Deer Creek N2 - Antsmarching.org Forums
Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
DMBmelch

Shows Seen: 34

Deer Creek N2

Amazing. Full Shot Gun, Say Goodbye, and Nancies. Very good show, and the guys had great energy tonight. All in all, an excellent show!
DMBmelch is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
    PSUforever21
    We Are...Penn State!

Shows Seen: 50

Re: Deer Creek N2

Back to the hotel....unbelievable energy and tremendous potential. I was caught off guard with them coming on around 8:15, but even more thrown off with the PNP-Rapunzel set closer. The show ended tonight around 10:51, I thought it was short for Deer Creek. I heard that yesterday they didn't finish until well after 11. I guess I was expecting at least one more song. However, fantastic show. Just stellar.

Let's Go Bucs!
    PSUforever21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

Shows Seen: 3

Say gotobabayzzzesss
    DJGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
    lancewilk

Shows Seen: 82

Just got back to Evansville. I floated home after an awesome 2 nights! So many great highlights. The Deer Creek crowd is so awesome.

Here's more details in my blog: http://www.lancewilkerson.com/lance-...eer-creek.html
    lancewilk is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
    PSUforever21
    We Are...Penn State!

Shows Seen: 50

Lance, I'm glad that you mentioned You and Me having a Granny feel. I was thinking exactly the same thing....the crowd really sings the Yes, yes's just like the love's and baby's from Granny. I've been to 17 shows now and I'm still trying to figure out why there was so much energy last night. Is it the crowd that makes the difference? Or the band? I keep thinking that the place with the most intelligent fans should have the most energy...like the Gorge or Charelottsville; however I've been to both places and felt like last night topped them both.

Let's Go Bucs!
    PSUforever21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
    kgs305

Shows Seen: 26

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PSUforever21 View Post
    Lance, I'm glad that you mentioned You and Me having a Granny feel. I was thinking exactly the same thing....the crowd really sings the Yes, yes's just like the love's and baby's from Granny. I've been to 17 shows now and I'm still trying to figure out why there was so much energy last night. Is it the crowd that makes the difference? Or the band? I keep thinking that the place with the most intelligent fans should have the most energy...like the Gorge or Charelottsville; however I've been to both places and felt like last night topped them both.
    I've heard from numerous people that last night the crowd wasn't good at all.
    A human being that was given to fly
    kgs305 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 57

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kgs305 View Post
    Are you kidding me???? that was one of the most insanely into it crowds i've ever been apart of! Aside from the body surfing during Stone...no complaints crowd-wise
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
    myersk27

Shows Seen: 28

Quote:
    wow.....you've heard all sorts of not so good things about last night. i'll say that in my area the crowd was awesome! and the Fools Rush In outro during the Stone was better than Alpines. My friend who was a DMB virgin commented towards the end of the show how blown away she was by how much the crowd was into it and how they knew all the words to all the songs......i thought the crowd was awesome last night
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
    myersk27

Shows Seen: 28

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    Are you kidding me???? that was one of the most insanely into it crowds i've ever been apart of! Aside from the body surfing during Stone...no complaints crowd-wise
    i did not see that!!!
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
    TrueHoosier
    exactly what you need

Shows Seen: 21

Quote:
    The most likely reason for that : Your friends suck at life.

The crowd was 100% on fire both nights.

My name is Adam
    TrueHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
    summerheart
    leesa.

Shows Seen: 18

i thought the crowd was awesome both nights. i think both shows were so amazingly ridiculously awesome. srsly. i'm still all abt it.
    summerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myersk27 View Post
    wow.....you've heard all sorts of not so good things about last night. i'll say that in my area the crowd was awesome! and the Fools Rush In outro during the Stone was better than Alpines. My friend who was a DMB virgin commented towards the end of the show how blown away she was by how much the crowd was into it and how they knew all the words to all the songs......i thought the crowd was awesome last night
    I was SHOCKED at how much the crowd ate up Say Goodbye even! I was like...well i'm gonna enjoy this...but this might be a pee break for most of the casuals...WOW!

The crowd was seriously off its rocker. i mean...i think YMDT then to Seven worked really well(surprisingly) to open up. Plus You and Me early in the show just kept the crowd alive and into it. I think the quietest song for the crowd was Shotgun honestly.

DMB got the crowd hooked from song 1 and it didn't break.

No Bayou, No Corn Bread in a 2 nite stand. Those are the EASY ones to get the crowd going. They could resorted to this. They didn't. My hats off!
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Plus, i hope on the tapes you can here the crowd during Seven. UNBELIEVABLE! The night before people were into...but last night...HOLY SHIT what a different experience!
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
    TrueHoosier
    exactly what you need

Shows Seen: 21

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    Plus, i hope on the tapes you can here the crowd during Seven. UNBELIEVABLE! The night before people were into...but last night...HOLY SHIT what a different experience!
    Were you in sec C last night?

My name is Adam
    TrueHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrueHoosier View Post
    Were you in sec C last night?
    I was in the preferred lawn, pretty much 2 feet from where the grass starts.
    Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
    dirkdover

Shows Seen: 40

Nasty, nasty show!! People will be talking about this one for awhile. Say Goodbye and full Shotgun will have people talking. But no one has said anything yet about the sick Two Step. Rain was pouring down. Carter was on fire!! If you listened closely you could hear that the band was about to end the song but Dave kept is going. Insane night, insane show. A show like that is what keeps me coming back for more.
    Old 08-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #17
    zebinski

Shows Seen: 45

I must say that last night's show was one of the best crowd nights I have experienced! EVERYBODY was gettin down and participating and it just made me so happy to love this band so much. Carter and Boyd were definitely the stars of the night. Carter's solo on Two Step was the best I have ever heard him do! It was on fire and the entire ending when they kept extending it because the crowd was going crazy was an amazing DMB moment and I will always remember this night! Deer Creek has always been in my top 2 places to see them and it never lets me down. Thanks to everyone in the crowd for being the crazy, loud, great people that you are and for the band being the best touring musical act in history!
    zebinski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
    lancewilk

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PSUforever21 View Post
    the deer creek crowd is always awesome. great dmb fans. not having one single crappy song in the set helps too!
    Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
    lancewilk

DMB Deer Creek N2 Setlist plus audio from Shotgun and Say Goodbye : http://www.lancewilkerson.com/lance-...bye-audio.html
    Old 08-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
    gunder33

Shows Seen: 38

Let me start by saying I love the WH and if I wasn't a member I never would have had my chance at once in a lifetime seats last night. I was quick to respond to an early morning post on from a nice gentleman on WED for section C, row E for this show. UnFingBelievable! Front row! The Livenation worker checked my ticket while I was in my seat at 8pm, put a star on it and gave me a wristband and said, "You're welcome to stand up at the rail for the entire show." I was soooo excited. Obviously. So I was directly in front of Coffin's saxophones in the very 1st row. This was my 27th show by the way.

It's amazing to sit that close and see all the things that go on during the show that you cannot see in 99% of the rest of the seats in the house. There is an incredible amount of eye contact that goes on between the band members, mostly between Dave and Carter that I think is communication having to do with when to start/stop a jam, etc, etc, etc. It's kind of hard to explain. There's a guy on the left side of the stage behind all the speakers that is constantly testing and tuning Dave's guitars. Dave's bodyguard, Darrell, stands on the right side of the stage where you really cannot see him and seems like he really digs the music. Dave and Carter definitely call the shots and run the show I think. I didn't notice a set list taped anywhere on the stage, on Carter's floor of his set, no where. And I still don't know what's in Dave's silver cup he drinks out of! It's just so cool to see the little details when you're that close. It also seems to me that Carter and Tim know they're by far the most talented musicians in the band and sometimes do whatever they want and the rest of the guys love it and follow along! I could be a little off here, but that's what it seemed like to me. And I'm not saying they think this in a cocky way at all. We all know Carter is so modest and one of the happiest people in the world.

Kind of funny to see what they were all wearing too up close...

Jeff - graphic t, cargo sweat pants with 2 pockets on each leg, black shoes
    Rashawn - biggest long sleeve Ecko shirt I've ever seen, black/grey jeans
    Stefan - really ugly black jeans, black t
    Dave - black button down long sleeve shirt, jeans, brown boots
    Carter - Adidas top and bottom (usually Under Armour)
    Tim - black t, black jeans, California Raisins sunglasses
    Boyd - t (can't remember color) and jeans

Now for the show of course

I was really happy with the opener, YMDT, I love that song! Great energy from the start. I know it's obvious, but the hits of the night were definitely Say Goodbye, Burning Down the House and I thought the Crush jam was possibly the best I've ever seen. Two Step was great, awesome Carter solo. Looks like they're doing this at all shows when Two Step is played now? Alligator Pie was awesome, such a great song to dance to! And my fav. DMB song is Dancing Nancies, so it was great to get that early. Anyone know what he Dave sang - "lost somewhere in _______." Def. didn't sound like "Paris." I also thought Boyd shined on his solo and he looked really happy. It seems the last few shows I've been to where Leroi has been gone, Boyd just hasn't been happy and is just up on stage standing in his spot and not getting into it like he used to. I'm not complaining about that at all, just making the observation. So I thought it was GREAT to see a smile on his face and him getting into it last night.

