Official Phish Discussion - Page 1999 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #59941
crush_me_16125

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Official Phish Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverwater View Post
Curious as to why you feel this way? I think I had more fun at Alpha3 and maybe Gorge3, but Alpha1 was, imo, the best show I saw this Summer. That Carini is money, both sets were played very well, and a 22 minute Ghost in the third song slot is what Phish dreams are made of.
I'm not saying it was a bad show, just overrated. Set 1 was very nice. Set 2 just didn't really do it for me. Tweezer was tasty and a type II Carini always nice, but Caspian and Simple went no where, Winterqueen was an energy kill and in a bad setlist spot, and Hood (even though it was a great version) closes every 4th show or so, so a Hood closer isn't exciting to me. It was, in my opinion, a pretty standard set with the exception of that set I Ghost. Again not saying it was bad, but after giving it a second full listen this weekend my opinion remains the same as it did after Mixlr'ing live: good show, but not mind blowing.
crush_me_16125 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #59942
    crazy joe Devola

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    It was so fucking weird being two cars away from being searched and getting the news. 10 min ago I get a text from my friend Brian side stage that says sound check in 15 min. We have a huge line of cars together caravaning in for the best weekend of our lives. I get a call from my friend behind me. It’s cancled. I’m like no way, it’s probably a misunderstanding, maybe one thing is cancled like the 5k but not the whole thing. Then I saw twitter. I was going up to people cars in our group and showing them curveballs Twitter. They didn’t believe me. I didn’t want to believe me. I call Brian and tell him. He’s like what?! No way man, I’m here and it’s awesome!! I was like dude they pulled the plug...

This created a build up at the entrance because everyone was so unbelievably stunned that no one moved. Secuirty waved us up and wanted to search the car, they didn’t really know what to do. One volunteer came up to me and and scanned my wrist band. He looked so mad because he traveled far to get there and set up on Tuesday and has been working for his ticket.

Everyone was just like sooo now what?? We drove about 100 yards into the venue and pulled over in a mini field to gather everyone and discuss. I was with 4 people I knew and a crew of 25 others that I didn’t know That well but we tagged along because they are super diehards and know how to do it right. Half decided to stay and party which we would have done if the weather wasn’t gonna be shitty. And I’m not the kind of guy who can fake fun. I would have been so sad being there knowing no phish was happening. We bailed to Rochester where my friends live and stayed there Thursday. We got to Curveball bit didn’t even get a glimpse of anything inside. It fucking hurt. We went to the falls before leaving and it was just the four of us silently looking at all of this dirty water that wasn’t letting us have our weekend. Such a beautiful place and such a somber mood. A lot of tears. Friday we said fuck it and went home to ct and stopped at Cooperstown along the way. That was actually really fun even though as I’m walking the hall of fame I’m thinking, fuck I should be gearing up for n1. We ate at Alex’s Bistro which was fantastic.

Saturday we headed to Treehouse because they had a good draft list and one of my fav beers in cans. They had a band that played phish tunes and as they were playing free, I couldn’t help but tear up a bit thinking I should be walking to th around afternoon set. We went home and passed out early after watching lampoons family vacation. It was exactly what I neeeed. I actually laughed and the compassion’s to our trip were too funny.

Sunday we said fuck it and went to Mohegan. We did pretty well so we decided to go all out for dinner and at least enjoy what we could out of it. Oh it’s own that’s one of the best weekends of the year for me. The truth is that I couldn’t be present and really enjoy any of it. I wanted Curveball so fucking bad that it hurts writing this post. I couldn’t help thinking what could have been, what should have been. I hope they treat Albany to something special.
    This was basically me as well. We found out 10 mins after we got to our AirBnB. We decided to go downtown Watkins for a beer Thursday night and it really hit me when we drove by the camping entrance and saw all the lights, and even worse, the people all pulled over on the side of the road. I essentially had a scowl on my face the entire night and barely had an appetite. Had my buddies been down with it, I would have driven right back to Manhattan that night but we stayed to party for a night instead.

I will say, it was a little therapeutic to go to Brooklyn Bowl last night. Was a pretty good crowd for a Sunday to watch an old Phish show. Maybe 100-200 peeps all dancing. Rogowski from HQ Trivia was there as well. You could tell everyone was still bummed but felt good to dance and boogie.
    crazy joe Devola is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #59943
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It was so fucking weird being two cars away from being searched and getting the news. 10 min ago I get a text from my friend Brian side stage that says sound check in 15 min. We have a huge line of cars together caravaning in for the best weekend of our lives. I get a call from my friend behind me. It’s cancled. I’m like no way, it’s probably a misunderstanding, maybe one thing is cancled like the 5k but not the whole thing. Then I saw twitter. I was going up to people cars in our group and showing them curveballs Twitter. They didn’t believe me. I didn’t want to believe me. I call Brian and tell him. He’s like what?! No way man, I’m here and it’s awesome!! I was like dude they pulled the plug...

This created a build up at the entrance because everyone was so unbelievably stunned that no one moved. Secuirty waved us up and wanted to search the car, they didn’t really know what to do. One volunteer came up to me and and scanned my wrist band. He looked so mad because he traveled far to get there and set up on Tuesday and has been working for his ticket.

Everyone was just like sooo now what?? We drove about 100 yards into the venue and pulled over in a mini field to gather everyone and discuss. I was with 4 people I knew and a crew of 25 others that I didn’t know That well but we tagged along because they are super diehards and know how to do it right. Half decided to stay and party which we would have done if the weather wasn’t gonna be shitty. And I’m not the kind of guy who can fake fun. I would have been so sad being there knowing no phish was happening. We bailed to Rochester where my friends live and stayed there Thursday. We got to Curveball bit didn’t even get a glimpse of anything inside. It fucking hurt. We went to the falls before leaving and it was just the four of us silently looking at all of this dirty water that wasn’t letting us have our weekend. Such a beautiful place and such a somber mood. A lot of tears. Friday we said fuck it and went home to ct and stopped at Cooperstown along the way. That was actually really fun even though as I’m walking the hall of fame I’m thinking, fuck I should be gearing up for n1. We ate at Alex’s Bistro which was fantastic.

Saturday we headed to Treehouse because they had a good draft list and one of my fav beers in cans. They had a band that played phish tunes and as they were playing free, I couldn’t help but tear up a bit thinking I should be walking to th around afternoon set. We went home and passed out early after watching lampoons family vacation. It was exactly what I neeeed. I actually laughed and the compassion’s to our trip were too funny.

Sunday we said fuck it and went to Mohegan. We did pretty well so we decided to go all out for dinner and at least enjoy what we could out of it. Oh it’s own that’s one of the best weekends of the year for me. The truth is that I couldn’t be present and really enjoy any of it. I wanted Curveball so fucking bad that it hurts writing this post. I couldn’t help thinking what could have been, what should have been. I hope they treat Albany to something special.
    Should have gotten in touch, I would have taken you out for Plates.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #59944
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I promised my girlfriend, who loves scott, that I would get her to meet him at the curve. I hate letting her down
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #59945
    crazy joe Devola

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I promised my girlfriend, who loves scott, that I would get her to meet him at the curve. I hate letting her down
    Ironically same here. I told my gf that we'd definitely run into him at CB. Bittersweet to randomly turn around last night and see him there after everything that went down.
    Old 08-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #59946
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Did you ask him if they started their trip out? I don’t think he did yet. I know he was bummed
    Quote:
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #59947
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazy joe Devola View Post
    Ironically same here. I told my gf that we'd definitely run into him at CB. Bittersweet to randomly turn around last night and see him there after everything that went down.
    Yeah I ran into him at MPP and had my hotel the morning after the Sat show. It's awesome that he's such a phan. Phish references are the only reason I still play HQ haha
    Old 08-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #59948
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Probably been discussed a bunch before, but what are your favorite songs, or even bits, lyrically?

I think Sand is probably up there for best lyrics, this part especially:

I would choose my own religion
    Worship my own spirit
    But if he ever preached to me
    I wouldn't want to hear it
    I'd drop him a forgotten god
    Languishing in shame
    And then if I hit stormy seas
    I'd have myself to blame

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #59949
    crazy joe Devola

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Did you ask him if they started their trip out? I don’t think he did yet. I know he was bummed
    Yea luckily him and his gf hadn't left to go up there yet. He seemed pretty bummed about it from the small convo we had.

There are a couple vids up on Brooklyn Bowls insta if anyone wanted to take a look of what it was like.
    Old 08-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #59950
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Since we are on page 1999 and about to go to page 2000 and there was not a show on August 20th, 1999, I thought we should instead revisit the last time Phish went from 1999 to 2000. So, on that date in Phish history: The legendary...

PHISH, FRIDAY 12/31/1999
    BIG CYPRESS SEMINOLE INDIAN RESERVATION
    Big Cypress, FL

SET 1: Runaway Jim, Funky Bitch, Tube, I Didn't Know, Punch You in the Eye, Bouncing Around the Room, Poor Heart, Roggae, Split Open and Melt[1] -> Catapult, Back on the Train, Horn, Guyute, After Midnight[2]

SET 2: Meatstick -> Auld Lang Syne[3] > Down with Disease[4] -> Llama, Bathtub Gin, Heavy Things, Twist -> Prince Caspian > Rock and Roll, You Enjoy Myself[5], Crosseyed and Painless, The Inlaw Josie Wales[6], Sand -> Quadrophonic Toppling[7], Slave to the Traffic Light, Albuquerque[8], Reba, Axilla[8], Uncle Pen, David Bowie, My Soul, Drowned -> After Midnight Reprise, The Horse > Silent in the Morning > Bittersweet Motel, Piper -> Free, Lawn Boy, Hold Your Head Up > Love You > Hold Your Head Up, Roses Are Free, Bug, Also Sprach Zarathustra[9] > Wading in the Velvet Sea > Meatstick

[1] Unfinished.
    [2] Phish debut.
    [3] Accompanied by fireworks.
    [4] Accompanied by fireworks; unfinished.
    [5] Vocal jam based around the word "cheesecake."
    [6] Trey on acoustic guitar.
    [7] Debut.
    [8] Trey altered lyrics to reference cheesecake.
    [9] Began with the signature Hood drum roll.
    This was the second show of the Big Cypress festival. Fish was introduced as 'Soda Jerk' during I Didn’t Know. SOAM and Disease were unfinished. After the ensuing Catapult, Trey remarked: “Only at the largest concert in the world could we get away with playing a song like that.” After Midnight made its Phish debut. The late set, also known as “The Show,” began at around 11:35. “Father Time” was on stage, pedaling on an exercise bike that powered a large clock. The sounds of the clock’s gears could be heard through the sound system. About ten minutes before midnight, “Father Time” collapsed from exhaustion and the clock stopped. Then, a large fan boat entered the concert field and approached the stage. Early in its journey, the fan boat exploded away and revealed the hot dog used in the 1994 New Year’s stunt. While the band rode the hot dog to the stage, an instrumental version of Meatstick began to play over the P.A.. The band reached the stage and fed several meatsticks to Father Time, reviving him so that the clock could continue moving toward midnight. The band then took the stage and played Meatstick to begin The Show. Dancers were on stage prior to Phish reaching it. Auld Lang Syne and Disease were accompanied by fireworks. Heavy Things was recorded live and rebroadcast as part of ABC television’s New Year’s Eve coverage. In a humorous effort to confuse the home audience, Trey instructed the crowd to yell the word “cheesecake” in lieu of cheering at the end of the song. After twice giving the example of yelling the word once, Trey changed his mind and instructed the crowd to chant it, adding for them to say it like they were pissed. Trey then introduced the band for the rebroadcast and offered a message of peace and harmony for the world where he reminded people to drive in the right lane unless passing another vehicle. Meatstick was subsequently teased as the New Year approached in the central time zone. Sand included a My Soul tease from Mike and Crosseyed included a DEG tease. YEM included a vocal jam based around the word “cheesecake” and Trey altered the lyrics to Axilla and Albuquerque to reference the word. Inlaw Josie Wales featured Trey on acoustic guitar. Quadrophonic Toppling debuted, albeit with different music than on The Siket Disc. Rock and Roll included an After Midnight tease. Love You included band introductions; Fish introduced Page before the song and Mike and Trey afterwards, and the band as “Phish 2000” (see November 2, 1990). Piper contained Bug teases from Page. 2001 began with the signature Hood drum roll. After the show closed with yet another version of Meatstick, the Beatles song Here Comes the Sun was piped through the crowd at sunrise. Two breakouts were played: Crosseyed and Painless (first since August 13, 1997, or 159 shows), and Love You (first since July 5, 1997, or 179 shows).
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #59951
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    For me it’s both - was going to be seeing lots of folks up there, but I also really wanted to see Phish, and your average shed/arena just isn’t the same as a festival setting. I’ve only been to Magnaball but it stands as one of the best weekends of my life. Everything that surrounds the fest makes you realize it’s a once in a lifetime thing. That’s what’s been so hard about this one I think.

That's how I feel about SBIX. Magna is a close second. It's a feeling you can't really describe. It's a giant party, but there's so much more to that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    Not being able to stream live Phish shows all weekend afforded me the opportunity to listen to lots of other stuff and come up with some realizations:

-Alpharetta N1 still overrated, but that Hood peak is just WOW

-Gorge N3 underrated show; although the Crosseyed jam isn't the high energy in your face, peak after peak type improv, I really enjoy the subtle ambient-like nature and the transition to Twist then Waves is very nice

-Tahoe Tweezer gets me every time, I'm always lulled into thinking, "this really isn't that good" during the first 20 or so min then all of a sudden BOOM and the last 15min or so is just so pristine; amazing piece of music thats worth a close listen at least once every couple of months; maybe my favorite Phish jam ever

-JRAD is probably the best jam band in the world not named Phish right now

Old 08-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #59952
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Man...watching Magnaball is really hurting right now. Sucks so hard, I wanted this past weekend in the worst way.
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #59953
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

We really need Dick’s to get here so that people can move on. The cure for missing out on Phish is more Phish
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #59954
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Healing process continues.

Hampton trip booked, all 3 nights!!

#LetsGo2.0!

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #59955
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post

#LetsGo2.0!
    I really wanna hit up Hampton. Bucket list venue.
    Old 08-21-2018, 06:01 AM   #59956
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    We really need Dick’s to get here so that people can move on. The cure for missing out on Phish is more Phish
    If I was a actually going it would help. Streaming it may hurt even more. Albany however, the countdown is already on
    Quote:
    Old 08-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #59957
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If I was a actually going it would help. Streaming it may hurt even more. Albany however, the countdown is already on
    I agree with this, except that I don't have another chance to see Phish until MSG NYE if it happens. Even that depends on if I can get tickets.

I am so upset that I didn't go to any of the shows in Alpharetta. I will never make that mistake again.
    Old 08-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #59958
    Taylor36

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Probably been discussed a bunch before, but what are your favorite songs, or even bits, lyrically?

I think Sand is probably up there for best lyrics, this part especially:

I would choose my own religion
    Worship my own spirit
    But if he ever preached to me
    I wouldn't want to hear it
    I'd drop him a forgotten god
    Languishing in shame
    And then if I hit stormy seas
    I'd have myself to blame
    I like Pebbles and Marbles lyrics

She started a blaze from one tiny spark
    I didn't even detect
    She loved the light, was dismayed by the dark
    The stars though she seemed to respect

The faint light that flutters at night to the earth
    Would land in her eyes and collect
    Luminous creatures she'd find in the surf
    I never thought to inspect

Pebbles and marbles like things on my mind
    Seem to get lost and harder to find
    When I am alone I am inclined
    If I find a pebble in sand
    To think that it fell from my hand

She gave me ideas
    Planted the seed
    But she never stopped to reflect
    The course that she's on, wherever it leads
    I never would redirect

Pebbles and marbles like words from a friend
    Make us hold tight but are lost in the end
    When we're alone we all seem to tend
    If we find a marble in dust
    To wish someone left it for us
    Taylor36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #59959
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Might have to pull the Mexico trigger
    Quote:
    Old 08-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #59960
    excitingjae

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

It was 5:30-ish and I was almost home from work when I got the call from my wife's cousin, whom I would be going to Curveball with, that the fest was cancelled. We decided that since we had all this camping gear packed we might as well go camping for a night. We went to Rickett's Glen and brought some of the beer I had bought, packed a portable DVD player and watched Bittersweet Motel. This would have been my first festival and his first Phish concert.
    Old 08-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #59961
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post

#LetsGo2.0!

Lets get it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #59962
    NextMovement41
    BBQ BEER FREEDOM

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Same here, lets go Albany!

The pain subsides each day a little bit
    Old 08-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #59963
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextMovement41 View Post
    The pain subsides each day a little bit

yep. i took my bracelet off this morning. listened to some island tour during my commute, which felt a bit odd i wont lie.

my sisters, bro-in-law, and i have an email chain going about the missed weekend. seems like its getting more light-hearted but it still sucks.
    Old 08-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #59964
    excitingjae

My Tour Central Stats

Weirdly enough I'm listening to some DMB to overcome to loss of Curveball. Finally opened up Live Trax 45 and I found my copy of Live Trax 3 that I haven't listened to in a long while.
    Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #59965
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

LT45 has healing powers

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #59966
    ryguy469

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

what the heck is a DMB?
    ryguy469 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #59967
    crush_me_16125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAPUNZEL13 View Post
    I really wanna hit up Hampton. Bucket list venue.
    DO IT!

Amazing venue.

Thinking about adding part of that weekend. Already gonna be a whirlwind of a run though going from Nashville straight to 4 nights of Hulaween. The gf wants to do Vegas, but I would probably only be able to do the last 2 nights and I feel like it would almost be too much of a tease to do Phish Vegas and miss the Halloween set.
    Old 08-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #59968
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crush_me_16125 View Post
    DO IT!

Amazing venue.

Thinking about adding part of that weekend. Already gonna be a whirlwind of a run though going from Nashville straight to 4 nights of Hulaween. The gf wants to do Vegas, but I would probably only be able to do the last 2 nights and I feel like it would almost be too much of a tease to do Phish Vegas and miss the Halloween set.
    My wife and I talked about this too and felt the same way. We are just going to hold out hope for NYE MSG and put our Curveball refund toward that.
    Old 08-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #59969
    NumberPhorty

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

The fact I have wook flu from the 48 hours I was at Watkins is insult to injury.
    NumberPhorty is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #59970
    excitingjae

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NumberPhorty View Post
    The fact I have wook flu from the 48 hours I was at Watkins is insult to injury.
    And to think if you had drank the water you may have died.

Tags
    phish