Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riffs - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2022, 03:29 PM   #31
6ixtynin9
 
6ixtynin9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 88

Shows Seen: 9

Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

Look no further than the band insisting on Steve Harris engineer Everyday sessions, only to be placated with 'retaining Harris, alongside Ballard's preferred engineer, and informing Harris he really ought think of his time in LA (with the band) as "a paid vacation" [instead]' ... the band needed better representation to protect their needs/interests (during this era)!
They should have shelved Flohr, and re'upped Lillywhite, imo.
Quote:
'I don't think I'll ever forgive Bruce Flohr to be honest. Because he was mean, and weak.' -Sillywhite @ approx 00:57'50; on approaching Carter & shelving tLWS.
Specifically...
Quote:
Here's how drummer Carter Beauford explained the Lillywhite/Ballard transition to Rolling Stone earlier this year: "Bruce and I stepped outside one evening after doing some takes, and he said, 'Carter, how do you feel about this record?' I just had to come out and tell him I wasn't feeling it. The vibe wasn't there, you know? It was lacking everything the Dave Matthews Band was about. So I said, 'Look, I don't feel it, and I'm almost certain the other guys don't feel it. We need to make a move.' And Bruce said, 'That's all I needed to hear.' From that point he began working to find someone else to produce the record and working toward putting our heads into a forward and positive space." --Rolling Stone Jul 11, 2001
6ixtynin9 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-08-2022, 04:11 PM   #32
    theGIG15
     
    theGIG15's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Los Angeles
    Posts: 138

    Shows Seen: 22

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    it's funny how time changes things; stefan gets pissed off over someone calling The Dave Matthews Band "Dave's Band" (que horror!) in 2000, then by 2022 his twitter essence w/r/t anything DMB related boils down to "I show up and play what dave tells me to play" (and has for, like, 7-8 years!)
    If anyone is interested in the Stefan/Lillywhite twitter spat, I posted screenshots of it all a here when it went down: https://antsmarching.org/forum/showt...0#post17701350

    Starts third post down - screenshots spread across 7 posts. It's really petty, but IMO worth checking out to get a band member's direct perspective on some of what was discussed in the podcast.
    theGIG15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #33
    #MDMBGA
     
    #MDMBGA's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Posts: 133

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGIG15 View Post
    If anyone is interested in the Stefan/Lillywhite twitter spat, I posted screenshots of it all a here when it went down: https://antsmarching.org/forum/showt...0#post17701350

    Starts third post down - screenshots spread across 7 posts. It's really petty, but IMO worth checking out to get a band member's direct perspective on some of what was discussed in the podcast.
    Gotta appreciate Stefan. Worked/works really hard. Great musician. Fortunate enough to be super successful since he was 18. Makes a living doing what most people dream of. Gigantic chip on his shoulder.
    #MDMBGA is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #34
    Typical_Ant
     
    Join Date: Jan 2022
    Posts: 531

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    it's funny how time changes things; stefan gets pissed off over someone calling The Dave Matthews Band "Dave's Band" (que horror!) in 2000, then by 2022 his twitter essence w/r/t anything DMB related boils down to "I show up and play what dave tells me to play" (and has for, like, 7-8 years!)
    perhaps his age/wisdome allowed him to get over the semantics. It's always been Dave's band.
    Typical_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2022, 07:12 PM   #35
    RainDog1980
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: North Scituate, RI
    Posts: 1,535

    Shows Seen: 12

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    I don't feel like we really heard anything new out of this, other than the review of the songs. It is surprising that he's still so focused on the liner notes thing, he even kept bringing it back to that when the conversation had moved on.

    Regarding the "non-musician musician" comment, I completely understand what he is referring to. Some people have music in them and others are taught, reach a certain level of proficiency, and never get any better because they don't have the innate skill to master the instrument. That is Boyd to a "t".
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2022, 07:38 PM   #36
    LaLaLaLaHey
     
    LaLaLaLaHey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2016
    Posts: 3,584

    Shows Seen: 21

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jw209 View Post
    Yeah, at least to me (and a friend of mine who also listened) it's unclear. He talks about working with Boyd to help him find his way on albums, but it's not until a good 10+ or so min. later that he mentions working with the "weakest link".

    By then, Boyd hasn't been mentioned in quite a while. When he does say that, it's amid the conversation about the beef he and Stefan had over introducing them as "Dave's band." So it seems unclear as to whether he's referring back several minutes to working with Boyd or whether he is referring to Stefan, who he was most recently speaking about.

    It does seem likely he's talking about Boyd, mostly because we know he's the weak link in the band -- but when Lillywhite says it he's a little pissed off and he had just been talking about his issue with Stefan.

    Just came to say that there is not even a remote possibility imo that he was talking about Stefan. I also don’t think being a weak link doesn’t have anything to do with Stefan being annoyed that he said “Dave’s band.”
    __________________
    The future is no place to place your better days.
    LaLaLaLaHey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2022, 07:44 PM   #37
    TheStone91
     
    TheStone91's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Chicago, IL
    Posts: 6,260

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    I don't feel like we really heard anything new out of this, other than the review of the songs. It is surprising that he's still so focused on the liner notes thing, he even kept bringing it back to that when the conversation had moved on.

    Regarding the "non-musician musician" comment, I completely understand what he is referring to. Some people have music in them and others are taught, reach a certain level of proficiency, and never get any better because they don't have the innate skill to master the instrument. That is Boyd to a "t".

    This. I was a little letdown after listening, nothing really too interesting came to light about the sessions in this interview with Steve, and I was expecting some juicy tidbits…
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #38
    Cobo
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Posts: 1,587

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    This. I was a little letdown after listening, nothing really too interesting came to light about the sessions in this interview with Steve, and I was expecting some juicy tidbits…
    I also felt the same way. Really not too much here other than him being super butt hurt about not being thanked on Busted Stuff. He rushed through the song recaps too.
    Cobo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 08:00 AM   #39
    6ixtynin9
     
    6ixtynin9's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 88

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobo View Post
    …He rushed through the song recaps too.
    He didn’t really ‘rush him,’ rather just shouted him down, (one of few times Norlander exhibits near-uncontrollable fandom imo).
    6ixtynin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #40
    6ixtynin9
     
    6ixtynin9's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 88

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
    He doesn’t even mention Stefan once if I remember correctly. Briefly talks about Dave, Carter, Roi, Boyd. No Stefan.
    Not per se (re: studio output); Unless referring to, when working with, 'weakest link' or [Dave said he] '...could go solo, do without all the griping...' during Crash sessions?
    Norlander touches on Sillywhite/Stefan's (mostly redacted, May 2020) twitter fye. Lillywhite directly addresses transaction and Stefan's primary gripe: Calling 'us Dave's band' in 1999.
    6ixtynin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #41
    JimBeam41
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: NJ
    Posts: 266

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cobo View Post
    He rushed through the song recaps too.
    Agree, i wish Matt slowed him down, seemed like Steve was controlling the interview at that part by jumping from song to song. Busted Stuff was talked about for 5 seconds.
    JimBeam41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #42
    6ixtynin9
     
    6ixtynin9's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 88

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Loved the interview, Lillywhite is quick to blame people and make excuses for other things
    Sure; And yet... He's saying what most (some, just me?) already suspected.
    Regardless, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than what Dave/band/representatives had previously insisted:
    '...Ballard was best (thing to happen to Dave) for band...' or they were tired of ...same sounding record(s), ...nothing new, ...reproducing nostalgia, etc.
    More or less insisting what tLWS really needed was Glen Ballard, (i.e. 2002's Busted Stuff; p.s. Special Thanks to Glen Ballard).

    Even if one might only reside in a vacuum of dmb's studio discography lone, still couldn't accommodate the multiverse where the segue from 1998's Before These Crowded Streets and 2001's Everyday is anything but "linear," "organic," or "natively"; save for any agency of A&R (à la "...liaison between talent and the record label or publishing company; every activity involving artists to the point of album release is under the purview, and responsibility, of Artists & Repertoire") ...then yeah!
    Ab·so·lute·ly
    That aforementioned progression not only makes genuine $ense, but also the best thing that could ever happen to the band (and their new/refreshed audience demographic) 💯
    6ixtynin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #43
    Moose Thompson
    F Them Kids
     
    Moose Thompson's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 991

    Shows Seen: 40

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    The excuses he was making for the mistake of referring to them as Dave's band came across pretty awkwardly in my opinion
    In fairness he flat out says he is an awkward guy and says/does awkward things under pressure. Which, I can 100% relate lol. I thought he fully owned how fucked that slip of the tongue was and understood why the guys would have received it in such a negative manner.

