ON THE ROAD - Tell Us about your Dave Matthews Adventures - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #1
Xcacel
Huge Carter's fan

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

ON THE ROAD - Tell Us about your Dave Matthews Adventures

Hello Ants! Most of you might know Jack Kerouac’s book: two friends that embark a long journey the United States from east to west, meeting the most extravagant people and making the craziest shit. Only wild and pure life.

The idea came to me during these strange days, thinking back to the days when going to a DMB concert was not just watching a show, but it was more like an adventure, we were doing the most insane things just to be there and live the moment.

Now that most of us have been following the band for so many years (and I know that some of you have been to dozen of shows), I am asking you to close your eyes and go back to those days, so full of freedom and lightheartedness, to live them again, and, if you feel like, to tell your stories and adventures when you were going to a Dave Matthews concert, just like if you were Kerouac.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2335b4f2c2.jpg

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
    daveindyman
    Ants Member #79883

Shows Seen: 77

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ON THE ROAD - Tell Us about your Dave Matthews Adventures

I like the concept .... nothing as cool as the story in the XM thread but thought I'd contribute. Up to 2008, I had only gone as far as Chicago to see a show. Deer Creek is my home venue so imagine my disdain when I was in a wedding the weekend of Deer Creek. So in order to not miss 2 shows in one weekend, I convinced a friend to road trip with me a few weeks later up to Alpine Valley for the first time where we experienced the famous parking lot scene, shotski, two fantastic shows (including Live Trax 15) and the after-show fireworks back in the lots. I have made it to every Alpine show from then on.
    daveindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Oh goodness. I made a last minute decision to fly from NY -> Seattle for the Gorge less than a week prior to the show. The times I drove Albany -> Shartford -> Albany -> Shartford -> Albany for two shows but still couldn't miss work. Everything around the NOLA D&T shows is one of the greatest experiences of my life, from being served a drink on the flight down and then being told the credit card machine was broken and then following that up with asking if I wanted another and subsequently walking off the plane with a pocketful of nips to being kicked out of a bar and nobody else in my group even knowing why. 4 shows and a baseball game in 6 days, I was drunk for 9 days straight. Doing shots with Timmy at a bar in Rochester. Shattering my elbow at SPAC in 2018. Flying from NY -> San Fran the day of the Super Bowl show and flying back home less than 24 hours later, all for free standby. I got to see just how godawful terrible Salt Lake City is.

This band, and the associated travels to see them, have given me enough stories to write a book.
    Old 02-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
    prdstmnky36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Oh goodness. I made a last minute decision to fly from NY -> Seattle for the Gorge less than a week prior to the show. The times I drove Albany -> Shartford -> Albany -> Shartford -> Albany for two shows but still couldn't miss work. Everything around the NOLA D&T shows is one of the greatest experiences of my life, from being served a drink on the flight down and then being told the credit card machine was broken and then following that up with asking if I wanted another and subsequently walking off the plane with a pocketful of nips to being kicked out of a bar and nobody else in my group even knowing why. 4 shows and a baseball game in 6 days, I was drunk for 9 days straight. Doing shots with Timmy at a bar in Rochester. Shattering my elbow at SPAC in 2018. Flying from NY -> San Fran the day of the Super Bowl show and flying back home less than 24 hours later, all for free standby. I got to see just how godawful terrible Salt Lake City is.

This band, and the associated travels to see them, have given me enough stories to write a book.

This guy!

SEE YOU AT SPAC!!!
    prdstmnky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #5
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I would like to hear more of the story of the shots with Tim at Rochester. When was that? Do you have any pictures?
    Old 02-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
    Strider_BTCS

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I went to Camden N2 2013 (6/29/13) which was an amazing show. Two days later, on 7/2/13, I worked until 3:30, drove from Saratoga to Bethel (2 hours and 40 min) for the show. Got home at about 2:00AM and then woke up to go to work for 7:00AM on 7/3/13. Worked until 3:30 and then made the drive to Darien (four hours) for that show. Three shows at three different venues in about five days.

25th Anniversary show in Charlottesville in 2016. Decided the Friday before the show that I wanted to go. Woke up at 4:00A the morning of 5/7/16 and made the eight hour drive to Virginia to meet up with friends. Took in all the pre-show festivities and the show itself. I had promised my mom that I'd be at the following days Mother's Day Brunch so drove back home from Virginia to New York immediately after the show. Got home at about 7:30A, napped, and made it on time for brunch at 11:00A. While fun, I'll never do anything like that again. The drive home was one of the worst nights of my life.
    Strider_BTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    I would like to hear more of the story of the shots with Tim at Rochester. When was that? Do you have any pictures?
    Sadly, no pictures. It was after a TR3 show, I just happened to be visiting a friend that night when somebody from here texted me saying TR3 was in town. Looked it up and it was the bar, like, right next to the bar we were in. Hung out for the show, stuck around to help them pack everything up and shoot the shit with some of the sound guys and next thing we're all doing shots at the bar. It couldn't've been more than a dozen people at the bar other than us, real cool time. Tim's a riot, Mick and Dan are stellar guys in their own right.

