Ants Podcast 58 - This Warehouse Frightens Me (See I'm Leaving) - Discussion Thread - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Matt

Shows Seen: 78

Ants Podcast 58 - This Warehouse Frightens Me (See I'm Leaving) - Discussion Thread

Valentine's Day 2016 brought a lot of love this year in terms of Warehouse ticket confirmations; or did it? As always, it's a contentious topic and this year especially so, with the tour-less 2017 looming just over the horizon. We've got the stats to break down on just how likely you were to score some seats through the lottery, and you may be surprised to see how your tenure in the Warehouse affects your the likelihood.

Episode 58
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
jwrice5

Shows Seen: 43

Re: Ants Podcast 58 - This Warehouse Frightens Me (See I'm Leaving) - Discussion Thre

The 10-18 year members who only had a 67% success rate are probably requesting tickets to many more shows than the 1-3 year members who most likely are requesting tickets to 1 or 2 shows, which makes their respective success rates pretty obvious. Right?

I will say, I haven't been a member of the Warehouse for quite some time, as I don't see the benefit of it.
jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
jwrice5

Re: Ants Podcast 58 - This Warehouse Frightens Me (See I'm Leaving) - Discussion Thre

Sorry guys! You did address this later in the podcast.
jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
TwoStep2888
you know the thing

Shows Seen: 7

watched some of this on scope, will catch the rest in audio, you guys are doing good work
TwoStepnumbers is the best. he brings all his equipment on the bus. You can't fuck with that guy.
seatbelts.
TwoStep2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
dmbolp
GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 129

Just started listening, heard the 67% confirmed for senior members and 72% overall. My 2015 stats for 600+ show responses shows the exact same 67% for 1998 confirms, and a 77% overall (74% confirmed for non-lawn)...doesn't sound "random"

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps9625f73a.jpg
Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Just started listening, heard the 67% confirmed for senior members and 72% overall. My 2015 stats for 600+ show responses shows the exact same 67% for 1998 confirms, and a 77% overall (74% confirmed for non-lawn)...doesn't sound "random"

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps9625f73a.jpg
Havent listened yet. Youre saying they used your info and didnt credit you? That kinda sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #7
Jake
antsmarching.org Staff
Setlist Archiver

Shows Seen: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
Havent listened yet. Youre saying they used your info and didnt credit you? That kinda sucks.
that did not happen.

Matt added up all the twitter and instagram results. He never even stepped foot into the boards for info b/c we didn't want to cross-contaminate the data.

the data is consistent with what he found, mainly b/c the data is consistent. That's what data is supposed to do if done correctly
Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
dmbolp
GO GATORS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
Not claiming that, I'm saying my 2015 stats are right in line with their 2016 stats...senior members getting screwed year after year

Edit: What Jake just said

Last edited by dmbolp; 02-15-2016 at 07:49 PM.
dmbolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
chadizzy1
Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Not claiming that, I'm saying my 2015 stats are right in line with their 2016 stats...senior members getting screwed year after year

Edit: What Jake just said
Will you be compiling data from this year, as well? I always like seeing your results.

2020 - Arkansas & Mississippi
2021 - Woodlands, Dallas, Arkansas, STL
chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #10
dmbolp
GO GATORS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
Will you be compiling data from this year, as well? I always like seeing your results.
Nah...I give up, the Warehouse has won

I put in for 11 shows in 2012 (got will called for a 2nd stint, for eternity), 7 shows in 2015 (declined for 4, pushed back for $75 uppers for the other 3), so this year I only put in for my home show ATL this year, somehow got what I asked for, 4 $85 Lowers, so I'm done complaining about the Warehouse.

