New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 7 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #181
jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg83 View Post
Here are the main takeaways from that portion of the Sirius interview.

-Dave says writing is going well. He's been home in Virginia, just hanging out and noodling on guitars outside with Rob Evans. Rob will start randomly setting up mics saying to Dave "Well what if you play something really good?" So it sounds like there's a lot of recordings.
-Rob was the one constantly saying "We should get Carter to play on this..." There was one song in particular that Dave said they got really excited about and just 2 hours later it's one of his favorite songs he ever wrote.
-The above song is called "Walk Around the Moon" and according to Dave it's about taking a walk in the woods and maybe finding a mushroom in the woods... This is the song that made Dave say "Okay, let's call Carter."
-Dave says at the moment he and the band have a couple more songs than he can count on both hands (so 12?)
-Dave says some songs are raucous rocking, some songs are really sweet, and there is some "retro music" he's excited about.
-It started with him going into a room playing a song for Carter, Dave standing behind the glass and just listening to him. Carter came in and said "I'm so outta practice since we haven't been on the road" but then he'd just slay, and play something so beautiful, with so much power but so composed, so elevating.Typical Dave fawning over Carter, which, fair.
-Then they brought everyone else in the studio, Dave joked that they were in hazmat suits. It started with Carter, then Tim and Buddy (Dave's really excited about sharing some videos of Tim and Buddy sitting next to each other with their masks on just exchanging licks).
-Dave says the process was beautiful and maybe overcautious--They're all tested absurdly frequently for Covid. Stefan came in, got off the airplane in his "hazmat suit," played the bass with big gloves.
-Then finally the horns came in.
-When asked how has this year's events impacted his songwriting, Dave says he had a lot of time to write music, and it's been a time of real freedom for him. He didn't want to put pressure on himself, so it's all been really open for him.

God, I hope we hear more on this soon! Really love Singing From the Windows and The Ocean and the Butterfly!
Love most of this. Hate horns last. Just speaks to the deemphasis of sax in this band. Jeff should be fundamental part of the creation process, he's too good not to be.

Anyway...otherwise super exciting. I like the fundamental team being Dave and Carter.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #182
    kmb40oz

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    I wonder what he meant by retro music. Sound like they might be working on a couple older tracks as well. Man this is exciting. I hope they stick with one producer (Evans) and I hope for mostly new tunes.

I'd guess that "retro music" is referring to the song "Ocean and the butterfly" which certainly has that retro feel. Which certainly reminds me of the classic, "Heart and Soul"
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #183
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    I wish the band didn't have a history of doing this stuff and then setting the work aside...forever.

High hopes for new music, but keeping expectations low until we hear stuff about official releases.
    Well said.
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #184
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    I kinda wish Dave didn't say Walk Around the Moon was one of his favorites he has ever written. That sets expectations high and if we ever hear it the potential for a let down is high even if the song is good.
    yea, but we already know that for the most part, Dave doesn't generally have the best taste in his own music Soo.....let's set low expectations and maybe it will be great!
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #185
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

At no point in Paul's post did I see the name Mark Batson
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #186
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    At no point in Paul's post did I see the name Mark Batson
    Thankfully.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #187
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    yea, but we already know that for the most part, Dave doesn't generally have the best taste in his own music Soo.....let's set low expectations and maybe it will be great!
    True, but if/when we get to listen to it there will be no way to not be thinking in the back of your head this is one of Dave's favorites ever. Hopefully that comes along with your face doing instead of
    dontdrink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #188
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t mind if the horns are coming in last. That’s prob how 90% of their catalogue has been written; Dave writing something solo and then bringing it to the rest of the band. Just so long as he has some space carved out for Jeff to go off. Either way, it’s great to hear that Dave is still writing and the band is in the studio making new music. Always hopeful that Dave’s writing skills will get better eventually.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #189
    theflower

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    Love most of this. Hate horns last. Just speaks to the deemphasis of sax in this band. Jeff should be fundamental part of the creation process, he's too good not to be.

Anyway...otherwise super exciting. I like the fundamental team being Dave and Carter.
    that's a great point i've just never considered. it's been discussed and re-discussed but one of the things that has turned me off from the newer (last 10 years or so) music is the transition from the horns being integrated and improvisational to a section that plays set and oft repeated lines and fills. It has always reminded me of the band Genesis. i think Jeff is great and Rashawn, when tempered and improvising, works for me. what is less attractive to me is the wall of sound horn section and, now that you mention it, it makes sense that the TIMING of how the horns are recorded may play a critical role in that. if they're recorded less, maybe they really are more apt to just "fill". on songs where i just really value the integration of the horns (and violin) and the rest of the music (spoon, lover lay down, etc), and now that you mention the issue, i guess i just picture them sitting around writing, playing and recording together.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #190
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theflower View Post
    that's a great point i've just never considered. it's been discussed and re-discussed but one of the things that has turned me off from the newer (last 10 years or so) music is the transition from the horns being integrated and improvisational to a section that plays set and oft repeated lines and fills. It has always reminded me of the band Genesis. i think Jeff is great and Rashawn, when tempered and improvising, works for me. what is less attractive to me is the wall of sound horn section and, now that you mention it, it makes sense that the TIMING of how the horns are recorded may play a critical role in that. if they're recorded less, maybe they really are more apt to just "fill". on songs where i just really value the integration of the horns (and violin) and the rest of the music (spoon, lover lay down, etc), and now that you mention the issue, i guess i just picture them sitting around writing, playing and recording together.
    Perfectly said, agree with all of it. Depending on the structure and repetition, I don't mind more tightly wound horn lines, but it should never just be an outright replacement for the "sax as a lead guitar" mindset and execution Roi brought to the band and played a huge part in why those magical fills/improv could take place.

And it's a sort of weird irony that he was such a huge part of creating and shaping songs and now the sax player is one of the last guys in the studio. It just takes away from one of the most unique things about the band.

On a positive note, the mindset of Rob Evans sounds great (as much as I don't like That Girl is You), and Dave and Carter being the foundation works for me.
    Old 10-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #191
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Lmao what about Dave’s original 4-song demo? Song that Jane Likes? Recently? I’ll Back you Up? BOWA?

Dave wrote those all before bringing them to the band.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #192
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

More or less that's just how you record anyway, with the exception of Fonzi's bass. main rhythm - primary tonal instruments (in this case, Dave's rhythm guitar) and drums, then bass (usually), then rhythm colour - secondary tonal instruments (layered guitars and keys), then accents (horns, strings, secondary percussion, & soloists). Horns being recorded last is just how it goes.

When Roi was here, they fleshed out the songs together for the most part by jamming. I don't see that happening with the current group in the same fashion. You just can't compare the band dynamic when it was the original five creating new music versus now. It will forever be different. Most of the songwriting happens with Dave by himself now it seems and then the others are invited to add, and the shaping that used to go on pre-2005 is less natural and possibly less apt to happen.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dodo36; 10-23-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #193
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Dave confirms Carter and him just completed album and it’s coming soon in this group chat. Discussed multiple times in this video. Beginning, around 5 min mark and another time later briefly.

https://youtu.be/4Cvxdi9hH80
    Old 10-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #194
    YankeesDMB41
    King Tailgate I

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

"Carter was jumping up and down yesterday" just pumped me up
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #195
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I kinda wish Dave didn't say Walk Around the Moon was one of his favorites he has ever written. That sets expectations high and if we ever hear it the potential for a let down is high even if the song is good.
    I haven’t been paying attention lately but what the hell is Walk Around the Moon?
    Old 10-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #196
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    Dave confirms Carter and him just completed album and it’s coming soon in this group chat. Discussed multiple times in this video. Beginning, around 5 min mark and another time later briefly.

https://youtu.be/4Cvxdi9hH80

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    I haven’t been paying attention lately but what the hell is Walk Around the Moon?
    A new song Dave talked about on some interview. Its the song that convinced him he had something worth calling Carter about and once he and Evans finished it it was one of his favorite songs he ever wrote
    Old 10-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #197
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

The part about jumping up and down is at about 5:15. And he talks a bit more about it at 11:00.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #198
    Evans

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Get ready to jump up and down my friends !
    I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
    Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #199
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

Sounds like he and Carter got a little buzzed together to celebrate the finishing of the album haha!
    Old 10-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #200
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

A new song Dave talked about on some interview. Its the song that convinced him he had something worth calling Carter about and once he and Evans finished it it was one of his favorite songs he ever wrote
    Oh so the next cornbreads, seven, shake me, belly belly etc.
    Old 10-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #201
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Damn, I wonder what the “transitional” part meant? Like is everyone done so now it transitions to mixing/mastering or Dave and Carter are done and now it transitions to all the other band members to overdub?

I’m burned by the word “soon” so I hope we hear something about it by early next year.
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #202
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
    Damn, I wonder what the “transitional” part meant? Like is everyone done so now it transitions to mixing/mastering or Dave and Carter are done and now it transitions to all the other band members to overdub?

I’m burned by the word “soon” so I hope we hear something about it by early next year.

Sex change prior to release for concept album
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #203
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Hopefully after the election we get a LT 54 announcement coupled with an album announcement. If they are releasing this session and its as ready as Dave makes it seem I could see a March 21 release.
    Old 10-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #204
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hopefully after the election we get a LT 54 announcement coupled with an album announcement. If they are releasing this session and its as ready as Dave makes it seem I could see a March 21 release.
    The way he’s been so openly talking about it makes me think this is accurate. Hoping so!
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #205
    ericvol

My Tour Central Stats

I’m hoping for December.....
    Old 10-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #206
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    I’m hoping for December.....
    That could be cool too but seems very quick since nothing official has been announced.
    Old 10-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #207
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That could be cool too but seems very quick since nothing official has been announced.

They could release it digitally like Phish did Sigma Oasis back at the start of quarantine, and then release the physical copies and merch at a later date.

I highly doubt they’d choose to do that, but it’s a possibility.
    Old 10-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #208
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    They could release it digitally like Phish did Sigma Oasis back at the start of quarantine, and then release the physical copies and merch at a later date.

I highly doubt they’d choose to do that, but it’s a possibility.
    Oh its absolutely possible to do it. The music should be released in digital or vinyl only. CD's are outdated and useless. Release digital files in December and ship the bundle extras at that time and then ship vinyl when its ready.

The wont do it because thats not what they do. But it could easily be done.
    Old 10-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #209
    theflower

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

are there any rumors regarding inclusion of unreleased older tunes beyond the reference to "retro" music? i don't know why i'm holding out for sugar will so hard. there is certainly no legitimate possibility it will live up to my hype.
    theflower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #210
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh its absolutely possible to do it. The music should be released in digital or vinyl only. CD's are outdated and useless. Release digital files in December and ship the bundle extras at that time and then ship vinyl when its ready.

The wont do it because thats not what they do. But it could easily be done.

Agreed. I wish they would do it that way