayou was a mess too, just put this shit on the shelf please.

- I'm sure many will see the encore more positive than I did, but I despise Gravedigger and was hoping for a Pay For or a cover I didn't get in Charlotte. Was also hoping for Thank You to end the show since we didn't get a cover E1, but I got Billies for the hundreth time. Nothing wrong with Billies, just wasn't what I wanted. Close this show with Billies, remove Bayou from the set, close the encore with Thank You and we have something here.

- They cut Dreaming Tree, Jimi Thing, Hey Hey My My, Grey Street (not complaining here), but keep Smooth, Everyday, and Bayou? The way that set was written, they went out of their way to handpick shit.

- Overall, I enjoyed Charlotte FAR more. The only thing I didn't enjoy in Charlotte was ED, but this show was awful for half of it IMO. They didn't utilize Tim nearly as much in Raleigh either, they let him rip on almost every song in Charlotte, and when he didn't have a solo, it was a song that he had key fills in which made me enjoy it (Satellite, Too Much, etc). I didn't understand the thought process in writing this setlist when you have Tim Reynolds on stage. Coffin was amazing of course, but use Tim PLEASE.
phatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
    DirtyDeeds449
    crooked as danger

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Few quick thoughts on Raleigh

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phatpig View Post
    - Seek Up isn't one of my favorites (OMG you should be banned phatpig) but I have never seen it open before so it was cool in a novelty kinda way.

- Didn't get my wish about SDL not being played, but it was ok.
    Don't think the band should be playing this and I felt like I was at a D&T concert during this song.
    DirtyDeeds449 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Few quick thoughts on Raleigh

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds449 View Post
    I realize I am in the minority on Seek Up. I don't hate it, it just does nothing for me. I think recent versions are also even more lackluster. I was hoping for a Bartender opener since Butch is gone and I can enjoy that one again, but no dice.
    phatpig is offline   Reply With Quote