Social Anxiety Disorder - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-07-2004, 04:24 PM   #91
seekup422

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Social Anxiety Disorder

Thanks, and yeah I definitely agree with that.
seekup422 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-07-2004, 05:37 PM   #92
    hardmb41
    Roi rules

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekup422
    I don't want to take drugs at all, what I want to do is go see a therapist but I can't bring myself to do it so for the time being I've taken things into my own hands, if these little "sessions" of mine don't have any effect then I guess I'll have no choice but to talk to a doctor.
    Hey seek up! Therapy is a worthwhile venture and very helpful. But the key to therapy is finding a therapist that you truly "gel" with...someone you feel you get something from every visit. I was in a group therapy situation for @ 8 months w/ a well-known social worker in Philly, and am now w/ a psychologist. The reasons for which I started were quite different...I have been in a verbally, psychologically, financially abusive marriage for 8 years and am finally divorcing the prick!

It is good that you are able to come to terms with yourself and know that there is a problem. My ex would NEVER level w/ himself the way you have with yourself. I find it very commendable and wish you nothing but the best!!! If you want the name of the social worker in Philly, mail me.

I say give it a go...as someone else said...self-diagnosis is not the best way to go. A licensed therapist will be able to tell you if you have this disorder in the first place. If you don't like it, you can always stop...Good luck and keep your head up ;-)
    hardmb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2004, 05:47 PM   #93
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunkyTeaParty
    I don't have this disorder so I know it is easy for me to say, but when I feel nervous or shy in a social situation this is what I do. I look around at all the idiots that are in my daily life. There is no way in hell I am as stupid/rude/inadequate as them and yet they seem to function fine socially. I came to the realization years ago that I really don't care how most people perceive me because I like the person I see in the mirror every morning. I still try to be the best/nicest person I can be, but if someone thinks I'm weird or annoying to hell with them. My mom loves me!!!

By the way, Jake, when you say lay of the pills you're not talking about Percocets. right?

oh that is quality. Inside jokes are the best out in public

by the way, my conclusion-jumping friends, I think my context to pills being placebos didn't apply to epileptic disorders, or headaches, or stuff like that.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #94
    Krugger

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake
    oh that is quality. Inside jokes are the best out in public

by the way, my conclusion-jumping friends, I think my context to pills being placebos didn't apply to epileptic disorders, or headaches, or stuff like that.
    obviously, but what about my manic-depression point. it's not a stretch to go from MD to Depression to SAD, and say all could certainly involve chemical imbalances.
    -Number27
    Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #95
    jcantrell82

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krugger
    obviously, but what about my manic-depression point. it's not a stretch to go from MD to Depression to SAD, and say all could certainly involve chemical imbalances.

It's not a stretch by any means. My mom has suffered from bipolar her entire life. Her mother had severe clinical depression, and her father was bipolar as well.

It's been proven to be a genetic disorder, just as many other diseases, and medication is shown to be very effective.

SAD and depression often go hand in hand, and they are very treatable.
    jcantrell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2004, 07:38 PM   #96
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcantrell82

It's not a stretch by any means. My mom has suffered from bipolar her entire life. Her mother had severe clinical depression, and her father was bipolar as well.

It's been proven to be a genetic disorder, just as many other diseases, and medication is shown to be very effective.

SAD and depression often go hand in hand, and they are very treatable.

Bipolar is a totally different bag. But don't mistake depressed for Bipolar.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #97
    jcantrell82

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I lived with the woman for 15 years.... I believe I know what bipolar is. :

You really have no case. I'm done.
    jcantrell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2004, 07:47 PM   #98
    Fluff
    5-3

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

def
    Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2004, 07:48 PM   #99
    MelissaDMBfan
    Hollywood Boyfriend

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They are two different disorders, but being depressed is part of being bipolar.
    Old 07-07-2004, 10:39 PM   #100
    pkpro1
    proud jetta owner

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekup422
    about the over diagnosed thing http://socialanxiety.factsforhealth.org/whatcommon.html

But that's just a site on the internet, who knows where they get their info. (though it seems like a reliable site)

see www.webmd.com

there's a lot of things there for you as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick@Night View Post
    Huge nipples, Tom Brady, skanky bitches suck

End of Thread
    pkpro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2004, 08:22 PM   #101
    dmbnj79

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by saygoodbye12
    I wouldn't say overrated, but certainly over-diagnosed. I can't say that is definitely the case for Social Anxiety Disorder but it is certainly the case for ADHD.