Plus, too many folks claiming that the 600+ requests used in the data was "too small of a sample size"...yeah, I'm not splitting the atom, I'm gathering info on a band's message board to show an obvious bias about tickets, not worth it anymore.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Joecoolness1

Shows Seen: 31

Really enjoying the frequent podcasts, so thanks guys! What made me want to actually post a comment was the story about getting peed on. Similar thing happened to me at Alpine in 08, only it happened twice, and it was the same dude both times - full stream, right on my legs. Andddddd that was the year I decided to start paying for reserved seats.
Joecoolness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #12
parks3923

Shows Seen: 48

We can all agree that the Warehouse is a failure right now. So what are ways you suggest to fix it. A few suggestions I have are:

1. Limit the amount of shows you can request. Maybe a 3-5 show limit.
2. Change the way seniority works. Do something like they do with the cds. If you have been a member for 10 years or more then you get put in a different pool. Maybe make PIT random, but have the first 10 rows behind PIT for those seniority members.
3. Increase the price of membership. What would you pay if you were guaranteed a pavilion seat?
parks3923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #13
crashintonickdm
Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 73

Will give this one a listen. Warehouse sucks. Caters to new fans much like the band. No wonder they can't keep the older fans around
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
cry_minarets458
MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

I'm just curious, but does anyone (Jake, Matt, other ants in the know) know how many tickets WH is actually allotted? I mean, I feel if they're not putting caps on amount of new WH members per year or even members overall, they should increase their allotment of tickets available to reflect how many requests are made per show. I'm sure that comes down to logistics and contracts with the venues (are they paid to play the venues and get kickbacks based on % of sales or does the band pay to rent the venue to make money off of ticket sales and whatnot--I don't know which), plus taking into effect each venue has season ticket holders, etc. I don't know how that aspect of it works, but just a thought I was wondering about.
*renounces DMB fandom*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister
In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #15
joejon11

Shows Seen: 24

on a 2 night stand id rather get declined for both than paying 16 for shipping for one show
joejon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #16
TheLastPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejon11 View Post
on a 2 night stand id rather get declined for both than paying 16 for shipping for one show
come on. Thats an awful take. Why even bother requesting at all then? Odds are way higher requesting a 2 night stand youre only going to be getting one of the nights anyway.

The little bit you save on tickets does partially cover those shipping fees compared to buying them from LN.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #17
cph9680

Shows Seen: 7
Send a message via AIM to cph9680 Send a message via Yahoo to cph9680

Go to Ticketmaster the day or two before the show and get better seats than the Warehouse could ever offer, hmm? Not much to think about on that one...
cph9680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #18
robertrose1955

Shows Seen: 3

Also keep in mind the quality of the tickets being confirmed for new members. I was a Warehouse member for one year (2012). The only shows I requested were both nights at Starlake (07/13 and 07/14/2012) and got stuck with lawn tickets for both shows so I cancelled the next year. Just didn't see the point, especially after I've gotten much better tickets without a membership.
robertrose1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 PM   #19
TheLastPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrose1955 View Post
Also keep in mind the quality of the tickets being confirmed for new members. I was a Warehouse member for one year (2012). The only shows I requested were both nights at Starlake (07/13 and 07/14/2012) and got stuck with lawn tickets for both shows so I cancelled the next year. Just didn't see the point, especially after I've gotten much better tickets without a membership.
Thats not how things are divided up now. Also you can opt out of lawn and get reserved or nothing

Quote:
Old 02-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #20
jrkarger
Git ĎAHT!

Shows Seen: 47

While I totally understand senior members' beef with pit/premium/tiers, there is one thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, the WH confirm thread, the 2016 tour thread, or anywhere else... maybe it was mentioned on the pod cast?

Everyone cites the WH policy (and I'm paraphrasing) that the longer you are in the WH the better your seats will be. However, isn't it also stated in the policy that whether or not your get confirmed for a show is totally random regardless or seniority and seniority only comes into play regarding seat assignments once you are confirmed?

The pit/premium/tiers complaints are totally valid, but with regard to getting confirmed, am I missing something?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #21
Moshav

Shows Seen: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
Everyone cites the WH policy (and I'm paraphrasing) that the longer you are in the WH the better your seats will be. However, isn't it also stated in the policy that whether or not your get confirmed for a show is totally random regardless or seniority and seniority only comes into play regarding seat assignments once you are confirmed?

The pit/premium/tiers complaints are totally valid, but with regard to getting confirmed, am I missing something?
That's my understanding. My current membership is two years old, and if I'm confirmed for lowers, I expect and assume that nobody with a worse "lower" seat than mine would have an older WH account. The 12/98 members that unluckily get uppers for that show would have the "best" uppers.

