General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year - Page 696 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #20851
Cptn. Monkeyman
Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: General Discussion on Setlists as a Whole This Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
Genesis got better as they went on.
Different, but not better (to me). I love each of their albums, but I’d have to say my favorites are from Nursery Cryme through Trick of the Tail
Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #20852
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    They didn’t “drop” Gabriel, but I’m sure you know this. Also, it’s possible to be a Gabriel fan and still acknowledge how great Genesis was after he left the band. Phil’s solo career doesn’t hold a candle to Peter’s, but Genesis was still turning out great albums post Lamb Lies Down. Trick of the Tail is probably my favorite Genesis album of all despite no Gabriel. The next few albums were all good too (Wind and Wuthering, Then there were 3, and Duke). And then you get to ABACAB, and it’s one of the greatest albums of the 1980s. Invisible Touch is an insanely good record too, although very poppy, still a great record. It’s no “So” but neither is any other album.
    Gabriel was dropped from the equation was all I meant. I'm a big fan of most post-Gabriel Genesis, but not nearly as much as I love Peter. He is genius level musician to me, while the guys in Genesis are merely amazing.

I own most of their discography, barring Invisible Touch on 'til the last album. I used to only really know some of the Gabriel-era (Lamb and bit of Selling...) and most of the '80s stuff. Peter is another level altogether.
    My dad didn't listen to Genesis, but he started listening to Gabriel with Security. Shock the Monkey opened my ears to a voice that remains as unique as any int he history of music. Dave has that similar quality, as does Sting, Ani, Joni, JT, Ben Harper, Cornell, Sarah McLachlan, Mike Patton, etc. And these folks all have similarly unique voices as songwriters.

Anyway, I love a lot of what's classified as "pop" music, so that's not the issue. I'm just saying that I think the music was certainly less progressive and interesting, overall just not in the same realm as they went in a more pop direction. It was some of the best popular rock of it's day, but it was completely different from what was once known as Genesis. Of course, it became how they are most known and remembered around the world (and now historically).

Genesis is a great band, they just evolved away from their original greatness. The Beatles, Queen, and others just evolved to a different greatness. I feel like Dave has done the same, but I know most around here seem to disagree...and passionately at that.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #20853
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    Gabriel was dropped from the equation was all I meant. I'm a big fan of most post-Gabriel Genesis, but not nearly as much as I love Peter. He is genius level musician to me, while the guys in Genesis are merely amazing.

I own most of their discography, barring Invisible Touch on 'til the last album. I used to only really know some of the Gabriel-era (Lamb and bit of Selling...) and most of the '80s stuff. Peter is another level altogether.
    My dad didn't listen to Genesis, but he started listening to Gabriel with Security. Shock the Monkey opened my ears to a voice that remains as unique as any int he history of music. Dave has that similar quality, as does Sting, Ani, Joni, JT, Ben Harper, Cornell, Sarah McLachlan, Mike Patton, etc. And these folks all have similarly unique voices as songwriters.

Anyway, I love a lot of what's classified as "pop" music, so that's not the issue. I'm just saying that I think the music was certainly less progressive and interesting, overall just not in the same realm as they went in a more pop direction. It was some of the best popular rock of it's day, but it was completely different from what was once known as Genesis. Of course, it became how they are most known and remembered around the world (and now historically).

Genesis is a great band, they just evolved away from their original greatness. The Beatles, Queen, and others just evolved to a different greatness. I feel like Dave has done the same, but I know most around here seem to disagree...and passionately at that.
    Security is one of my all time favorites. And I totally agree, Dave has a uniqueness to his voice that is very reminiscent of Gabriel and Sting (whom I also love)
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #20854
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Dave literally turned full gray over the summer.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #20855
    DancingAngie