    I could totally see someone being awkward around girls trying to impress them and saying something like "Dave's band" with no ill intent. Especially back then. It felt like the one absolute regret he's come to terms with. The other general "I take credit when it's good and blame when it's bad" felt awkward and like boilerplate producer talk to me.
    Moose Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 11:43 AM   #44
    eggsrsweet
     
    eggsrsweet's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 3,636

    Shows Seen: 41

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    God, this thread is strange. I feel like I disagree with just about every single one of you in different ways lol.

    I thought the two episodes were fantastic and revealed a lot. And I fail to see how Steve is the bad guy here. Y’all are talking about how “butthurt” he is but I found it actually kinda brave for him to admit that it still bothers him. BECAUSE HE’S RIGHT. He spent those months with the band helping develop those songs… whoever made the decision (whether it be Dave, Coran, Bruce or all of them) to not thank him is a huge dickhead in my opinion. But y’all just wanna stand on your high horse and judge Lillywhite for whatever reason because DMB can do no wrong…

    Also, the fact that possibly one of the biggest reasons (at least according to Steve Harris) that we don’t get the Lillywhite Sessions finished is because the fucking DESIGN of Haunted Hollow and how the acoustics were awful feels like some sort of sick cosmic joke. Like I never would’ve imagined it was something as stupid/silly as that. Really upsetting.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 01:26 PM   #45
    Carson31
     
    Carson31's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2002
    Posts: 686

    Shows Seen: 178

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    I didn't know that Flohr had Capshaw fire Lillywhite. Makes even more sense that Lillywhite doesn't like him. He didn't have the nerve to fire Lillywhite himself even though it was his decision. I'd love to get Flohr & Lillywhite in the same interview and hear them go at it. I wonder if Flohr would ever admit he has regrets about making a bad decision? I've said this before but Flohr claims he fired Lillywhite because he wanted to challenge the band. My guess is the truth is likely that RCA was putting the screws to Flohr after BTCS wasn't as big as Crash, and the Lillywhite Sessions were looking more like BTCS part II than Crash part II. It's all about the numbers. It's also a glimpse at how this stuff actually works (worked), just in case anyone had any doubts about whether the band or label wears the pants. Gosh, it makes me wonder if the label might actually be the hold up on the "new" album? And it's probably not worth getting into but "I think" Lillywhite could have cited several other reasons that he & Flohr don't get along, and as far as I know, they still lob shots at each other. But I will say that Lillywhite seemed more controlled in his criticisms than I've heard him be, almost like maybe he wants to leave the door open on his side. In 2012 the word from Flohr himself was that Lillywhite would be back eventually (this coming after Dave had begun to work with Cavallo again). They (Lillywhite/Flohr) both napalmed that bridge between 2014-2018, but I got the sense listening to Lillywhite that he would be open to a reunion if the dynamics changed.

    "I think" Ballard was thanked in the Busted Stuff liner notes because he had a pre-production / writing session with Dave just prior to the official Busted Stuff sessions. It's my understanding that Ballard didn't want to produce another DMB album because he took the Everyday criticism to heart, but he was integral in helping Dave form a few tracks for Busted Stuff so his credit is due for sure. Ballard also encouraged the band to create a documentary about the fans & live experience which became the Gorge 2002 release. Ballard has gold/platinum awards for Everyday, Busted Stuff and Gorge decorating the entrance to his studio. He's still very much in the picture.

    I'm not sure I agree with Lillywhite's recollection that he and LeRoi got along. I'd lean heavily towards LeRoi being the reason that Lillywhite didn't produce Big Whiskey (which Lillywhite expected to do). I'd guess that the stories fans believe about the LeRoi "quitting" the band in late 2006/early 2007, and then being begged to come back for the March 2007 Vegas shows, are at best super sugarcoated, and at worst complete lies. I'd bet that serious discussions about the composition of the band took place in 2005 (and prior), and that changes were nearly made that would have significantly altered the touring band from 2006 and on. Some say that Robert Randolph was asked to join the touring band in 2006 (including Robert Randolph himself), and it's my opinion that he wasn't the first person they tried to get to play electric (or slide) guitar on tour. I think that Tim Reynolds was at least the 3rd choice by the time he joined in 2008.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 02:54 PM   #46
    monizzle145
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 1,370

    Shows Seen: 42

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eggsrsweet View Post
    God, this thread is strange. I feel like I disagree with just about every single one of you in different ways lol.

