New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 50 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #1471
ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

A good day to dream

Title - Bottom of The Last Bottle
1. Sweet Up and Down
2. Good Good Time
3. Break Free
4. Crazy Easy
5. Bismarck
6. A Dream So Real
7. JTR
8. Early Home
9. Drive Me Away
10. Break For It
11. Shotgun
12. Sugar Will
13. Monkey Man

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-05-2021, 06:16 AM   #1472
    BearambleAmble

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    A good day to dream

1. Sweet Up and Down
    2. Good Good Time
    3. Break Free
    4. Crazy Easy
    5. Bismarck
    6. A Dream So Real
    7. JTR
    8. Early Home
    9. Drive Me Away
    10. Break For It
    11. Shotgun
    12. Sugar Will
    13. Monkey Man

I’d like some new songs mixed in.

Kill the King is something I see them returning to rather than Monkey, Early or Drive

“Sweet Up and Down” on its own actually isn’t a terrible album name and seems like a great opening track
    BearambleAmble is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2021, 06:21 AM   #1473
    mquerques92

Shows Seen: 62

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post

A good day to dream

1. Sweet Up and Down
    2. Good Good Time
    3. Break Free
    4. Crazy Easy
    5. Bismarck
    6. A Dream So Real
    7. JTR
    8. Early Home
    9. Drive Me Away
    10. Break For It
    11. Shotgun
    12. Sugar Will
    13. Monkey Man
    This is a much more likely title for a new DMB album
    mquerques92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2021, 06:27 AM   #1474
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I’m happy with Sweet Up and Down and Monkey Man as they are on Lillywhite Sessions. No way do those songs sit for 21 years and live up to any expectation of anyone on these boards. The two versions of Sweet Up and Down from last year were duds and I have no desire to hear it recorded in that form.
    KevinTH is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #1475
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I’m happy with Sweet Up and Down and Monkey Man as they are on Lillywhite Sessions. No way do those songs sit for 21 years and live up to any expectation of anyone on these boards. The two versions of Sweet Up and Down from last year were duds and I have no desire to hear it recorded in that form.
    I have negative % chance that happens. Just thinking what could be the absolute best possible album they could come out with of old material that hasn’t ever been officially released in some capacity. (So can’t include Joy Ride, Beach Ball, Granny, etc)
    Old 04-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #1476
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

I hear ya. If it was a fully mastered version of a Lillywhite take + Buddy, Tim, Jeff and Rashawn, that would be more interesting. But you know if they did Monkey Man again they would cut out all the genius to it and water it down to a 3:30 version of the song.
    Old 04-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #1477
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Dave has already changed Sweet Up And Down in '07 on, that didn't sit well with people here.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #1478
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

We are a myopic bunch aren't we?

A bunch of us hear a version of a some songs and have zero tolerance for an iota of variance. tLWS JTR is by far my favorite version, but I've loved the two times we finally got to hear it 2018 & 2019, as well as various live versions from shows we didn't attend. To get hung up on a tune changing and evolving in this of all bands always strikes me as odd. That said, I get liking what you like, but acting as if all other versions are trash is, well...silly.

Such silly folks we are.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #1479
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post

A bunch of us hear a version of a some songs and have zero tolerance for an iota of variance. tLWS JTR is by far my favorite version, but I've loved the two times we finally got to hear it 2018 & 2019, as well as various live versions from shows we didn't attend. To get hung up on a tune changing and evolving in this of all bands always strikes me as odd. That said, I get liking what you like, but acting as if all other versions are trash is, well...silly.

Such silly folks we are.
    Absolutely, I wholeheartedly agree. For example, I don't get the popular opinion that Can't Stop should have kept that Middle Eastern segment, the final studio version is fine in my opinion.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2021, 10:54 AM   #1480
    Aforauer

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    Absolutely, I wholeheartedly agree. For example, I don't get the popular opinion that Can't Stop should have kept that Middle Eastern segment, the final studio version is fine in my opinion.

