Is Big Whiskey getting worse to anyone else? - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #151
mmccoy173

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Is Big Whiskey getting worse to anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post
I placed it just above Everyday and miles behind the Big 3 on June 2, and I still feel the same. It's a solid listen, a pretty good album but it is certainly nothing spectacular. It proves that DMB can still make a pretty good album, but not sure if they will be able to make a great album again unless they work with Lillywhite or someone comparable.

I enjoy Baby Blue, Squirm, Alligator Pie, Why I Am, and Seven. The rest of them are either decent to me (LITHOG, Shake Me, Spaceman, Time Bomb) or pretty much trash to me (Dive In, Funny, You and Me).

Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post
sure it is....Lillywhite pushed them and wasn't satisfied with anything short of perfect. You could say that's why the band parted ways with him, but that's not really the issue here.

I think Cavallo did a good job with DMB, he definitely got them back on the right track....he just didn't do as good as Lillywhite did with them in the 90s.
I'm getting so tired of reading that without Lillywhite they can never produce a good album again... really, just get over Lillywhite. Do you enjoy listening to DMB because of what Lillywhite produced for them, or because DMB writes amazing music? If DMB thought Lillywhite was good for them, they wouldn't have fired him. Get over it... you act like Lillywhite made/broke the band, so annoying to read this over and over again.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #152
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmccoy173 View Post
    I'm getting so tired of reading that without Lillywhite they can never produce a good album again... really, just get over Lillywhite. Do you enjoy listening to DMB because of what Lillywhite produced for them, or because DMB writes amazing music? If DMB thought Lillywhite was good for them, they wouldn't have fired him. Get over it... you act like Lillywhite made/broke the band, so annoying to read this over and over again.
    They can and have produced good records without him. They just can't produce great ones without someone of Lillywhite's talent. Or, if they can, they haven't shown anything resembling the ability to yet.
    Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #153
    PhishSticks40
    Sharpen them with lies.

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

The only song I don't listen to as much as I used to is Spaceman.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #154
    jas230314

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Lillywhite is who made this band and the bands sound. They can make great records, but the DMB we love requires lillywhite

11/19 and 11/20
    Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #155
    mmccoy173

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jas230314 View Post
    Lillywhite is who made this band and the bands sound. They can make great records, but the DMB we love requires lillywhite
    Personally, I like DMB regardless of who produces their music... DMB creates the music and their sound. DMB came to life as a result of their live performances, the songs were already done before Lillywhite. I don't see how you can say that Lillywhite made this band and their sound, that's ridiculous.

It's been almost 10 years since Lillywhite, no use beating a dead horse over and over again. He was fired because DMB didn't think he was a good fit for them anymore, so if you don't like their studio albums anymore, blame it on DMB and quit obsessing over Lillywhite.
    Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #156
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jas230314 View Post

Correction: The band YOU love requires Lillywhite. It's a pretty sad state to be in honestly. I'm in love with this band right now, Big Whiskey is an excellent album and I certainly hope that they go back into the studio with cavallo. Those of you at a loss without lillywhite should probably move along.
    Old 08-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #157
    mmccoy173

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbredsox36 View Post
    Correction: The band YOU love requires Lillywhite. It's a pretty sad state to be in honestly. I'm in love with this band right now, Big Whiskey is an excellent album and I certainly hope that they go back into the studio with cavallo. Those of you at a loss without lillywhite should probably move along.
    Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #158
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I think Lillywhite gets too much credit for the songs themselves. Now if we are talking an album as a whole or the sound of an album, producers have a lot to do with that. But in terms of song writing, come on. I'll Back You Up, Seek Up, Song that Jane Likes, Recently, Minarets, #34, Ants Marching, Best of What's Around, Dancing Nancies, Jimi Thing, Lover Lay Down, Pay for What You Get, Rhyme & Reason, Satellite, Typical Situation, Warehouse, What Would You Say, Cry Freedom, Drive In, Drive Out, Lie in Our Graves, Proudest Monkey, Say Goodbye, So Much to Say, Tripping Billies and Two Step were all written before Lillywhite. Now those album versions are killer and if you want to give him credit for taking a live song and making it a great album song you are correct but he didn't write those. Especially all the stuff off UTTAD or before. That was all DMB. I've listened to the songs from before 94 and they were great then. I'm not saying he wasn't a great producer for the band but they wrote great music before him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #159
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

big whiskey is very entertaining and i listen to it a lot. BUT...i just listened to every dmb album in a row and after listening to the first 3 and busted stuff...it definitely went down a notch. the big 3 gets stroked off at least 5 times a day by people on here...and after listening to them in a row...deservedly so. big whiskey definitely does not hold the mgic that the first 3 original albums held. don't think we're EVER getting it back folks. but it definitely stands up well as a great album...
    Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #160
    brobb

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lillywhite has little to do with the song quality. He was a great producer, but he also worked with what he was given. Back then, the band just made that kind of music, and after a while the band changed their style and subsequently changed producers. Since the Lillywhite sessions the band has chosen the music they want to make, and clearly they want to make more "rock" oriented music now. I'm fairly certain though, if they wanted to make folksy jazz again, they could. They just don't want to.

EDIT: I still like Big Whiskey.

Sometimes I walk there
    Sometimes, God knows, I take a bus there

Last edited by brobb; 08-28-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #161
    GLR87
    Play

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

its getting better

Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #162
    jspampin

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brobb View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lillywhite has little to do with the song quality. He was a great producer, but he also worked with what he was given. Back then, the band just made that kind of music, and after a while the band changed their style and subsequently changed producers. Since the Lillywhite sessions the band has chosen the music they want to make, and clearly they want to make more "rock" oriented music now. I'm fairly certain though, if they wanted to make folksy jazz again, they could. They just don't want to.

This is a good post. My problem exactly with people that go on and on about Lillywhite, they always ignore that the band is writing a different style of music. Many bands do this, I don't think it's strange for a band to want to evolve.
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #163
    juveboy

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jspampin View Post
    Many bands do this, I don't think it's strange for a band to want to evolve.
    Or devolve, as some see it.
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #164
    mmccoy173

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Great post. I agree.
    Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #165
    tesulander
    lovely lady

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    It seems like the more I listen to the album, the more mediocre I feel it is. Other than Squirm, Baby Blue, LITHOG, and Shake Me, I really don't listen to much of it anymore. A lot of times it takes a while to really make a judgement on an album, and I think with more listens BW is settling into a position just above Everyday for me and miles behind the Big 3... Not trying to flame, just my thoughts...
    I agree but disagree. Some of the songs are getting pretty old, like funny or spaceman but there are some really, really good ones too which make it worth it 100%.
    Old 08-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #166
    DMBartenderWI
    God is not above you

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    If by "classic DMB" you mean, anything close to being as good as the Big 3, like, in the same universe, nope.
    Yes, like, in the same universe. Sorry you can't enjoy anything past the Big 3, Mistreated. I've allowed my tastes to evolve along with the band's. Try it some time, you may just find yourself a happier person again.
    Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #167
    brobb

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBartenderWI View Post
    Yes, like, in the same universe. Sorry you can't enjoy anything past the Big 3, Mistreated. I've allowed my tastes to evolve along with the band's. Try it some time, you may just find yourself a happier person again.
    Yes, but even if you like both genres of music, the Big 3 has everything good about Big Whiskey and more. Just listening to their older albums you can tell there is so much going on in just about every song. Plus, the fact that there's actually a great deal of memorable sax and violin lines in the Big 3 puts it over the top. Big Whiskey is a very good album though, it's just no where near the UTTAD, Crash, or BTCS.

Sometimes I walk there
    Sometimes, God knows, I take a bus there
    Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #168
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I personally disagree with the OP. I like BW for the songs, but also for the structure. Putting it in and hearing grux jump right into shake me always makes me smile; then hearing an awesome song in lithog play and fade out opening into the right-off-the-bat pop of why I am is an awesome feeling. Lithog is slow and melodic then a quick transition. Personally I like the banjo outro in spaceman, thats a really cool twist. The squirm->pie->seven run is awesome, followed by the mysterious and anticipation building Timebomb. I look at it here as Timbomb closing the BW set, then they come back with two softies; baby blue, awesome, and you&me, Trash.
    Old 08-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #169
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

The songs I skip on Big Whiskey are Dive In and You and Me.....I can listen to anything else. Big Whiskey is definitely a very solid album, and almost 3 months later, its getting better and better for me. Some of the songs (SMLAM, Time Bomb, Seven, Squirm, Alligator Pie, Why I Am, LITHOG) are among my top 50 favorite DMB songs.
    Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #170
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBartenderWI View Post
    Allow my taste to get a lot worse? No thanks. That would make me miserable.
    Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #171
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

If the band did work with Lillywhite again there is no way that the album would meet the hardcore fan's expectations even if it was basically BTCS Part II
    Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #172
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    If the band did work with Lillywhite again there is no way that the album would meet the hardcore fan's expectations even if it was basically BTCS Part II
    I can't speak for the hardcore fans, but I am quite certain it has a good chance of meeting mine.
    Old 08-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #173
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Allow my taste to get a lot worse? No thanks. That would make me miserable.
    Well, you do like Ani Difranco and Tori Amos.
    Old 08-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #174
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Well, you do like Ani Difranco and Tori Amos.
    I do! But I always have, so my taste has remained constant even if you think it's bad.
    Old 08-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #175
    ShotgunDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I do! But I always have, so my taste has remained constant even if you think it's bad.
    You do have good DMB taste.
    Old 08-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #176
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    You do have good DMB taste.
    Damn straight.
    Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #177
    dmbrasil
    Yes, I speak portuguese

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm fairly certain though, if they wanted to make folksy jazz again, they could. They just don't want to.

Probably with Jeff in the next recording sessions, since the beggining of writing the songs, it will sound "jazzier". Tim and Jeff are really going well together and in the band, so IMO the next step will be having them on the writing process as well (Tim was there for Whiskey, I know) and that would change a lot of the chemistry.

Remember that Squirm was written based on a solo by Jeff...
    Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #178
    darkfwank

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I thought Whiskey was a pretty good album until last weekend, when I threw in BTCS. I guess it's not fair. BTCS to me is just perfect. All this talk about Lillywhite can never be disputed unless he goes back into the studio with them and see another result. But that probably won't happen so the argument will always live on.
    Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #179
    cntrlnydmbfan
    MATT

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkfwank View Post
    I thought Whiskey was a pretty good album until last weekend, when I threw in BTCS. I guess it's not fair. BTCS to me is just perfect. All this talk about Lillywhite can never be disputed unless he goes back into the studio with them and see another result. But that probably won't happen so the argument will always live on.

So you don't think it's a pretty good album anymore?
    Old 09-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #180
    mmccoy173

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkfwank View Post
    lol this same thing happened to me. Thought BW was a pretty decent album until I threw in the old school jams, I just get into the older stuff a lot more than BW. Deciding factor to me right now is... I pretty much like every song off BTCS, etc. and only like a handful from BW, although I'm still optimistic in BW's potential to be put in the category with BTCS, etc. Definitely a very strong album!