Quick Chula Vista Review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
Tangus

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quick Chula Vista Review

Nothing comprehensive, just a few things that stuck out. It was a long, fun show. Dave came out early, somewhere around 5 or 10 till 7 to introduce Robert Earl Keen. He said that he was one of his favorite singers and was going to let him go over time.

Bartender - Nice, energetic version. At the end of the song the whole band cut out and Rashawn played a little solo "If I Only Had A Brain" or "Over the Rainbow" or whatever you prefer to call it. Very quiet with just him, I imagine, paying tribute to Roi. Lasted half a minute or so. Then as one the whole band jumped back in with both feet to rock the end of the song out.

Eh Hee - Dave mentioned before this song that "My friend Roi liked this song."

Stolen Away on 55th and 3rd - Stefan used the upright bass on this one. Not sure if that's normal on this song for him or not. I imagine it probably is, but thought I'd mention it.

Crush - Crazy soloing war between Jeff and Tim. When it was time for the solos Jeff strutted over and got in Tims face and then they each traded solos back and forth. Each took about 24 - 36 bars or something like that with Jeff going first. Tim looked like he was having a blast. He had a huge smile on his face the whole time they were trading off. Lots of high fives and smiles after the song ended from both of them.

Sugar Will - The verses seemed to be about Roi. Dave choked up during the second verse. He had to stop playing the guitar and focus on delivering the vocal as he sang something about 'his friend looking down' and 'telling him to go on' or something along those lines. I don't really remember too well - maybe someone else remembers. Definitely seemed to be a personal vocal.

Lover Lay Down - Dave choked up singing this one too. He struggled to sing the "Darling it's all the same" repeats. He kinda collected his breath a little after the last "all the same" and seemed to really feel the "till we dance away." It was very moving to watch.

Cornbread - Dave introduced Danny Barnes who played banjo as a special guest with Robert Earl Keen. Dave said we (the crowd) should YouTube Danny Barnes cause he has a lot of crazy stuff out there. He said he was from another planet - kinda like he did for the Flecktones a couple times a while back. At the end of the song the band dropped out and gave Danny a chance to solo for a bit. He tore it up for a couple minutes and then the band jumped back in to rock the song to a close. Very fun.

Lots of different emotion at this show from kinda stoic and just holding it together to being very energetic. It was a lot of fun and they always seem to play long at Chula since there isn't a curfew (at least I don't think there is). They started at their normal time (8:20ish) and yhey didn't finish the main set until after 11:00 if I recall. The show must have gone till 11:30 or a touch past although I didn't look at my watch so I'm not sure. Off to bed now. Later all.
Tangus is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
    dvalukis
    Em7Sus4

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Quick Chula Vista Review

nice review. can't wait to hear the tape.

dvalukis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
    Xavier Rudd

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Great review. The band came out at 8:19 and finished at 11:31. This band blows me away, every time. Beautiful evening.
    Xavier Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
    Amsterdam83

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

The duel between Jeff and Tim was definitely a highlight of the show. Did anyone else think Boyd was the only one not into it last night? I don't think I saw him smile once.

Also, anyone else on these boards get a free upgrade to pavilion? I was on the lawn right after Keen and an usher offered me a ticket to the pavilion in exchange for my lawn ticket. I asked why he was doing this and he replied the show was far from sold out. I couldn't believe it.
    Amsterdam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
    dps225

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The outer sections of the back row of the pavilion (301, 305) were essentially empty when we walked in about 8:10. I was disappointed - it was like a Padres game on a Tuesday night where they just don't even bother selling certain sections. Looked like it filled up so sounds like they were trying to fill it in.
    Old 08-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
    happyrishi
    Get Busy Living

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I agree the concert was far from being sold out. Economy?
    happyrishi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
    Granny Smurf
    MM #051 The Black Sheep

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by happyrishi View Post
    I agree the concert was far from being sold out. Economy?
    West Coast?
    Granny Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
    Shankincan

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granny Smurf View Post
    West Coast?

Lol...possibly, but I think Staples was near sold out the first night and quite full the second.
    Shankincan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
    VanHorneDog
    Loving Wings

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

chula ususally sells out the pavillion, my guess is economy and the fact that they changed the name of the place. maybe people in the area didnt realize its the same venue?