Everyone was saying the show was short, which I agree with. They probably could have gotten 1 more song it. But look at the set - 17 songs (I count PNP/Rapunzel as 1) and we had AT LEAST 3 awesome jams - Crush, Stone and Two Step. I'm fine with it, was very satisfied and this show is definitely in my Top 10 of the 27 I've been to. Possibly Top 5. I know my seat was amazing and probably won't happen again, but I'm basing this off the setlist/show alone, not where I was sitting.

And now for the venue. This was my 1st time to Deer Creek. I'm an Alpine veteran and everyone says how great Deer Creek is. The actual venue and its concourse is very similar to FMBA in Tinley Park, but the sound at Deer Creek is wayyyyyyy better. Not even fair to compare actually, because the sound at FMBA absolutely blows. Can't even believe DMB still books shows there. As for the lots and tailgating, definitely so so. I'm pretty sure no grilling was allowed, so most people were just drinkin' and eating snacks sandwiches and stuff. No big deal, but when you're used to the Alpine tailgate, I guess nothing can really compare to that. I thought the crowd at Deer Creek was great, very into it, seemed knowlegable (The Stone) and just loved everything that was going on.

I think that's all I've got. Thanks again WH and to the great WH member who helped make this happen!

Salud,
    Mark
    gunder33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #21
    bryaba01

Shows Seen: 0

TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP

well last night 8/1/09 was my 21st show since 1999, in 4 different states, including The Gorge. whatever about the crowd. I couldn't believe when they played Say Goodbye and no one around me cared!?! Or The Stone.

btw, I read that Smooth Rider wasn't a crowd favorite? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'll take that song ANY DAY!!!!!!!!! I LOVE STEFAN!!!!

Opened with You Might Die Trying. Didn't see that coming. But, I'll take it and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the scat thing Dave has been doing lately at the end when they jam. Heard it on Beacon Theatre. WOW!

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE GRUX LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I don't like the studio, but what they do with those songs in concert should be illegal!!! But, I'm glad its not!

SEVEN!!!!!!!!!!! SHAKE ME LIKE A MONKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Stone-incredible!!!! Say Goodbye-Incredible!

I've never been a fan of Pantala/Rapunzel at the end of a show because I like hearing Pantala at the beginning of the night. Scratch that, I'll take Pantala WHENEVER!!!! I LOVE IT! And would die if they played it alone or before something else. or extended it. Anyway, Rapunzel. Not a huge fan. Used to be, but sort of over it, esp at the end. BUT LAST NIGHT... Wow.
    Energetic. A little disappointed with it closing, but eh, its DMB BABY!!! I'LL TAKE WHATEVER THEY SERVE UP!!!!!

I have copies of both nights from Alpine from this year, and was really hoping we would get a similar version of that TWO STEP AND WE DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY KILLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! In all 21 shows I've never experienced anything like that TWO STEP. There are no words to describe what that band did during TWO STEP, but if you were there, and you're somehow reading this without your face (because it was melted off and is still back at Deer Creek, lying in the lawn or under a seat in the pavilion somewhere) then you know exactly what I'm talking about!!!!!! It was incredible!!! The best DMB high ever!!!!!!!!! What an encore!!!!

I LOVE THIS BAND!!!!! SEE YOU AT THE GORGE!!!!! 33 DAYS!!!!

TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP TWO STEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bryaba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #22
    justincreekrn

Shows Seen: 25

Wow. Got back from the show after taking a buddy that had never been to DMB. He had a blast and so did I. Great crowd, great energy, great performances...overall AWESOME. Little disappointed in no Halloween...especially after seeing the setlist...but still....great job

YMDT: I was shocked...I honestly thought they accidentally started with the wrong song...but, surprisingly, it worked well as an opener...got people excited and dancing

Seven: I was surprised to hear this since they played it night 1...but it is a beast live...I liked it a lot and Dave's vocals were spot on. Good crowd reaction

You and Me: I was expecting this...just not this early. Whoever said it is turning into a "new" Granny is right.

Nancies: Hell yes. They could play this every show and I wouldn't complain

LITHOG: Great little ditty. Sounds good live. Like it.

Shotgun: Finally. All the teases. I really have liked this tune for a while and DMB did not disappoint. Good version. However, the crowd was not really into this one. That's ok...cause I was.......until........

Say Goodbye: Holy shit. I've never seen this live. The crowd erupted. Great version. Really surprised me.

Funny: I like this song live a lot better than on the radio. Gets people dancing and singing along. Flawless version. No flubs by Dave.

Dive In: Like this song...but kinda a downer at the show

Crush: Yeaaaaaaah. Like Nancies....every show and I wouldn't care. Coffin was amazing here.

Stone: Highlight of the night. The song is amazing. Crowd ate it up. Carter tore it up.

Shake Me: Quick, tight, good. Like this song live. Good energy for the crowd.

Alligator Pie: This song owns. Dave was enjoying singing it. Crowd ate it up. Really like this one live. Makes you hate Bayou even more.

BDTH: Haha. I laugh because Dave walked up and said...."I really like this song"...then started strumming the guitar in this cool intro. I didn't realize what it was at first...then....."MY HOUSE"....haha. My buddy even knew what this song was. Fun time.

PNP>Rapunzel: Great version...but I looked at my watch and was like "What?" Closer already?

DDTW: Love this song at the end. Gets you pumped up

Two Step: Like everyone else has said...Carter owns this song this year. The cool part was that, by this time, it was raining pretty good. Rain + Two Step = Classic DMB experience

I couldve swore they were going to bust out Halloween at the end...just had a feeling. No dice. Looking at the setlist though...maybe they should have. Show ended at 10:51 at a venue with no curfew!

Overall...great show....highlights were definitely Shotgun, Say Bye, and Stone.
    justincreekrn is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #23
    bryaba01

Shows Seen: 0

just want to say i'm jealous of your seats!!!! last night was my 21st show! i'be been that close during oar at a few venues, so i know what you mean! but for dave!!!!!!!! wow!!! anyhow, i'm pretty sure he said "Indianapolis" during Nancies!!! and i definetly think Two Step lasting as long as it did was due to Tim!!!!!! Thanks Timmy!!! I swear the band kept going because he kept going!!!! i love this band!!!!
    bryaba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #24
    wgillespie24

Shows Seen: 9

All I could say to my lovely lady all night was "I LOVE THIS BAND!" Maybe the energy came from having more true DMB fans there than just drunken twenty-somethings lookin for a party.
    wgillespie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
    wgillespie24

Shows Seen: 9

so many songs to rave about..... but seeing Alligator Pie performed live was absolutely amazing.
    wgillespie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #26
    Rogue
    Fill My Glass For Me...

Shows Seen: 68

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunder33 View Post
    And my fav. DMB song is Dancing Nancies, so it was great to get that early. Anyone know what he Dave sang - "lost somewhere in _______." Def. didn't sound like "Paris."
    Lost somewhere in Indy...

I think Tim's shades are Ray Ban Wayfarers.
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #27
    jzens
    come and relax now..

Shows Seen: 18

The Stone was the best song of the night, followed closely by Two Step.

my 9th show and was easily top 3, great show.
    jzens is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #28
    stbdmb91
    I want more dave!!!!

Shows Seen: 16

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zebinski View Post
    I must say that last night's show was one of the best crowd nights I have experienced! EVERYBODY was gettin down and participating and it just made me so happy to love this band so much. Carter and Boyd were definitely the stars of the night. Carter's solo on Two Step was the best I have ever heard him do! It was on fire and the entire ending when they kept extending it because the crowd was going crazy was an amazing DMB moment and I will always remember this night! Deer Creek has always been in my top 2 places to see them and it never lets me down. Thanks to everyone in the crowd for being the crazy, loud, great people that you are and for the band being the best touring musical act in history!
    sooo good to hear you say this. ive felt like over the past year boyd has kinda been pushed out of stuff...just IMO. but ive felt like tim kinda stole alot of boyd's solos and stuff...so its just good to hear that he was a star for once.

and sounds like it was a great show...i would also like to note that last week people were moanin about how the "big" venues get great shows...ie. spac alpine. and i guess that even more true...im anxious to see what they do up in 'Cuse o tuesday night...oh well...good show tho from what your all sayin...
    stbdmb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #29
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 74

i havent downloaded the show. did dave sing cant help falling in love during stone? or just the crowd?
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #30
    landsharkbam
    "The Shark"

Shows Seen: 61

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    i havent downloaded the show. did dave sing cant help falling in love during stone? or just the crowd?
    just the crowd, the band actually stopped playing for the most part, carter stood up, hitting his sticks to get the crowd clapping as well