Nashville Review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
jju6979
Humble Follower

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Nashville Review

Just got back, good show with lots of fan favorites. Jeff was on FIRE tonight, guess he was happy to be home.

Bartender- Was hoping I'd get this as I've seen DDTW open before. No curtain tonight which gave me hope for possibly a new opener, but this was good. Jeff's pennywhistle solo was good, and Rashawn did If I Only Had a Brain. Good version of Bartender but a little shorter than I expected

Grey Street- It's a good song, but honestly not my favorite. This was the BEST SONG of the night. Jeff and Rashawn went CRAZY!! They have such good chemistry on stage. This Grey Street rocked HARD

Satellite- Short and sweet version, but I was still reeling from the Last Stop tease. That was awesome but just plain cruel

Seek Up- Was very glad to hear it debut this tour. Jeff did a GREAT job on the intro and it was a very emotional outro, just about gave me chills

Burning Down the House- This is always fun and really gets the crowd into it. My girlfriend thought it was hilarious that Rashawn does vocals for it

Why I Am- Hadn't listened to it in any depth before tonight but must say this is my favorite new song now. It's so good and Timmy does a great job with that electric as usual. Dave told a great story about Leroi liking this song and how his face used to look everytime he heard it

ASTB>Too Much (fake) > Ants Marching- ASTB was really awesome, I knew the fake was coming and was pleased (though not surprised) it went into Ants. Great version of Ants and I love the new changing up of the number of stop-time beats

You Might Die Trying- What can I say, it was always one of my favorite Stand Up songs and I enjoyed it tonight as well. One of my girlfriend's favorite songs so I was pleased

Recently- Awesome! First time seeing it in concert and they did an extended Pretty Pretty Girl outro, the jam was very well done

Crash Into Me- It's always a pretty song but I didn't think tonight's version was anything special. That might have to do with the frat kids that were trying to screw their girlfriends around me during it

Spaceman > Cornbread - Spaceman is a pretty weird song, but it's cool. Timmy rocked the shit out of Cornbread, I always like it live.

FTWII- Very fun song! I really enjoyed it live as well

Jimi Thing- Great version with a RIDICULOUS Tim solo. Coffin also made it his bitch

Two Step- Did not see this coming since time was getting short. Good version, but Carter DESTROYED it. Best drumming I've ever seen, hands down, even from him. You need to hear it, but it won't do it justice without watching what he's doing. The man is insane.

Blue Water- I was SOOOO excited, especially when Boyd's solo started, thought we would get the full version but it was still truncated. It's coming though guys don't worry

AATW- Was hoping so badly to hear it. It was awesome! Dave sang Stairway again (turns out he may not actually know all the lyrics but that's ok). Screamed FIRE! at the end, second best performance of the night.

Overall a pretty damn good show even if most of the songs played were not "hardcore favorites" I'm going to Atlanta's 2 night stand and hoping to get Raven there.

Jeff destroyed this show. He and Rashawn are so awesome, and I'm thankful to have them both, but still miss
jju6979 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
    tparker

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Nashville Review

Dave's vocals were also completely and totally on tonight, he fucking blew me away.
    Old 04-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
    matt2053

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Fantastic show. Jeff played two saxes during jimi. Op was right on.

Good Davespeak about how Roi danced with his face. Also before recently: "I remember playing this song upstairs in a bar for Roi and Carter, hoping they'd play in a bad with me." Before Spaceman: "I'm a monkey, I'm a rabbit, I'm a spaceman."

I was excited to hear Boyd solo on Blue Water. Also the Last Stop tease was most definitely a TEASE, Dave seemed to be practically taunting the crowd.

Jeff and Rashawn were on fire and played incredibly off of each other. Grey Street was hot shit.

Also on Jimi, dave didn't sing any of the verses. He flubbed the first lyric of the song, then let the crowd sing the whole verse, then he sang the chorus, then he let the crowd sing the whole second verse too. Everyone loved it.

People were singing the chorus of FTWII.

I don't care what anyone says, Cornbread is hot live, and the crowd LOVES it. Play on.

Amazing show. It was my 16th show, and best since 2001. Rawk.
    matt2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
    Radioplay
    My conduct is bitchin'

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

We played the stadium at Vanderbilt University in Nashville tonight. Before starting Why I Am, Dave mentioned again to the audience that this song in particular was LeRoi's favorite of the new material they had been working on. He then went on to describe how "Roi's face would dance when he was getting into the music". That dance in his face always spoke more loudly than his words. Dave's imitation was perfect. We're headed for Jazz Fest. See y'all in New Orleans.

The DMB Crew
    Sunday, April 26
    12:14 AM EDT
    Radioplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
    emoro31

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone have the setlist for Mraz? Curious how he does as an opener!
    emoro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
    specialkd24

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I'll do something bigger later, but I'm exhausted from standing on my feet from 3:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Dave is having a blast. There is no doubt the new CD has brought out the best in him and the band is playing with a new meaning purpose. I think Roi's death has given Dave a sense of indeed how short life is and that you need to enjoy every minute. I'm seen him dance around before, but tonight he seemed like he was all over the place. I think it was during Jimi Thing he just went crazy on the microphone dancing around, knocking the stand around and enjoying himself.

Loved the new songs live ... loved the band energy ... loved Jeff as always.

I thought Vandy handled the crowd pretty well. We got there at 3:30, got in at 4:30ish and were about 10 yards back dead center.

FYI - I don't have a Mraz setlist ... but I thought he was awesome. I know 2-3 of his songs, but he is darn good live (at least in my opinion). Pretty chatty but a nice chill vibe.
    specialkd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
    Radioplay
    My conduct is bitchin'

Shows Seen: 60

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoro31 View Post
    Live High
    The Remedy (with Wonderwall and In the Future Rap)
    Make It Mine
    Beautiful Mess
    Unfold
    Anything You Want (I'm not exactly sure when this was played)
    {Jason made the whole stadium do the wave}
    Dynamo of Volition
    I'm Yours (with Three Little Birds)

^ found this on another site. Person who posted said Mraz was cracking a lot of jokes, was happy, glad to be back in the states.

Last edited by Radioplay; 04-26-2009 at 12:08 AM.
    Radioplay is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
    stuey222

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

It was a great show! I went into it thinking there wouldn't be a bunch of rare songs, as they haven't played Nashville in around 10 years. Bartender opener was great, it made my night. There wasn't a bad song tonight, the slowest point was Crash, but it was mostly a "have-to" as it's the one song by DMB that most people know. The horns dominated tonight! I was a bit disappointed that Boyd didn't get as many solos as the horns. I'm a bit mixed on Tim on the tour. He added a lot of good to some songs, but there were a few I wished he had sat out or played differently.

I was a bit worried about going alone, but I enjoyed it. Met lots of cool Warehouse/Ants people and had the typical setlist/DMB discussions. Hit it off with one cool girl named Jade, we were making predictions all night. I totally called Bartender as the opener. Everyone was thinking DDTW, but I held to my guns. I wasn't expecting Satellite or Seek Up, both were outstanding. Called the Encore perfectly though. Lots of jams tonight-I loved it.
    stuey222 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
    specialkd24

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Forgot to mention, don't know if it is above ... Dave let the crowd sing the entire first 2 verses of Jimi Thing without him doing it. To start it seemed like he was a beat slow in starting to sing, so the crowd started without him and he just shrugged his shoulders and let everyone sing. Second verse he just let us start and smiled at Carter. Pretty cool.
    specialkd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
    emoro31

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radioplay View Post
    Live High
    The Remedy (with Wonderwall and In the Future Rap)
    Make It Mine
    Beautiful Mess
    Unfold
    Anything You Want (I'm not exactly sure when this was played)
    {Jason made the whole stadium do the wave}
    Dynamo of Volition
    I'm Yours (with Three Little Birds)

^ found this on another site. Person who posted said Mraz was cracking a lot of jokes, was happy, glad to be back in the states.

Thanks! He's amazing live... Couldn't be more excited for vegas!
    emoro31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
    the goob

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuey222 View Post
    I went into it thinking there wouldn't be a bunch of rare songs, as they haven't played Nashville in around 10 years.

August 06 was the last Nashville show. And they played there every year 02 through 06. Ever heard of Starwood (AmSouth) Amphitheater ?

And this was hands down the best of my 13 shows . I can't possibly describe the energy that was on stage. Unbelievable.
    the goob is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 03:19 AM   #12
    soccergoblin5

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

daves scat in jimi thing was great!!!

Why I am is so good!

the show was off the hook!

only complaint is the annoying frat guys near me and the 15 year olds smoking weed...
    Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
    indyfan6969

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Mississippi State girl "Laura" where are you? As if watching DMB wasn't awesome enough, I had the pleasure of jamming out to Dave with you before your jealous boyfriend made you move. You know who I am! If you ever read this, shoot me a line at indyfan6969@aim.com.

Anyway, I've been going to DMB concerts since I don't know when and tonight was awesome. Seems like each show just gets better and better. I'm from Indianapolis and curious to see what they do up there on August 1st. Ending with my all time favorite Two Step and an encore with All Along the Watchtower doesn't get any better!
    indyfan6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #14
    tripinbartender
    Chillin...

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the goob View Post

August 06 was the last Nashville show. And they played there every year 02 through 06. Ever heard of Starwood (AmSouth) Amphitheater ?
    yea i was really confused when he said they hadn't played there in 10 years haha. i was thinking "was it just a figment of my imagination when i saw them there in 04, 05 & 06?" haha
    tripinbartender is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
    Acester25
    DMB fan 1995-death

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jju6979 View Post

Grey Street- It's a good song, but honestly not my favorite. This was the BEST SONG of the night. Jeff and Rashawn went CRAZY!! They have such good chemistry on stage. This Grey Street rocked HARD

Seek Up- Was very glad to hear it debut this tour. Jeff did a GREAT job on the intro and it was a very emotional outro, just about gave me chills

Recently- Awesome! First time seeing it in concert and they did an extended Pretty Pretty Girl outro, the jam was very well done

AATW- Was hoping so badly to hear it. It was awesome! Dave sang Stairway again (turns out he may not actually know all the lyrics but that's ok). Screamed FIRE! at the end, second best performance of the night.
    Thanks for the review.
    Here are my random thoughts...
    Grey Street has been awesome this year.

Good to see Seek Up. It's always great to hear a new version once in a while and it doesn't need to be on the sets often.

It's great to have the jam and Pretty Pretty Girl outro back on Recently.

I also hope they keep the Stairway lyrics on the outro to Watchtower. Great to see it wasn't a one-time thing.
    "One of the things about playing music for all of us is that it's a source of joy. So even if we're singing about death or loss or the end of the world, at the very core of everything there's got to be hope."~David J. Matthews
    Acester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Was the show sold out?
    Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #17
    BigHappy
    creeping up heavy

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Was the show sold out?
    don't think so. it was pretty packed but with plenty of empty pockets
    Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
    xjarchaeologist

My Tour Central Stats

The Pretty Pretty Girl out on Recently confused me. I'd never heard it before, but it was AWESOME! Jimi Thing and Two Step were amazing! Carter ripped it hard in every song, and I really enjoyed Grey Street. AATW was GREAT! It was my first show, and I'm going to go again FOR SURE!
    xjarchaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
    the goob

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe dumb, but I'm still waiting on Stuey to explain how they've not played Nashville in 10 years
    Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
    erik_in_atlanta

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Give the guy a break. The AmSouth Amphitheatre is in Antioch, TN, and he may have simply done a search at dmbalmanac for "Nashville." If he does not live in the area, how would he know that Antioch is adjacent to the big city. Life is too short to nitpick, folks!
    erik_in_atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
    Ehetland

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I thought the crowd was off. Granted, I had the worst seats I've ever had for a concert (high in section O) but we were jamming. We may even be the annoying frat guys goblin is talking about. I saw far too many people leaving before the Encore. There were a lot of empty seats by me. People sat for majority of the show and obviously weren't feeling it.

