Xbone has actual games. Ps4 just kinda wobbles - Page 14 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #391
unccrombie
HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New XBox and Playstation Consoles Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
I think it is hilarious that people are criticizing the Xbox for focusing on TV. You're really missing the larger point. The games will be there, but that's just not how they will diversify from other platforms. This presentation was to focus on what this new Xbox brings to the table, we already know we will get to play games on it. Just because they focused more on the overall capabilities of the device doesn't detract from the fact that it will have games as well as pretty much the same specs as the PS4. They needed to show how they were different. They did that.

If I got this (definitely not immediately), I would definitely use this through my cable box. I think that'd be great, especially with how good all of their streaming services are already. They've proven they can do these kind of things well already.

Presentation was tons better than the PS4 one.
if you can't see this, maybe the future isn't for you anyways
unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #392
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    I wonder how much it would have cost to add that for Xbox One. Obviously the new disc format is Bluray. Not sure what format 360 uses, or what the cost would be.

Hopefully the next Xbox and PS5 can be backwards compatible if consoles still exist.
    Unless the PS4 does extraordinarily well, I don't think there will be a PS5. Between the new generation of consoles probably going another 5-8 years, and the talk of Sony being broken up into separate units...I think it's unlikely.

I also think this is the end for consoles.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #393
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    Unless the PS4 does extraordinarily well, I don't think there will be a PS5. Between the new generation of consoles probably going another 5-8 years, and the talk of Sony being broken up into separate units...I think it's unlikely.

I also think this is the end for consoles.
    I don't see this as the end of consoles at all. Twitter/Facebook/blogs are all very negative places for people to bitch, piss, and moan, complain, and try to put up crappy zingers like pictures of VCRs, etc and yell "OMG XBOX1".

I'm both surprised, and not surprised by the reaction to the xbox. Of course people are going to crap all over it. It's what they do. But I'm surprised at the specific complaints.

Backwards compatibility is really only beneficial in the first 6-12 months of a console. Sure you may play an old game every once in a while, but 99% of the time, you're playing your new games/current gen games.

People are screaming about the games. It's a few weeks shy of a big gaming expo, you'll see some games there. Of course they're going to highlight sports and Call of Duty titles. That's what sells. Those are the big guns. Launch of a console is also a good time to create strong relationships with developers, which is essential to the life of a console.

Personally, I have zero interest in Kinect and voice commands. It's not for me, but I get that it's popular with the kids and families. They showed off that tech and the new features of the xbox, items that make it a selling point for a new system, differentiate it from the 360 and it's competition.
    Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #394
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Your second point is a lot more valid than your first.

Sony and Microsoft will put out another gaming device after this one. Whether or not it is a console is the bigger question.

I wouldn't be as worried about an activist investor. Besides that wouldn't stop that unit from building another...
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2013, 06:08 AM   #395
    Doors Allan Coe
    The Whiskey Bastard

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    I don't see this as the end of consoles at all. Twitter/Facebook/blogs are all very negative places for people to bitch, piss, and moan, complain, and try to put up crappy zingers like pictures of VCRs, etc and yell "OMG XBOX1".

I'm both surprised, and not surprised by the reaction to the xbox. Of course people are going to crap all over it. It's what they do. But I'm surprised at the specific complaints.

Backwards compatibility is really only beneficial in the first 6-12 months of a console. Sure you may play an old game every once in a while, but 99% of the time, you're playing your new games/current gen games.

People are screaming about the games. It's a few weeks shy of a big gaming expo, you'll see some games there. Of course they're going to highlight sports and Call of Duty titles. That's what sells. Those are the big guns. Launch of a console is also a good time to create strong relationships with developers, which is essential to the life of a console.

Personally, I have zero interest in Kinect and voice commands. It's not for me, but I get that it's popular with the kids and families. They showed off that tech and the new features of the xbox, items that make it a selling point for a new system, differentiate it from the 360 and it's competition.

backwards compatibility is almost meaningless. IMO most people buy the new console for the new games. Sure, within the first year you might be playing old games, in that case keep the 360.

I honestly was shocked by some of the reactions I've read online. Finally my cable box is connected to my Xbox. Now you can walk in say XBOX ON and everything is in sync. To me that is a really exciting innovation, it's like a universal remote but voice controled.

When I watched the PS4 release it seemed like a good gaming system. When I watched Xbox it seemed like a good center piece to my entire entertainment system.

Maybe PS4 has more stuff to reveal, but IMO the new Xbox just seems more innovative.
    Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #396
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doors Allan Coe View Post

backwards compatibility is almost meaningless. IMO most people buy the new console for the new games. Sure, within the first year you might be playing old games, in that case keep the 360.

I honestly was shocked by some of the reactions I've read online. Finally my cable box is connected to my Xbox. Now you can walk in say XBOX ON and everything is in sync. To me that is a really exciting innovation, it's like a universal remote but voice controled.

When I watched the PS4 release it seemed like a good gaming system. When I watched Xbox it seemed like a good center piece to my entire entertainment system.

Maybe PS4 has more stuff to reveal, but IMO the new Xbox just seems more innovative.
    good posts here
    Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #397
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

For me that type of innovation is also personally more appealing because I've moved past my hardcore gaming days in the last 3-4 years. I still play, but not nearly as frequently, so the thought of a system doing more as an entertainment hub is exciting for me. And there will still be plenty of games and options to choose from if that's what I want to do. Is this appealing or perfect for everybody? Of course not. But some of the vitriol I've seen online is just absurd and completely irrational.
    Say a prayer for my soul seņorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #398
    Doors Allan Coe
    The Whiskey Bastard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mja271 View Post

For me that type of innovation is also personally more appealing because I've moved past my hardcore gaming days in the last 3-4 years. I still play, but not nearly as frequently, so the thought of a system doing more as an entertainment hub is exciting for me. And there will still be plenty of games and options to choose from if that's what I want to do. Is this appealing or perfect for everybody? Of course not. But some of the vitriol I've seen online is just absurd and completely irrational.
    I'm in the same exact situation.

I played some EA games(Madden/Tiger), a few Rockstar games (Red Dead), and maybe a some random recommendations over the course of having my Xbox. I ended up getting so much use out of the console because of the streaming media.

IMO it seems like mostly hardcore gamers and people who have PS3s are dogging it the most. I read somebody ranting about PS4s better exclusive library of games. I read people dogging the "always on" notion. For me, that stuff is meaningless.

To me the ceiling seems so much higher for the Xbox. Plus, IMO the Xbox Live interface is leaps and bounds better than the PS3 so I'm assuming that trend will continue.
    Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #399
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

gocubs wanted specs:

http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-...ation-round-up
    Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #400
    currupt3d**

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw&noredirect=1
    currupt3d** is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #401
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by currupt3d** View Post
    It's a media center now.

Most people I know use Xbox/PS for Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu, etc.

Many are eliminating cable and just using streaming services.

It's note worthy and a strong idea to further enhance the xbox with different media outlets as well.

The sports aspect is great. I dont know the ins and outs of the NFL deal, but if a system could give me access to in-market NHL games, I would buy it instantly and eliminate cable. I look forward to seeing what happens with the NFL deal. Where they go, other sports will follow.
    Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #402
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Also, I don't get the backlash at Call of Duty thing.

It's one of the biggest selling franchises.
    Old 05-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #403
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also, I don't get the backlash at Call of Duty thing.

It's one of the biggest selling franchises.
    It just isn't an interesting addition to the reveal, had they actually showed better footage of the game I would probably feel differently. Everyone knew it was coming and that it would be coming to both consoles. Time exclusive DLC isn't really something to get too excited about seeing as it has been that way for some time now.
    Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #404
    currupt3d**

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's a media center now.

Most people I know use Xbox/PS for Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu, etc.

Many are eliminating cable and just using streaming services.

It's note worthy and a strong idea to further enhance the xbox with different media outlets as well.

The sports aspect is great. I dont know the ins and outs of the NFL deal, but if a system could give me access to in-market NHL games, I would buy it instantly and eliminate cable. I look forward to seeing what happens with the NFL deal. Where they go, other sports will follow.
    Theres plently of ways to do those things, it's supposed to be a video game console first and foremost.
    currupt3d** is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #405
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by currupt3d** View Post
    Theres plently of ways to do those things, it's supposed to be a video game console first and foremost.
    It really isn't. Not anymore. And there really aren't plenty of ways to do those things without multiple devices. And the fact that it plays games is already a given. This device is to put itself in the middle of the living room experience. It has to differentiate itself not only from the PS4, but also from every other living room device as well as mobile gaming. You're missing the entire purpose.

Seriously, all of the detractors on the presentation for focusing on non-gaming things would make terrible marketers.
    Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #406
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It really isn't. Not anymore. And there really aren't plenty of ways to do those things without multiple devices. And the fact that it plays games is already a given. This device is to put itself in the middle of the living room experience. It has to differentiate itself not only from the PS4, but also from every other living room device as well as mobile gaming. You're missing the entire purpose.

Seriously, all of the detractors on the presentation for focusing on non-gaming things would make terrible marketers.

While I don't subscribe to digital cable but one thing that crossed my mind is how will DVR work for television. They were not too clear about this and it was my understanding that TV video would not be saved to the XBox hard drive and that DVR function would still require switching back to your cable box (I thought the DVR functions they were talking about was just for game footage).

When I had a cable box, pretty much the only thing I would ever watch live was sporting events, everything else I DVR'ed, I think that if DVR functions were not integrated into the Xbox a lot of these features would be ignored if people still have to switch back to the cable box to watch recorded shows.
    Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #407
    Doors Allan Coe
    The Whiskey Bastard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nieds05 View Post
    While I don't subscribe to digital cable but one thing that crossed my mind is how will DVR work for television. They were not too clear about this and it was my understanding that TV video would not be saved to the XBox hard drive and that DVR function would still require switching back to your cable box (I thought the DVR functions they were talking about was just for game footage).

When I had a cable box, pretty much the only thing I would ever watch live was sporting events, everything else I DVR'ed, I think that if DVR functions were not integrated into the Xbox a lot of these features would be ignored if people still have to switch back to the cable box to watch recorded shows.
    I'm assuming you put the cablebox output into the Xbox, then the Xbox into the TV.

I have ATT Uverse. I don't see how having the output going into the Xbox would in anyway change how my DVR works. I'm also assuming the once I switch to the cablebox via xbox my regular cable controller will still control the box which would merely be displayed via the Xbox interface.

I could be wrong, but I think that will be a non issue. I mean it's like hooking up the old cable wire from the box to the VCR to the TV.
    Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #408
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nieds05 View Post

You're right. If you still have to interface with the cable box for DVR there might be a problem. It would be better if you could save it to the drive. That will be a big sticking point.

Personally, I would totally use this thing but I have too many current games to go through so I won't be an early adopter. Think about never having to use a remote for channel flipping? "Watch ESPN"....boom there.

Wired has a really good behind the scenes look at it all.
    Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #409
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

After reading this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-and-dont-know

And based on my general experience with xbox vs PS3 this last generation, at this point, I dont believe I'll be buying an xbox one.

I'm happy that all my digital purchases were done with the Wii and the PS3, since Xbox will not transfer those games.
    Old 05-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #410
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, sucks that they can't transfer the digital games. That surprises me. Must be because it uses a different OS or something.

Everything else makes sense to me, especially if they can do the pre-owned licensing thing right. Logging in as your account to play a game at a friend's house is not a problem at all. That's a great solution.
    Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #411
    ProudestAnt
    Buck Nasty

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Has there been any announcement from Sony about the personal licensing idea? It baffles me that Microsoft would announce this for their new console if Sony isn't planning on doing the same.
    ProudestAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #412
    Doors Allan Coe
    The Whiskey Bastard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    After reading this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-and-dont-know

And based on my general experience with xbox vs PS3 this last generation, at this point, I dont believe I'll be buying an xbox one.

I'm happy that all my digital purchases were done with the Wii and the PS3, since Xbox will not transfer those games.
    I personally view that in the way I view backwards compatibility. Basically keep your 360 problem solved.

As somebody who isn't a huge gamer I find strange how huge of an issue it. I mean as a kid I kept my Nintendo while playing SNES. If I felt like playing an old game I would just play it. I really don't see the difference. Personally, I'll end up buying the new one eventually. Once I stop playing my 360 I'll just end up modding it so I can play emulators on it, like the original xbox. I mean it's worht it to have the entire NES/SNES/Sega/SG/SGCD library at your finger tips.
    Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #413
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I personally view that in the way I view backwards compatibility. Basically keep your 360 problem solved.

As somebody who isn't a huge gamer I find strange how huge of an issue it. I mean as a kid I kept my Nintendo while playing SNES. If I felt like playing an old game I would just play it. I really don't see the difference. Personally, I'll end up buying the new one eventually. Once I stop playing my 360 I'll just end up modding it so I can play emulators on it, like the original xbox. I mean it's worht it to have the entire NES/SNES/Sega/SG/SGCD library at your finger tips.
    I guess I view digital content differently, and whether that's correct or not is debatable.

I guess with the PS3 its not really an issue, but I have a lot of downloaded old games on the Wii that will be nice to port over to the Wii U, and have them all in one location.

I play those downloaded games a lot, especially in short bursts when I only have 20-30 minutes before I need to be some where else.
    Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #414
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Like anything else it just comes down to what you're personally looking for. I'm past the point of heavy gaming and alot of the XOne features sound cool to me and more applicable to my day to day than a more classic "gaming" console. I just don't think people need to get so butthurt about it not being what they want (not anyone in this thread, where people are actually decently sensible). We've known for a while it would lean more into this entertainment unit type of system. That's been clear with where the 360 has gone in the past couple of years. If people prefer the PS4, then go buy that system. The internet is just so full of insane people who are almost impossible to satisfy, and they come out in droves whenever they see an opportunity to attack.
    Say a prayer for my soul seņorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #415
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
    Like anything else it just comes down to what you're personally looking for. I'm past the point of heavy gaming and alot of the XOne features sound cool to me and more applicable to my day to day than a more classic "gaming" console. I just don't think people need to get so butthurt about it not being what they want (not anyone in this thread, where people are actually decently sensible). We've known for a while it would lean more into this entertainment unit type of system. That's been clear with where the 360 has gone in the past couple of years. If people prefer the PS4, then go buy that system. The internet is just so full of insane people who are almost impossible to satisfy, and they come out in droves whenever they see an opportunity to attack.
    I'm with you, in that I want a machine to be about more than just playing games.

I view the Xbox/PS3 in the same manor I view my phone now. I don't need Apple to say, "It makes phone calls!" I know it makes calls. It's a phone.

I know the xbox plays games. It's a console. At an event like this, I'm more interested in what else can it do?

That said, it's got a lot of really interesting features. Where it loses me is on their bigger and bigger focus on Kinect.
    Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #416
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

The XOne doesn't do vinyl, so I'm out.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #417
    Doors Allan Coe
    The Whiskey Bastard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess I view digital content differently, and whether that's correct or not is debatable.

I guess with the PS3 its not really an issue, but I have a lot of downloaded old games on the Wii that will be nice to port over to the Wii U, and have them all in one location.

I play those downloaded games a lot, especially in short bursts when I only have 20-30 minutes before I need to be some where else.
    Yeah I'm the opposite. I download games very rarely. I buy a few select titles. I don't have a Wii so I never had a chance to buy some old Nintendo games. I download add-ons to games, but never really stand alone games.

Modding the 360 will be the new thing once the Xbox1 comes out. I had mine modded a few years ago, but then MS went on a banning wave. Now the mods are so good they can't detect them. I'm sure once the new Xbox comes out they won't even give a damn about it.
    Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #418
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're right. If you still have to interface with the cable box for DVR there might be a problem. It would be better if you could save it to the drive. That will be a big sticking point.

Personally, I would totally use this thing but I have too many current games to go through so I won't be an early adopter. Think about never having to use a remote for channel flipping? "Watch ESPN"....boom there.

Wired has a really good behind the scenes look at it all.

I would only personally see a big benefit of the kinect tv features when watching football. Manually flipping through channels on a Saturday afternoon in the fall to pay attention to football games is very annoying. Outside of that, I rarely flip channels.
    Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #419
    Haiku Jimi

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Granted I've only backread the last couple of pages and I see people discussing backwards compatibility and the focus on social media/tv of the Xbox1. Has no one talked about the fact that they made a statement that you will have to be connected to the internet to play anything (or rather, if your internet goes down, you can play a single player game but only for about 24 hours at which point it will force you to connect to the internet.) Or the fact that they're doing away with used/pre-owned games?

Those are huge down sides to me.
    Haiku Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #420
    water_into_wine

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi View Post
    Granted I've only backread the last couple of pages and I see people discussing backwards compatibility and the focus on social media/tv of the Xbox1. Has no one talked about the fact that they made a statement that you will have to be connected to the internet to play anything (or rather, if your internet goes down, you can play a single player game but only for about 24 hours at which point it will force you to connect to the internet.) Or the fact that they're doing away with used/pre-owned games?

Those are huge down sides to me.
    I think there has been decent discussion on the pre-owned stuff and to be honest we don't know what is going to happen with that so we shouldn't jump to conclusions. I think they'll work out a licensing solution. Not sure if the PS4 will do either, so this could be where the industry is moving.

I'm less worried about the internet thing. If my internet goes down it means I'm shit out of luck on almost everything in my apartment anyway. You could still watch TV through your cable box.

Tags
    504 boys , rodeyiswobbled , wobblewobble , xboneon , xboneskyperickyh24