So I would think a one-year member that gets uppers would have the worst WH seats, and a 12/98 member that gets lowers would have the best seats (except for the premiums).
Moshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #22
TMoore4075
RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
It's not enough that they added the pit. Then they added premium seating then they decided the tier thing. Not sure why I keep renewing.
Yes. This is a huge thing that people blow off as not a big deal. 2010 my local show was one of the few that didn't have a pit, and this was the year they started it. I was row 2. The next year we still didn't have a pit but then we had premium tickets and I was pushed back to row 9. Then when the pit came into play it was row 10 and it keeps getting further back.

I get that you want newer members to have a shot too but that's not what the policy states. I mean that's like starting a job and complaining that you don't get the same amount of vacation time and benefits as someone who has been there 18 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #23
bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 91

I never posted how I did, but in case somebody is compiling statistics:

2011 account
NH - requested 1@pit/confirmed 1@upper (did not check box)
NH - requested 1@pit/confirmed 1@pit (did not check box)
WPB N2 - requested 2@lower/confirmed 2@upper (priority show/checked the box)
Gorge N3 - requested 1@pit/confirmed 1@upper (checked the box)

Everything else I did were lawns, so I'm not going to bother listing those. So my confirmation rate was great. Considering how many people were declined WPB, I'm fine with all of this. Although I do a lot of lawns, so I am generally not that particular.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #24
DaveGross34

Shows Seen: 90

I left the WH as a 12 year member in Dec 2012. Since then, I have been to 10 shows from NJ to FL, and never had a problem getting just as good, or better tickets than I got through the warehouse. I also don't need any more CD's. A professional recording of Rhyme and Reason from 1997 just doesn't do anything for me.
DaveGross34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #25
RiotAct
v Ruined Grey Street v

WH membership lapses in two days.... muahahaha

12.18.2002 - R.I.P. Grey St third verse
07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #26
crashintonickdm
Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 73

Why not just wait til a few weeks before show time and get tix for way cheaper than face? Do people need the pretty WH stubs?
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #27
TheLastPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
Why not just wait til a few weeks before show time and get tix for way cheaper than face? Do people need the pretty WH stubs?
You always say this and I have no idea where you get it from. Im sure theres some random instances, but if youre trying to get tix to a mid or high demand show, I have no idea where you think youre getting them for "way cheaper than face" unless theyre lawn or maybe shitty uppers. I consistently get them for face a few weeks or days before shows. But Ive never seen a good seat get sold for less than face.

Quote:

Last edited by TheLastPig; 02-16-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #28
ExistenceNow
AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 108

I haven't heard y'all mention the tier lottery yet, and that's really the big fuck you from the WH this year (and last).

So now, even on "seniority nights", older members can still get uppers, which is bullshit. My 2004 account, which would pull lowers at the Texas shows, now risks uppers (which I couldn't even GIVE away for free last year once I upgraded) so it's utterly useless. If I wanted shitty uppers, I'd offer someone a 12-pack of Lonestar in the lots for a pair of them. I certainly don't need to pay a fan club membership and full price to get that crap.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #29
ballshouse

Shows Seen: 80

I'm a Day 1 Warehouse member and was excited about hitting the Gorge this year (for the 2nd time) for the band's 25th anniversary and the 20th anniversary of my first show...Labor Day weekend 1996.

I requested Pit for all 3 nights, I was declined N1 and N2 and got $75 pavilion for N3 (which I had listed as my priority show for this tour).
Old 02-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #30
FlaFan09

Shows Seen: 27

6 year member
Requested:
Bangor 2 tickets
Camden N1 2 tickets
Camden N2 2 tickets
WPB N1 2 tickets
WPB N2 2 tickets ***Priority Designation

I got a ticket to every show. I checked the box and I have uppers for everything.
I think a lot of veteran WH members want better seats and do not check the box and maybe that's why they are getting declined?

I do NOT like the idea of only getting one of two nights. I live in Jacksonville, FL and will have to travel a good distance to attend any show. I'm not getting a plane ticket, hotel, and rental car for one night of a two nighter.

I do like the idea of a ticket limit. That way members are less likely to put in requests for shows they are not attending. Say first ten are on seniority and after that its random. Or the number of years in WH= number of tickets you can request using seniority, then you are in the random pool.
FlaFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote