*** Official Denver, CO 2022 - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #31
ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: *** Official Denver, CO 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
From my understanding it's actually more of a crew thing than the band having their private buses next to the venue.

This is an old article about the Allman Brothers playing there in 2003.
Exactly, so scale back/try to minimize some of the equipment and pick a stretch of days not smack dab in the middle of the tour so the logistics isn't stressed.

I mean, hell, these guys play in Cincinnati one night and then outside of Detroit the next. If given enough time to plan, I don't really see Red Rocks being the biggest issue.
ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #32
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Two nights is a standard move for the big acts at RR. Sometimes 3 nights.

Tom Petty easily could have sold out Fiddlers or Pepsi on his 40th anniversary tour but he instead did 2 red rocks shows. And they were magic.

I've also heard the load in logistics for RR is a chore and a half. But ya know... Whatever? It obviously doesn't stop many major acts from playing there.
    man i wish i could have made it to those Tom Petty shows. He was an artist i saw every summer with the family from like 12-19?! we always used to do a pig roast in the parking lot with like a dozen families. it was so much fun. special music to me for obvious reasons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    It's not so much of a logistical issue that they couldn't possibly do 3-4 nights there every couple of years. Even if it meant having a scaled back stage/lighting rig.

Oh, you mean each one of them may not be able to take their own 50 ft tour bus to the venue?? Tragic.
    i was thinking how much fun the acoustic band sets from 2014-15 would be at RR.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #33
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I was lucky enough to catch N1 of the red rocks memorial day weekend shows for the 40th tour. My first and only Petty show. Im not sure why, but my parents are huge petty fans but never saw him live. They've seen tons of acts, but they never saw petty. It's their biggest regret.

It's my favorite concert of all time. My gf's mom bought us 2nd row tickets for her birthday. Joe Walsh opening was icing on a perfect cake.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #34
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Widespread Panic plays Red Rocks every year, no reason phish or DMB couldn’t do it. Guess they just make more money playing Denver. I think I’m just going to see panic there sometime in the next two years. I have been to the venue, just not for a show. I would LOVE to see a show at Redrocks.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg EA008661-201E-474A-AD23-27C52836E96D.jpg (77.4 KB, 16 views)
    File Type: jpg 6C32EDFC-D758-4F29-8371-4E21F03E91C4.jpg (75.2 KB, 15 views)
    Old 05-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #35
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

It's a game changer.
    Old 05-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #36
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Red Rocks is one of those places i dreamed of seeing a show at for so long. I used to imagine myself in the crowd on the dmb 95 recording and then countless other times during WSP and SCI sets when i would watch and listen. i made a point to visit the venue before even checking in with my friend who i would be staying with when i moved here but honestly i don't regret it. I don't remember who was sound checking but i remember being embarrassed by my reaction to looking down on the stage because i just started crying. beautiful place, but if you've imagined it for so many years, its just that much more cool.
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #37
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

I was in tears tons of times throughout the petty show. It actually started during Walsh's set when he did Take It To The Limit and dedicated it to Glenn Frye. It was me (26 at the time) and a bunch of 50+ year old men and women in tears. Such a special night.

Well said on the fantasizing on being in the audience and seeing a show there.
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #38
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    Red Rocks is one of those places i dreamed of seeing a show at for so long. I used to imagine myself in the crowd on the dmb 95 recording and then countless other times during WSP and SCI sets when i would watch and listen. i made a point to visit the venue before even checking in with my friend who i would be staying with when i moved here but honestly i don't regret it. I don't remember who was sound checking but i remember being embarrassed by my reaction to looking down on the stage because i just started crying. beautiful place, but if you've imagined it for so many years, its just that much more cool.
    Same here... I blasted RR95 in the car on the way to Red Rocks. Then when I did get to the venue I couldn’t believe I was actually there. The walkway to the venue is steep, but I was so excited I practically ran.
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #39
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was in tears tons of times throughout the petty show. It actually started during Walsh's set when he did Take It To The Limit and dedicated it to Glenn Frye. It was me (26 at the time) and a bunch of 50+ year old men and women in tears. Such a special night.

