*** Offical SPAC 2021 Thread *** - Page 81 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #2401
redsox14

Shows Seen: 102

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *** Offical SPAC 2021 Thread ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmic135 View Post
I think I’m the only one around these parts that doesn’t get bitten by the hangover bug
I was on my death bed Saturday for most of the day.

I blame the breakfast shot

Jen
redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-22-2021, 07:40 AM   #2402
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushLive View Post
    Are you talking about hearing the sound in the pit from their monitors? Maybe they’ve drastically updated speaker technology but pit is horrible for hearing the sound.

In general, you are right. Spac is a tough venue for the sound guy (friend of some of ours). The natural acoustics of the venue do not play nice with the speakers. However I will say I do enjoy the unique (echo-y) sound of
    Spac. Go listen to Rye Whiskey. Amazing performance and the sound is super enjoyable on it.
    All I can do is speak to our experience. 2017 was our first time back at SPAC since '98. N1 in the pavilion middle lowers toward the back. We thought it sounded pretty good (although the fans singing did overpower D&T) until we were on the lawn for N2. There was just greater clarity and the crowd singing didn't overpower the fellas.

We had balcony seats both nights in 2018...being further to the right side for N1 and is sounded okay, but not great. The PA was pushing the limits of what the shed can handle. N2 center of balcony and the PA was definitely overpowering the shed...and the crowd singing drowning out a huge amount of the mid frequencies...Dave, his guitar, Tim, Buddy...they were all sounding muffled.

In 2019 we were near the back (last coupla rows before the lawn rail) of the lower pavilion and the sound was okay for N1. Some of similar issues as mentioned above, but not quite as bad. N2 we got the rail in front Tim and the little speaker stack in front of him has a killer mix. It was a bit loud, but you could hear Dave's voice and guitar with more clarity than any other seat we'd had in the shed. Again, just our experience.

For N1 this year we were in 6U to the extreme right of the stage...actually got to spend most of night on railing to the right where the buses are parked...and the lack of clarity was there and it was hard to clearly hear Jeff, along w/ Dave's voice. We finished the show on the lawn and the difference was massive in being to hear EVERYTHING and everyone clearly. For N2 we had seats in 9KK, but we did a swap and downgraded to lawns. The sound was even better than the end of N1, barring the assholes to our left and rear that talked for almost the entire show...why do these people bother going to shows?

The higher ceiling-ed non-balcony sheds handle DMB's sound system better than SPAC. I just think they need to dial it back a bit for SPAC, but I doubt they will.

Obviously not everyone has had our experience or shared it, which doesn't mean anything. I've got sensitive ears, but I know what I'm hearing. Hearing every note that Dave sings, his guitar, and Jeff's woodwinds are key to a great sonic experience for me when seeing the band. Unfortunately that's not happening at the level I expect or like within the SPAC shed these days.

Wolf Trap is basically a smaller version of SPAC and they have none of these issues. I'm guessing the bands are tuning to their needs more. At less than a 1/3 of SPACs total capacity and about 3,700 shed seats vs. 5,000 we're talking less popular artists, but still...

Regardless, we'll be trying to get pavilions again for SPAC in 2022...hopefully pits again for at least one night, but we'll downgrade again if that's how we're feeling.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #2403
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I was at the back of the balcony on N2 and everything sounded amazing, I'd imagine different sections sound different but where I was it was great. I didn't see the screens on the lawn but it sounds like you have a point there.

As for the new building on the lawn I guess it's good to have overpriced drink and food options in that location but it creates one hell of a traffic pattern, everything between the people getting to and from their seats to people in line for the concessions is kind of one big cluster
    $40 for a bottle of wine in a venue isn't bad. Beer prices...yes they're bad, just like everywhere else.

