~Official Pearl Jam Appreciation Thread~ - Page 460 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #13771
maxatlof

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ~Official Pearl Jam Appreciation Thread~

this is corny as fuck. its just a lip synced performance. thought it was going to be live.
maxatlof is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #13772
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

the moms on the PJ Ten Club facebook group looooooved it

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2020, 04:41 AM   #13773
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I couldn’t find it on prime
    Old 06-25-2020, 07:51 AM   #13774
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxatlof View Post
    this is corny as fuck. its just a lip synced performance. thought it was going to be live.
    Was everything like this or just PJ? I can only find the PJ song on YouTube.

Disappointing. My friend who LOVES PJ and likes DMB was really looking forward to this. Glad I didn't set aside time to watch.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #13775
    maxatlof

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post
    Was everything like this or just PJ? I can only find the PJ song on YouTube.

Disappointing. My friend who LOVES PJ and likes DMB was really looking forward to this. Glad I didn't set aside time to watch.
    No, there were some performances that were definitely live. It's just PJ had sent out the email saying this was going to be their first "live" performance since the album had come out so that's fully what I was anticipating. Pretty disappointing. Dave was live, Ben Gibbard was live, Brandi Carlile was live. Plenty of acts were live, no reason a band of their skill should've phoned it in and lip synced.
    maxatlof is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #13776
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

can someone post just Dave's performance from a Youtube link? I couldn't find it. Thanks.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2020, 07:55 AM   #13777
    dmbfd15

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know where to get tickets on the secondary market for their Euro tour? I’d like to try to see them in Amsterdam if possible.
    dmbfd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #13778
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfd15 View Post
    Does anyone know where to get tickets on the secondary market for their Euro tour? I’d like to try to see them in Amsterdam if possible.
    StubHub?
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #13779
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

Been listening to a lot of live stuff from 2000 on Youtube recently - especially Pinkpop, Nurnburg, and “Touring Band” DVD clips. Man, that was such a great year for both Pearl Jam and DMB.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:27 AM   #13780
    Ascf33
    Pure Class

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I saw my first show in the 2000 tour. Was a beast of a year, excluding the obvious.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2020, 05:37 AM   #13781
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I really don’t like how ed was singing in 2000 compared to 2003. He clenched his teeth alot that tour.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2020, 05:45 AM   #13782
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post
    I really don’t like how ed was singing in 2000 compared to 2003. He clenched his teeth alot that tour.
    I don't mind that singing style, I think it suits the overall sound of the band.

It's weird watching clips from '03... Ed looks like a high school math teacher or something with the short hair

Old 09-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #13783
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder) talks about the Howard Stern interview that didn't happen.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...ew-1234759329/
    Old 09-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #13784
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

My Tour Central Stats

Man, Ed is so guarded in interviews it would have been interesting to hear him interviewed by a real pro. Also, it’s crazy to think of the tour that never was this spring. The band has been (sadly) largely silent since the album release. It would be cool to see them at least do something! In a side note, I was driving through a nearby town here and noticed one of the hay bails that the town decorates each fall in front of local businesses said Jeff Ament MPS, kinda cool since I know Jeff is holed up here during quarantine in MT.
    Old 09-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #13785
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post
    Man, Ed is so guarded in interviews it would have been interesting to hear him interviewed by a real pro. Also, it’s crazy to think of the tour that never was this spring. The band has been (sadly) largely silent since the album release. It would be cool to see them at least do something! In a side note, I was driving through a nearby town here and noticed one of the hay bails that the town decorates each fall in front of local businesses said Jeff Ament MPS, kinda cool since I know Jeff is holed up here during quarantine in MT.
    That's awesome. Would have loved to have seen one of the MT shows. Maybe they'll do SNL?
    Old 09-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #13786
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Saw last week that the band released all the posters for the spring tour and was selling them to club members on their site. I thought about getting the Nashville one (my show) but opted out. Too sad to have a poster for a show that never happened.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #13787
    wvufan2010
    Evan

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t know if it’s the headspace I’m in now versus when I went through the catalog for the first time in January, but Binaural has gone from an album I put in the lower half of their work on first listen to quite possibly my favorite. Something about the mood of that album resonates so much with me with how this year has gone. I still hesitate to put it above Yield or Vs, but it’s still a beautiful collection of music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wvufan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #13788
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wvufan2010 View Post
    I don’t know if it’s the headspace I’m in now versus when I went through the catalog for the first time in January, but Binaural has gone from an album I put in the lower half of their work on first listen to quite possibly my favorite. Something about the mood of that album resonates so much with me with how this year has gone. I still hesitate to put it above Yield or Vs, but it’s still a beautiful collection of music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Basically my feeling with Riot Act. I needed a CD to listen to on my bike rides and this CD wasn't scratched at all since I didn't listen much to it as it wasn't in my top 5 PJ albums. Now it might be in my top 3.
    Old 09-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #13789
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    That's awesome. Would have loved to have seen one of the MT shows. Maybe they'll do SNL?
    I've been to the last two, just missed 2005 show, regret that. 2012 was fantastic.
    Old 09-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #13790
    RiotAct

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Saw last week that the band released all the posters for the spring tour and was selling them to club members on their site. I thought about getting the Nashville one (my show) but opted out. Too sad to have a poster for a show that never happened.
    yeah that would be pretty weird to own, IMO. Plus, most of them sucked anyway. The Toronto one was hot garbage (as was Baltimore's).