Well said on the fantasizing on being in the audience and seeing a show there.
    dude with 2nd row seats too?! i can only imagine. that's a such a cool experience for RR, especially. It felt like someone stabbed me in the heart when i passed that up and then he passed. happy to look back and remember that i saw him actually play with Steve Winwood and Stevie fucking Nicks! a lifetime of memories.

When we're old and grey, this will be the stuff we look back on.
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #40
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

100%

Seeing Petty and having him pass that fall was my motivation to drop some coin on tickets to go see the stones at Mile High last summer. This is the stuff that I view as once in a lifetime. I was super bummed I had a conflict with the Buffet/Eagles show a few years back at Coors before Glenn passed.

My parents were such an influence on my musical taste that I'm desperately trying to see the oldies before they hang it up.

I have friends who get it and others who don't. Those who don't get it makes me a little sad. Red Rocks is church for me. I'm religious about my concerts.
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #41
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Same here... I blasted RR95 in the car on the way to Red Rocks. Then when I did get to the venue I couldn’t believe I was actually there. The walkway to the venue is steep, but I was so excited I practically ran.
    i love this. i can picture it. nothing better than this moment right here!
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #42
    ISawTheBridge10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    It definitely had that "am I really here?" feel to the entire experience.

.................................................. .........................that also could have been because I was super high.

Regardless, it was an emotional moment.
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #43
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    100%

Seeing Petty and having him pass that fall was my motivation to drop some coin on tickets to go see the stones at Mile High last summer. This is the stuff that I view as once in a lifetime. I was super bummed I had a conflict with the Buffet/Eagles show a few years back at Coors before Glenn passed.

My parents were such an influence on my musical taste that I'm desperately trying to see the oldies before they hang it up.

I have friends who get it and others who don't. Those who don't get it makes me a little sad. Red Rocks is church for me. I'm religious about my concerts.
    man, i feel every little bit of this post.

I owe so much of my musical tastes to my Dad. I was probably the only 13 year old in the entire crowd at the Allman Bros show in 03', but my dad new it would evolve into the same love of music that he had when he was that age, and my god did it... what a cool thing to get to pass down.

the death that truly stung me the most with this in mind was Gregg's passing. when i was discovering music, truly, for the first time, they Allman Brothers were the jumping off point. Me and my old man were still at the last show ever at the Beacon, and that was truly something else. Hard to put into words. I didn't think it would be the last time i saw Gregg, and i tried for years after, but either he was sick, or i had to reschedule.

Long live the Allman Brothers Band

my next artist that i know i need to see fast is Eric Clapton. That night was sold out during the 07 Beacon run.
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #44
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Best venue I've ever been to. Easily.
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #45
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

speaking of cool parents, mine took me to the see the Rolling Stones when i was 15 at the TD Garden in Boston, and then let me take the next day off of school.

love you mom and dad!
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #46
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

My Tour Central Stats

oh wait that allman bros show was def in 09. man, i cant even count how many times i've seen them...
    Old 05-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #47
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    man, i feel every little bit of this post.

I owe so much of my musical tastes to my Dad. I was probably the only 13 year old in the entire crowd at the Allman Bros show in 03', but my dad new it would evolve into the same love of music that he had when he was that age, and my god did it... what a cool thing to get to pass down.

the death that truly stung me the most with this in mind was Gregg's passing. when i was discovering music, truly, for the first time, they Allman Brothers were the jumping off point. Me and my old man were still at the last show ever at the Beacon, and that was truly something else. Hard to put into words. I didn't think it would be the last time i saw Gregg, and i tried for years after, but either he was sick, or i had to reschedule.

Long live the Allman Brothers Band

my next artist that i know i need to see fast is Eric Clapton. That night was sold out during the 07 Beacon run.
    Love stories like this. I never got to see the Allman Brothers. My dad saw them 3 or 4 times throughout the years.

My mom saw the stones in like 82. My dad has never seen them and I told him he should remedy that in 2020. Obviously that won't happen now.

My mom was going to surprise my dad with tickets to Steve Miller Band at RR in August but that also got cancelled. That would have been another one crossed off the list for classic rocks bands.
    Old 05-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #48
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    RR is tiny, but i had no idea it was a venue where once you hit a certain crowd number you just say fuck it. I've seen some bands there who could easily sell out amphitheaters, and have. interesting.
    Most people aren't willing to do their job for significantly less money in a slightly nicer office. Rock A-listers like Petty are the exception to the rule. Look at the Red Rocks calendar each summer and you never see bands like: DMB, Pearl Jam, Coldplay, U2, the Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Fleetwood Mac, Foo Fighters, Springsteen, Green Day, Phish and Dead & Company on the calendar. Bands lionize Red Rocks but once they graduate to larger venues, they almost never come back and take less money for the opportunity to play there. Top tier artist could obviously advocate for Red Rocks bookings but they don't because they want to maximize their profits at every tour stop. Fans like to romanticize venues but to the artist it's a business. DMB won't be back at Red Rocks until they start drawing less than 9k at their Pepsi Center or Fiddlers shows.
    Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #49
    TypicalBilly14

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Most people aren't willing to do their job for significantly less money in a slightly nicer office. Rock A-listers like Petty are the exception to the rule. Look at the Red Rocks calendar each summer and you never see bands like: DMB, Pearl Jam, Coldplay, U2, the Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Fleetwood Mac, Foo Fighters, Springsteen, Green Day, Phish and Dead & Company on the calendar. Bands lionize Red Rocks but once they graduate to larger venues, they almost never come back and take less money for the opportunity to play there. Top tier artist could obviously advocate for Red Rocks bookings but they don't because they want to maximize their profits at every tour stop. Fans like to romanticize venues but to the artist it's a business. DMB won't be back at Red Rocks until they start drawing less than 9k at their Pepsi Center or Fiddlers shows.
    What if a big name artist were to make Red Rocks a residency for 10 dates? Could they make it worth it financially? Obviously Pearl Jam and DMB could sell out all 10 dates easily. There are acts that have made Vegas a residency, of course like Aerosmith that it must have been worth it and Billy Joel plays MSG all the time. If DMB during October of 2021 after the Gorge played a 10 date residency at Red Rocks, maybe they could bump up the price a tad make it worth DMB's while?

Last edited by TypicalBilly14; 05-14-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    TypicalBilly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #50
    ISawTheBridge10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post

Why'd they play there in 2005? At that point they had been selling out arenas and large amphitheaters for years.
    Old 05-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #51
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why'd they play there in 2005? At that point they had been selling out arenas and large amphitheaters for years.
    I think his point still stands. And wasn't the RR 05 show for charity or just a ten year celebration of RR 95 or something? And after those one off shows, they never returned.
    Old 05-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #52
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

I believe RR 05 supported Katrina. I could be wrong on that.
    Old 05-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #53
    Sniper15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Honestly, I think the only reason DMB played in 2005 is become PBS paid them to play there so they could record an episode of Soundstage. PBS's fee, and the money they anticipated making from DVD and CD sales, financially incentivized them to play there instead of a larger venue where their profit margins would be greater. I know a lot of people like to think of 2005 as some triumphant return to Red Rocks the band did for the fans, but in reality those shows were probably catalyzed by PBS reaching out to them and their desire to record a DVD at a venue with a lot of name recognition to maximize sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    What if a big name artist were to make Red Rocks a residency for 10 dates? Could they make it worth it financially? Obviously Pearl Jam and DMB could sell out all 10 dates easily. There are acts that have made Vegas a residency, of course like Aerosmith that it must have been worth it and Billy Joel plays MSG all the time. If DMB during October of 2021 after the Gorge played a 10 date residency at Red Rocks, maybe they could bump up the price a tad make it worth DMB's while?
    I’m not sure if they could move 90,000 tickets, maybe in 2000 they could pull that off but I don’t think they could now—especially in October when people would be significantly less likely to travel to the shows. The venue probably wouldn't give anyone that many dates in the summer; Red Rocks literally has one of the most crowded calendars of any venue in the country. I think you could see D&T at Red Rocks soon but the band is still a long time away from that type of venue downsizing.
    Old 05-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #54
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

I have also heard that red rocks weekend slots are booked out years in advance. Joe Rogan a few years ago (2017/8ish) said he wanted to do a Friday or Saturday night standup set at RR and they said they didn’t have any summer weekend slots available until like 2021. He said he could only get tuesdays and thursdays and he had no desire to do that.

I have no idea how accurate that is, but just something I found interesting. That would mean these EDM acts that play Friday’s and Saturday’s have been booked like 4 years in advance?
    Old 05-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #55
    ISawTheBridge10

My Tour Central Stats

I get that they may have outgrown the venue as far as popularity goes. I'm just not buying the "it's tough to get equipment there" or "we won't make enough money."

Most of the band members (according to the world wide internets) have $50+ million in the bank, and Dave is pushing $300 million.

Do something for the love of the music, fans, and venue for me. One time.
    Old 05-16-2020, 12:20 AM   #56
    credin

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    It comes down to a couple things. Pretty sure DMB does not want to do a ten night stand and pretty sure red rocks does not want to commit to a ten night stand. Its all about $$ and a ten night stand at red rocks is profitable but they can play 2 nights at fiddlers and probably walk away with almost the same amount of money. Plus 10 nights, what are they going to do play shake me 7 of the 10 nights. Its just too long in one town, even for red rocks. Its is not worth there time. I don't think it is about load in/out, it's about profit.
    credin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #57
    Nelliefj40

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

What would be the best way to get tickets for fiddlers green next year? Im relatively new to attending shows and have only purchased through ticketmaster to the Des Moines show last year. Would that be an option would you think? What might you guess tickets would cost?

Thanks!
    Nelliefj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #58
    Sniper15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I get that they may have outgrown the venue as far as popularity goes. I'm just not buying the "it's tough to get equipment there" or "we won't make enough money."

Most of the band members (according to the world wide internets) have $50+ million in the bank, and Dave is pushing $300 million.

Do something for the love of the music, fans, and venue for me. One time.
    I bet there are some people in the DMB camp that genuinely think they're doing right by the fans by not playing Red Rocks, since playing a small venue like that would mean that a lot of Colorado fans would be shut out of tickets. It was extremely difficult to get tickets in 2005, if you didn't get lucky through the WH, or Ticketmaster, you were probably looking at spending between $600 to $1,000 for a pair of tickets on the secondary market. You might have been able to get a pair for $350 to $400 if you bought early before the scalpers realized how incredible the demand was for these shows.This is the rare venue were you're literally competing with thousands of people from all over the country for an extremely small number of tickets. I don't think most people fathom how hard of a ticket this would be. In 2005, it wasn't like a modern day show at the Gorge, Alpine, or SPAC where there are like 40 pairs of awesome tickets on sites like StubHub, the week before the show, and bunch of people selling tickets in the parking lot. Even if you were a rich motherfucker, who didn't give a shit about cost, it wasn't easy to get into those shows. With platinum tickets, I suspect it would be even more difficult and expensive to get good Red Rocks tickets now. I believe the band primarily avoids Red Rocks for financial reasons but also think they might think it's better to play a venue that allows the maximum number of local fans the opportunity to see them rather than a venue where only the affluent, or the very lucky, would get the chance to see them play.
    Old 05-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #59
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I believe RR 05 supported Katrina. I could be wrong on that.
    They had the original 3-night stand set before Katrina, added the 4th for the hurricane relief.
    Old 06-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #60
    Melted

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry for the dumb question but when do tickets go on sale? Did I already miss the boat?
    Melted is offline   Reply With Quote