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

DMB forever!!! I told you guys I’d prove to you one day why this band cares so much about each of you...that day is today. 696 pages so far about the setlist- not all of it nice about the band and this is the band’s FAN site. You guys can be cruel on here. Please be kind to each other and DMB. I’ve been a fan a long time please be kind to me for what I’m about to try to explain to you. This band and crew really puts their all into the music but they are really thoughtful and caring too. I’ve been writing their customer service for like 1.5 years and they always have some thoughtful person write me back. Kind messages. Thoughtful messages. I could have been anyone. But I’m bipolar. I’m a working professional and may lose my employment and everything over this but I’m glad to see the setlist complaining kind of waned. Thanks. 1 in 5 people in the US has a mental health issue not including those with addiction issues. Going to the 2 shows this summer- seems like DMB fans are beyond happy when there and they having lots of fun. Happiness in a concert. It is like Christmas morning as someone said.
    Recently I’ve been down and the customer service emailed me out of the blue to check in on me maybe?
    What band does this? Only the greatest band on the planet! DMB!!!!That’s who!
    I am a peaceful loving person and most people with mental health issues are too. 1 in 5 Americans. Your sister, your wife, your mom, your coworker or you. Be kind to us. DMBs Customer Service was. If I loved DMB before this - it’s only more now. If the world had more DMB what a wonderful world it would be!
    PS Don’t listen to liars that say that people with mental health problems are the reason for mass shootings. It is very rare for it to be one of us.
    PSS Just be kind people to all people. Not just to DMB or other fans on here w different options than your own- just be kind! To everyone!! Like me. Be kind like DMB!
    DancingAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #20856
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DancingAngie View Post
    DMB forever!!! I told you guys I’d prove to you one day why this band cares so much about each of you...that day is today. 696 pages so far about the setlist- not all of it nice about the band and this is the band’s FAN site. You guys can be cruel on here. Please be kind to each other and DMB. I’ve been a fan a long time please be kind to me for what I’m about to try to explain to you. This band and crew really puts their all into the music but they are really thoughtful and caring too. I’ve been writing their customer service for like 1.5 years and they always have some thoughtful person write me back. Kind messages. Thoughtful messages. I could have been anyone. But I’m bipolar. I’m a working professional and may lose my employment and everything over this but I’m glad to see the setlist complaining kind of waned. Thanks. 1 in 5 people in the US has a mental health issue not including those with addiction issues. Going to the 2 shows this summer- seems like DMB fans are beyond happy when there and they having lots of fun. Happiness in a concert. It is like Christmas morning as someone said.
    Recently I’ve been down and the customer service emailed me out of the blue to check in on me maybe?
    What band does this? Only the greatest band on the planet! DMB!!!!That’s who!
    I am a peaceful loving person and most people with mental health issues are too. 1 in 5 Americans. Your sister, your wife, your mom, your coworker or you. Be kind to us. DMBs Customer Service was. If I loved DMB before this - it’s only more now. If the world had more DMB what a wonderful world it would be!
    PS Don’t listen to liars that say that people with mental health problems are the reason for mass shootings. It is very rare for it to be one of us.
    PSS Just be kind people to all people. Not just to DMB or other fans on here w different options than your own- just be kind! To everyone!! Like me. Be kind like DMB!
    glad you enjoyed your shows this year. I did too.
    Old 09-15-2019, 04:44 AM   #20857
    WillyFiddler

My Tour Central Stats

Hey everyone, new to the boards here. Been into DMB for only about a year. Got turned on to the band by my now ex (Seems like all he wanted was for me to wash his dirty laundry, got at least something positive out of dating him, lol). Really digging the Come Tomorrow tracks. I went to 2 shows in 18 and was really into the sound so I went to 3 this year. Thing is, I didn't hear as many Come Tomorrow songs. Is this normal for the band? Do they just forget about songs from year to year? Kind of bummed me out. Especially since Come on Come on and Come Tomorrow are in my top 10 DMB songs.
    WillyFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2019, 04:48 AM   #20858
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WillyFiddler View Post
    Hey everyone, new to the boards here. Been into DMB for only about a year. Got turned on to the band by my now ex (Seems like all he wanted was for me to wash his dirty laundry, got at least something positive out of dating him, lol). Really digging the Come Tomorrow tracks. I went to 2 shows in 18 and was really into the sound so I went to 3 this year. Thing is, I didn't hear as many Come Tomorrow songs. Is this normal for the band? Do they just forget about songs from year to year? Kind of bummed me out. Especially since Come on Come on and Come Tomorrow are in my top 10 DMB songs.

Yea, they were touring for the release of Come Tomorrow last year so songs off that album were played more frequently. This year we saw less Come Tomorrow songs and more of an even spread of songs off different albums.

If you haven’t already, you should check out the band’s first 3 albums (Crash, Under The table and Dreaming and Before These Crowded Streets). Most agree that those 3 albums are the band’s best work. Come Tomorrow did not impress many long time fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2019, 04:51 AM   #20859
    WillyFiddler

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Yea, they were touring for the release of Come Tomorrow last year so songs off that album were played more frequently. This year we saw less Come Tomorrow songs and more of an even spread of songs off different albums.

If you haven’t already, you should check out the band’s first 3 albums (Crash, Under The table and Dreaming and Before These Crowded Streets). Most agree that those 3 albums are the band’s best work. Come Tomorrow did not impress many long time fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info! I have listened a little bit to those albums, mostly Crash. I didn't have my own copies of the albums, so I have been catching bits of them on youtube. My ex did leave me with Stand Up and I am really liking that album.
    WillyFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #20860
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

"My ex left me with Stand Up"...that's perfect!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #20861
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    "My ex left me with Stand Up"...that's perfect!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Old 09-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #20862
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

So there’s a WillyFiddler now...did BillyMiller get banned?
    How does anyone fall for an alter this obvious?

Last edited by KevinTH; 09-15-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #20863
    Madnana
    Smoke the Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Willy Fiddler?!?!
    Madnana is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #20864
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Can't wait for FiddlerDiddler to show up as a third alter

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #20865
    YNK4127

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WillyFiddler View Post
    I feel like this is a troll.
    YNK4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 AM   #20866
    Bearclaw_

Shows Seen: 75

My Tour Central Stats

Well, tour is over and the below stats just make me sad.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 08.44.49 .jpg (46.7 KB, 59 views)
    Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #20867
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ View Post
    Well, tour is over and the below stats just make me sad.
    Same shit, different year.
    Old 09-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #20868
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

This was not a good tour. Better than 2018, but still not good.

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #20869
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

So at the end of the tour here, I feel it was better than expected for me but I also only hit a couple shows vs back when all they had were good songs I hit 10+ all the time
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #20870
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I enjoyed my shows this year, and will probably do the same amount next year.
    Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #20871
    Utopia
    Minutes and hours

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    Yep, same.
    Old 09-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #20872
    grilldanmo

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, that's what's likely for us as well. We're thinking of swapping Mans/Ford for Camden next year...but we do like the New England twofer.

This year's festival sets confirmed that they are not worth seeing UNLESS they are your only show AND you want to see OTHER artists on the bill as well.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #20873
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    same. We started planning for Alpine 2020 as soon as we left Deer Creek this year.
    Old 09-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #20874
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Failed to play 100 different songs.

That's fucking brutal considering the expansion of the catalog. At 97 unique songs, they fell 1 short of 2018's plays, came nowhere near 2015 (116), and was considerably behind 2014 (107) and 2013 (110).

Not great

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 AM   #20875
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Okay so, tour over. What follows is what I'll call my era-specific play percentages. I strip out dummy song totals (if dmb plays PNP...>Rapunzel at 15 shows, are we really considering BTCS to have gotten 30 plays?) and all teases/tags/improvs. I also place all covers/misc releases/unreleased songs into eras. Most fit pretty neatly but some not so much, most specifically sledgehammer, which debuted in 2008 but I lump into the Big Whiskey era. I am considering another pass at this wherein I strip out the 2006ish Batson songs that were on Come Tomorrow and make them their own category, but I would argue that those songs got played in 2019 because they were on Come Tomorrow, not because Dave/DMB has any particular, separate affinity for 2006. Anyway, here goes:

R2T/UTTAD era: 22.6% of the tour
    Come Tomorrow era: 17.0%
    Big Whiskey era: 15.0%
    Crash era: 11.0%
    BTCS era: 10.6%
    Lillywhite Sessions/BS era: 7.6%
    Stand Up era: 7.4%
    Everyday era: 4.9%
    AFTW era: 2.3%
    Some Devil era: 1.7%

"Big 4 era:" 51.8%
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #20876
    seanbrutus

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    Yeah, that's what's likely for us as well. We're thinking of swapping Mans/Ford for Camden next year...but we do like the New England twofer.

This year's festival sets confirmed that they are not worth seeing UNLESS they are your only show AND you want to see OTHER artists on the bill as well.
    Yea at this point I wouldn't do a festival show with them. I know the set will be something I can catch pretty much anywhere. I'll most likely do SPAC again, any regional shows near ATL, the ATL show, and would love to do Gorge. So all in all:

SPAC
    WPB
    ATL
    Gorge

That's a decent little run.
    Old 09-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #20877
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Solid tour Des Moines - Gorge, didn't really enjoy much of anything personally and hoping next year is more like '18 was
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #20878
    seanbrutus

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Solid tour Des Moines - Gorge, didn't really enjoy much of anything personally and hoping next year is more like '18 was
    In what way?
    Old 09-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #20879
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In what way?

I assume you mean the last part

'18 - Gilford, The Gorge, Boston ... had a blast at all shows, probably my favorite year as a fan and the trip to The Gorge was incredible.

'19 - Mansfield ... got into an argument with someone who was yelling at me for not standing in front of my seat when there was plenty of room and a drunk girl passed out in her seat next to mine with her boyfriend trying to help. Also had beer spilled on me to the point I was soaked and had to change when I got back to the car, took until past 1AM to get out of the lots, got home around 3AM and that was my full DMB experience for the entire year.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #20880
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Boring, predictable tour for what has become a boring, predictable version of this band. Ill do 1-2 shows next summer depending on if they actually come back to Pittsburgh. Other bands/festivals take precedence now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote