Camden N2 - what a night!! Detailed review - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
jas230314

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Camden N2 - what a night!! Detailed review

Hey folks,

Been meaning to post my review here, and I cannot sleep right now so here it is. First off, I was literally dead center in the pit, in front of dave, one person from the rail. So needless to say, not a bad view!

It was my girlfriends 4th show (my 12th or so), and it was her first show as a REAL fan... and boy has she caught the DMB-fever! Before the show, she said to me - there are 4 songs that are my absolute favorites, and if I hear any i'd die: the stone, pig, last stop, halloween. I told her basically good luck but not much of a chance, maybe halloween.

She's alive and well, and heard pig/the stone in a matter of 3 songs.

As for the review:

Good good time tease: I KNEW i recognized this... it came off sounding like #40 almost, because the first part of the guitar riff was quiet, but you could definitely make out the root notes of the verse. Glad to figure out it was GGT!

Pig: WOW! Okay, I think the giant "OINK" with a pig drawing sign was what did this. Dave pointed to the sign when he came out to introduce martin sexton, and I think he made the set after that, so thank you to whoever made that sign. It was unreal when it started, and I didnt believe it was happening. But overall, it was spot on, great placement, great sound, just great. Dave was holding back a big ol' smile the whole time for this one.

Funny the way it is: I have to say, I knew we were getting this and probably spaceman/WIA in the set, so I liked seeing it earlier on. It was the best performance of the song I have heard - Daves vocals were definitely strong on Thursday.

Stone: I can play guitar, so when Dave had his fingers in that area, it appeared that 41 might be coming up --- then of course I saw that riff start moving, veeeerrryyy quietly though, and there was a roar like none other from the pit and you could see Dave with a huge smile. My girlfriend asked, 'is this a tease?? it cant be happening, it cant be??!' and then BAM, boyd chimes in with that violin part. Another roar from the crowd. Again, spot on musically. The pit was pretty loud with "wise men say..." and carter conducted us with that (dave didnt sing it). Carter and I had a great little moment when he saw I knew the words so he and I were making sure everyone could hear!

PM-> Satellite: Perfect placement, took the energy down to a nice mellow groove after 3 increasingly intense songs. I loved Proudest Monkey, probably the best version I heard in my time. Being that close gives you such a different perspective on how the band interacts with themselves/the crowd, and especially how dave approaches each song. You can feel his energy. I have seen this before, and been bored with it, but it was perfect at this point in the show.

Grey Street: If any energy at all was lost, it came back, and then some. No 3rd verse, but honestly, who cares? It was just amazing.

Why I am: Short, sweet, and to the point. Great, loud cheers every time Dave sang 'groogrux king', and you could see the band was aware of the respect and love for Roi. Loved it - also realized that the band had only 2 big whiskey tunes left, and Id love either of them, so I was curious to see where the set was going.

Stay or Leave: HUGE fan of this full band. My girlfriend was in tears for this one - its a very personal song with a lot of meaning for her - and it just sounds so great with the band, who could deny loving it? Carter adds something to one section in this song that turns the beat inside out and it is groovy as hell.

Nancies-> Warehouse: Hoping for this one! We got 'lost somewhere in Philly', with a big crowd reaction. Overall, just amazing songs and Boyd tore Nancies apart. He was dueling with Dave for a long long time, and played out over the crowd - I was so happy to see Boyd just owning that song like he should. Warehouse is warehouse, need I say more? Louie Louie was loud in the pit from where I was.

Crash into me: If any 16 year old girls were losing interest in older tunes, this is the perfect song to bring them back. The building was about the explode with the nancies-> warehouse, so this brought things down a touch but is still a beautiful and great song. I loved it.

Kit Kat Jam: I would have never thought I could say I heard this one live. They have played it 26 f'in times EVER. I am one lucky bastard. I heard Sweet up and down debuted in 2007 (and was in the venue during its first soundcheck, so i got to hear its ACTUAL debut hehe), and JTR in 2006, so I was so happy to get this tune. Lyrics seemed mumbled but who the hell cares?

Gravedigger: This one always gets me, it looks like halloween is about to start. My girlfriend really wanted this one, and frankly, full band elevates it to a whole new level.

SDL: First time I heard this with the new outro, and I can see how it can end sets now. I was digging this tune so damn much, and figured it was the last song of the set, until

Two step! What a surprise, I had no idea what they were closing with since this was used up. Had the time bomb intro, which I really do like - it fits perfectly and builds up right with the song - and what can I say? Two Step... it was amazing. Simple as that.

---

Rye Whiskey - Easily the best version I have heard Dave sing. Every note was perfect hit. Aside from the obvious, PLEASE download this version. It is worth it. (Also, found it very appropriate with the passing of senator byrd)

Some Devil - very long tease, almost thought they were going to go into it but I knew so right had to be next, and thank god (nothing against some devil, but I love so right)

So Right: One of my favorites, really glad I got to hear it last night and finally:
Stay: There may be some hatred for this song, but let me tell you, the crowd was going nuts around me and so was I. It was just the perfect ending to a perfect night.

You could tell the band was loving every second of it, having fun, and playing probably the best setlist I have ever heard live. (6/23/06 might compete, but I give this show the edge). Also, I got some smiles and points from Stefan and Carter, and being that close, I had Dave staring at me for occasionally awkward amounts of time. And I am not complaining, it was really cool. Last but not least, I got Timmys pick - found it on the ground after the lights went up. I am a lucky bastard.

All in all, best show I have been to, bar none. My girlfriend got all the songs she wished she could hear and then some. Still in shock from the stone and a pig opener. Having gone to both nights, I must say, this band is more on fire than I have ever seen them.

Cheers everyone!

11/19 and 11/20
Best shows I've ever seen, I'll miss this band

jas230314 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
    Riverrat1
    libbala timmah?

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Camden N2 - what a night!! Detailed review

nice review! what did tim's pick look like?
    Riverrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
    jas230314

My Tour Central Stats

it was a blue dunlop 1 mm with a Turtle on it. Nothing fancy. I think Daves picks are designed custom, like with firedancers on them or something.

11/19 and 11/20

Old 07-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
    Gorm

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

you forgot #41

nice review though

Last edited by Gorm; 07-03-2010 at 10:38 AM.
    Gorm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
    bking885
    Davemb41

My Tour Central Stats

Hell of a show. any rumors that dave lost his step was doubled by "two step" performed. couldnt have made a more perfect set list. although they will never be the same without roi, jeff coffin is really gelling well with the whole group. i believe they are offically THE Dave Matthews Band again.

Eat Drink and Be Merry, My friends.
    bking885 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
    Big_Steve420

My Tour Central Stats

gives me chills readinig it
    Big_Steve420 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
    court23

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Hey, wondering what time the band hit the stage?
    court23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
    y100adics

My Tour Central Stats

Jas .. haha .. that's funny about Stone .. I was 5th row center pit and also play guitar. When I saw Dave start playing those notes I started screaming before I could even hear what he was playing .. haha .. My girl was like what are you screaming about? I don't hear anything.
    y100adics is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
    jas230314

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by y100adics View Post
    Jas .. haha .. that's funny about Stone .. I was 5th row center pit and also play guitar. When I saw Dave start playing those notes I started screaming before I could even hear what he was playing .. haha .. My girl was like what are you screaming about? I don't hear anything.
    The name's Alex . Yeah, it is funny I read this now... tonight Dave came out and I saw that riff moving right along (and he starts it out sooooo quiet, so no one knows what is happening) and I started freaking out! Its great knowing guitar and being able to see Daves hands and call out the next songs

btw: my girlfriend lives in king of prussia, and I am always down there - great to see a local guy on here!

11/19 and 11/20

Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #10
    y100adics

My Tour Central Stats

Hey Alex .. I'm Tim.... Yeah man, it is pretty awesome being able to tell what's gonna be played just by seeing the notes or chords .... I especially know Stone because I've practiced it so much and I still suck at it .. haha.

That's cool about KOP .... I love being in this area because there are so many shows within a reasonable driving distance!
    y100adics is offline   Reply With Quote