Memorable quotes:

During Seek Up: "I've never heard this song before, I don't really like it"
    During Recently: "I'm ready to leave if you are"

But the show... I cannot wait for this summer. Two nights at Noblesville look to be infamous. All the new songs were great. Loved FTWII. Already knew I was going to the love Why I Am.
    Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #22
    Ehetland

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

oh and for Indyfan... maybe you should start a "We had a moment at a Dave Concert" thread for other interested singles
    Old 04-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #23
    graceisgoneDPT
    shakin' like a monkey

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by specialkd24 View Post
    I'll do something bigger later, but I'm exhausted from standing on my feet from 3:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Dave is having a blast. There is no doubt the new CD has brought out the best in him and the band is playing with a new meaning purpose. I think Roi's death has given Dave a sense of indeed how short life is and that you need to enjoy every minute. I'm seen him dance around before, but tonight he seemed like he was all over the place. I think it was during Jimi Thing he just went crazy on the microphone dancing around, knocking the stand around and enjoying himself.

Loved the new songs live ... loved the band energy ... loved Jeff as always.

I thought Vandy handled the crowd pretty well. We got there at 3:30, got in at 4:30ish and were about 10 yards back dead center.

FYI - I don't have a Mraz setlist ... but I thought he was awesome. I know 2-3 of his songs, but he is darn good live (at least in my opinion). Pretty chatty but a nice chill vibe.
    I was cracking up during ATSB when Fonzy was over stage right doing his solo and Dave was dancing and almost got in Fonzy's way, almost fell over trying to get out of his way...
    Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
    graceisgoneDPT
    shakin' like a monkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by specialkd24 View Post
    Forgot to mention, don't know if it is above ... Dave let the crowd sing the entire first 2 verses of Jimi Thing without him doing it. To start it seemed like he was a beat slow in starting to sing, so the crowd started without him and he just shrugged his shoulders and let everyone sing. Second verse he just let us start and smiled at Carter. Pretty cool.
    Yeah, I was wondering if he did that on purpose or not, seemed like he missed his start, then tried to play it off. I seem to recall he did the same thing last summer at one of the shows I was at.

Can you imagine the feeling of standing on a stage in front of 40,000 (give or take) people who are singing your music back to you???? A-MAZING.
    Old 04-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #25
    graceisgoneDPT
    shakin' like a monkey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoro31 View Post
    Didn't really know what to expect myself but I thought he did a really good job. He is entertaining. I can't imagine how tired he must've been after running the half marathon in the heat that morning!
    Old 04-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #26
    xjarchaeologist

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by graceisgoneDPT View Post
    I was cracking up during ATSB when Fonzy was over stage right doing his solo and Dave was dancing and almost got in Fonzy's way, almost fell over trying to get out of his way...
    Haha. That was probably the best part, Stefan and Dave dancing around. It was CRAZY!

Jimi Thing was like on giant karaoke session, but with Dave himself playing. AWESOME!
    xjarchaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #27
    the goob

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by erik_in_atlanta View Post
    Give the guy a break. The AmSouth Amphitheatre is in Antioch, TN, and he may have simply done a search at dmbalmanac for "Nashville." If he does not live in the area, how would he know that Antioch is adjacent to the big city. Life is too short to nitpick, folks!
    Ok then, dad. I simply thought it was funny. My apologies for that.
    Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #28
    bigsal6

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

It was my 17th show and i thought the show was unbelievable! It was the best show i've seen since 2001. Bartender, jimi thing and watchtower were my personal favorites but was very very happy with the energy, crowd, jams and overall show!
    bigsal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #29
    americanemu25
    All Night Long

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

awesome show! bar, grey, sat, seek up to start was pretty rockin...last stop verse was nice and burning down the house was crazy!!....kinda got slow after recently but picked up during jimi and two step...first time for recently out of 13 shows so i was happy...had good seats too...it was ridic when jeff played two saxes...i saw him do it at marquette earlier this year but didn't think i'd ever see it again...if there's another show in nashville next year, i recommend camping at yogi bear...it was awesome...next stop = alpine

BUTTER!!!!!!! FLY!!!!! YAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYAaaaaaaa!!!!!
    americanemu25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #30
    sabrezs

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Came from South Bend and the did not disappoint. They were on absolute fire. We had sideline seats but moved to the back of the stadium because nobody was there, but they were great seats. Everyone around us was really into the show. Every time I go to a show I leave thinking how can it get any better...and it always does. Grey street and jimi thing were awesome, and then watchtower was brilliant as ever. Cant wait for Alpine.
    sabrezs is offline   Reply With Quote