Review: strange but good? - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion > Just Got Back From The Show!
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
martymjm

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Review: strange but good?

I don't usually do this but after last night's show I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what I felt leaving there and I thought typing this out might help.... so here goes

Rain sucked, thank god we hung out at the hotel and "tailgated"

The Black Crowes. One of my all time favorite bands opening up for DMB. The Crowes sounded great and I am seeing the 2 times in the next week can't wait.

DMB

Old Dirt Hill- Slow way to open a show
Everyday - See above
You Might Die Trying- I dig this song live, but still not getting the crowd going

Ok at this point I am wondering if the show is going to get started, the first 3 is not a way to get into a show. the crowes are a rock band and the played a short rock n roll set got me ready and.... DMB comes out puts me asleep

Eh Hee- I like this but still not sure but at least it has some fire to it
Grey Street- Nice
Bartender - GREAT STUFF
Corn Bread - Fun song got everyone moving a little
Out Of My Hands- Slow down again, again I like this live

Now in my head this set has no flow and I turn to my wife and say here is a nice spot for nancies.

Dancing Nancies- Good stuff
Typical Situation - Awesome don't get to hear it often crowd is getting into the show THEN

Where Are You Going +- Whether you like it or not is another story it sucks the energy right out of the crowd
Crash Into Me - Nice version but again more down time

AT this point I am wondering how they will build this to a nice ending

Jimi Thing - Solid bit nothing of note
So Damn Lucky- Great stuff, I thought it was going to be the set closer. This song is GREAT, so glad they pulled this one in.
Rhyme And Reason - WOW closing with this nice for a change but wait not done!

So Much To Say - Solid version
Anyone Seen The Bridge-- Stop time thing needs to go, and go away now, kills the momentum
Too Much- Solid run to close out the show, Dave's guitar problems and his dancing was fun to see.

At this point being in hershey I fully expect a quick tease of something then Ants to close since it was late

Encore:
Money +---- AWESOME so glad to see something like this at a DMB Show
Two Step --- Tim rips it up, great way to close... Dave fired up goes right into
Ants Marching- Nice fired up version

Notes:
-plenty of technical issues all night there, you can see people flying around to try and fix things. Not sure if that played into the slow start or not. But there were alot of problems.

-The Black crowes is a band if you can catch a show do it, they put on a good live show. I am biased I have seen them about a dozen times

-DMB played hard in the last half of the show and Tim Reynolds makes them sound much better.

-The videos and light show etc, is getting to big for my taste it looks like a big time bull shit cheesy rock show. This band doesn't need that or maybe they do now, but whatever. I used to really enjoy it without all the bells and whistles but still fun so what ever. Just seems to get bigger every year... anywa.

- I sat in Section B row 31. The crowd at Hershey sucked, deadest crowd i could remember at a concert. People it is a concert dance, hell SMILE at least!

- I give the show a B minus. DMB is playing well, Tim is great and they are playing with a fire on old tunes and Money is a great cover for them. IMO They sort of Mailed this one in except for the encore, it was almost on autopilot for them for 60% of the show, still good stuff but nothing Great, until the encore. I still had fun and still love the music.

- My last show at Hershey for DMB. After 45+ shows over the past 13 years, My wife and I are retiring DMB venues. Last year it was Camden and this year it is Hershey. Thanks Hershey! From now on we are travelling to see DMB instead of hitting the usual spots should be a fun twist on things.

Next UP 3 nights at the GORGE! So excited for that trip

If anyone reading this has never seen Tim with DMB, GO if you can.
martymjm is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here