The Gorge Q&A and FAQs - Page 33 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #961
jenzzjetII
JAYSWFT

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Gorge Q&A and FAQs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
For those that have done RVs in the past for the weekend, what has been your process? Where have you booked/rented, and what type of camping/parking did you do?
In the FAQ link in my signature there are some different rental agencies listed and testimonials. You can park an RV at any level, but most will get Premiere or Terrace for RV parking. An RV pass at Wildhorse is akin to a unicorn.

Remember that it is a holiday weekend and the earlier you reserve the better. And be sure to read the fine print as you're not just paying for the rental, but mileage and fuel as well.

Gorge FAQ
jenzzjetII is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #962
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

do you know offhand if any of the rental agencies you list allow you to return the vehicle on monday? most places I have looked at do not as they are closed but if one could be found that processed monday returns, that'd be sweet.

(I'm going to do the work of reading your link too but just wanted to know if there was a quick answer)
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #963
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    do you know offhand if any of the rental agencies you list allow you to return the vehicle on monday? most places I have looked at do not as they are closed but if one could be found that processed monday returns, that'd be sweet.

(I'm going to do the work of reading your link too but just wanted to know if there was a quick answer)
    It's been several years since I've rented an RV, but return was always Tuesday and I believe that is still the case in most instances. I do know that there is one agency that allows Monday returns. I'll try to get the name from my friend that has rented from them.

Gorge FAQ
    Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #964
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

sorry I should have updated: from the FAQ, it appears that Ryan's RV in Everett is the company that allows Monday returns.

Thanks!
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #965
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    sorry I should have updated: from the FAQ, it appears that Ryan's RV in Everett is the company that allows Monday returns.

Thanks!
    That's the one! My friends had a great experience with them.

Gorge FAQ
    Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #966
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Anyone have a good travel app that can set price alerts and can notify me when something pops up?

I dont have any flier miles so ill be hunting when it gets into december/january for a cheap flight out of pittsburgh.
    Kayak will let you set price alerts.
    Old 10-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #967
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Anyone have a good travel app that can set price alerts and can notify me when something pops up?

I dont have any flier miles so ill be hunting when it gets into december/january for a cheap flight out of pittsburgh.
    Be sure to keep Southwest on your radar. Two free bags regardless if you're camping or not is a good deal. Plus if the cost of the flight goes down you can get the difference back.

The best time to buy airfare is approx 40-70 days out. https://www.smartertravel.com/2014/0...ys-in-advance/

And I get being from the east coast you want to nail down airfare asap, but unless you find a steal dec/jan is probably a bit too early.

Gorge FAQ
    Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #968
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenzzjetII View Post
    Be sure to keep Southwest on your radar. Two free bags regardless if you're camping or not is a good deal. Plus if the cost of the flight goes down you can get the difference back.

The best time to buy airfare is approx 40-70 days out. https://www.smartertravel.com/2014/0...ys-in-advance/

And I get being from the east coast you want to nail down airfare asap, but unless you find a steal dec/jan is probably a bit too early.
    Who needs to check that many bags on a weekend trip in early September? Just use google.com/flights. You can set up price alerts. When airfare hits the price you want, buy it.

People want to try and figure out what the "formula" for the cheapest airfare is. But it's way too complex to possibly figure out. I can promise you that article you posted should not be taken as gospel. Sometimes the BEST time to buy is close in. Sometimes airlines dump a ton of cheap seats into the market when flights are still wide open days or hours before departure to try and fill them up with revenue passengers instead of standbys.

As someone that travels for a living and has worked in the industry my entire professional career, and had my dad, mom, 2 uncles, and 2 aunts make their careers in the industry - the best advice I can give is this:

1) In regards to when is the best time to buy a ticket? Bottom line? YMMV. Flights change in price in real time based on market demand and are based on historical data that is kept under vault and key. Everything from city pairs, connecting passengers, competitor load factors, seasonal timing, what types of fares are sold (there are a lot of different fare codes based on how you bought your ticket, who you are, when you bought it, etc. For example, see Delta or United), etc. play a factor in the price of your ticket. Flying from PIT > SEA on UA? Did you know that someone buying a ticket on PHL > PDX on American could impact the price of your flight on United? So what that leads me to is:

2) Set price alerts on google.com/flights. Know how much you want to or can spend. When/if flights hit that price. Just buy it. Don't fuck around. You never know if some church group of 40 kids might need to book a ton of tickets in that market causing the total supply/demand curve to shift and jack up prices immediately. It happens. All the time. Just buy it, forget about it, and start looking forward to your trip.

3) Finally, never ever ever ever ever ever ever book through sites like Kayak, Expedia, Priceline, etc. Never. Same with hotels. If you see a price on Expedia, etc., switch over to the airline's website and book directly with them. 99.9% of the time you'll see the same fare to book direct with the airline. Also - sign up for the loyalty program and make sure your ticket is tied to your loyalty account. Even if you never fly, you're making your life easier and ahead of the game if weather hits and your plans need to change. Finally - download the app. Same reasoning as before. If things go wrong and you have a loyalty account, you'll likely be able to quickly change your booking in the app instead of waiting in those long lines for an agent.
    Old 10-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #969
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Who needs to check that many bags on a weekend trip in early September? Just use google.com/flights. You can set up price alerts. When airfare hits the price you want, buy it.

People want to try and figure out what the "formula" for the cheapest airfare is. But it's way too complex to possibly figure out. I can promise you that article you posted should not be taken as gospel. Sometimes the BEST time to buy is close in. Sometimes airlines dump a ton of cheap seats into the market when flights are still wide open days or hours before departure to try and fill them up with revenue passengers instead of standbys.

As someone that travels for a living and has worked in the industry my entire professional career, and had my dad, mom, 2 uncles, and 2 aunts make their careers in the industry - the best advice I can give is this:

1) In regards to when is the best time to buy a ticket? Bottom line? YMMV. Flights change in price in real time based on market demand and are based on historical data that is kept under vault and key. Everything from city pairs, connecting passengers, competitor load factors, seasonal timing, what types of fares are sold (there are a lot of different fare codes based on how you bought your ticket, who you are, when you bought it, etc. For example, see Delta or United), etc. play a factor in the price of your ticket. Flying from PIT > SEA on UA? Did you know that someone buying a ticket on PHL > PDX on American could impact the price of your flight on United? So what that leads me to is:

2) Set price alerts on google.com/flights. Know how much you want to or can spend. When/if flights hit that price. Just buy it. Don't fuck around. You never know if some church group of 40 kids might need to book a ton of tickets in that market causing the total supply/demand curve to shift and jack up prices immediately. It happens. All the time. Just buy it, forget about it, and start looking forward to your trip.

3) Finally, never ever ever ever ever ever ever book through sites like Kayak, Expedia, Priceline, etc. Never. Same with hotels. If you see a price on Expedia, etc., switch over to the airline's website and book directly with them. 99.9% of the time you'll see the same fare to book direct with the airline. Also - sign up for the loyalty program and make sure your ticket is tied to your loyalty account. Even if you never fly, you're making your life easier and ahead of the game if weather hits and your plans need to change. Finally - download the app. Same reasoning as before. If things go wrong and you have a loyalty account, you'll likely be able to quickly change your booking in the app instead of waiting in those long lines for an agent.
    People that are traveling with camping gear. Many will check their gear bags and carry on their clothing, etc. And for most of us it isn't a "weekend trip" in September. Thursday, N0, is the best time to arrive and set up camp and you're not leaving until Monday. YMMV.

Gorge FAQ
    Old 10-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #970
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Airbnb booked. 1st time at Gorge, here we come!

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #971
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Airbnb booked. 1st time at Gorge, here we come!
    I'm planning on camping so I'm just curious... how far from the Gorge did you have to book?
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #972
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I apologize if some of this is covered in the Gorge FAQ (I am going to review it again in a little bit), but I have a few questions:

1. This will be my first time at the gorge. I will be camping. My group's age is late 20s. We still like to have fun, drink...etc...but also want to take in the view (if possible, doesn't necessarily need to be by my campground, just walking distance) and be able to get at least some sleep. Is there a particular camping area I should be looking at? What about Wildhorse v. Gorge Camping? I know Wildhorse has shuttles, but does it have a view of the Gorge? What is the atmosphere there like? I don't need any special accomodations. And the plan right now is to rent camping gear.

2. I see the FAQ discusses some places to get food and supply on your way to the Gorge, but is there a convenience store at any of the campgrounds in case you run out of ice, or need some more beer or water?

