How I Met Your Mother - Page 135 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-17-2017, 05:01 AM   #4021
TMoore4075
RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: How I Met Your Mother

Season 9 was not good but if How Your Mother Met Me is on, I'll watch that episode anytime I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-17-2017, 05:03 AM   #4022
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Naw Robin was always his true love. And the mother really wasn't an important
    Character in the show. Despite the name of the show the mother isn't an important part of the show so I really didn't give a shit that she died.
    Everything we did see in season 9 showed me that Tracy was for sure his true love. They were perfect for each other. That's one reason why the ending just didn't sit well with me.

Quote:
    Old 10-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #4023
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Josh Radnor (who plays Ted) on the finale:

“A lot of [the reaction] was great,” Radnor said. “I think the narrative the media got ahold of was that everyone was outraged. I don’t think that was true.”

From Radnor’s perspective, fan support was split down the middle.

“I do a lot of speaking at colleges, and people always want to talk about the finale,” Radnor continued, “so I always do a little survey of who loved it and who didn’t.”

The results?

“Sometimes it’s 50/50. It seems to be about 60/40 — 60 [percent] disappointed, 40 [percent who liked it]. Something like that. So I think it’s been overstated, people’s disappointment with it.”

Continued Radnor, “If Ted and Tracy walked off into the sunset together, I think people would have called it a soft or sentimental ending, or it was a fairy tale. But something about How I Met Your Mother was it always upended your expectations, it always made you cry, it always was not what you thought it was. So I think it was in keeping with the DNA for the show. And my suspicion is that it will age pretty well, so let’s talk in 10 years and see what people think.”
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #4024
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I never understood the love for this show. The last traditional sitcom that I found remotely funny was Friends, and even that got bad towards the end. I just never found any traditional sitcoms in the 2000s very funny. Traditional meaning a show with an audience. Same with Big Bang Theory. I will never understand why so many people love these two shows.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #4025
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    Josh Radnor (who plays Ted) on the finale:

“A lot of [the reaction] was great,” Radnor said. “I think the narrative the media got ahold of was that everyone was outraged. I don’t think that was true.”

From Radnor’s perspective, fan support was split down the middle.

“I do a lot of speaking at colleges, and people always want to talk about the finale,” Radnor continued, “so I always do a little survey of who loved it and who didn’t.”

The results?

“Sometimes it’s 50/50. It seems to be about 60/40 — 60 [percent] disappointed, 40 [percent who liked it]. Something like that. So I think it’s been overstated, people’s disappointment with it.”

Continued Radnor, “If Ted and Tracy walked off into the sunset together, I think people would have called it a soft or sentimental ending, or it was a fairy tale. But something about How I Met Your Mother was it always upended your expectations, it always made you cry, it always was not what you thought it was. So I think it was in keeping with the DNA for the show. And my suspicion is that it will age pretty well, so let’s talk in 10 years and see what people think.”
    It was more of the forcing in of Robin than anything. But even me who was a huge fan of Ted and Robin early in the series was over it by the last few seasons and it just didn't fit anymore. I've said it 100x in here probably, I get what they were setting out to do and clearly it was their plan as they filmed the kids ending between seasons 1 and 2 but they show evolved and they should have too. Robin and Ted didn't make sense anymore so they should have scraped that. And while I get not having the happy ending, it kinda felt like Ted deserved it since we really only saw Tracy for a season and she wasn't even in every episode. She was perfect and to have her yanked away so fast kinda blew but I could have lived with that.

To the people who hate the ending, if they just did't do the Robin part, would that make it better for you? And ignore season 9's crappiness, just talking about the ending here.

Quote:
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:16 AM   #4026
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I never understood the love for this show. The last traditional sitcom that I found remotely funny was Friends, and even that got bad towards the end. I just never found any traditional sitcoms in the 2000s very funny. Traditional meaning a show with an audience. Same with Big Bang Theory. I will never understand why so many people love these two shows.

HIMYM wasn't filmed in front of an audience. It's a laugh track, and while it's fairly muted, I still think it was a stupid choice to use it.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 10-17-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #4027
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    HIMYM wasn't filmed in front of an audience. It's a laugh track, and while it's fairly muted, I still think it was a stupid choice to use it.
    I meant to include "laugh track" as I know some shows use them, but that's even worse.
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #4028
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    It was more of the forcing in of Robin than anything. But even me who was a huge fan of Ted and Robin early in the series was over it by the last few seasons and it just didn't fit anymore. I've said it 100x in here probably, I get what they were setting out to do and clearly it was their plan as they filmed the kids ending between seasons 1 and 2 but they show evolved and they should have too. Robin and Ted didn't make sense anymore so they should have scraped that. And while I get not having the happy ending, it kinda felt like Ted deserved it since we really only saw Tracy for a season and she wasn't even in every episode. She was perfect and to have her yanked away so fast kinda blew but I could have lived with that.

To the people who hate the ending, if they just did't do the Robin part, would that make it better for you? And ignore season 9's crappiness, just talking about the ending here.
    You mean not have him end up with Robin but still have the mother die? Just depends, there would have to be a compelling theme or reason to make the mother die. As it stood, I think they only made her die so Ted would be free to end up with Robin. But sure, if they had made some poignant commentary on the shortness of life and soaking up every moment or something, I could have lived with it, just would have depended on the execution.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #4029
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Friends was great, but I was 13 when it premiered and while I thought it was funny, I didn't relate to the characters and what they were going through. I was 25 when HIMYM premiered, which was about the age the main characters were. It was relatable to me at that time, they were going through things I was going through at that time. Plus they made references to things I was into and it was a genuinely funny show.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #4030
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Yea, probably still better than what they did but it would definitely depend on the execution. It could easily come off as a pointless twist.
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #4031
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Actually, though, Tyler's comments made me think of something - I could potentially see the ending being more palatable if you were watching it for the first time on a binge and getting through the whole show over the course of a few months or something. Just in that the good Ted/Robin times would feel much more recent to you. Those of us who watched it in real-time went through YEARS of being beat over the head with how Ted and Robin weren't compatible.

It was still poor storytelling and not really an earned ending, but I could see it not seeming AS bad when binging.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #4032
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well I think it was relatable to a lot of people. Also, the style was refreshing when it first came out. It's being told as a story, instead of the present. It hooked people because they led with a question, "who is the mother". Combine those things with a pretty solid cast all around (not quite sure how anyone can not appreciate NPH on this show), and a show that contains some long running gags, throwbacks, and inside jokes that you only get if you've watched from the beginning and you have people coming back for more.

Everyone knew that the story telling went downhill after the 4th season, but most stuck around because it was still good enough for a 30 min slot of tv on a week night.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #4033
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    Season 9 was not good but if How Your Mother Met Me is on, I'll watch that episode anytime I see it.
    Yea, best episode of the season. Gary Blauman was decent as well, just because they brought back a lot of characters I never expected to see again.
    Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #4034
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Friends was great, but I was 13 when it premiered and while I thought it was funny, I didn't relate to the characters and what they were going through. I was 25 when HIMYM premiered, which was about the age the main characters were. It was relatable to me at that time, they were going through things I was going through at that time. Plus they made references to things I was into and it was a genuinely funny show.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Well I think it was relatable to a lot of people. Also, the style was refreshing when it first came out. It's being told as a story, instead of the present. It hooked people because they led with a question, "who is the mother". Combine those things with a pretty solid cast all around (not quite sure how anyone can not appreciate NPH on this show), and a show that contains some long running gags, throwbacks, and inside jokes that you only get if you've watched from the beginning and you have people coming back for more.

Everyone knew that the story telling went downhill after the 4th season, but most stuck around because it was still good enough for a 30 min slot of tv on a week night.
    Fair enough. Just never connected with it for some reason. I never thought it was all that funny, and I felt I gave it a fair shot.
    Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #4035
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fair enough. Just never connected with it for some reason. I never thought it was all that funny, and I felt I gave it a fair shot.
    I understand its not for everybody, and not everyone has the same sense of humor, but I just don't understand how people can say the show is not funny at all:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mla_v0q7cf8
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgwVo5zT_c
    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j227PvBNcHA
    4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXJ2KkEnlvA
    5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB8DhJaaf_4

There are so many scenes that still make me at least chuckle on a rewatch.
    Old 10-17-2017, 07:32 AM   #4036
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I don't feel like responding to y'all but y'all are wrong. The finale (and the last season) was phenomenal. Not even trolling.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #4037
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Actually, though, Tyler's comments made me think of something - I could potentially see the ending being more palatable if you were watching it for the first time on a binge and getting through the whole show over the course of a few months or something. Just in that the good Ted/Robin times would feel much more recent to you. Those of us who watched it in real-time went through YEARS of being beat over the head with how Ted and Robin weren't compatible.

It was still poor storytelling and not really an earned ending, but I could see it not seeming AS bad when binging.
    It took me over a few months probably a year 1/2 to finish the show but yes, this is a very good point.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #4038
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I still hate this finale more than any other in television history. It's made me hate the show. I still haven't rewatched a single episode since the finale aired (and I love HIMYM up til then).

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #4039
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    I meant to include "laugh track" as I know some shows use them, but that's even worse.
    They actually recorded an audience watching the recorded show to get the laugh track. Thought that was an interesting way of doing it.
    Quote:
    You mean not have him end up with Robin but still have the mother die? Just depends, there would have to be a compelling theme or reason to make the mother die. As it stood, I think they only made her die so Ted would be free to end up with Robin. But sure, if they had made some poignant commentary on the shortness of life and soaking up every moment or something, I could have lived with it, just would have depended on the execution.
    Yeah that's what I meant. Honestly even keeping him ending wiht Robin would have been tolerable with better execution. Like I said before, it was just so rushed. You went from Ted "letting her go" to him being back together with her in literally 2 episodes.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Yea, best episode of the season. Gary Blauman was decent as well, just because they brought back a lot of characters I never expected to see again.
    I forgot about that one. I did like that one too.

Quote:
    Old 10-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #4040
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoDaFoo View Post
    I still hate this finale more than any other in television history. It's made me hate the show. I still haven't rewatched a single episode since the finale aired (and I love HIMYM up til then).
    I'm having trouble understanding how one episode can make you hate a show. I don't re-watch S9 because it sucked but I don't let that affect the enjoy-ability of the rest of the show.
    Old 02-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #4041
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.thewrap.com/met-mother-s...ve-back-works/

The "How I Met Your Dad" spinoff is back on.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #4042
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just did a rewatch of this show, and watched the alternate ending from the season 9 DVD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHUs8J7x94), and honestly, I think I'd stick with the Robin ending.
    Old 02-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #4043
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

That scene under the yellow umbrella is so god damn fantastic. To not end the series there is arguably the dumbest thing ever done in the history of television.
    Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #4044
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

After the rewatch I'm trying to figure out what to watch next. I rewatched Arrested Development then did HIMYM. I need to find another comedy/sitcom to go into. I tried Community but couldn't get into it.
    Old 02-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #4045
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Seen Scrubs?
    Old 02-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #4046
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Seen Scrubs?
    Nope. I tried to watch Grey's Anatomy once but couldn't get into medical shows.
    Old 02-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #4047
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Grey's is a soap opera.

Scrubs is a medical show like The Office is a paper company show, if that makes sense.
    Old 02-24-2018, 08:36 PM   #4048
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

But holy shit, if you don't watch medical shows, I'm assuming you haven't watched House, which is one of the greatest shows of all time.

You should watch House.
    Old 02-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #4049
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

House is great. Kind of drops off a little towards the end then picks it up again heading into the finale. Scrubs is by far my favorite comedy. Its fantastic. Also if you have not seen Parks and Rec that is a must

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #4050
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Atlanta? You're the Worst?

Those are the two best comedies on TV right now.

Veep is great too.