I've seen more iterations of Tim's music than I have Dave's, between TR3/Tim Solo/D&T/DMB.
    Old 02-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #8
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 View Post
    This guy!
    What else am I forgetting, you'd probably know better than i do
    Old 02-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #9
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Seeing Dave sing "Could I have been lost somewhere in Paris?" while watching a show in the city of Paris has to rank up near the top in my DMB adventures
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 03:57 AM   #10
    scottbtdmb

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I have 2 "on the road" stories to share. The first one took place in 2016, a year after I got married. My wife and I live in Maryland, and had never seen DMB in any venue outside of the immediate area (Maryland/Virginia/Pennsylvania/New Jersey). We decided for our honeymoon that we would drive out to Wisconsin and see them both nights at Alpine Valley. The both of us are also craft beer enthusiasts, so the trip also consisted of stopping at numerous craft breweries.

We started out with a short drive through Pittsburgh, where we spent a couple hours on East Carson St, most notably at the Fat Heads Brewpub. After leaving Pitt, we drove to the outskirts of Cleveland and had dinner at the Brew Kettle pub, which had recently won a gold medal for their White Rajah IPA. The beer was excellent, but the food was better! Their andouille mac n cheese is still the best I have ever had! The following morning we visited the house from "A Christmas Story", toured the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, had a few sips of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold outside of the "hall", and then trucked it to Delavan, Wisconsin!

While in Wisconsin, we hung out a lot in Lake Geneva, drank a whole bunch of New Glarus Spotted Cow, and oh yeah....the concerts were a blast! We wound up meeting a few folks from Washington DC the first afternoon we were there while tailgating, and really hit it off with them. I was also very active on the "meetattheshow" site at the time, and was fortunate enough to meet up with a few folks from the chat room over there! Before we left Wisconsin, we stopped in Kenosha and had a burger stuffed with mac n cheese. One thing I can say is that the mid-west does mac n cheese proper! You just can't find any around here (Maryland) that is quite as good!

After leaving Wisconsin, we spent 2 nights in Chicago where we watched fireworks from Navy Pier on the 4th of July, did the Al Capone "Mobster Bus Tour", and enjoyed all of the sites and sounds of the "Miracle Mile". After leaving Chicago, we made a quick pit-stop at Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster, IN and crossed off enough "beer destination". Their beer is just fantastic, but their poutine might even be better!

That pretty much sums up our Mid-west honeymoon "road trip". The DMB shows themselves were really not the highlight of the trip, although I will never forget the tailgating at Alpine Valley and the awesome people we met. I suppose it is always more about the journey itself, rather than the destination though! Those little "greasy spoons aka diners" that you stop at after 6 hours on the road, pulling into a rest stop for some coffee, rolling up to a craft brewery that you have admired from afar for many years, passing through a state you have never been to, taking a morning jog down a bunch of backwoods farm roads in Wisconsin.....all of those little miscellaneous moments are what I remember and treasure most about our trip!

I believe I will post the 2nd part some other time, as it deserves its own "moment". Hint hint....our other road trip occurred a few years later and involved drinking a whole lot of Heady Topper ;-)

-Scott
    scottbtdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 04:41 AM   #11
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sadly, no pictures. It was after a TR3 show, I just happened to be visiting a friend that night when somebody from here texted me saying TR3 was in town. Looked it up and it was the bar, like, right next to the bar we were in. Hung out for the show, stuck around to help them pack everything up and shoot the shit with some of the sound guys and next thing we're all doing shots at the bar. It couldn't've been more than a dozen people at the bar other than us, real cool time. Tim's a riot, Mick and Dan are stellar guys in their own right.

I've seen more iterations of Tim's music than I have Dave's, between TR3/Tim Solo/D&T/DMB.

I have never listened TR3, I should start, I guess. They have done 2 albums so far, right? Which one do you recommend?

Quote:
    What else am I forgetting, you'd probably know better than i do

I guess you know each other from a long time
    Old 02-22-2021, 04:59 AM   #12
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Could write books on the Bristow tailgates throughout the year. good thread, I like reading these stories
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 06:02 AM   #13
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

in 2003 I was a Junior at the University of Delaware and the news came out that DMB would be playing a free concert at Central Park. I looked at my calendar and saw that I had an exam that day, I went to the professor and told him about the situation and how this was a once-in-a-lifetime concert. Luckily he was a fan of the band and allowed me to miss the exam and make it up later in the week. The Tuesday before my buddies and I packed up the car and drove from Newark, De to Staten Island where we stayed at a friend's parent's house.

The morning of the concert, we took the Staten Island Ferry into NYC. After a short subway right we arrived outside the gates of Central Park on 5th ave around 79th street. If I remember correctly they weren't allowing us inside to the Great Lawn til about 4 pm, so we had an entire day of hanging on the street with the hundreds of other fans who lined up early in hopes of getting a front-row view. A few of us realized that the Metropolitan Museum of Art had bathrooms and you could enter for free which was a great way to kill time. Which was a lifesaver when waiting outside for hours.