3. Any particular reviews/recommendations for people that have rented camping equipment? I've already made contact with Back40Outfitters.

4. Are we proceeding as usual that the band will be playing LDW?

Thanks!

Last edited by Cscottrun; 10-17-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #973
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post

This needs to be posted everywhere, always.
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #974
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    I apologize if some of this is covered in the Gorge FAQ (I am going to review it again in a little bit), but I have a few questions:

1. This will be my first time at the gorge. I will be camping. My group's age is late 20s. We still like to have fun, drink...etc...but also want to take in the view (if possible, doesn't necessarily need to be by my campground, just walking distance) and be able to get at least some sleep. Is there a particular camping area I should be looking at? What about Wildhorse v. Gorge Camping? I know Wildhorse has shuttles, but does it have a view of the Gorge? What is the atmosphere there like? I don't need any special accomodations. And the plan right now is to rent camping gear.
    There's not much of a view at the Gorge Campgrounds, from the actual grounds. You can walk to the edge of the grounds and see the river, but people don't really hang out there. If you get up on top of an RV, you can see pretty well, but the rent-a-cops that patrol really don't like that.

If you want sleep, Premiere or Terrace camping is what you'll want. You can always go party in District 9 if you want, then retreat back to the walled off safety of Premiere when you're ready to sleep. People party in Premiere, but it tapers off around midnight for the most part.

Quote:
    2. I see the FAQ discusses some places to get food and supply on your way to the Gorge, but is there a convenience store at any of the campgrounds in case you run out of ice, or need some more beer or water?
    Gorge Campground has a general store. Try not to use it for anything but ice though, because prices are outrageous. Overbuy on beer and water. Locals will take it off your hands if you end up with extra.

Quote:
    3. Any particular reviews/recommendations for people that have rented camping equipment? I've already made contact with Back40Outfitters.
    If you have gear, just fly with it. It's not that bad, and you'll save money (lots if you fly SW.)

Quote:

Thanks!

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 10-17-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #975
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    There's not much of a view at the Gorge Campgrounds, from the actual grounds. You can walk to the edge of the grounds and see the river, but people don't really hang out there. If you get up on top of an RV, you can see pretty well, but the rent-a-cops that patrol really don't like that.

If you want sleep, Premiere or Terrace camping is what you'll want. You can always go party in District 9 if you want, then retreat back to the walled off safety of Premiere when you're ready to sleep. People party in Premiere, but it tapers off around midnight for the most part.

Gorge Campground has a general store. Try not to use it for anything but ice though, because prices are outrageous.

Thanks!
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks. I take it District 9 is standard? Have you ever been to Lees at SPAC? Based on its name, that's what I am thinking standard is like, which yes, is likely a bit too much for me if its party that runs until 6 am everyday.

Also, any reason you did not mentioned Gold camping?
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #976
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

I edited and added some more info.

Yea, D9 is standard. It'll be luck of the draw. You might be in a quiet pocket, or you might be in college molly kid ground zero. Just don't do it. Premiere is worth the upgrade. Terrace too.

I've never camped Gold, but from what I can tell, the only advantage it has is that it's closer to the venue so you don't have to make the long walk. I like the walk though, it's nice during the day to walk through the scenery and stretch your legs after camping, and it's fun after the show because everyone is drunk and singing and having a blast. If you really just don't want to do it, Premiere and Terrace have shuttles. I'm not sure if Gold has a vendor area either, and at the main campground where D9/Premiere/Terrace are, there's a big vendor area with food in case you don't feel like cooking in the morning or after the show.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 10-17-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #977
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post
    I'm planning on camping so I'm just curious... how far from the Gorge did you have to book?
    We booked at Crescent Bar. It's about 25ish miles/35 minute ride.

We are America, second to none, and we own the finish line! Don't forget it!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #978
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yea, D9 is standard. It'll be luck of the draw. You might be in a quiet pocket, or you might be in college molly kid ground zero. Just don't do it. Premiere is worth the upgrade. Terrace too.