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #2404
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    $40 for a bottle of wine in a venue isn't bad. Beer prices...yes they're bad, just like everywhere else.
    They wanted $52 for a bottle of Dreaming Tree red at Star Lake

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 07:58 AM   #2405
    donvito72

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Crush is usually my piss song - it's nice and long - everyone loves it - I've heard it at like 50% of the 51 shows I've gone to - perfect time to run for a piss.
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #2406
    jjr4884

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Amazing songs shouldn't be rare or unlikely to be played, Dreaming Tree and Spoon should be played as frequently as the songs we got which to me are equal to or greater
    There is a reason Dave doesn't play these, and its because they just aren't good songs for live entertainment. Yep - i know i'm creating some enemies with this post, but for a slower/chill song, both of these just drag a show down. I will appreciate these unicorns just as much as the next person, but I can't sit here and say these snooze songs need to be played frequently just because they are super rare songs.

Lets take a look at some other slower/chill songs that are incredible when played live. Raven, Space Between, Stay or Leave, I'll Back You Up, Christmas Song, Typical Situation. Any of these songs, no matter how rare or played out, offer a nice change of pace but also engage the entire crowd because they are performed really well live. They are still "powerful" without having to be a Halloween/Two Step/Last Stop.

Edit - the more I think of it, i think the best spot for both Spoon or Dreaming Tree would E1 and nowhere else.

Last edited by jjr4884; 09-22-2021 at 08:19 AM.
    jjr4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #2407
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donvito72 View Post
    Crush is usually my piss song - it's nice and long - everyone loves it - I've heard it at like 50% of the 51 shows I've gone to - perfect time to run for a piss.
    Same - however the last half with the extended chorus is a part that i'd never miss. Luckily i can come and go and still be back for that part as it really ignites the entire place.
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #2408
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    $40 for a $12 bottle compared to $24 for a $4 can, def a better deal. If I saw the wine i would have gladly picked up a bottle instead of 24oz of piss liquid
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #2409
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post
    There is a reason Dave doesn't play these, and its because they just aren't good songs for live entertainment. Yep - i know i'm creating some enemies with this post, but for a slower/chill song, both of these just drag a show down. I will appreciate these unicorns just as much as the next person, but I can't sit here and say these snooze songs need to be played frequently just because they are super rare songs.

Lets take a look at some other slower/chill songs that are incredible when played live. Raven, Space Between, Stay or Leave, I'll Back You Up, Christmas Song, Typical Situation. Any of these songs, no matter how rare or played out, offer a nice change of pace but also engage the entire crowd because they are performed really well live. They are still "powerful" without having to be a Halloween/Two Step/Last Stop.

Edit - the more I think of it, i think the best spot for both Spoon or Dreaming Tree would E1 and nowhere else.

I mean this is just wrong but okay
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #2410
    donvito72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I won't say you made an enemy, but I wholeheartedly disagree with this. A show needs slower / chill songs. It's not supposed to be a 3 hour rage-fuck
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:22 AM   #2411
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Triple - rats too late

I'll tell it its taking a couple days to get out of SPAC mindset and back into normal work week. These past couple days went by as slow as Spoon at a show
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #2412
    donvito72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Triple - rats too late

I'll tell it its taking a couple days to get out of SPAC mindset and back into normal work week. These past couple days went by as slow as Spoon at a show
    I'm going to choke you.
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #2413
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I won't say you made an enemy, but I wholeheartedly disagree with this. A show needs slower / chill songs. It's not supposed to be a 3 hour rage-fuck
    Well i never really said that every show is supposed to be a rage-fuck - completely get it and that is why i mentioned a half dozen other songs off the top of my head that i personally feel are better performances. Slow songs can still have crowd engagement and some sort of build-up/climax in the chorus/bridge - and I think both Spoon and Dreaming Tree are missing that.
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #2414
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm going to choke you.
    I'll chime in with the "i might like that" before Lexie does
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #2415
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

If you ignore the crowd engagement and build-up/climax of Spoon and Dreaming Tree they definitely don't have either
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #2416
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

The outro to earlier Spoons is one of my favorite pieces this band has ever done, I could listen to this on repeat all day:
    https://youtu.be/iMouRTx40K8

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #2417
    Titotimmy
    Lillywhite's Tapeworm

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Spoon and Dreaming Tree are two examples of songs with amazing builds into the outro

R.I.P. Last Stop 4/8/1998 - 9/1/2018
    Titotimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #2418
    donvito72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll chime in with the "i might like that" before Lexie does
    HAHA - well played
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #2419
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you ignore the crowd engagement and build-up/climax of Spoon and Dreaming Tree they definitely don't have either
    this literally made me lol - i've only been lucky enough to see each song a couple times and it saddened me that only a very small percentage of people were as excited as i was when i knew what song was playing - 2013 Spoon with Stanley Jordan i've never seen so many clueless people in my entire life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    The outro to earlier Spoons is one of my favorite pieces this band has ever done, I could listen to this on repeat all day:
    https://youtu.be/iMouRTx40K8
    Never heard this before - gotta say i'd have a better appreciation for the song if they played it like the older shows. I haven't heard any recent ones but I'm afraid what they sound like without Boyd (and Leroi obv)
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #2420
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this literally made me lol - i've only been lucky enough to see each song a couple times and it saddened me that only a very small percentage of people were as excited as i was when i knew what song was playing - 2013 Spoon with Stanley Jordan i've never seen so many clueless people in my entire life.

It depends on the crowd, some crowds like Jones Beach are dull, some crowds like SPAC aren't. We already have proof that when DMB plays Dreaming Tree at SPAC the crowd is completely into it, see 2008.
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #2421
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In anti-SPAC fashion i'm going to multi-quote since post count doesn't matter for a veteran like me

Challenge accepted? Word on the street was that you were in pretty rough shape Friday morning if i'm not mistaken.....
    Gonna plead the fifth here. But at the same time, its true, which makes me the perfect person to drink with if you want a hangover.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #2422
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Never heard this before - gotta say i'd have a better appreciation for the song if they played it like the older shows. I haven't heard any recent ones but I'm afraid what they sound like without Boyd (and Leroi obv)

Crowds not knowing a song that has only been played like 25 times ever is not surprising.

Listen to the Cville 2010 spoon. That’s what they can do with it now. It’s incredible.
    BruceW is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #2423
    donvito72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Crowds not knowing a song that has only been played like 25 times ever is not surprising.

Listen to the Cville 2010 spoon. That’s what they can do with it now. It’s incredible.
    This is a great point - it's a self fulfilling prophecy that nobody knows a song they basically refuse to play. 51 shows and I've yet to hear Spoon live - it's amazing to me. But hey, 31 Grey Streets!
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #2424
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is a great point - it's a self fulfilling prophecy that nobody knows a song they basically refuse to play. 51 shows and I've yet to hear Spoon live - it's amazing to me. But hey, 31 Grey Streets!

Singing From the Windows has been played by Dave 29 times in the last 17 months. 1/2 as many times as Spoon has been played in any fashion in 23 years.
    BruceW is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #2425
    donvito72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Singing From the Windows has been played by Dave 29 times in the last 17 months. 1/2 as many times as Spoon has been played in any fashion in 23 years.
    It's seriously staggering when you put it like that.
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #2426
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

What's Going On In Here?!

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #2427
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I was expecting Windows E1 for N2 and then Dave, Carter, Tim and Buddy walked out, was so confused trying to guess what was going to be played
    Old 09-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #2428
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Gonna plead the fifth here. But at the same time, its true, which makes me the perfect person to drink with if you want a hangover.
    Welp - see you in Mohegan
    Old 09-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #2429
    Bowa34
    JaMarcus Russell

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Welp - see you in Mohegan
    Grab my number from Lexie - Im getting a group together for dinner at TAO Sunday night if you’re interested

Don't ask me to Captain your boat
    Bowa34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #2430
    jjr4884

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowa34 View Post
    Grab my number from Lexie - Im getting a group together for dinner at TAO Sunday night if you’re interested
    Ooooh nice - definitely count me in. I'm staying Monday and Tuesday but could easily come down for dinner. It's not even an hour for me. Will do