The Home Theater Thread - Page 25 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #721
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Home Theater Thread

Thank you!

Love the Odyssey so far, hope we can do some great family road trips around Canada/US in the coming years. If I won some money, I'd for sure upgrade to the 2019 but I'm happy the wife let me spend a little extra than we wanted to on a Touring trim.

So many great reliability stories like yours, plus buying cerrtified from a Honda dealer bumped the powertrain warranty to 7-years/100,000 miles which is really aces, if we still have it in 2022 I'll trade up just before that runs out, haha.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #722
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

finally bought and scheduled install for all items at my new house.

65" lg b7a oled for main room

yamaha yas-207 soundbar for main room

sony uxp-700 blu-ray/uhd player for main room

55" lg b7a oled for basement

(no sound bought/installed in basement right now, will revisit whole-room solutions later on)

49" sony xbr-900e for master bedroom

installing an articulating mount above my bar. don't have a TV in mind for that yet but want a mount installed since they're coming out anyway. I have a 32" panny piece of junk that could go there for now.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #723
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Sweet TVs!
    \m/ \m/
    Old 06-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #724
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

thanks. plan is to wait for 77" to get to $3-4K, put that in main room, bump 65" to basement, 55" to master BR, and 49" sony to above bar
    Old 06-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #725
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

doby you previously linked to acceptable HDMI cables for OLED/4k/UHD players, can you provide that again? or just the name of the product?

Thanks!
    Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #726
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    doby you previously linked to acceptable HDMI cables for OLED/4k/UHD players, can you provide that again? or just the name of the product?

Thanks!
    To be sure of performance, any cables that have the HDMI Premium logo on them will do the trick. It's the orange logo you can see in the product pic here - https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters.../dp/B005BZG8G4
    Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #727
    YouNeverKnow25

My Tour Central Stats

awesome, thanks much
    Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #728
    handsareme

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I'm looking at doing some moving around of my components. The TV is mounted on the wall. Currently, I have a particle board TV stand that holds the amplifier, game systems, and speakers. The landing to our basement is on the opposite side of the TV wall, and I'm planning to build a box that will hang from the ceiling under that landing. The box will house the amplifier and a computer (more on cpu later).

I purchased an IR extender cable to plug into the back of my H/K AVR 2600, but it turns out it was only compatible for cable STBs. I'd prefer to have a simple IR extender that plugs into the back of the amplifier and not one of those repeater systems. What's my best bet on finding a compatible extender?

On to the computer. I'd like to build my own media server computer that would share space with the amplifier. The box I'm going to build will have two computer fans, in and out, for ventilation. I know nothing about building computers and don't know what parts I'd need. I have a Samsung 65" MU8000 from BestBuy. The TV would be the monitor. We would watch movies and TV shows on it. What minimum specs, parts, would be a good fit?
    Old 06-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #729
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by handsareme View Post
    I'm looking at doing some moving around of my components. The TV is mounted on the wall. Currently, I have a particle board TV stand that holds the amplifier, game systems, and speakers. The landing to our basement is on the opposite side of the TV wall, and I'm planning to build a box that will hang from the ceiling under that landing. The box will house the amplifier and a computer (more on cpu later).

I purchased an IR extender cable to plug into the back of my H/K AVR 2600, but it turns out it was only compatible for cable STBs. I'd prefer to have a simple IR extender that plugs into the back of the amplifier and not one of those repeater systems. What's my best bet on finding a compatible extender?

On to the computer. I'd like to build my own media server computer that would share space with the amplifier. The box I'm going to build will have two computer fans, in and out, for ventilation. I know nothing about building computers and don't know what parts I'd need. I have a Samsung 65" MU8000 from BestBuy. The TV would be the monitor. We would watch movies and TV shows on it. What minimum specs, parts, would be a good fit?
    Regarding the IR extender, these links might be helpful:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...mendation.html

https://www.avsforum.com/ask-editors...te-ir-control/

Regarding the PC, are you using it just to watch media? No gaming or using it as a video processor (using it to improve the quality of media)? If so, I would seriously consider building a NUC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...firefox-b-1-ab

I built one a couple years ago. Completely solid-state, no fans, completely silent, and it fits in the palm of your hand. It works awesome for a simple HTPC. For media storage, it just needs a small OS hard drive (SSD recommended) and then you can plug in any size external hard drive you want to the USB port or you can use network attached storage devices too.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #730
    handsareme

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
    Regarding the IR extender, these links might be helpful:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...mendation.html

https://www.avsforum.com/ask-editors...te-ir-control/

Regarding the PC, are you using it just to watch media? No gaming or using it as a video processor (using it to improve the quality of media)? If so, I would seriously consider building a NUC.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...firefox-b-1-ab

I built one a couple years ago. Completely solid-state, no fans, completely silent, and it fits in the palm of your hand. It works awesome for a simple HTPC. For media storage, it just needs a small OS hard drive (SSD recommended) and then you can plug in any size external hard drive you want to the USB port or you can use network attached storage devices too.
    Thanks for the response!

It would mainly be for watching movies. If it would be easy to run SEGA and Nintendo ROMs on it, I'd probably do that, too.

Ideally, output would be 4k (even if it's currently hard to get 4k content) and 7.1 surround.
    Old 06-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #731
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks for the response!

It would mainly be for watching movies. If it would be easy to run SEGA and Nintendo ROMs on it, I'd probably do that, too.

Ideally, output would be 4k (even if it's currently hard to get 4k content) and 7.1 surround.
    I think it could stream or passthrough 4K. I mean an Amazon Fire TV box can stream 4K and a NUC would be way more powerful. It doesn't require a lot of power to do that. For the audio, it's just transferring it to your AVR and the AVR will process the audio. It could definitely run old game roms.
    Old 06-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #732
    handsareme

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think it could stream or passthrough 4K. I mean an Amazon Fire TV box can stream 4K and a NUC would be way more powerful. It doesn't require a lot of power to do that. For the audio, it's just transferring it to your AVR and the AVR will process the audio. It could definitely run old game roms.
    The AVR's HDMI is version 1.3a. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions I don't think it can put 4k through. I can send an HDMI signal to the TV, and the TV is already sending an audio signal over TOSLINK to the AVR (and I got a longer TOSLINK cable to make the run TV -> AVR). We do OTA tv and that won't be changing.

I am planning to build a box/shelf to mount under the tv that will be storage for games and blu-rays. Gaming systems (PS3 and PS2, old school) will sit on the shelf. Those NUCs look small enough to fit, too. Hadn't heard about them before, now I need to do some research!

I meant to say in the OP that this project is to get stuff and cables off the floor under the TV, and wife will be happy with things on the wall.
    Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #733
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The AVR's HDMI is version 1.3a. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions I don't think it can put 4k through. I can send an HDMI signal to the TV, and the TV is already sending an audio signal over TOSLINK to the AVR (and I got a longer TOSLINK cable to make the run TV -> AVR). We do OTA tv and that won't be changing.

I am planning to build a box/shelf to mount under the tv that will be storage for games and blu-rays. Gaming systems (PS3 and PS2, old school) will sit on the shelf. Those NUCs look small enough to fit, too. Hadn't heard about them before, now I need to do some research!

I meant to say in the OP that this project is to get stuff and cables off the floor under the TV, and wife will be happy with things on the wall.
    That would work except that TOSLINK can only send lossy 5.1. It can't do 7.1 and it can't do lossless. So just so you know that.
    Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #734
    handsareme

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That would work except that TOSLINK can only send lossy 5.1. It can't do 7.1 and it can't do lossless. So just so you know that.
    Well then. Good to know. Right now, I've only got 5.1 hooked up. I suppose that will all get fixed when I can cajole an upgraded amplifier into the budget.

With the NUC, depending on the machine I get, I only need to add Windows, RAM, a HD, and bluetooth peripherals. Pretty cool.
    Old 06-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #735
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know how I can run 1 set of speakers to 2 receivers? I have a newer sony receiver that's great for everything EXCEPT the turntable (even with a pre-amp, it still isn't great). So, I have an older Kenwood that I use for the turntable... I'd like to combine them if possible. Any ideas?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #736
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    Anyone know how I can run 1 set of speakers to 2 receivers? I have a newer sony receiver that's great for everything EXCEPT the turntable (even with a pre-amp, it still isn't great). So, I have an older Kenwood that I use for the turntable... I'd like to combine them if possible. Any ideas?
    I wonder if there is some kind of A/B switch you can get. One set of wires going from the speakers to the switch, then one set going from "A" to the Sony and one set going to "B" to the Kenwood. Then you just set the switch to whichever one you're using at the time. I'm not sure if something like that is available for speakers, but I would think there would be. Maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selec.../dp/B0043JBLC0

Last edited by Benny003; 06-26-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Old 06-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #737
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I got a 77" LG C8 OLED last weekend and it's all hooked up. I've been watching movies on it the last few nights. My movie/music room is now "complete" with full Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos capability. It's quite glorious. This is my first OLED. Moved on from my Panasonic 65" VT50 plasma (moved to the bedroom). I bought Planet Earth 2 on 4K blu-ray last year and now I can finally watch it. The image quality is simply amazing. It's like looking through a window. I'm arranging to have one of the professional calibrators that are on the AVS Forum a lot to come calibrate it in a couple weeks. Time to enjoy my small library of 4K blu-rays finally.

https://imgur.com/3pAh5vT

Last edited by Benny003; 06-26-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Old 06-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #738
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Super. Jealous.

Looks fantastic, well done.
    Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #739
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wonder if there is some kind of A/B switch you can get. One set of wires going from the speakers to the switch, then one set going from "A" to the Sony and one set going to "B" to the Kenwood. Then you just set the switch to whichever one you're using at the time. I'm not sure if something like that is available for speakers, but I would think there would be. Maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selec.../dp/B0043JBLC0
    Yeah, I was thinking something like this. But I guess they are either super simple (like this one) where you can only run 2 speakers or they are expensive as shit. Might be better off just buying a new receiver with phono input.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #740
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I got a 77" LG C8 OLED last weekend and it's all hooked up. I've been watching movies on it the last few nights. My movie/music room is now "complete" with full Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos capability. It's quite glorious. This is my first OLED. Moved on from my Panasonic 65" VT50 plasma (moved to the bedroom). I bought Planet Earth 2 on 4K blu-ray last year and now I can finally watch it. The image quality is simply amazing. It's like looking through a window. I'm arranging to have one of the professional calibrators that are on the AVS Forum a lot to come calibrate it in a couple weeks. Time to enjoy my small library of 4K blu-rays finally.

https://imgur.com/3pAh5vT
    Looks awesome! Now you just need a taller rack for the turntable

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #741
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Looks awesome! Now you just need a taller rack for the turntable
    Thanks, I have a full height Solidsteel rack sitting in a closet actually that I used before moving into this space, but I wanted a short one for this room so it wouldn't block the acoustic panels (may or may not have had an effect on them). Also, I only needed one shelf below the turntable since the receiver is behind the wall, so this short setup works perfectly. It's compact and out of the way. With my entire digital music library hooked up to my receiver in this room that I can control with my phone, the turntable only gets used once every couple months.
    Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #742
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks, I have a full height Solidsteel rack sitting in a closet actually that I used before moving into this space, but I wanted a short one for this room so it wouldn't block the acoustic panels (may or may not have had an effect on them). Also, I only needed one shelf below the turntable since the receiver is behind the wall, so this short setup works perfectly. It's compact and out of the way. With my entire digital music library hooked up to my receiver in this room that I can control with my phone, the turntable only gets used once every couple months.
    Haha I was just messing around, it all looks beautiful! I cant imagine how serene it must be to have it all set with the full audio/visual treatmemt

Old 06-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #743
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I don't even think I'd be comforatable inside that home theater.

Why aren't kids crying and no one is kickign the back of my chair?!?! This is no theater experience at all!!!
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #744
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Damn that looks sick!

Very jealous of the 77!
    Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #745
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Coming to Benny003's soon!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb6A0JR5BNI
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2018, 04:55 AM   #746
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Benny show some more photos of the entire room to make me even more jealous.

Not gonna lie kinda hope I am in my forever home but if there is one thing I could change/have in a future new home it would be that I would have a dedicated theater room like that!
    Old 06-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #747
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    I don't even think I'd be comforatable inside that home theater.

Why aren't kids crying and no one is kickign the back of my chair?!?! This is no theater experience at all!!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    I don't have kids yet and my wife rarely likes to watch movies down there, so 99% of the time it's just me using it every night playing it as loud as I want. It's my little slice of heaven.
    Old 06-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #748
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCFish View Post
    Benny show some more photos of the entire room to make me even more jealous.

Not gonna lie kinda hope I am in my forever home but if there is one thing I could change/have in a future new home it would be that I would have a dedicated theater room like that!
    Sure, here you go:

https://imgur.com/Tp1RfZm
    https://imgur.com/5SDyrBx

Here is an older photo of the back of the room directly opposite of the TV. It's a lot cleaner now, but you can see the space for the movies and vinyl.
    https://imgur.com/YuLJcps

Here is a photo of the 2 subs before they were put in their final positions. They are Rythmik F25 subs.
    https://imgur.com/0r1wPxF

Here is the equipment rack behind a "hidden" drywall door (the door is visible in the first photo next to the Inglourious Basterds poster.
    https://imgur.com/Ryc1Lec

With all of the equipment out of site, when I turn off the lights there is essentially zero light in the room. You can't see your hand 2 inches in front of your face no matter how long you sit in the room. You literally can't see the difference between having your eyes closed or open. It looks identical. That's my favorite way to listen to music because it heightens your hearing when you're deprived of eyesight. It creates a really immersive music environment. I can control all of the audio from my phone.
    Old 06-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #749
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sure, here you go:

https://imgur.com/Tp1RfZm
    https://imgur.com/5SDyrBx

Here is an older photo of the back of the room directly opposite of the TV. It's a lot cleaner now, but you can see the space for the movies and vinyl.
    https://imgur.com/YuLJcps

Here is a photo of the 2 subs before they were put in their final positions. They are Rythmik F25 subs.
    https://imgur.com/0r1wPxF

Here is the equipment rack behind a "hidden" drywall door (the door is visible in the first photo next to the Inglourious Basterds poster.
    https://imgur.com/Ryc1Lec

With all of the equipment out of site, when I turn off the lights there is essentially zero light in the room. You can't see your hand 2 inches in front of your face no matter how long you sit in the room. You literally can't see the difference between having your eyes closed or open. It looks identical. That's my favorite way to listen to music because it heightens your hearing when you're deprived of eyesight. It creates a really immersive music environment. I can control all of the audio from my phone.
    So many people have never experienced critical listening, there is another dimension to listening that only occurs this way. For surround it's really the only way to go IMO.
    Old 06-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #750
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Benny, I meant to ask this earlier - is this room in a basement or on entry-level/upstairs?

Curious as to how much can be heard from outside of the room.