Buying a new Car - Page 13 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-15-2022, 08:58 AM   #361
drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Buying a new Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
According to my mechanic- yes. It's got a coolant leak/overheating problem right now that I have to fix before I trade it in later this week. From what I'm told a ~$500 job, which is worth it because they'll give me an additional $5k on the trade-in value if it's fixed.

I'm so used to the decent space of the GC that I'd struggle to get something without a large trunk or bed. And with only one kid we're not quite in minivan mode just yet.

Haha, I've already had the thought (especially because I'm in the queue for a Lightning, whenever my turn comes up- from what I'm told it could still be 2 years minimum), but I'm going to give the Maverick a solid 1-3 years and then reevaluate. First new car I've ever bought so I'm pretty pumped about it. And from what I've read, the resale value on the Maverick is fairly high due to lack of production and demand for a reasonable/smaller truck for wannabe truck guys like me
That’s right… I thought I remembered you mentioning the Lightning. I hope that works out for you. Without a doubt, the best looking electric truck to be revealed thus far. Mostly because it looks like a truck and not a spaceship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakan View Post
Cuomo for president.
drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #362
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    That’s right… I thought I remembered you mentioning the Lightning. I hope that works out for you. Without a doubt, the best looking electric truck to be revealed thus far. Mostly because it looks like a truck and not a spaceship!
    The saleswoman let me ride in it while she drove...beyond the traditional exterior, the interior is absolutely a spaceship (literally the word I used to describe it to my wife). The amount of technology in that thing is insane but it also worries me that with more features, the more need there is for repairs.

Part of the reason I got into the Maverick was the stripped down tech/features. Feels kind of like a more old school car.
    Old 08-15-2022, 12:01 PM   #363
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    According to my mechanic- yes. It's got a coolant leak/overheating problem right now that I have to fix before I trade it in later this week. From what I'm told a ~$500 job, which is worth it because they'll give me an additional $5k on the trade-in value if it's fixed.
    I'm so used to the decent space of the GC that I'd struggle to get something without a large trunk or bed. And with only one kid we're not quite in minivan mode just yet.
    Haha, I've already had the thought (especially because I'm in the queue for a Lightning, whenever my turn comes up- from what I'm told it could still be 2 years minimum), but I'm going to give the Maverick a solid 1-3 years and then reevaluate. First new car I've ever bought so I'm pretty pumped about it. And from what I've read, the resale value on the Maverick is fairly high due to lack of production and demand for a reasonable/smaller truck for wannabe truck guys like me
    I'm not saying this is untrue, but it makes no sense to me. Why would a dealership rather pay $5k more instead of just doing the repair in their shop, which would probably cost them $300?
    Old 08-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #364
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I'm not saying this is untrue, but it makes no sense to me. Why would a dealership rather pay $5k more instead of just doing the repair in their shop, which would probably cost them $300?
    Apparently when the guy that appraised it drove it, it "threw some more codes" that he was "concerned" about. My attitude is, hey, if he's willing to take the Jeep from me with codes cleared and a minor coolant fix and I can get away with that for a few hundred bucks, once that ink dries on my trade it's his problem, not mine
    Old 08-19-2022, 08:55 AM   #365
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Got this email yesterday from VW:

I reached out to the Pacific Region VP at Volkswagen regarding your reservation. He stated that there were significant delays in production thus pushing delivery dates back for many reservations. That was the reason for the change. We were able to find a matching order for you that has now been redirected to our dealership with your name on it. The car should be landing in the next month or so. We will notify you once it's here.

neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2022, 09:26 AM   #366
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    For anyone who gives a shit, I ended up getting the GC fixed for $390, and I got $14500 on the trade-in value, so well worth it. Picking up my new truck tomorrow

Also got a 3.49% loan @ 60 months from an online credit union, beat the dealership by a full % point.
    Old 08-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #367
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

I couldn't believe the % the dealership was offering. It was ridiculous.
    Took five seconds to apply though Capitol One 360, which is just an account I use to receive tips from work, and get a way way better rate.

I'd have to ask my Dad, but I'm betting the dealership adds a % to the bank's rate and that gets kicked back to them for connecting the customer to that bank.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 08-19-2022 at 09:30 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2022, 10:53 AM   #368
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

We're in an 84 month loan (fuck me), but had $14k down. The dealership got us in at 3.49%, I was happy with that because it was the week in June that interest rates shot up
    Old 08-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #369
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

84 months? Holy shit. I actually had to look up how many years that was. Yeah, I’m bad at math.
    Old 08-19-2022, 11:06 AM   #370
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    84 months? Holy shit. I actually had to look up how many years that was. Yeah, I’m bad at math.
    I think even drak could’ve figure that one out.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #371
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

84 month car loan, my goodness

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #372
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

yeah it fucking sucks.

We were in the process of saving for a newer car with a 3rd row. Subaru Ascent, Honda Pilot, something in that class...we wanted to wait until this inflation slow and things got back to normal

Wake up one morning to a text from a neighbor "hey is that your wives SUV all smashed up?" Run outside and sure enough it was. Luckily the guy left a note, his insurance handled it. The car had previously been in an accident (not my wifes fault) but was virtually worthless with the bad carfax. His insurance totaled it and gave us almost $11k which was awesome, but we still were'nt ready to buy a newer car. However we had no choice and everything we wanted was in the $40k price range. We could have gone into the low 30s or high 20s, but you're talking about a 2015 with 90,000 miles on it and they are still $28,000

84 months, $14k down, and our loan is still over $400/month. With daycare and everything else we just couldnt do a shorter loan. Luckily Subarus hold their value big time and my wife had her last car for 9 years
    Old 08-19-2022, 01:23 PM   #373
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

My Tour Central Stats

With inventories so low, no use in automobile manufactures subsidizing loans anymore.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #374
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Having no car payment is one of the best things ever, especially since I rarely drive anymore. We’ve considered going down to one car, but since neither of us have a payment it’s worth the convenience to keep both for now.
    Old 08-21-2022, 02:56 PM   #375
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Picked my new truck up yesterday. Asked my 3 year old if we should give me car a name and she chose “Bobby the Blue Truck” so meet Bobby

https://i.postimg.cc/cLg52Kyg/AD44-A...C969071-E1.jpg

For anyone wondering: $5000 down, $400/mo for 60 months @3.49%.
    Old 08-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #376
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Picked my new truck up yesterday. Asked my 3 year old if we should give me car a name and she chose “Bobby the Blue Truck” so meet Bobby

Didn't know the Rangers got redesigned. Getting major Ridgeline vibes from it...and I'm saying that as a good thing. Sharp looking truck. Not a huge fan of the baby blue, but to each his own.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #377
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I do not like trucks but this one is nice and I love the color

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2022, 03:42 PM   #378
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    Didn't know the Rangers got redesigned. Getting major Ridgeline vibes from it...and I'm saying that as a good thing. Sharp looking truck. Not a huge fan of the baby blue, but to each his own.
    It’s actually a 2022 Maverick. And that’s not baby blue, it’s “Area 51”

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    I do not like trucks but this one is nice and I love the color
    Thanks yo!
    Old 08-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #379
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s actually a 2022 Maverick. And that’s not baby blue, it’s “Area 51”

Thanks yo!
    Is the Maverick like between the Ranger and F150? Not familiar with it.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-01-2022, 07:41 AM   #380
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Finally got my plates & registration yesterday. Almost 5 months after I purchased the vehicle, and because of the ineptness of the online site / dealership, the only way I even got it registered was for them to send me the paperwork myself to go register it. Got the title, so I could see the previous owners too.

A few coworkers have started flipping vehicles - they'll put the deposits in, wait the the time to get the vehicle, drive for a few weeks, and then sell. I think you can do 7 dealers a year without a driver's license. I know a few people in this thread said they have multiple deposits down - something to keep in kind.

Also, a guy I that I'm doing some unrelated to cars business with has a small used car lot too, so I was inquiring about the business. Keep in mind, this is a small lot - selling 5-8 cars a week, and their market is the C/D credit. They finance the worst of the worst credit wise - deals that no one else will give a loan for. For those they finance, 65%+ are being repo'd. Yikes.
    Old 09-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #381
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Finally got my plates & registration yesterday. Almost 5 months after I purchased the vehicle, and because of the ineptness of the online site / dealership, the only way I even got it registered was for them to send me the paperwork myself to go register it. Got the title, so I could see the previous owners too.

A few coworkers have started flipping vehicles - they'll put the deposits in, wait the the time to get the vehicle, drive for a few weeks, and then sell. I think you can do 7 dealers a year without a driver's license. I know a few people in this thread said they have multiple deposits down - something to keep in kind.

Also, a guy I that I'm doing some unrelated to cars business with has a small used car lot too, so I was inquiring about the business. Keep in mind, this is a small lot - selling 5-8 cars a week, and their market is the C/D credit. They finance the worst of the worst credit wise - deals that no one else will give a loan for. For those they finance, 65%+ are being repo'd. Yikes.

Ahh yes…one of those places where the loan application asks for name/address/phone of 3 references? Not because they are actually gonna call them before issuing the loan, but so that they know the most likely locations the car will be when time to repo.
    MDPrompter is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #382
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MDPrompter View Post
    Ahh yes…one of those places where the loan application asks for name/address/phone of 3 references? Not because they are actually gonna call them before issuing the loan, but so that they know the most likely locations the car will be when time to repo.
    Tracker on all cars.
    Old 09-14-2022, 05:35 PM   #383
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

So my ID4 finally made it to the dealership! They said I can get it as soon as Friday. However, I have idea how much the monthly payments will be. I guess I will find out!
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #384
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Rode in a F150 Lightning on Sunday, and holy shit they're so fast. I've never been in an electric car before and it was awesome, may just change my mind on making the change to electric for our next one.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2022, 06:07 PM   #385
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    Rode in a F150 Lightning on Sunday, and holy shit they're so fast. I've never been in an electric car before and it was awesome, may just change my mind on making the change to electric for our next one.
    Just checked the specs on that…and yes..fast. 0-60 4.4 seconds. Insane 775lbs torque. Governed at 110 mph though. I have a factory performance tuned 2021 Mustang. I’d smoke that Lightning…because I can go faster than 110. Impressive truck though, no doubt.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2022, 06:14 PM   #386
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I want to see plug standardization before I commit to going electric but they're such fun cars, and most of 'em are great cars.
    Old 09-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #387
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

I'm looking to trade in my Honda Pilot. It was mostly a weekend warrior for travelling to tournaments, but now it's my daily driver, plus I travel solo to tournaments since my best friend quit playing, so I just don't need anything this big anymore.

Thinking about downsizing to an HR-V.
    Old 09-14-2022, 07:22 PM   #388
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    I want to see plug standardization before I commit to going electric but they're such fun cars, and most of 'em are great cars.
    I have no validation to this but apparently the fast DC chargers aren't that great for the batteries long term. I'll need to do a ton more research before taking the plunge
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #389
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    I have no validation to this but apparently the fast DC chargers aren't that great for the batteries long term. I'll need to do a ton more research before taking the plunge
    Sure, but just like your phone, the car's battery over time is going to degrade anyway. It's going to charge slower, it's going to have reduced range. Eventually, sure, it may need to be repaired, or maybe a few cells get replaced or something.

Already have to do that with engines though. Sometimes you have to rebuild a piston or replace injectors.

edit: a lot of the longevity data won't exist/be available for a few years. I'm very curious, but wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Last edited by daveshookme; 09-14-2022 at 07:31 PM.
    daveshookme is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2022, 07:51 PM   #390
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Electric cars will give a whole new meaning to..well, you have a dead battery.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote