3 Wishes about Dave Matthews Band - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #31
alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 3 Wishes about Dave Matthews Band

1) Fully mixed and mastered Lillywhite Sessions. Cant think of anything better than that album with sound quality on the BTCS level.

2) Roi still alive

3) They replaced Boyd with a better violinist long before he was fired OR Boyd put a lot of time into practicing so he could consistently play in key and on time.
alec is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #32
    Jake C

Shows Seen: 106

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Interesting topic I was discussing w a friend of mine a few weeks ago.
    I think DMB could continue to record and tour without Carter
    If Carter has the itch maybe he could show up at a show or three and play and then go back to his well deserved retirement.
    Certainly feel that the years of 40+ shows a summer for Carter are winding down.

- J
    Jake C is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #33
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

1) That we get another 5-7 year from this band. Even if we get less shows per year.. I'm not ready to stop seeing DMB shows anytime soon. 20 plus years into being a fan, I am not chasing songs anymore or looking for the most epic set of all time. I just want to go and hear my favorite band.. That attitude has helped me enjoy the last 5 years or so much more.. I don't compare sets. I don't compare it to the best shows I've been to. I just go enjoy it like I would go to football game.

2) I would like 3 more complete studio albums. 2 of mostly new material and 1 of the "live not live" material we've heard for so long on stage and don't have good studio versions of...

3) Either a residency at Red Rocks, or a cool small theater where they play for a month straight and we get the chance to see them in a smaller venue...
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #34
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

1. all of 1995-2000 on vinyl with digital download codes
    2. tim plays acoustic with the full band sometimes
    3. bring back the curtain drops
    Old 03-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #35
    Alexis17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    So strange that many of you want to fire Rashawn just when he reached the top of his career (in terms of performances)
    to be fair, I think everyone would have wanted to fire him earlier, just that the question was asked now, and it's not a forgiving group. So yeah people still want him fired.
    Alexis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #36
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexis17 View Post
    to be fair, I think everyone would have wanted to fire him earlier, just that the question was asked now, and it's not a forgiving group. So yeah people still want him fired.
    I was totally out of the DMB loop from 2004-2020. When I had a rental car for a week last year with Sirius radio in it, it was really my 1st time hearing a lot of post-2004 (and more importantly post-2008) versions of songs.

I definitely would be able to quickly tell whether it was a pre- or post-2008 version, and as much as I love Jeff Coffin the post-2008 versions are not my thing, but it's interesting to hear some literally want to "fire Rashawn". Is that because people think he's bad? Or he's skilled but not the sound that works for DMB songs? Or what is most behind the ideas that he should go?
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #37
    Alexis17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    I was totally out of the DMB loop from 2004-2020. When I had a rental car for a week last year with Sirius radio in it, it was really my 1st time hearing a lot of post-2004 (and more importantly post-2008) versions of songs.

I definitely would be able to quickly tell whether it was a pre- or post-2008 version, and as much as I love Jeff Coffin the post-2008 versions are not my thing, but it's interesting to hear some literally want to "fire Rashawn". Is that because people think he's bad? Or he's skilled but not the sound that works for DMB songs? Or what is most behind the ideas that he should go?
    I think it comes to for most people that think that way (not saying I agree):

1.) he's not the most skilled, he hits clams all over the place, and generally like all trumpet players, he shoots for notes 1 skill level above himself and loves a good off-key shrieking final note of every song.

2.) the trumpet sound just isn't DMB, it's a guest horn sound.

3.) he takes a lot of blame for the horns going from a play what you feel when you feel it, to canned lines. Even though, it's not really true. Roi pushed for that sound, and he and Jeff still make up their own harmonies and rhythms on the fly, you can see them working it out during songs. Obviously they do still have the "canned" lines in songs as well.

4.) The biggest sin to the group was when he, a non-original member, started playing a role in the band this type of group didn't feel he earned. The main offense - jokingly being called the Musical Director for coming up with ideas that this type of group loved like the 2010 segues.

5.) Doing what everyone here would do, blocking trolls on social media.

oh and I forgot:

6.) This one time he did an interview and it sounded like he had a Caribbean accent even though he was born in the Virgin Islands and probably does still talk that way, just not all the time.

Last edited by Alexis17; 03-15-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    Old 03-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #38
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake C View Post
    Interesting topic I was discussing w a friend of mine a few weeks ago.
    I think DMB could continue to record and tour without Carter
    If Carter has the itch maybe he could show up at a show or three and play and then go back to his well deserved retirement.
    Certainly feel that the years of 40+ shows a summer for Carter are winding down.

- J
    Nope. Not with me as a fan. Unless they change the name of the band. It could officially be Dave and Friends forever at that point and I'd be fine with it. But no DMB.
    Old 03-15-2021, 02:05 PM   #39
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1.) he's not the most skilled, he hits clams all over the place, and generally like all trumpet players, he shoots for notes 1 skill level above himself and loves a good off-key shrieking final note of every song.

3.) he takes a lot of blame for the horns going from a play what you feel when you feel it, to canned lines. Even though, it's not really true. Roi pushed for that sound, and he and Jeff still make up their own harmonies and rhythms on the fly, you can see them working it out during songs. Obviously they do still have the "canned" lines in songs as well.

4.) The biggest sin to the group was when he, a non-original member, started playing a role in the band this type of group didn't feel he earned. The main offense - jokingly being called the Musical Director for coming up with ideas that this type of group loved like the 2010 segues.

oh and I forgot:

6.) This one time he did an interview and it sounded like he had a Caribbean accent even though he was born in the Virgin Islands and probably does still talk that way, just not all the time.

All these people should have quit listening after the 08 tour then.. That's a long time to hate someone in your favorite band..
    Old 03-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #40
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

oh and I forgot:

Very interesting list!

1, 2 & 3 sound like legit reasons to at least not be a big fan of his, if not to feel he shouldn't be a regular band member.

4, 5 & 6 are pretty petty-sounding though, which is unfortunate. Especially the accent part, did people really complain about him being foreign-born or having a little accent? That would be so contrary to what I see DMB as being about, to have THAT as a "problem" with Rashawn...

Thanks for explaining all that, appreciated!
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #41
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

While I have my gripes with Rashawn, I don't want him out of the band. He is the musical director, in some way, at least. That's definitely evident just by watching the stage (and from some of the behind the scenes videos). There are certainly times where he's overpowering (like Tim) or rattles off crazy notes that don't sound amazing, but it's never been something that has really bothered me enough to want him gone.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #42
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alec View Post
    1) Fully mixed and mastered Lillywhite Sessions. Cant think of anything better than that album with sound quality on the BTCS level.

2) Roi still alive

3) They replaced Boyd with a better violinist long before he was fired OR Boyd put a lot of time into practicing so he could consistently play in key and on time.
    Good list. But come on, if you’re gonna have Leroi escaping death or being resurrected, it’s gotta be #1.
    Old 03-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #43
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

1. D&t only
    2. If band plays, do all acoustic style sets
    3. More vinyl
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #44
    alec

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    Good list. But come on, if you’re gonna have Leroi escaping death or being resurrected, it’s gotta be #1.
    Agreed. I didn’t really write it in order of how much I want each wish
    alec is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2021, 10:47 PM   #45
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    While I have my gripes with Rashawn, I don't want him out of the band. He is the musical director, in some way, at least. That's definitely evident just by watching the stage (and from some of the behind the scenes videos). There are certainly times where he's overpowering (like Tim) or rattles off crazy notes that don't sound amazing, but it's never been something that has really bothered me enough to want him gone.

If you ever remember where exactly, I am curious to watch those and see what you are referring to
    Old 03-16-2021, 03:22 AM   #46
    benney

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

1. More new music. Interesting most people haven't wished for this. I'd be happy to have some 'musical sketches' or soundscape jams without needing them to be 'songs'.
    2. A rarities box set.
    3. The band continue to tour (UK dates, please!)

I don't understand the Rawshawn hate. I think he's brought some of the most beautiful melodic moments in later era DMB. I feel like there's some 'Yoko Ono syndrome' at play.
    benney is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 05:46 AM   #47
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you ever remember where exactly, I am curious to watch those and see what you are referring to

Just off the top of my head, at SPAC in 2018 during Raven you can see Rashawn directing Buddy from across the stage during the intro. During the 2010 tour, he was responsible for a lot of the crazy segues. You can see him create one in the Hartford Hello Again video. There’s tons more I’d just have to dig through YouTube for them. Also, I’m pretty sure Dave recently said in an interview, when asked how he decides what songs to bring back, “Rashawn.” Lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ5QbDrilTY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GOiXJKgYxlM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old 03-16-2021, 06:13 AM   #48
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benney View Post
    I don't understand the Rawshawn hate. I think he's brought some of the most beautiful melodic moments in later era DMB. I feel like there's some 'Yoko Ono syndrome' at play.

A lot of his quieter and muted playing is excellent, his predictable high pitch solos aren't as much
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 06:30 AM   #49
    ISawTheBridge10

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    1. all of 1995-2000 on vinyl with digital download codes
    2. tim plays acoustic with the full band sometimes
    3. bring back the curtain drops
    Tim should play acoustic most of the time. I would say that they could do that with most of the catalogue pre-Big Whiskey.

I've said before, too, I'd like to see Tim on the Dobro. I think the resonator sound would be good for an electric substitute on something like #41.
    ISawTheBridge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #50
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    Just off the top of my head, at SPAC in 2018 during Raven you can see Rashawn directing Buddy from across the stage during the intro. During the 2010 tour, he was responsible for a lot of the crazy segues. You can see him create one in the Hartford Hello Again video. There’s tons more I’d just have to dig through YouTube for them. Also, I’m pretty sure Dave recently said in an interview, when asked how he decides what songs to bring back, “Rashawn.” Lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ5QbDrilTY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GOiXJKgYxlM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot bud.
    So basically at minute 3’ of Hello Again documentary everyone in the band is saying that he has in his mind everyone’s parts and that he is a kind of genius. He makes up most improvisations ideas and segues (which are the part of the band that I love more), a bit like Roi was doing before.

But people want him fired.

I will never understand some radical opinions.
    Old 03-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #51
    HonestDenver1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ISawTheBridge10 View Post
    Tim should play acoustic most of the time. I would say that they could do that with most of the catalogue pre-Big Whiskey.

I've said before, too, I'd like to see Tim on the Dobro. I think the resonator sound would be good for an electric substitute on something like #41.
    Definitely agree. It just shows how much Dave wants to be a loud "rock" band these days. He gave the acoustic sets a try and it just didn't work all that well. Definitely some good shows in there, but similar to Dave & Tim it just doesn't work with 20,000 people looking to party... You need some louder instruments.. But I don't get 13 years on why a couple songs in the set don't ever see Tim pick up the acoustic...

A song like Samurai Cop would be perfect. Dave on Electric, Tim on acoustic to fill out the sound a bit... Certainly never a need for 2 electrics on stage which has been happening frequently..
    Old 03-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #52
    JZ4140

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

1. That they move away from the heavier, electrified sound and back into more of a softer, jazzier sound. More LWS Captain, less She.
    2. That they move away from classic rock covers (Sweet Emotion, Fly Like An Eagle) and, when they do play covers, focus on lesser-known songs (The Maker).
    3. That they get back into the rhythm of releasing an album (or at least an EP) every 2-3 years.
    JZ4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #53
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JZ4140 View Post
    1. That they move away from the heavier, electrified sound and back into more of a softer, jazzier sound. More LWS Captain, less She.
    2. That they move away from classic rock covers (Sweet Emotion, Fly Like An Eagle) and, when they do play covers, focus on lesser-known songs (The Maker).
    3. That they get back into the rhythm of releasing an album (or at least an EP) every 2-3 years.

I am digging all those.

She is my less favorite of Come Tomorrow, and a 2⭐️ on the newer live broadcasts. Is one of my skips, often.

In terms of covers also Starway to Heaven.... mmmh I’d prefer something else. I love what Phish did with “Oh, Sweet Nuthin’” from the Velvet Underground. They could do some Velvet too. But there is plenty of great music to cover.

Also, for the imaginary venue, another concert in Central Park wouldn’t be that bad.
    Old 03-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #54
    Cscottrun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thanks a lot bud.
    So basically at minute 3’ of Hello Again documentary everyone in the band is saying that he has in his mind everyone’s parts and that he is a kind of genius. He makes up most improvisations ideas and segues (which are the part of the band that I love more), a bit like Roi was doing before.

But people want him fired.

I will never understand some radical opinions.
    Yea. Honestly, I didn't rewatch the Hello Again video until just now. I forgot about the little interview afterwards where several of the members pretty much state how important Rashawn is.

Also, another one, and I'm not sure which youtube videos will show this the best, but in Dallas in 2019, when they brought back JTR, it was Rashawn who really pushed for it and who Dave looked to for refreshers mid show when deciding if he could actually do it. The interaction was pretty evident on some of the videos I watched of it.

Also, side note, that 2010 was so awesome. I was at that Hartford show, and many others in 2010, and there was definitely a different level of energy in the crowd and on stage for each show. I really hope one day the Hartford two night stand from that summer tour (opening shows with tons of liberations) gets released.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 03-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.
    Old 03-17-2021, 04:59 AM   #55
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

My Tour Central Stats

1. D&T/Dave, Carter, Stefan, & Tim studio album, all new songs, all acoustic
    2. Bring back a violin
    3. Small venue acoustic tour

Bonus:
    1. 2003 D&T Elliot Hall release
    2. The Globe Theater in London would be a totally unique place to see them.
    jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 05:54 AM   #56
    kidjoey

Shows Seen: 152

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Come on folks.....

1. get the fuck out of bed with Ticketmaster and “Platinum” tickets, Phish has them too but most expensive are around $150 each while DM3 are like $500 or more.

2. Bring back opening bands, the same way that they got there break

3. NYE show, or another free show
    kidjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #57
    Alexis17

My Tour Central Stats

I assume I'm living in a world where all your wishes have already come true, and I still get to make a few other "quality of life" improvements:

1. Replace the teleprompter with being able to sing all the lyrics with the accuracy of most other artists. The teleprompter gets us more song rotation, but Dave is looking at the lyrics like 75% of the time he's singing. He squints and side-eyes them and loses his unique quirks and interaction with the audience, plus all improv is gone. I was watching the Warehouse 9.7.19 video and it's distracting how much he looks at it and has lost connection.

2. Restart of the DMBlive series. The Sirius streams are making this a little bit better. But having a monthly release would be awesome.

3. Download codes with all physical purchases. It costs $7 in shipping to get my Live Trax order within 7 days of release. I feel like the Pony Express still delivering mail from the Warehouse. There has to be a better way. But if I were e-mailed a download code on release day, they can take as long as they want to get it to me.
    Old 03-17-2021, 08:10 AM   #58
    Alexis17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kidjoey View Post
    Come on folks.....

1. get the fuck out of bed with Ticketmaster and “Platinum” tickets, Phish has them too but most expensive are around $150 each while DM3 are like $500 or more.
    But when comparing bands, the Warehouse makes it so much easier to get tickets, and decent tickets. I end up paying $300 per ticket for Phish because I never have good luck with their purchases. With DMB I always have a chance at great tickets. It requires 4 friends requesting tickets to the same show for me to even get in the door for face at Phish.
    Old 03-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #59
    JZ4140

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1. Replace the teleprompter with being able to sing all the lyrics with the accuracy of most other artists. The teleprompter gets us more song rotation, but Dave is looking at the lyrics like 75% of the time he's singing. He squints and side-eyes them and loses his unique quirks and interaction with the audience, plus all improv is gone. I was watching the Warehouse 9.7.19 video and it's distracting how much he looks at it and has lost connection.
    The teleprompter point is a really good one. I agree with all of this. So many of the songs' lyrics border on the line of improv anyway.

It was also super distracting to see Carter drumming along to the Last Stop lyrics on the 7.20.2019 webcast.
    JZ4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #60
    dmbclstj2

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

1) Ditch Ross and Coffin and replace with just Branford
    2) Add a competent violin player
    3) Dave switches back to an actual good sounding guitar (Taylor/Martin)
    dmbclstj2 is offline   Reply With Quote