Once we were allowed into the park we passed through about 2 security checkpoints where our bags and stuff were searched(standard concert checkdown), luckily my buddy had his stash in the lining of his hat and we were able to get some joints into the lawn. One of the greatest experiences was the mad dash across the Great Lawn to get to the stage, it was probably a 1,000 Ft run and it was one of the most fun moments of the day. We all know the show was epic and one of the must-see moments in the band's history but the entire day leading up to the concert made the experience that much better. Being front and center of the 80,000+ fans who packed the Great Lawn was to this day my favorite all time DMB moment.
    Old 02-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #14
    cjstinelli

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Nothing crazy, but a cool story nonetheless. Freshman year of college ('98 - '99) a friend on my dorm floor asked if I wanted to go see DMB. I said sure, when and he said that night in Cleveland (maybe a 2 1/2 hour drive). This was mid afternoon and we had no tickets. The 2 of us and 2 of his female friends hopped into his car and hoped for the best. Arrived in Cleveland not long before they were scheduled to take the stage. Managed to scalp 2 tickets next to each other and let the girls use them so they could at least feel safe and not be alone. Scalped a single but couldn't find another. Figured we'd try to box office at the arena. They said they had released some limited view seats so I picked one up. Girls ended up in the very last row, my friend had a decent seat on the side, and I took the limited view ticket which ended up being front row on the right, and my limited view was that I couldn't see Roi. Only time I've ever say alone and it was a great night.
    cjstinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 07:07 AM   #15
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

This is my brothers story.

He was working at Red Lobster back in 1993. His shift was almost over and one of the other waiters asked if they wanted to head to the University of Delaware because there's this band playing with a really cool violin player. He drove down and saw DMB at the Stone Balloon in 1994 with about 100 people in the crowd. Just 4 years later he saw them play again but this time it was sold out Giants Statdium.

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...=45&where=1994
    Old 02-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #16
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

In 2018 I decided at about 4:30 in the afternoon to see them two hours away in Gilford NH on 6/13. Then a couple months later went to the Gorge, then on their fall tour decided to go to their show in Boston on 12/7 instead of their show in NH on 12/4. For deciding to not go to their show on 12/4 I was told by several Ants, led by Rickyh24, that DMB wasn't a band worth traveling for anymore and that I wasn't interested in traveling to see them anymore, so that was nice.
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #17
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Nothing too interesting but it's been a fun ride...

2000 - I missed my Columbus home shows, which as one can imagine I was rather upset about this. Later that summer my buddy was scrolling the tour dates and came across 9/18/00 in Maryland Heights, MO. So a week before the show we put our plan together, got a couple more guys to join us and we were on our way. We left the morning of the show, hung at our motel for a few beers, headed to the show where we were treated to what ended up being one of the greatest DMB shows with the Flecktones as guests. After the show we were slamming beers in the car on the way out and I had an emergency urination stop on the side of the highway. I was so out of it that at some point I must have toppled over because the next thing I knew I was on the ground and my elbow was bleeding (still have the scar). Probably needed stitches, but just drank more, and then woke up the next morning with what would be one of the worst hangovers I have ever had, and proceeded to vomit for 7 1/2 hours of the 8 hour trip home. Just in time to start my first day of college the very next day.

2002 - Attended the first night at Polaris, 8/5/02, and woke up the next day missing my wallet with my ticket for night 2. I had a lawn ticket, and I believe the show was sold out. Ants wasn't what it is today, and nor was the internet in general, so I had no idea what to do and was panicking. At the last minute I ended up scoring two tickets 18th row for my brother and me. This was the first time I had ever been so close to the stage, and what a night to be close. The energy in that pavilion was through the roof, and the show was fantastic from start to end (absolutely worthy of an LT release). On the way out we passed lost and found and I said, ah screw it, "By chance did anyone return a black wallet?" Just like that the woman turned to one of the cubbies, pulled out a black wallet that had my license and two tickets for night 2 in it.

2003 - Like many, I was absolutely blown away by the set lists to start the 2003 tour, so immediately upon exiting Columbus night 2, a plan formed to attend the two Cinci shows the following week. 3 of my buddies and I packed the van the afternoon of the first Cinci show, rolled in just in time to score lawn tickets and catch another amazing set, that included my first ever Minarets, and first of the tour. Drove the nearly two hours back to Columbus, grabbed a solid sleep, and then my buddy asked if I wanted to go back for night 2. Last minute we hopped in the car and did the same thing we did the night before, only this time we ended up hanging with a group of smokin' babes that we would end up staying in touch with for a couple years. We all hit Waffle House after the show, then drove the 2 hours back to Columbus, snagged a few hours sleep and was back to work the next morning at Elektro Kopy!

There's been many more adventures since, such as my wife (then my girlfriend) coming up with some elaborate plan to surprise me with tickets to the Mansfield 6/25/08 show. She knew how badly I wanted to go and see Tim Reynolds play with the band. I thought for sure this was a once in a lifetime chance to see him play with the band. Assumed it would only be for one summer. The story to throw me off her track was so well thought out and detailed that I could not believe it when she showed up with a pack of Coors Light and two tickets to the show. I ended up being even more thankful for that show when Roi passed. It also was the greatest Two Step ever played. She surprised me one other time in 2010, and when we were living closer to Boston we made a VERY last minute decision to hop on the train and catch 12/9/12, which was an incredible show that landed us stranded in Boston because they went over and our last train left. Had to call a buddy of ours in Southie to come drive our drunk asses back to Wilmington (not sure there was an Uber yet).

But nothing could amount to that of The Gorge in 2016. My wife was just wrapping up grad school, and after 2 years of her in school and me fending for the two of us, we went all out. We went to Glacier National Park where we camped and hiked for 5 days. On our last day we got up and drove 8 hours west to The Gorge where I would live out my most epic dream. Reaching the top of the hill and looking down on that stage was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and was followed by 3 days and nights of inexplicable joy.

The cherry on top is that this past summer with everything being as crazy as it was, I grabbed my guitar, a friend of mine that works sound and video, and we drove across the country in 3 1/2 days to The Gorge where I was given permission to perform an acoustic set on the Cave B Winery stage. We filmed it and aired it live Labor Day weekend. Getting to perform in front of The Gorge like that was most definitely one of the top highlights of my life, even without. crowd present. But I'm pretty sure I never would have dreamed something like this up had DMB and all of my adventures not existed.

Last edited by KevinTH; 02-22-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #18
    hensleytyler44

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

My two "On the Road" stories:

1. My story may have just been coincidence (probably was) but is still pretty special to me. One of my favorite songs is Fool to Think (minority, I know) - I started going to shows in 2010 and had hoped I would hear Fool to Think, then I learned about the almanac and realized how incredibly rare Fool to Think was post 2004. So going into the Summer 2012 tour I saw a lot of ants tweeting Stefan requesting songs for different weekends of the tour. The week before Deer Creek, I took a chance, I tweeted Stefan and asked him to play Fool to Think at Deer Creek that weekend. N2 at Deer Creek, they played arguably the best version of this song ever and it was the only time it was played the entire tour. Was it because of my tweet to Stefan? Probably not - but I'll never forget that performance.

2. Summer 2015, I went to four shows in 5 days (Bonner Springs, St Louis, Deer Creek x2). I took four different people to these shows, all of which had never been to a DMB show. n1 at Deer Creek, I took my younger sister and we got to hear the first performance of Let You Down in 18 years, unbelievable. The entire show was fantastic but the highlight was walking away from our seats, looking to my left, and realizing I was staring directly at Fenton. With security telling me to keep moving, I ignored them and asked Fenton for the setlist, he lifted it off the board and handed it to me. It has all his lighting cue notes penciled next to each song. One of my most prized DMB possessions.

Last edited by hensleytyler44; 02-22-2021 at 08:16 AM.
    hensleytyler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #19
    Bhiatt185

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

2016, my wife and I's 1st year to make the trip to The Gorge....Night 1 we drove directly to the venue from the airport in Spokane to see an amazing show. On our way back to Wenatchee, where we were staying, we saw an amazing fireball that shot across the whole sky. My wife thought it was a UFO or something, and people were pulling off the side of the road at the sight of it. The next night we took a party bus from Wenatchee to the venue and were telling some of the other people on the bus about the amazing fireball we saw the night before, to which they responded that we might have been indulging in the legalized weed a bit too much. About half way through the show, Dave stops and asked if anyone else happen to see the amazing fireball shooting across the nigh sky the night before.....the looks on the peoples faces when we got back on the bus that night was priceless! Pretty cool to think that Dave was just as mesmerized by it as we were. Since we were going to leave after the 3rd show to head straight to the airport, we drove from Wenatchee to the venue. On our way to the venue, some type of larger animal, I assumed a dog or coyote, ran out in front of the rental car and I smoked it. Didn't stop to check damage, and since the car was still running, we proceeded to the show. Didn't look at the front end when we got to the parking lot because I didn't want to know how bad the damage was until after I enjoyed the show. Needless to say, after the show the car wouldn't start and had to ride with the tow truck driver to the airport and barley made our flight Monday morning. Very memorable 1st trip to The Gorge, and we have been going every year since (except 2017 and last year)
    Bhiatt185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #20
    HonestDenver1

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Hello Ants! Most of you might know Jack Kerouac’s book: two friends that embark a long journey the United States from east to west, meeting the most extravagant people and making the craziest shit. Only wild and pure life.

The idea came to me during these strange days, thinking back to the days when going to a DMB concert was not just watching a show, but it was more like an adventure, we were doing the most insane things just to be there and live the moment.

Now that most of us have been following the band for so many years (and I know that some of you have been to dozen of shows), I am asking you to close your eyes and go back to those days, so full of freedom and lightheartedness, to live them again, and, if you feel like, to tell your stories and adventures when you were going to a Dave Matthews concert, just like if you were Kerouac.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2335b4f2c2.jpg
    I hope the adventure aspect returns... That was truly part of the fun.

I used to fly into Oregon from Denver every summer for 5 years straight. 07-11 to take a road trip with friends to the Gorge. My friend's parents let us borrow their pop up trailer and truck and without fail something would break on the truck every year... The final year we had decided to see all 3 nights of the Caravan festival... We for some reason decided to leave at midnight to get there in the morning, rather than get there in the late afternoon/evening and try to pick a camp spot to set up and rush into the show... We wanted to see some of the other acts that day too..

Right before sunrise we were less than an hour away from the Gorge and we threw a rod in the engine... Everyone exhausted from being up all night and so close to the show it was heartbreaking.. Labor Day weekend stuck in the small towns of Eastern Washington... We called tow trucks and rental places to figure out what to do with our trailer and get our truck fixed asap...

We DID manage to get a tow truck for the truck.. It took us back to the next closest town 30 minutes away or so.. and we found out the truck was fucked.. AND there were no available cars of any size to rent anywhere near by...

Someone had the bright idea to try Uhaul... And it worked!! We get the last one... and we could hitch our trailer up to it...

So we rolled in a 3 seater Uhaul with 4 people and a trailer.... And still managed to get in around 6 PM that day....

It was exhausting but that was a great Gorge weekend with so many acts to check out in relatively small laid back settings... We saw Blind Pilot, The Low Anthem, TR3 Josh Ritter... All at the Gorge.. Really cool

And the aspect that the entire venue was GA minus the pit allowed us to get awesome views in the lower area every night... No chairs but we just brought a blanket and had 3 central to the stage, better than reserved seating for 3 nights of the Gorge.

Driving home 7 hours was less fun... But I won't forget it.
    HonestDenver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #21
    GraceBuckley

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I love this question. I find that often when people hear what a live concert fanatic I am, they think it's crazy to travel to see a concert. What they don't get is that the road trip aspect of it is just as much of the draw for me as the music itself. When money & work schedule allow, I love using seeing a beloved band as a reason to go somewhere new, or go somewhere I already know I love to see friends.

If I was gonna pick a DMB road trip story, a favorite of mine is when I was post college & grad school but still didn't know how to drive (hey, I'm from a big city, so sue me ). My 2 obsessive bands to see live were Pearl Jam and DMB. I loved nothing more than doing several east coast shows of each band whenever I could.

But in 1996 the unthinkable happened. The nightmare. The quandary. PJ & DMB'S EAST COAST TOUR SCHEDULES OVERLAPPED!!! THE HORROR!! The good news was, PJ was playing far fewer shows on East Coast and only one show truly overlapped that I would definitely have seen: DMB's 2nd night in Boston overlapped with PJ's Hartford show. But I was gonna figure it out. So imagine this: I managed to go to NINE SHOWS, in ELEVEN DAYS, and only miss ONE full day of work in Boston! ALL ON GREYHOUND BUSES!! As long as I had a bottle of water, my walkman (remember those?), my journal, and a pillow, I was good to go. Remember the days before cell phones or wifi everywhere? Bus rides were just me staring out the window listening to beloved tunes and thinking about the last show or next show.

So we have Pearl Jam on their No Code album tour, and DMB on Crash tour.

The other thing that was incredible about this road trip, is that while I did most of the travel alone (and liked it), I had a core group of DMB friends to connect with at shows, and a core group of PJ friends at shows. So I had great alone time on buses, and the best time at the shows with buds. So the road trip went something like this:

Fri Sept 27, 1996:
    Went to 2 mtgs in the morning at work in Boston, then hightailed it to Greyhound bus bound for NYC. Got in and went straight to a club in NYC that held about 1,000 people to see Ben Harper. I saw some amazing shows at Tramps over time, like 2 yrs before in Dec '94 when I saw this lineup: The Fugees (playing some songs that would end up on The Score), with opening bands Michael Franti's Spearhead and Ben Harper! So now it was Ben's turn to headline Tramps. Fantastic show!

Sat Sept 28, 1996:
    Pearl Jam at Randall's Island, considered an epic 2 shows in PJ fandom. Both shows opened by Ben Harper and Seattle band The Fastbacks. Night was was intense and crazy, night 2 also intense but not as darkly so.

Sun Sept 29, 1996:
    PJ night 2, Randall's Island, my favorite of the 2 shows, but just incredibly intense. Also I had a fan's dream experience at this show... basically seeing Jack Irons (PJ drummer at the time) in a Joe Strummer t-shirt, mentioning my love of the Clash and Joe Strummer, and Jack Irons telling me the whole story of how HE was the link (which he was) to Eddie Vedder connecting to Stone and Jeff so basically he is the reason PJ was formed. Jack is pretty private but he told me the WHOLE STORY, which included Red Hot Chili Peppers details and the death of Hillel. Intense experience, will never forget it and forever grateful. Years later I got to hear Mike McCready of PJ tell Joe Strummer the whole story again, even though Joe already knew it. Incredible experiences.

So I'm from NYC so have places to stay there, but it was time to Greyhound it back to Boston.

Mon Sept 30, 1996:
    Bus back to Boston and 1/2 day at work for 2nd half of day.

Tues, Oct 1, 1996:
    Full day of work, then over to Fleet Center for DMB show #1. I remember it as a great show, but given that MSG shows with Soul Coughing were coming up, I don't remember it as better than those. Those were killer.

Wed, Oct 2, 1996: THE QUANDARY SHOW!!
    Since I lived in Boston, I'd never ever imagine missing a Boston DMB show. But this was same date as PJ in Hartford at Meadows Music Center, and PJ was only playing 3 shows during these 11 days so PJ it was going to be.

It was actually a memorable show (isn't every show at the Meadows?!), both because I thought PJ was particularly amazing, and also because somethign went down on the lawn and the police sprayed pepper spray so even us in the seats were blinded and hard to breath for a bit. Still don't know what happened but that just seems SO Hartford.... Still, it was a great show.

AND... perfect timing, I had a day at a conference in Hartford the next day, so I had a work paid hotel and was able to work there before going to Meadows, and more work that night.

Thurs Oct 3, 1996: DMBLive show
    DMB at MSG 1. DMB's first time playing MSG if I'm not mistaken. Soul Coughing supporting. 1st Anyone Seen the Bridge, and last time Dave did Watchtower solo at a full band show. Energy off the charts! Band went to a small bar in Hells Kitchen after that show, very cool time.

Love that they started with Seek Up & ended with Dancing Nancies.

Daytime went to the conference in Hartford then raced by bus down to NYC for MSG.

Fri Oct 4, 1996:
    DMB MSG #2. Band a little more relaxed, loved Soul Coughing again. Drive In Drive Out seems to have been on 2 DMB Live releases. I think I liked this night best, John Popper guested on What Would You Say & All Along the Watchtower. I don't know what the band did after this show, I hung out with friends from Nancies group.

Sat Oct 5, 1996: NYC Day Off of Road Trip LOL! Saw non-DMB, non-PJ friends & family.

Sun Oct 6, 1996:
    DMB at Amherst, Bus to Amherst, MA
    I don't remember much about this show, apparently Boyd sang lead on Angel From Montgomery here and at MSG. But I remember it being nice to see DMB in a non-giant city for this. Much more chill.

Mon Oct 7, 1996:
    BACK HOME, BACK TO WORK, BACK TO REAL LIFE.
    But heart, soul, mind and memories FULL. So much incredible music, so many awesome people. Unforgettable road trip.

This was super long, as is every damn thing I write, but thanks so much for the question, it was amazing to reminisce a full year since going to live shows at all. BIG LOVE TO ALL YOU ROADTRIPPERS!
    GraceBuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #22
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

I tried to edit the above, it was 8 shows in 10 days. I thought I went to DMB at Penn State the last day (Oct 7), but I didn't, I saw Dave and Tim there another time, not DMB.

But 8 shows in 10 days, with all travel by Greyhound bus, and only missing 1 full day of work... I still can't believe that happened!
    Old 02-22-2021, 07:12 PM   #23
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post

2000 - I missed my Columbus home shows, which as one can imagine I was rather upset about this. Later that summer my buddy was scrolling the tour dates and came across 9/18/00 in Maryland Heights, MO. So a week before the show we put our plan together, got a couple more guys to join us and we were on our way. We left the morning of the show, hung at our motel for a few beers, headed to the show where we were treated to what ended up being one of the greatest DMB shows with the Flecktones as guests. After the show we were slamming beers in the car on the way out and I had an emergency urination stop on the side of the highway. I was so out of it that at some point I must have toppled over because the next thing I knew I was on the ground and my elbow was bleeding (still have the scar). Probably needed stitches, but just drank more, and then woke up the next morning with what would be one of the worst hangovers I have ever had, and proceeded to vomit for 7 1/2 hours of the 8 hour trip home. Just in time to start my first day of college the very next day.

2002 - Attended the first night at Polaris, 8/5/02, and woke up the next day missing my wallet with my ticket for night 2. I had a lawn ticket, and I believe the show was sold out. Ants wasn't what it is today, and nor was the internet in general, so I had no idea what to do and was panicking. At the last minute I ended up scoring two tickets 18th row for my brother and me. This was the first time I had ever been so close to the stage, and what a night to be close. The energy in that pavilion was through the roof, and the show was fantastic from start to end (absolutely worthy of an LT release). On the way out we passed lost and found and I said, ah screw it, "By chance did anyone return a black wallet?" Just like that the woman turned to one of the cubbies, pulled out a black wallet that had my license and two tickets for night 2 in it.

2003 - Like many, I was absolutely blown away by the set lists to start the 2003 tour, so immediately upon exiting Columbus night 2, a plan formed to attend the two Cinci shows the following week. 3 of my buddies and I packed the van the afternoon of the first Cinci show, rolled in just in time to score lawn tickets and catch another amazing set, that included my first ever Minarets, and first of the tour. Drove the nearly two hours back to Columbus, grabbed a solid sleep, and then my buddy asked if I wanted to go back for night 2. Last minute we hopped in the car and did the same thing we did the night before, only this time we ended up hanging with a group of smokin' babes that we would end up staying in touch with for a couple years. We all hit Waffle House after the show, then drove the 2 hours back to Columbus, snagged a few hours sleep and was back to work the next morning at Elektro Kopy!

There's been many more adventures since, such as my wife (then my girlfriend) coming up with some elaborate plan to surprise me with tickets to the Mansfield 6/25/08 show. She knew how badly I wanted to go and see Tim Reynolds play with the band. I thought for sure this was a once in a lifetime chance to see him play with the band. Assumed it would only be for one summer. The story to throw me off her track was so well thought out and detailed that I could not believe it when she showed up with a pack of Coors Light and two tickets to the show. I ended up being even more thankful for that show when Roi passed. It also was the greatest Two Step ever played. She surprised me one other time in 2010, and when we were living closer to Boston we made a VERY last minute decision to hop on the train and catch 12/9/12, which was an incredible show that landed us stranded in Boston because they went over and our last train left. Had to call a buddy of ours in Southie to come drive our drunk asses back to Wilmington (not sure there was an Uber yet).

But nothing could amount to that of The Gorge in 2016. My wife was just wrapping up grad school, and after 2 years of her in school and me fending for the two of us, we went all out. We went to Glacier National Park where we camped and hiked for 5 days. On our last day we got up and drove 8 hours west to The Gorge where I would live out my most epic dream. Reaching the top of the hill and looking down on that stage was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and was followed by 3 days and nights of inexplicable joy.

The cherry on top is that this past summer with everything being as crazy as it was, I grabbed my guitar, a friend of mine that works sound and video, and we drove across the country in 3 1/2 days to The Gorge where I was given permission to perform an acoustic set on the Cave B Winery stage. We filmed it and aired it live Labor Day weekend. Getting to perform in front of The Gorge like that was most definitely one of the top highlights of my life, even without. crowd present. But I'm pretty sure I never would have dreamed something like this up had DMB and all of my adventures not existed.
    Did you fuck them?
    Old 02-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #24
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

ON THE ROAD - Tell Us about your Dave Matthews Adventures

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post

Kevin, I love those stories, all of them. It is like DMB has been the source for such memories for you, and then you and your wife. I love the 2002 story, just showing like something extraordinary can start from a bad adventure, and the whole thing starts to make sense in a different way. Now I want to listen that Polaris 2002 show, I bet you have a tape of it. Also Mansfield 6/25/08 show, I want to listen that too.

I love the Columbus 2003 story with the smoking babes, do you have any photo of that? Do you have any photo at all of all the stories you mentioned?

The hiking in 2016? That sound gorgeous to me. The Gorge by itself seems like a dream to me, I have never been and it is becoming a thing-to-do-before-I-die, I am getting obsessed with that and my wife that doesn’t like DMB (se says that Dave has a funny voice, like he is at the toilet) finally is understanding how great it would be for me and maybe after all this shit we all will go one day.

I just can imagine the two of you, getting to that top, with the sensation of freedom, watching the stage so far, and knowing that the best is yet to come. It is amazing to notice how this gives me now such a strong emotion here, 10’000 miles away from that place. I love [i]”Into the Wild”[/B] movie, it is such an inspiring movie and the music is great too. I lived something like that back in ‘95, I was 23, I just graduated and I fulfilled a dream to travel across the State. I spent three weeks on a van and the tents with some guys from everywhere, thru the Grand Canyon, Route66, Yosemite, San Francisco and the Monument Valley, then at the end of the trip I took a plane to somewhere in the NW, then got a car, all by myself, drove to Yellowstone and the Glacier National Park. I didn’t know the DMB at that time, the BoDeans were my soundtrack, and I remember i had planned to spend the night camping alone in some dark spot of Glacier, then being warned by the other people that were around: “beware of the bears”. When it got dark, watching the stars, I got di scared, each noise to me was a bear, and at one point I almost peed in my pants for the fear (I mean, it was really dark) that I packed my sleeping bag in three second and run away, then slept in my car. My 4-years-old daughter loves this story and she laughs so much when I tell her, mostly for the part when I run away back in the car.

Your wife must be terrific, making you those surprises, and keeping doing that year by year, and still surprising you. She must be great, and it is great that you share this passion. Sometimes Dave Matthews’s music creates a bond, like the story of the other night of Chelsea (I hope she writes more about that), that she and her sister had created such a special bond around DMB, that is consolidating over the years. I imagine you must have a great book of photos, together over the years (I am quite jealous of that, I must admit).

You made me think of a couple of DMB stories I could tell, but it is getting too late, I will write that some other time.

Last edited by Xcacel; 02-22-2021 at 08:50 PM.
    Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #25
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Becoming friends with Carter's drum tech, helping him out with the kit on occasion, and backstage every show since 2013. This is a shot my friend got of me in Rogers 2018. I will never take any of this incredible opportunity for granted. IMG_20180607_160325_112.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Old 02-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #26
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

I haven't been around for a LONG time... Is Carter's drum tech still a guy whose name starts with H? I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved on to someone else, that was a long time ago...
    Old 02-23-2021, 02:16 AM   #27
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceBuckley View Post
    I haven't been around for a LONG time... Is Carter's drum tech still a guy whose name starts with H? I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved on to someone else, that was a long time ago...
    Yep. Henry!

Old 02-23-2021, 05:15 AM   #28
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Did you fuck them?
    Oh, Ants. Always asking the important questions!
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #29
    scottbtdmb

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

So after our DMB/craft beer themed honeymoon trip in 2016 (see post near top of this page), my wife and I decided to do something similar in 2018, but this time we chose to do a New England trip, culminating with 2 nights of DMB at SPAC. The trip began the day after July 4th with an overnight stop in New York City. We took in a Broadway show and had a great dinner at a craft beer bar called The Beer Authority.

The 2nd day, we drove up to Rhode Island and made a mid morning stop at Tilted Barn brewery. Out of all the great New England beer we drank throughout the trip, these guys made some of the best that we came across! It was literally just a small barn out in the middle of nowhere, and it just so happened that we went on the day of a beer release. We did have to stand in line while it rained, but we struck up a conversation with a couple of people that gave us some good tips for things to do in nearby Newport. Had lunch at a cool bar in Newport that afternoon called Pour Judgment, and took a drive down the famous "Ten Mile Drive" where all the oceanside mansions were that the old time movie stars used to stay at as their summer homes. Drove up to Providence and spent the night there, before taking off the following morning for Boston.

Boston was a 2 night stop for us and we stayed right in the heart of the Financial district. We were able to see most of the historical sites on the "Freedom Trail", and we hit some really great breweries, including Trillium and Jack's Abby. We also did a late night "ghost trolly" ride that was a whole lot of fun, and included stopping at the graveyard where Paul Revere was buried. Also took a day trip to Salem, which had a lot of cool old graveyards, and some nice shops/restaurants.

From Boston, we hightailed it up to Maine. We briefly stopped in Portland and drank beer at Allagash, Foundation, Battery Steele, and Austin St, and Maine Beer Co (all fantastic breweries). From there we drove up to Bar Harbor and spent 2 nights. Out of all the places we stopped at, Bar Harbor is the destination that I probably enjoyed most, and would love to go back there for a week sometime!

After Maine, we drove down to Stowe, VT and stayed at the famous Von Trapp Lodge (Sound of Music family). Had a gorgeous view of the mountains from our room, and we were less than 5 min from downtown Stowe, The Alchemist Brewery (Heady Topper), and of course the Von Trapp Brewpub (best American made lagers I've ever had!). We did a fair bit of hiking, biking, and drove out to Ben n Jerry's for a tour one afternoon. After Bar Harbor, Von Trapp would be 2nd on my list of places that I would like to return to for a full week sometime!

We left Stowe and briefly stopped in Burlington to check out the Foam brewery, who makes some phenomenal beer! After that, we were off to Saratoga Springs for 2 nights of DMB. I had never been to SPAC before, and along with Alpine Valley, it was one of my bucket list DMB destinations! It certainly did not disappoint! Despite some of the awful tailgating stories I had heard about with cops harassing tailgaters, we didn't have any issues either afternoon. Met a lot of cool people, and shared/traded a lot of the great New England beer we had picked up with folks that we met tailgating. This was also the debut of our custom made DMB cornhole boards that we had just had made several weeks before, complete with the Nancies logo. We got a lot of comments from passersby about how cool the boards looked!

As for the concerts, both nights were great. We had seats for N1 and got to hear Raven and Captain live for the first time! My wife's fave song is Pig, which she had never heard live before, so it was a nice treat for her when they busted that out! For N2, we were on the lawn, which wasn't nearly as enjoyable as the seats, but we still had a great time regardless. Totally didn't expect them to play JTR, which was a tour debut that night, and then they blew us away by following it up with Big Eyed Fish > Lover Lay Down. Probably the coolest thing was that both nights were documented with professional recordings....N1 was a Sirius XM broadcast and N2 was a YouTube stream. It is really a nice momento of our first SPAC trip to have both nights documented with high quality audio/video recordings!

Overall, I can't really say whether this trip bested the previous one to the Mid-West, but I can say that it left us thirsty for more. Hoping to do a South themed trip next and perhaps wind up down in West Palm Beach for DMB shows down there. It would also be great to do a Pacific Northwest themed DMB/beer trip and wind up at The Gorge for all 3 nights. Hopefully, once the pandemic has died down and concerts resume, we will be able to accomplish these other destination themed goals!

-Scott
    scottbtdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2021, 09:29 AM   #30
    GraceBuckley

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    Yep. Henry!

That's great! I haven't seen Henry in AGES! Really, like 13 yrs.