I've never camped Gold, but from what I can tell, the only advantage it has is that it's closer to the venue so you don't have to make the long walk. I like the walk though, it's nice during the day to walk through the scenery and stretch your legs after camping, and it's fun after the show because everyone is drunk and singing and having a blast. If you really just don't want to do it, Premiere and Terrace have shuttles. I'm not sure if Gold has a vendor area either, and at the main campground where D9/Premiere/Terrace are, there's a big vendor area with food in case you don't feel like cooking in the morning or after the show.
    Thanks. This was really helpful. I pulled up this map and its make even more sense now:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...1490075158258/

Basically, I can still be in or at least relatively close to the thick of things (food trucks, partying, etc...) in premier and terrace but I'll have the option of retreating when I want to call it quits. Sounds good. And yea, looks like Gold is much further away so I'm going to rule that out.
    Old 10-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #979
    flames_theman

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks. This was really helpful. I pulled up this map and its make even more sense now:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...1490075158258/

Basically, I can still be in or at least relatively close to the thick of things (food trucks, partying, etc...) in premier and terrace but I'll have the option of retreating when I want to call it quits. Sounds good. And yea, looks like Gold is much further away so I'm going to rule that out.
    We have done Premier the last 2 years and love it. Premier is about half the price of terrace and you get a big spot, free showers, flushable toilets as well as honey buckets, free shuttle to and from the show if you don't want to walk, your close to the general store and the pivot (where the food is) and the crowd is great. Plus, you can check out D9 if you want or know people that are camping there!

#NAFDA Camp Absolutely!!
    flames_theman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #980
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flames_theman View Post
    We have done Premier the last 2 years and love it. Premier is about half the price of terrace and you get a big spot, free showers, flushable toilets as well as honey buckets, free shuttle to and from the show if you don't want to walk, your close to the general store and the pivot (where the food is) and the crowd is great. Plus, you can check out D9 if you want or know people that are camping there!
    Sounds good. You sold me. I really want to try and sort all of this out in advance, this way when the time comes, I can just hit the purchase button.
    Old 10-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #981
    axelrod

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

After doing Terrace in 2016, I will never ever camp somewhere else at the Gorge......
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #982
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

What were the price points for Terrace and Premier last year?
    Old 10-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #983
    flames_theman

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post
    What were the price points for Terrace and Premier last year?
    $390 for terrace and $180 for premier

A friend of mine made this last year for the FAQ, it should be very helpful

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...CPk/edit#gid=0

#NAFDA Camp Absolutely!!
    flames_theman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #984
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Thanks!
    In regards to gear, most of us will tell you to fly with it if you own it, but if you do need to rent Back40 is the most comprehensive place to rent. Plus you can rent the gear around the same time that tickets go on sale. REI in Seattle also rents gear, but the offerings aren't as many and they won't take reservations until August.

Gorge FAQ
    Old 10-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #985
    dewke

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenzzjetII View Post
    In regards to gear, most of us will tell you to fly with it if you own it, but if you do need to rent Back40 is the most comprehensive place to rent. Plus you can rent the gear around the same time that tickets go on sale. REI in Seattle also rents gear, but the offerings aren't as many and they won't take reservations until August.
    You can always ship it. We ended up shipping tents and other assorted stuff Fedex, it wasn't too expensive and for the return it can go ground and take it's time.
    Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #986
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dewke View Post
    You can always ship it. We ended up shipping tents and other assorted stuff Fedex, it wasn't too expensive and for the return it can go ground and take it's time.
    Absolutely. I know of folks that stay at the Red Roof Inn in Seattle on Wednesday night and have their gear shipped to the motel.

Gorge FAQ
    Old 10-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #987
    herzag17

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Are there options to obtain premiere camping passes prior to the WH sale? We are hoping to go for the full weekend.

Last edited by herzag17; 10-23-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    herzag17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #988
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herzag17 View Post
    Are there options to obtain premiere camping passes prior to the WH sale? We are hoping to go for the full weekend.
    Not prior, but after the WH request period ends and confirmations/declines are posted there will be a public sale on Ticketmaster.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 10-23-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #989
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

We stayed in Gold last year and are definitely staying there again. Sooooo relaxing and quiet.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #990
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by garagebrothers View Post
    We stayed in Gold last year and are definitely staying there again. Sooooo relaxing and quiet.
    Tell us more please. We've got tons of info on Terrrace, Premier, General, Wildhorse, and pretty much no info about Gold, other than where it's located
    dmbolp is offline   Reply With Quote