Old 09-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #13791
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

My Tour Central Stats

I thought Baltimore and San Diego were cool posters
    Old 09-19-2020, 04:34 AM   #13792
    swordo84
    . .

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post

I had forgotten they were doing this. I'm thankful I saw this post and managed to snag one form Hamilton.
    swordo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #13793
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

This is great, never saw this thread before. From 1996-2003, PJ & DMB were the bands I scheduled my work vacations around for all those 7 years.

One of the most deliriously happy times I had was 1996, year started with some awesome D&T shows. But HORROR OF HORRORS: when DMB & PJ announced their summer tours, they were overlapping in the Northeast! What is a manic fan of both bands to do when DMB is playing Boston the same day PJ is playing Hartford?

Basically because DMB was doing way more shows, and PJ I only was going to 4, I saw DMB Boston 1 and then missed Boston 2 to go to PJ in Hartford.

I didn't know how to drive then, but still somehow I saw 8 shows in 10 days and only missed ONE full day of work, ALL ON GREYHOUND BUSES (helped that there was a conference in Hartford the day after PJ's Hartford show which was the day of DMB's MSG 1 show so got into NYC just in time.

The 1st of 8 was 9/27/96 Ben Harper playing the day before opening for PJ on Randall's Island at a tiny place in NYC called Tramps, so that was Show 1. Not that time but another time, I saw Ben Harper at Tramps at the bottom of the bill. Spearhead (Michael Franti) was middle all openiing for THE FUGEES!!! That was a whole different historic show, one of hte best I've ever seen of any bands....

Then the 2 PJ shows (Ben Harper opening) on Randall's Island (9/28 & 9/29) which were HISTORIC, they were such incredible, intense shows. For the mega PJ fans, one of my most memorable PJ fan experiences was getting to talk to Jack Irons before the 2nd show and him telling me himself the whole history of how he was part of Eddie meeting Stone & Jeff and forming PJ. Amazing to hear that from his ears.

9/30 work day; 10/1 DMB in Boston at Fleet Center, then the dreaded choice, so 10/2 PJ in Hartford. 10/3 & 10/4 DMB at MSG. And 10/6 DMB in Amherst.

It was a crazy run. But what I'm most grateful for is I was GRATEFUL AS HELL then, I did fully appreciate just how incredible it was to see all those shows and that level of music, in that condensed time.

Last edited by GraceBuckley; 09-19-2020 at 05:37 PM.
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #13794
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

On the DREAM SETLIST question, I can't say it's 100% my dream setlist, but this show (which at the time was about my 56th Pearl Jam show (been seeing them since '93)) was... I start to get tears in my eyes just thinking about how this show unfolded. It was one for the record books to me, and in the middle of it I thought ofthe date and realized it was 20 YEARS and a DAY since my FIRST full PJ show.

This is the official "Fanview" of the show but my personal fanview told my story, which included some outrageous setlist/fan experience synergy on my part but also the moment the show took on a much bigger meaning in helping a fan in a wheelchair and then the rest of the PJ fandom stepping in to give this guy the best night of his life (his own words). It was amazing.

Check this setlist, it was something, and rumor has it it was one of the few that Eddie didn't create (I think Stone created this one, and my fave 2008 PJ show which was Hartford and had a crazy different setlist, rumor has it Jeff created that one)... NOTE: THEY DIDN'T END WITH ANY OF THE REGULAR ENDING SONGS! It was seriously my dream encore set for sure, the last 2 encores...

Pearl Jam
    University of Virginia
    John Paul Jones Arena
    Charlottesville, VA
    Oct. 29, 2013
    Set List

01. Pendulum-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
    02. Release
    (Ed sings “Oh dear Lou” in the last verse. Presumably referring to Lou Reed who passed away the previous Sunday)
    03. In My Tree
    04. Corduroy
    05. Go
    06. Why Go
    07. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
    (during the guitar intro Ed says, “Good evening, we’ll talk later. First I have a story to tell you.” starts singing.)

08. Mind Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
    (Ed says, “I remember exactly when this next song was written. It was right on Virginia Beach thirteen years ago when we were last here. We were really struggling with some things at the time. I also noticed that this is the anniversary of Hurricane Sandy. It is nice to know that after all those tragedy’s that we can find ourselves in this cozy building with you”.)
    09. I Am Mine
    10. Swallowed Whole-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
    11. Faithfull
    12. Wishlist
    13. Sirens-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
    (after the song is over Ed says “thanks a lot” and starts strumming his 12 string acoustic and singing the “a-ah, oh oh” outro. The audience joins in and they sing a couple of rounds of the outro. Not unlike the “Black” outro sing along)
    14. Jeremy
    15. Grievance
    16. Glorified G
    17. The Fixer
    18. Down
    (early in the song Ed sees something he doesn’t like happening. He asks if something is wrong and stops the band. The house lights come up and Ed says, “I think this is going to get sorted out quickly.” After a very brief pause Ed says “That was just a speed bump.” The band starts back into the song).

19. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1
    (Ed jokes about how cool it would be if the 12 year old in the front had his first sip of wine at a Pearl Jam show. He says we will talk to our accountant and see if we can set up a fund in case the kid ends up at AA. He says “this next song we haven’t played this tour because it is so fucking depressing.” He apologizes to the parents for saying “fuck” so much in front of the kids. He thanks the audience for taking such good care of each other and that except for that one person it is great that it is safe for the kids to be up front.)

20. The End
    21. Thumbing My Way
    (this one is about getting out of college or not even getting into college or working a job that isn’t the one you wanted...hopefully when you get out of college their will be jobs to have.)
    22. Sleight Of Hand
    (Ed starts to play “Future Days” then asks the band if they can change the order. Stone starts playing “Footsteps”.
    23. Footsteps
    (“That last song is such a beautiful piece of music. You can say that when you didn’t write it. That music is so good and they let me write a song to it. Chris Cornell wrote a song to it and I think Andy Wood wrote a song to it. Let’s thank Jeff and Stone for starting this all off. And can we thank Matt Cameron for playing in two fucking bands? Okay, let’s turn the cameras off and get this over with. Ed goes down and pours something into a cup and says “That is for the Dad, you can do whatever you want with it.” (this refers back to Ed wanting to give some wine to the 12 year old in the front). Ed then laughs and says, that “is Gatorade. No wait, that was the wine...No, it was the Gatorade...well that is what some people call it.” Ed promises to talk about Mike later and introduces Boom.)
    24. Future Days-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
    25. Mother-(Waters)
    26. Given To Fly
    27. Whipping
    (“This one doesn’t get played a lot. There are more surfers in Virginia than people realize”)
    28. Big Wave
    29. Sad
    30. Porch

Encore Break 2
    (Ed mentions a sign he sees about Lou Reed. Jeff plays a line of “Walk On The Wild Side”. Ed says, “Let’s, on the count of three, maybe he can still hear us, say ‘we love you Lou’.” Ed counts off and the audience complies.)
    31. Breath
    32. State Of Love And Trust
    33. Alive
    (Ed brings the young man up on the stage. Ed notes they knew every word to every song. Ed says that is great that kids are so into the band because they will at least have an audience of 2 people into their 80’s. Ed notes, “This is the Led Zeppelin arena” Mike starts playing Led Zeppelin riffs. Ed corrects himself, “oh no John Paul Jones arena)
    34. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
    35. Little Wing-(Hendrix)
    Old 09-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #13795
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Also that Little Wing they ended with, it was the whole song, vocals and all.

And note Pink Floyd's Mother...

And I got Ed's last tambourine during Baba O'Riley. Like, it was quite a freaking experience.
    Old 09-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #13796
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    Also that Little Wing they ended with, it was the whole song, vocals and all.

And note Pink Floyd's Mother...

And I got Ed's last tambourine during Baba O'Riley. Like, it was quite a freaking experience.
    That's freaking awesome. That Release, In My Tree one two punch might be the best opening two songs that I can think of. I have a new appreciation for Riot Act and Thumbing My Way might be my favorite song off of that album. I cannot wait to hear then again live hopefully in 2021.

Also, piggybacking on that Vulture interview, I hope that Pearl Jam the whole band plays Stern because there may be some classic acoustic stuff in there.
    Old 09-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #13797
    TypicalBilly14

My Tour Central Stats

A Pearl Jam/vinyl story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUy2Z4V8gd0
    Old 09-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #13798
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's freaking awesome. That Release, In My Tree one two punch might be the best opening two songs that I can think of. I have a new appreciation for Riot Act and Thumbing My Way might be my favorite song off of that album. I cannot wait to hear then again live hopefully in 2021.

Also, piggybacking on that Vulture interview, I hope that Pearl Jam the whole band plays Stern because there may be some classic acoustic stuff in there.
    Thumbing My Way is my fave song on the album too! And yes Release into In My Tree was unexpected and great!
    Old 09-19-2020, 11:24 PM   #13799
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I had no idea Benaroya was THAT rare! $1200 for an album? Maybe if I was a multi-millionaire... otherwise that is beyond my comprehension! And I definitely understand the value of PJ...

It's not an album but one of my most unusual pieces of PJ memorabilia was from the 2000 tour, where after Roskilde festival where multiple fans were crushed to death, they never played Alive again until the very last show in Seattle which was the end of the tour. So that was a super special show cuz it was a super emotional year, it was a hometown show, and it was all really intense. I was supposed to get a VIP pass and I think the guest list was so full, someone who knew I was supposed to get one gave me one that they knew wasn't needed because the person was already inside with a different pass. It was Krist Noveselic of Nirvana, so I have this plastic PJ VIP pass with the date of that last show and Krist Noveselic's name on it, combining PJ, Nirvana, Seattle and that show all in one artifact. Still a treasured memory.

Just realized I've been to 2 shows where Alive was particularly intense.
    Old 09-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #13800
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This was neat. Good share.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote