Dave's Favorite Song(s)? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #31
thewitt85

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave's Favorite Song(s)?

He clearly likes to play Jimi, Seven, Cornbread, Eh Hee etc lately..... but I'm sure.... ok.... 75% sure, if asked his favorite songs, maybe only Jimi makes the list.
thewitt85 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I've heard it's Jimi Thing and can't blame him for feeling that way. I mean, every time they have played it for the past few years, the crowd sings for him. How can the guy not get a kick out of that and look forward to playing it because of that.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

forgot to post this with my last comment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VVAapC9qVA
    Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #34
    aicdmb
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Dave has poor taste in his own music
    How funny is this, but absolutely true
    aicdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #35
    imarami

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

So the consensus seems go be that Jimi is his favorite and I would guess the same based on his little speech before he plays it each night "I just love this song, sorry if y'all don't but I just LOVE playing it!"

Now let's speculate as to why...

I think it's because as someone mentioned above, it reminds him of "home" aka Cville and the early trax days with the band. Plus it's one of the more up tempo and well known tunes (to the casual fan) from those days. Plus the jam has always been fantastic and we can all see how much Dave likes stepping away from the mic and letting the band do their thing. I just wonder why Nancies or Billies don't have the same affect on him
    imarami is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #36
    bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

He also keeps introducing Mercy with "my mom likes this song." Clearly he likes that she likes it.

Jimi is his favorite though.
    Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #37
    SuekieMonster5

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

No one has mentioned the Song that Jane Likes or Sister yet. Both of these songs would seem to have deep personal meaning for Dave. I agree with Jimi, I'll Back you Up, and #41.
    Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #38
    mannotcaring

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imarami View Post

I think it's because as someone mentioned above, it reminds him of "home" aka Cville and the early trax days with the band. Plus it's one of the more up tempo and well known tunes (to the casual fan) from those days. Plus the jam has always been fantastic and we can all see how much Dave likes stepping away from the mic and letting the band do their thing. I just wonder why Nancies or Billies don't have the same affect on him
    you forgot that itīs about smoking pot
    Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #39
    imarami

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mannotcaring View Post
    you forgot that it´s about smoking pot
    Hah, yeah and that. I wonder how much Dave still smokes...
    Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #40
    salrx95

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I think he highly regards Crash Into Me as well. I remember at Boone on 3/29/03, he said something to the effect.

"I still like it, cause I always liked it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have penned it. And if you don't like it, you can rest"

First show with my now wife, she was a semi-newbie at this point and Crash was her favorite song and her reaction was a memory I'll always treasure. We were 8th row. That's why I remember the line so well, I think.
    salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #41
    MColin28

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I think everyone is getting away from the idea of the thread the OP proposed. It's not "what's Dave's favorite song(s) to PLAY"...rather, it's "what's Dave's song that is closest to him in regards to lyrics". Which leads us back to things he's penned because of how close they are to his heart.
    Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #42
    jeremy.crouse

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hah, yeah and that. I wonder how much Dave still smokes...
    That is something I wonder about as well.
    Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #43
    imarami

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post
    I think everyone is getting away from the idea of the thread the OP proposed. It's not "what's Dave's favorite song(s) to PLAY"...rather, it's "what's Dave's song that is closest to him in regards to lyrics". Which leads us back to things he's penned because of how close they are to his heart.
    Well in that case, I think Why I Am would be up there for obvious reasons
    Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #44
    bigbeartilidie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    OP used an "or" so why not discuss both? His favorite song is something we actually have a concrete answer to. I have no idea what song is the most meaningful to him, lyrically. I'm sure it changes (I assume his more recent songs are more meaningful lyrically to him than his older material, which may have been very meaningful at that time). This tour, he seemed to be into telling stories about the inspiration behind Drunken Soldier (IZOD N2) and how it meant a lot to him that his kids really liked that song (Brooklyn). Maybe that is the current front runner. I have no idea.
    Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #45
    MColin28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well in that case, I think Why I Am would be up there for obvious reasons
    Great point! Forgot about that one....
    Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #46
    jasonfilatov

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I always thought he referred to Why I Am as one of Roi's favorite songs. I think if Dave loved it that much it would get the same amount of play as Shake Me or Seven, especially because it's a short one.
    Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #47
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

My Tour Central Stats

I think Space Between is one of his favorites. Up til this past summer, I don't think he played it because he's aware of Everyday not being a very popular album amongst the fanbase. And the 2 times he brought it back in 2008 was to pin dropping silence.

And to be honest, i think some of his personal all time favorite stuff is from Everyday.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #48
    imarami

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfilatov View Post
    I always thought he referred to Why I Am as one of Roi's favorite songs. I think if Dave loved it that much it would get the same amount of play as Shake Me or Seven, especially because it's a short one.
    I think we're differentiating between songs Dave enjoys playing live, and songs that have a personal meaning to him due to lyrics. Why I Am was my suggestion for the latter, I think it would be hard to deny that topic doesn't still resonate quite painfully for Dave
    Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #49
    acousticmike80

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

One could also look at Dave's setlists for his solo shows (over the years).

Songs like: Bartender, So Damn Lucky, Stay Or Leave, Crush etc...have been staples.

While some of this has to do with how well a song translates solo (as opposed to in a full band setting), it also represents songs that Dave either really likes or feels comfortable with.

Jimi Thing, Seven, Crush, Drunken Soldier, Bartender, Sister etc...are all songs I think he really enjoys. In addition to some of the older classics (Crash, Satellite etc...).

I also think the Everyday album (while unpopular to most in this community) does hold a place for him. It was coming off a point where the band felt down, stuck and somewhat uninspired. He had just gotten married, was starting a new track in his life....and probably felt somewhat "free" in that writing process.

Who knows?
    acousticmike80 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #50
    bigbeartilidie

My Tour Central Stats

Throw Let You Down into the category of songs with deep meaning to Dave. Didn't somebody talk to him in Florida last summer about why they weren't playing it despite acknowledging signs. If I'm not mistaken, that Ant was told that the song was too personal to him and that he would probably never play it again (and that it never should have been on the album to begin with).
    Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #51
    dave4520
    Stl Cardinals

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    Throw Let You Down into the category of songs with deep meaning to Dave. Didn't somebody talk to him in Florida last summer about why they weren't playing it despite acknowledging signs. If I'm not mistaken, that Ant was told that the song was too personal to him and that he would probably never play it again (and that it never should have been on the album to begin with).
    He's a fag then...

The song that means the most to him is OBVIOUSLY angel..."I call you up, you pick up"...how do you NOT get emotional after hearing that kind of line?!?!
    dave4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Dave likes Jimi Thing.
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #53
    MColin28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Never heard this! Wonder how true it is? Halloween is played a lot and that's about his first love not accepting his proposal
    Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #54
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    OP used an "or" so why not discuss both? His favorite song is something we actually have a concrete answer to. I have no idea what song is the most meaningful to him, lyrically. I'm sure it changes (I assume his more recent songs are more meaningful lyrically to him than his older material, which may have been very meaningful at that time). This tour, he seemed to be into telling stories about the inspiration behind Drunken Soldier (IZOD N2) and how it meant a lot to him that his kids really liked that song (Brooklyn). Maybe that is the current front runner. I have no idea.
    At first I was hoping for a discussion only about the songs that have strong emotional value to Dave but I guess I did name the thread "Dave's Favorite Songs" haha. I worded it wrong. But this is a cool topic too.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #55
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thank you for understanding the original intent of this thread. Haha
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #56
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)

Shows Seen: 80

My Tour Central Stats

Jimi Thing without a doubt. If we stay on the subject of Dave's favorite songs to perform live, we can build a nice list just from tour history and what he chooses to play in D+T and solo settings.

Two Step, Ants Marching, Time Bomb, Seven, Cornbread, Eh Hee, Proudest Monkey, Gravedigger, Stay or Leave, Don't Drink the Water, So Damn Lucky, Crush, Grey Street, #41, and many more. I don't think Dave necessarily has a 'Personal Top 10' list or anything comparable to that. I think he just always comes back to certain songs because he enjoys playing them so much.

Also, when Dave is writing a set list, it is very easy for us to label him as lazy. Many of the sets are very similar with little or no changes. Each show seems to have at least 2 or 3 unique songs to them, but other than that we can expect to hear Cornbread, Spaceman, Eh Hee, etc... DMB became a different band in 2008. Rashawn became an intricate member of the band and I think his word has a big influence on the band. He rearranges things and has a good ear when it comes to changing things up. With the addition of Jeff, it was obviously going to take some time for him to catch up with the DMB catalogue and as soon as Big Whiskey was released, the set's were the same night in and night out. Tim can comform to any new song and is much more familiar with the band than Jeff and Rashanw at this point (2008/2009). It was a new beginning for DMB. Jeff, Tim and Rashawn were all involved in the process of BW and not many of those songs have found the shelf yet and continue to be played live. I think a lot of the variety and room for switching up sets went away with Roi. Roi knew the songs and it was probably much easier for Dave to say "Hey, we havent played this in a while, lets play this" because Roi knew the songs. I think we will continue to see BW songs pop up 4 or 5 times a night and with AFTW now released, 10 songs will probably come from BW and AFTW alone. If and when the band releases a new album, anything from the Big 3 will be a treat.

As for the songs with the most meaning to him personally, I think: Shotgun, Bartender, #41, I'll Back you up, Halloween (at one point), Cry Freedom, Rhyme and Reason, Proudest Monkey, Sister, and Grace Is Gone probably all have a significant personal meaning to him.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.
    Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #57
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)

Shows Seen: 80

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acousticmike80 View Post
    One could also look at Dave's setlists for his solo shows (over the years).

Songs like: Bartender, So Damn Lucky, Stay Or Leave, Crush etc...have been staples.

While some of this has to do with how well a song translates solo (as opposed to in a full band setting), it also represents songs that Dave either really likes or feels comfortable with.

Jimi Thing, Seven, Crush, Drunken Soldier, Bartender, Sister etc...are all songs I think he really enjoys. In addition to some of the older classics (Crash, Satellite etc...).

I also think the Everyday album (while unpopular to most in this community) does hold a place for him. It was coming off a point where the band felt down, stuck and somewhat uninspired. He had just gotten married, was starting a new track in his life....and probably felt somewhat "free" in that writing process.

Who knows?
    Didnt even see your post and immediately thought of this when I read the OP. I think these are the songs he loves the most.
    Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #58
    MColin28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Thank you for understanding the original intent of this thread. Haha

Thought so
    Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #59
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Dave Matthews has the worst taste in DMB music.
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #60
    MColin28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    Dave Matthews has the worst taste in DMB music.

Sad.....true.