DMB & other jam bands on NBC News - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-11-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
Slackdoodle

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

DMB & other jam bands on NBC News

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...ish-rcna102571

Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-11-2023, 04:13 PM   #2
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB & other jam bands on NBC News

Love it. Thoe are some awesome pics of fans in the article too!
    Old 09-11-2023, 04:43 PM   #3
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I wish DMB was a jam band

Very cool article though

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2023, 04:47 PM   #4
    kmbean

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Lol at that dude with the Dave face shirt and giant Firedancer chain. Dressing like he’s going to a boy band show.

Last edited by kmbean; 09-11-2023 at 04:48 PM.
    kmbean is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2023, 06:00 PM   #5
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmbean View Post
    Lol at that dude with the Dave face shirt and giant Firedancer chain. Dressing like he’s going to a boy band show.
    Clearly you’ve never been to the Gorge

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
    Slackdoodle

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    I wish DMB was a jam band

Very cool article though
    Compared to 99% of the acts kids listen to nowadays, they are. Not sure where else you'd classify them. Jazz-fusion?
    Slackdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2023, 12:34 PM   #7
    Thirtyfouroi

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slackdoodle View Post
    And why do we love this band? - "We only have like 35,000 fans, and they just go to every show,” Matthews told iHeart Radio in 2018

Lol
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2023, 03:37 PM   #8
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Compared to 99% of the acts kids listen to nowadays, they are. Not sure where else you'd classify them. Jazz-fusion?
    Adult Alternative

Calling them a jam band by comparison to other bands that are also not jam bands is silly.

They have, largely in the past, had elements of jazz fusion. That’s mostly behind them. They’re not that band these days.

Last edited by BTBaboon; 09-13-2023 at 03:39 PM.
    Old 09-13-2023, 03:45 PM   #9
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Adult Alternative

Calling them a jam band by comparison to other bands that are also not jam bands is silly.

They have, largely in the past, had elements of jazz fusion. That’s mostly behind them. They’re not that band these days.
    Ya, they've never been a pure "jam" band even when they did have longer musical portions to their songs. Most songs pre 2000 didn't even breach like 10 to 11 minutes. When I first started listening to the band, I thought a song at 10 minutes was really long!

But in all reality in present day DMB #41, Jimi Thing, Two Step, Seek Up, are really the only songs you'll find them improving/jamming on all that much anymore. Occasionally there are others, but elongating outros and intros isn't really jamming in comparison to what other "jam" bands do.
    Mountains#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #10
    Thirtyfouroi

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mountains#41 View Post
    Ya, they've never been a pure "jam" band even when they did have longer musical portions to their songs. Most songs pre 2000 didn't even breach like 10 to 11 minutes. When I first started listening to the band, I thought a song at 10 minutes was really long!

But in all reality in present day DMB #41, Jimi Thing, Two Step, Seek Up, are really the only songs you'll find them improving/jamming on all that much anymore. Occasionally there are others, but elongating outros and intros isn't really jamming in comparison to what other "jam" bands do.
    I just went to Apple Music and picked one of the first live trax that appeared, happened to be live trax 35. And incredible show btw. 6 of 19 songs were between 10 and 22 minutes long. Only one of those you had listed above, two step. I guess it depends on what you define jamming as. Or if that wording is even important. To me, the band is continually experimenting, changing, evolving. That's why live trax series is a thing. They may not change a lot from one show to the next. But there are many clear examples of experimentation and change going on with the songs this band plays from summer to summer.
    Thirtyfouroi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2023, 08:09 PM   #11
    JboDaveGuyYNK

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thirtyfouroi View Post
    I just went to Apple Music and picked one of the first live trax that appeared, happened to be live trax 35. And incredible show btw. 6 of 19 songs were between 10 and 22 minutes long. Only one of those you had listed above, two step. I guess it depends on what you define jamming as. Or if that wording is even important. To me, the band is continually experimenting, changing, evolving. That's why live trax series is a thing. They may not change a lot from one show to the next. But there are many clear examples of experimentation and change going on with the songs this band plays from summer to summer.
    JboDaveGuyYNK is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #12
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, definitely a mix of jam band and fusion. I don't understand the people that say they are not a jam band. Yes, they are completely different than WP and Phish and all that. Personally, I don't care to listen to a band that noodles for 30 minutely without much direction. No offense to those that do, but I'm not in that camp.
    Old 09-20-2023, 12:22 PM   #13
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Adult Alternative

I'm not sure if we are listening to the same band. Seek Up and Loving Wings are two great examples but there are so many more.
    Old 09-20-2023, 12:50 PM   #14
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 View Post
    Yes, definitely a mix of jam band and fusion. I don't understand the people that say they are not a jam band. Yes, they are completely different than WP and Phish and all that. Personally, I don't care to listen to a band that noodles for 30 minutely without much direction. No offense to those that do, but I'm not in that camp.
    I'd say your explanation of the difference is exactly why I gravitated towards DMB and not the typical "jam" bands. They don't go on melt your face 20 minute solos or "explore the space" in front of 20,000 people,

BUT they do/did enough on their songs that was different that has held my interest for 25 years when I've heard 300+ different versions of two step, #41, Seek Up etc.. that are wildly entertaining and interesting to me still.

