In need of some golf tips... - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 AM   #91
Ayrton Senna
The fastest guy ever

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: In need of some golf tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
Anyone have any idea why I hit my irons straight 8 out of 10 times but still cannot seem to hit my driver straight? I have a wicked slice off the tee with my driver, but usually, more often then not, hit my irons perfectly straight.
there are several possible reasons for it. if you are a right hand player:

1- close a bit more your left hand on the grip. you must see at least two knuckles.

2- you are also probably rotating your shoulders too less on the backswing

3- in the moment of impact in the ball, your left shoulder should be behind the ball

4- you are breaking your wrist in the top of the back swing

why don't you book a lesson with your local pro? he must be able to find what you're doing wrong...

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #92
    RJP2741

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JTRocks View Post
    i love to get out and play as much as i can, but what really sucks about living in chicago or anywhere with seasonal weather is by the time august/september rolls around and my game starts to get more consistent, I pretty much have to put the clubs away for november-march. and then when spring hits its like i have to start all over again
    That's exactly how I am. Every year I start out terrible and by the end of the summer I'm a little better than the year before and then it's time to put the clubs away. Very frustrating.
    RJP2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #93
    milo420dmb

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

^^ we have indoor simulation courses around here that allows me to keep 'golfing' all year round. Obv. it's not true golfing but it allows to me swing the club a few times on a month
    Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #94
    jiggajm18
    Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    This is not good advice IMO.... This will just lead to hitting a nasty hook, which is no better than hitting a slice.

The best way to fix a slice is to avoid coming over top of the ball. This basically means the club is hitting the ball from a right to left angle. Basically, when you get to the top, you're lunging at the ball with your shoulders instead of shifting your weight with your legs.

Take a club and get to the top of the swing. Now, instead of trying to get all of your power on it with your upper body, shift your weight from the right side onto the left side (if you're a righty) and watch how the club naturally drops down to where it makes impact with the ball coming from the inside instead of over it. This is the cause of the slice, and just trying to hook it with your hands is not a good way to improve.
    you must do this by TURNING your hips and shoulders. just shifting your weight will lead you to slide, and you'll never be that accurate.

and i strongly disagree with you. if all you hit is a slice, try to hit a massive hook. you'll be able to feel what you're doing wrong. then work on refining it from there.
    jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #95
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Nice to see this topic bumped up again.

I'm glad it's almost golf season here in Wisconsin again, probably only another month or so. I actually had made huge improvements with my slice by the time the end of last season rolled around. I was hitting most of my drives pure and straight. I just worked by myself at a driving range once a week or so and finally figured out what I think was my issue, which was that my front shoulder was really opened up. I don't know if that's what it was, but by closing it and squaring it more, I haven't had a slice problem much.

I'm still working on throwing together a decent set of clubs though. Just picked up the Odyssey White Hot XG #9 the other day after putting around with it a bit. Absolutely love it. Now I need to move onto Driver and Irons. I'm thinking a decently prized set of Nike Irons (the Sumos probably) or I'm looking at Cobra's.
    Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #96
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Nice to see this topic bumped up again.

I'm glad it's almost golf season here in Wisconsin again, probably only another month or so. I actually had made huge improvements with my slice by the time the end of last season rolled around. I was hitting most of my drives pure and straight. I just worked by myself at a driving range once a week or so and finally figured out what I think was my issue, which was that my front shoulder was really opened up. I don't know if that's what it was, but by closing it and squaring it more, I haven't had a slice problem much.