Studio Can’t stop is pretty good besides the extremely cringe worthy “free the beast inside of me” part in place of the middle eastern section from the leaked sessions. Absolutely god awful choice to put that in the song

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aforauer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #1481
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aforauer View Post
    Studio Can’t stop is pretty good besides the extremely cringe worthy “free the beast inside of me” part in place of the middle eastern section from the leaked sessions. Absolutely god awful choice to put that in the song

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever I hear the “free the beast” line I always think of the classic comedy “Role Models” with Paul Rudd and Sean William Scott...”TASTE THE BEAST!” lol, such a great movie.

Role Models >>> Can’t Stop
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #1482
    CrAzYEasyDMB04
    This is the Last Stop

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I hear ya. If it was a fully mastered version of a Lillywhite take + Buddy, Tim, Jeff and Rashawn, that would be more interesting. But you know if they did Monkey Man again they would cut out all the genius to it and water it down to a 3:30 version of the song.
    How do I know if they did Monkey Man it would be watered down? Terrible observation by you my brother.
    Old 04-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #1483
    TheStone91

My Tour Central Stats

Not really - look at their track record of bringing back old songs. 95% of the time they are “watered down” and shells of their original versions.

Maybeee Kill The King was better when it got brought back in 2011/2018. Other than that I’m struggling to think of any more...
    Old 04-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #1484
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post

Such silly folks we are.
    My opinion is not myopic. My personal opinion is "Sweet Up and Down" has devolved into a shell of what it once was. In that case, I do not care for how it sounds anymore. When they brought it back in 2007 I was really disappointed. A lot of the things that made that song great were missing. I don't think the Lillywhite version is the best ever, but as a studio track I am satisfied with what we have. So I have no interest in hearing them record a new studio version the way they have been playing it the last handful of times. Songs change for the better and sometimes for the worst. In my opinion, that's what happened to "Sweet Up and Down". I would say the same thing about "Grey Street" had they not polished it to perfection on "Busted Stuff".

I've gone from really not liking the new DMB, to finding some real enjoyment in it. I've been listening to some of the 2019 shows from the Sirius rips, and there's some really great stuff. The version of "Sugar Will" from Bethel was fantastic, for example. I'd even argue it was the best version I've heard since 2004. I'm not myopic and down on the band, but there are things that I would say, yeah, maybe let well enough alone. "Monkey Man", "JTR" and "Sweet Up and Down" were part of a magical gift we all received as fans 21 years ago. It would be great to see them live more and more, but let them be as they are in the studio...unless of course they want to release fully mixed and mastered versions from those sessions. That would be rad.

I'd argue it's more myopic to just accept everything that's thrown at you. I'm not overly critical of this band, and have generally leaned in their favor, but as a musician and songwriter, myself, I enjoy being critical to some degree. this band has made some interesting choices musically and professionally, which has opened them up to criticism. It's genuinely interesting to me how bands work and function, so I enjoy studying the process and find criticism can be constructive.
    Old 04-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #1485
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

I also mean not to be argumentative
    Old 04-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #1486
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I also mean not to be argumentative
    I wasn't responding to anyone in particular and was expressing a thought I had based on countless posts in this thread (as well as many others) on these boards.

Haven't read the longer post above as I'm not trying to engage any arguments either. I don't have the desire or time for that.

Also, I include myself in the "we", wasn't trying to sound some asshole. As superfans, the folks on these boards (myself included) tend to get lost in the weeds and objectively myopic about how we view the band. So many blind spots/selective perspectives.

Cheers.

Last edited by grilldanmo; 04-05-2021 at 04:44 PM.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #1487
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I could really use some new album news. Come on David where ya at?!?
    Old 04-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #1488
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    I could really use some new album news. Come on David where ya at?!?

I would be surprised if we don't get some snippet of information in the request show on Friday.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #1489
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My opinion is not myopic. My personal opinion is "Sweet Up and Down" has devolved into a shell of what it once was. In that case, I do not care for how it sounds anymore. When they brought it back in 2007 I was really disappointed. A lot of the things that made that song great were missing. I don't think the Lillywhite version is the best ever, but as a studio track I am satisfied with what we have. So I have no interest in hearing them record a new studio version the way they have been playing it the last handful of times. Songs change for the better and sometimes for the worst. In my opinion, that's what happened to "Sweet Up and Down". I would say the same thing about "Grey Street" had they not polished it to perfection on "Busted Stuff".