This thread is proof of why it sucks that disorders like these are overly diagnosed...it leads people to think they don't exist or that people are just faking it.
    Nicole, as always, I agree with you.

Those who CLAIM to have SAD, if you ask them, have not been diagnosed. Go to a doctor before you start claiming you have a disorder. And then, after a few sessions, if your doctor doesn't see improvement, he may prescribe something for you. Don't resort to drugs as a form of healing. GO SEEK HELP with a professional.

I know for a fact this disorder exists, I also know that people use a disorder that they don't have as a means to get attention just by claiming they have it. Stop using a disorder to get pity from people. It's tired.

Seekup, I wish you luck and I hope you overcome whatever it is you have going on. If you ever need to talk, shoot me a PM. I don't check them often, but I'll try.

Ciao!
    dmbnj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #102
    FunkyTeaParty

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Great bipolar story.....About three years ago my roommate and two of my friends wake me up at about midnight on a Sunday and tell me there is a topless girl in out living room. I thought they were bullshitting, but I had to at least check it out. Sure enough there is a 30-something girl with a decent face, but a smoking-ass body hanging out topless. I'll spare you the story of how my buddies found her. We eventually talk her into losing the jeans and panties and then used simple reverse pyschology like "you're too old to put your legs over your head" and stuff like that to get her all bent up like a pretzel. For about an hour I thought she was just drunk or high or whatever. After talking her into giving me what amounted to a lapdance I got to talking to her and came to realize she had problems that were going to get worse rather than better as morning drew closer. She told me she was a poet, author, an LA detective tracking her sister's murderer (which she claimed to have witnessed) and a madame (who used to service Tupac and was with him when he was murdered) among other outlandish stories. Mind you, she told me these stories while sitting in my lap buck naked. Now I like a nice nutty chick as much as the next guy, but after casually mentioning her lithium was wearing off and staring into my eyes for a good 10 seconds before saying "I don't trust you" I figured maybe it was time to get a few ZZZZs. But not before pushing my dresser against the bedroom door.

Long story short (too late), she started saying creepy things to my roommate so he took her out to get cigarettes at about 4am, gave her three different answers everytime she asked, "what town are we in?", handed her 10 bucks to run into the 7-11 and took off like a bat out of hell as soon as she went in the door. This girl hung out at our house buck naked for about 4 hours!! I've organized bachelor parties and have paid outrageous sums of money to girls to "entertain" that looked half as good as her. The girl obviously had some serious problems and she's lucky she wandered into a house with some decent guys because I know people that would have tore her eight ways from Sunday as soon as those panties came off.

I just thought that was a cute story.
    FunkyTeaParty is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #103
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I think I get a little bit of social anxiety

But it's more after the fact.

I went to a buddy's tailgate at a football game and I had a few too many and I was drunk but not to the point where I couldn't controle myself. I wasn't acting like an idiot or anything. Anyway, I see his mom and I say hay (I know her from church). she asked me about school and shit like that. And I know my conversation was coherent and I was respectful but I really hope I wasn't slurring my words and stuff like that. Because it just looks bad to parent. My friend got in trubble for drinking in HS but he went in a compleatly diffent direction and I'm pretty sure he doent drink any more. But basically I want to be invented back and I don't want them thinking I'm a bad influence or something.

Last edited by tyler3440; 11-11-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    tyler3440 is online now   Reply With Quote