I'm still working on throwing together a decent set of clubs though. Just picked up the Odyssey White Hot XG #9 the other day after putting around with it a bit. Absolutely love it. Now I need to move onto Driver and Irons. I'm thinking a decently prized set of Nike Irons (the Sumos probably) or I'm looking at Cobra's.
    Ever since I started to use Cobra irons a year or two ago I have fallen in love with them. As tempted as I've been to switch to taylor made, I hit the cobras so solid and I highly recommend them.

i too am very excited for the golf season to get going, I need to hit up the range tho, I haven't played in a long time due to alot of different stuff. Hopefully I won't be too far off from where I left off last year.
    gonz085 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #97
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

spent the weekend just hitting 8-irons. i was pretty impressed that i was able to get the ball airborn after not touching a club for almost 4 months.

can't wait to start playing again, hoping i can get myself back down to a 3.

and i can't wait for the Masters. i always get the golf-bug once that week comes.
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #98
    milo420dmb

My Tour Central Stats

^^ I have Cobra irons as well... I really like them and recommend them as well
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #99
    milo420dmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    spent the weekend just hitting 8-irons. i was pretty impressed that i was able to get the ball airborn after not touching a club for almost 4 months.

can't wait to start playing again, hoping i can get myself back down to a 3.

and i can't wait for the Masters. i always get the golf-bug once that week comes.
    i did the same thing but with my 5 iron...
    my 5 iron is easily my most reliable club.. i could play a whole round with just a 5 iron and putter. Sometimes when I am not hitting my driver well, i'll just hit 5 irons off the tee..
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #100
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

whenever i'm coming off a long layoff, like now, i just hit 8-irons.

it's the lowest club in the back that i can actually work the ball with, and it's much easier to hit than a 4-iron - so at the range, i don't make myself look to bad after some time off.
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #101
    milo420dmb

My Tour Central Stats

it took me pretty much my whole life to be able to hit a 3 and 4 iron... just until recently, with in the last 3 years, have I been able to actually use those irons while on the course.
    For a long time I wouldn't even carry them in my bag.
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #102
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

they are some tough clubs to hit, no doubt about that. and only recently did i start carrying a 5-wood instead of a 2-iron.

i use blades, so in the winter i won't even use a 3 or 4-iron when i'm on the course.
    Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #103
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by milo420dmb View Post
    my 5 iron is easily my most reliable club.. i could play a whole round with just a 5 iron and putter.

same here. i hit my 5 iron farther than my 4 iron, and more consistently too, so i never bother with the 4. i do want to work on the 4 though, just to add another club to my arsenal.

my golf season starts at the end of this month - i'll be in the myrtle beach area for a week with the fam, and i have been told to bring my golf game
    Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #104
    RJP2741

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. testaverde View Post
    same here. i hit my 5 iron farther than my 4 iron, and more consistently too, so i never bother with the 4. i do want to work on the 4 though, just to add another club to my arsenal.

my golf season starts at the end of this month - i'll be in the myrtle beach area for a week with the fam, and i have been told to bring my golf game
    I might be going down there at the end of April with my dad. I love that place.
    Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #105
    milo420dmb

My Tour Central Stats

^^ my father in law is in Myrtle beach right now golfing.. lucky fucker.

i am heading down to Maryland in april to get some golfing in for a weekend... some courses may be open here by then but most are still to wet and a lot of times you can't hit onto the green.
    Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #106
    RJP2741

My Tour Central Stats

My grandparents have a little beach house down there, so we go stay with them when we go. They love it, they're big golf fanatics.
    Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #107
    LaDude
    Obey The Ping Man!

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Heading to Kiawah next week!!! Can't wait to play the Ocean Course!
    LaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #108
    hbktonyb
    6 time SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I just picked up a new driver and set of irons, i'm dying to get on the course. My best irons are the 8 and 5 as well, mostly b/c i tend to hit those the most in one round.

GORGE 08
    hbktonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #109
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    you must do this by TURNING your hips and shoulders. just shifting your weight will lead you to slide, and you'll never be that accurate.

and i strongly disagree with you. if all you hit is a slice, try to hit a massive hook. you'll be able to feel what you're doing wrong. then work on refining it from there.
    Watch any pro. The downswing BEGINS with a weight shift (I never said slide) in the legs that drops everything down in the correct position. Of course your hips will turn as you keep going down but your shoulders should NOT turn open until after you have hit the ball. Keeping your back turned towards the target as long as possible on the downswing will ensure a proper swing plane on the way down.

Why not just try and work on getting the correct swing plane instead of trying to fix one problem with another problem??
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #110
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why not just try and work on getting the correct swing plane instead of trying to fix one problem with another problem??
    because you wouldn't be trying to fix one problem with another problem.

you'd be getting a better understanding and a better feel for what you're doing wrong.

not to mention the fact that, unless you can afford to sacrifice a few yards, a draw off of the tee is much better than a fade.
    Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #111
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Watch any pro. The downswing BEGINS with a weight shift (I never said slide) in the legs that drops everything down in the correct position. Of course your hips will turn as you keep going down but your shoulders should NOT turn open until after you have hit the ball. Keeping your back turned towards the target as long as possible on the downswing will ensure a proper swing plane on the way down.
    and i agree with all of this

but uneducated players would not understand what type of shift you're talking about unless it's thoroughly explained (like you did here)
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #112
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RJP2741 View Post
    I love that place.
    same here. my parents own a beach house on the NC coast, maybe 30 miles from myrtle beach, so its pretty convenient. i wish i took advantage of it more often, its been a few years since i've been there
    Old 03-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #113
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Played golf for the first time today. It was supposed to stay in the upper 30s and be cold as fuck but it stayed around 50 while we were out there and it was absolutely beautiful. For being the first time I had played since October I was really impressed. Shot 85 today. Drove the ball really well and also had some great shots around the green. My irons really let me down tho, which is typical for me after a long lay off. I felt so tentative to hit them, it was weird. I'd be in the fairway with anywhere from 120-160 away from the green and either draw or fade the ball too much, really put alot of pressure on my short game. regardless for my first time out i was happy with that. sucks that I prolly won't get to play for another month tho. damn going to college in philly...
    Old 03-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #114
    hbktonyb
    6 time SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I wish I could sniff an 85

GORGE 08
    hbktonyb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #115
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    because you wouldn't be trying to fix one problem with another problem.

you'd be getting a better understanding and a better feel for what you're doing wrong.

not to mention the fact that, unless you can afford to sacrifice a few yards, a draw off of the tee is much better than a fade.
    Yeah, but a draw is also much harder to hit consistently and is harder to control IMO... I think a fade is a good shot for a mid/high handicapper... Also, there are a lot of pros who prefer to cut the ball. You can still hit it a far if you do it correctly.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #116
    jiggajm18
    Joe

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, but a draw is also much harder to hit consistently and is harder to control IMO... I think a fade is a good shot for a mid/high handicapper... Also, there are a lot of pros who prefer to cut the ball. You can still hit it a far if you do it correctly.
    but the pros can afford to hit a cut off the tee, they can afford to lose 10-15 yards for control.

i'd recommend higher handicap players to at least try to hit a draw. they should never attempt to hit the power fade. there's an entire generation of slicers out there because they all tried to copy jack's power fade
    Old 03-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #117
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    but the pros can afford to hit a cut off the tee, they can afford to lose 10-15 yards for control.

i'd recommend higher handicap players to at least try to hit a draw. they should never attempt to hit the power fade. there's an entire generation of slicers out there because they all tried to copy jack's power fade
    could not have put that better myself
    Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #118
    LieInOur41Grave
    Reagan was right.

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

keep the club face closed.
    Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #119
    haybale97
    king of men

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

the slower you go with your driver, the easier it is to hit it striaght imo. my driver swing and my iron swing are completely different. just keep playing, you'll eventually get it right

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #120
    RJP2741

My Tour Central Stats

Bump for golf season. Playing my first round of 18 today, should be interesting. I might bring the insurance 12 pack in case things go bad early.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoldemHart View Post
    Once again RJ brings the knowledge.