I've gone from really not liking the new DMB, to finding some real enjoyment in it. I've been listening to some of the 2019 shows from the Sirius rips, and there's some really great stuff. The version of "Sugar Will" from Bethel was fantastic, for example. I'd even argue it was the best version I've heard since 2004. I'm not myopic and down on the band, but there are things that I would say, yeah, maybe let well enough alone. "Monkey Man", "JTR" and "Sweet Up and Down" were part of a magical gift we all received as fans 21 years ago. It would be great to see them live more and more, but let them be as they are in the studio...unless of course they want to release fully mixed and mastered versions from those sessions. That would be rad.

I'd argue it's more myopic to just accept everything that's thrown at you. I'm not overly critical of this band, and have generally leaned in their favor, but as a musician and songwriter, myself, I enjoy being critical to some degree. this band has made some interesting choices musically and professionally, which has opened them up to criticism. It's genuinely interesting to me how bands work and function, so I enjoy studying the process and find criticism can be constructive.
    I agree with you. How can you record classic unreleased material anyways now without Boyd and Roi who are major contributors to songs like JTR and Sweet Up and Down. I'm with you SUAD and Sugar Will are both kind of "going through the motions" these days. They have the notes and the structure of the songs but the heart is missing. Maybe they can find it again on them... but over 10 plus years of hearing those live rarities, it doesn't seem likely..

JTR is still a great song, though you're not going to find a better version than the ones we have. a 2021 DMB JTR studio cut is not going to it justice.

Monkey man was never really a song. It was kind of hodgepodge of unfinished ideas with a cool riff. But it didn't go anywhere after the first minute.

I'm over asking for rare songs live just because they'r rare. Look what happened to Last Stop. I mean they played it quite a bit in 2019, but they bastardized it. I believe this is Dave's way of saying be careful what you wish for. I wish he knew that on a song like that, it's the whole package. A 4 minute version of Last Stop is not Last Stop. We like the whole story. It's like turning Shashank redemption into a TV show or something. They could probably tell the whole story in 30 minutes, but you're going to miss a lot of the details that make it interesting.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #1490
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    I would be surprised if we don't get some snippet of information in the request show on Friday.
    I think he'll say something before going into Ocean and the Butterfly. Like

"we were in the studio last fall. Me and Carter and me and Stefan. We were making some noise together and it had been awhile.. and i was thinking about the world... and we came up with this tiny song. This tiny little song. I like dis song.. huh.. "

And that will be that.

Last edited by HonestDenver1; 04-14-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    Old 04-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #1491
    TheStone91

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post

"we were in the studio last fall. Me and Carter and me and Stefan. We were making some noise together and it had been awhile.. and i was thinking about the world... and we came up with this tiny song. This tiny little song. I like dis song.. huh.. "

And that will be that.

Lmao. Spot on with the Dave speak.
    Old 04-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #1492
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

And that will be that.
    hahahaha that is too accurate.
    Whiteyxc514 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #1493
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    Ah see it would be surprising if we DO, I think. I’m really hoping he mentions it just so that we know it wasn’t scrapped- but I expect nothing.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 08:10 PM   #1494
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

PS there’s some streamy chat thing with Dave tomorrow 10am PST/12pm CST/1pm EST so who knows maybe he’ll mention it there too?
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #1495
    kevinmavs

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

The Sirius home concert thing, do they put that on YouTube as well?
    Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #1496
    Moose Thompson
    F Them Kids

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinmavs View Post
    In the past they've posted a song or two on the Sirius app but not the full performances from what I've seen.
    Moose Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #1497
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinmavs View Post
    No. But it will probably be the Warehouse download this year. You'll get a 24 window to view the video after you subscribe in 2022.
    Old 04-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #1498
    BrianDMB

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

And that will be that.
    I read that with Dave's voice in my head and its spot on!
    BrianDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #1499
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

And that will be that.
    Absolutely nailed it.
    Old 04-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #1500
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

All of a sudden I had this feeling that the new album - that we all waiting so badly - will be worse than Come Tomorrow.