Do they change up every note or part every night? No. But even Grateful Dead didn't do that. I mean over time things evolved. #41 in 2023 is not the same #41 it was in 1996 or 2000 or 2007..
    Old 09-20-2023, 12:56 PM   #15
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd say your explanation of the difference is exactly why I gravitated towards DMB and not the typical "jam" bands. They don't go on melt your face 20 minute solos or "explore the space" in front of 20,000 people,

BUT they do/did enough on their songs that was different that has held my interest for 25 years when I've heard 300+ different versions of two step, #41, Seek Up etc.. that are wildly entertaining and interesting to me still.

Do they change up every note or part every night? No. But even Grateful Dead didn't do that. I mean over time things evolved. #41 in 2023 is not the same #41 it was in 1996 or 2000 or 2007..
    No doubt my man. I completely agree. I didn't always feel this way as I've seen tons of Phish, WP, String Cheese, Moe all of that. But whatever DMB has had the staying power for me and it's one of the few bands that I can listen to regularly and not get bored of it.

Yeah they don't change things up always but in my opinion they do enough changes to keep me happy. Especially in 2023. Lol.
    Old 09-20-2023, 01:07 PM   #16
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No doubt my man. I completely agree. I didn't always feel this way as I've seen tons of Phish, WP, String Cheese, Moe all of that. But whatever DMB has had the staying power for me and it's one of the few bands that I can listen to regularly and not get bored of it.

Yeah they don't change things up always but in my opinion they do enough changes to keep me happy. Especially in 2023. Lol.
    Yes! I became a Grateful Dead fan wayyyy after being a DMB fan. Before that I wasn't into "jamming" much. But always liked classic rock like Hendrix/Zepplin who albeit jammed on stage too.

I just like jams that go somewhere.. DMB always had an intentional jam that would lead to this amazing outro or bring you back to the meat of the song in an unpredictable way. They also offered more variety and options in what they can do instrumentally, as opposed to always resorting to guitar or keys.
    Old 09-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #17
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes! I became a Grateful Dead fan wayyyy after being a DMB fan. Before that I wasn't into "jamming" much. But always liked classic rock like Hendrix/Zepplin who albeit jammed on stage too.

I just like jams that go somewhere.. DMB always had an intentional jam that would lead to this amazing outro or bring you back to the meat of the song in an unpredictable way. They also offered more variety and options in what they can do instrumentally, as opposed to always resorting to guitar or keys.

This is a big one for me and not just specific to DMB, love how much versatility Tedeschi Trucks has
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2023, 02:19 PM   #18
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm not sure if we are listening to the same band. Seek Up and Loving Wings are two great examples but there are so many more.
    Seek Up was played 3 times this year, Loving Wings hasn't been played at a show since pre-pandemic. I'm also not sure Loving Wings is "Jazz fusion"...

Old 09-20-2023, 02:34 PM   #19
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seek Up was played 3 times this year, Loving Wings hasn't been played at a show since pre-pandemic. I'm also not sure Loving Wings is "Jazz fusion"...
    Not entirely sure how to define "jazz fusion". Think it's pretty vague, but ya, I don't know how to describe the type of song or genre that is Loving Wings either.

Seek Up is becoming more and more a rarity. It seemed over played for a while, so hopefully they find some balance with it. I don't want it at 50% of the shows, but I also want it at more than 3. Call me picky.
    Old 09-20-2023, 03:11 PM   #20
    Mountains#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    This is a big one for me and not just specific to DMB, love how much versatility Tedeschi Trucks has
    I really need to see them... Might make that a priority show for next year.
    Old 09-20-2023, 05:41 PM   #21
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No problem. I respect your opinion.

To me it’s far more than those two examples. It’s Fonz and Carter’s story that I’m infatuated with. At some times, some will be completely bored with DMB. For me that’s typically not the problem due to my love of this bands rhythm section. And I do love the other instrumentation as well. That’s absolutely icing on the cake.

This is probably rooted in my 30 years as a drummer. Carter always blew me away but Fonz is so deeply rooted in that part of the band that I often just become mesmerized by Carter and Fonz.

That’s the reason for their lasting power with me.
    Old 09-20-2023, 05:44 PM   #22
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So yeah I think you completely misunderstood the spirit of my post.

I absolutely do love some Dead as well. As I’d say the Dead is easily in my top 4 along with Tool and Slayer (and DMB).

See any common traits among these bands 😂😂
    Old 09-21-2023, 04:08 AM   #23
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So yeah I think you completely misunderstood the spirit of my post.
    I mean, I get your posts. I’m just not sure they had anything to do with discussion of whether DMB is doing much jazz fusion these days. Loving Wings is certainly not an example.

Old 09-21-2023, 05:38 AM   #24
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I mean, I get your posts. I’m just not sure they had anything to do with discussion of whether DMB is doing much jazz fusion these days. Loving Wings is certainly not an example.
    All good. It's a helluva jam though