    I thought the two episodes were fantastic and revealed a lot. And I fail to see how Steve is the bad guy here. Y’all are talking about how “butthurt” he is but I found it actually kinda brave for him to admit that it still bothers him. BECAUSE HE’S RIGHT. He spent those months with the band helping develop those songs… whoever made the decision (whether it be Dave, Coran, Bruce or all of them) to not thank him is a huge dickhead in my opinion. But y’all just wanna stand on your high horse and judge Lillywhite for whatever reason because DMB can do no wrong…

    Also, the fact that possibly one of the biggest reasons (at least according to Steve Harris) that we don’t get the Lillywhite Sessions finished is because the fucking DESIGN of Haunted Hollow and how the acoustics were awful feels like some sort of sick cosmic joke. Like I never would’ve imagined it was something as stupid/silly as that. Really upsetting.
    This is how I feel. The band made the mistake of trying to record in their hometown and on top of that cut corners on making a studio that lacked so much of what is needed to make a good record.

    The band and the reps of the band did a terrible job of communicating with Steve Lillywhite and Steve Harris and deciding the next steps after the initial session. How the heck to you invite Steve Harris to come the California then the producer you hire tells him to kick rocks because he has his own guy. That is horrible communication by the label and the band.

    This band was amazing live plain and simple and Lillywhite did nothing to help the live show. However in the studio he is a huge reason why this band was so successful. So even if they wanted to part ways with Lillywhite they should have did it much better than they did.
    __________________
    2022: Mansfield/Hartford, Creek X2, Alpine X2, SPAC X2, Sound on Sound, Wedding (New Wife Coming Soon)
    Youtube: Concertvids34
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Monizzle145
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #47
    ToySoldier#34
     
    ToySoldier#34's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 53,172

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    I felt like I learned a lot from this part 2, lots of details and insight that I found interesting
    __________________
    Make E1 Great Again
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 04:33 PM   #48
    aircavmike
     
    Join Date: Apr 2002
    Posts: 1,318

    Shows Seen: 235

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Carson…. You’ve posted some interesting tidbits that I’ve never heard before. Can you elaborate

    1. The plan to bring in Lillywhite for Big Whiskey
    2. The Flohr Lillywhite feud 2014-18
    3. Randolph being asked to join back in 06 (I do know he was in the studio with them during that timeframe but never heard him being asked to join)
    4. Any idea on what songs Ballard helped Matthews with for Busted Stuff? I assume Captain and Big eyed fish since they underwent some big changes
    aircavmike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 04:35 PM   #49
    Beauford3641
     
    Join Date: Sep 2021
    Posts: 45

    Shows Seen: 3

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aircavmike View Post
    Carson…. You’ve posted some interesting tidbits that I’ve never heard before. Can you elaborate

    1. The plan to bring in Lillywhite for Big Whiskey
    2. The Flohr Lillywhite feud 2014-18
    3. Randolph being asked to join back in 06 (I do know he was in the studio with them during that timeframe but never heard him being asked to join)
    4. Any idea on what songs Ballard helped Matthews with for Busted Stuff? I assume Captain and Big eyed fish since they underwent some big changes
    I'm with you. Some of these things I'd never heard before until now.
    Beauford3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 05:18 PM   #50
    jaymas9
     
    jaymas9's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 5,867

    Shows Seen: 27

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Did not know early 2000 haunted hollow was a sonic mess. Sounds like a real physical thing that could have led to a lot of problems like Steve Harris is saying. That's honestly wild. Makes the whole damn thing a fatiguing process. Tired brain leads to a lot of silly shit, makes you irrational.

    However, the fact know one pointed out what everyone must have been feeling, and why Lillywhite didn't try and move them after a week or two as the most experience guy is pretty wild to me.
    __________________
    I find sometimes it's easy to be myself,
    Sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else."

    Last edited by jaymas9; 06-09-2022 at 05:22 PM.
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 05:29 PM   #51
    jaymas9
     
    jaymas9's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 5,867

    Shows Seen: 27

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Also, thought it was interesting Harris said he didn't actually feel the vibe sour and didn't get the inclination there were problems.
    __________________
    I find sometimes it's easy to be myself,
    Sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else."
    jaymas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 05:42 PM   #52
    groogrux27
     
    groogrux27's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 1,720

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    i feel like i've always been under the impression that everyone was kinda upset and not in a good mood throughout the sessions

    what it more seems like is that everyone was in a fine mood, it was difficult, and the band didn't put themselves in a situation to succeed

    it was the first time they met adversity in terms of a situation around a recording that wasn't ideal, and instead of trying to salvage it, they backed out and went a different route

    pretty frustrating
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpecialAgent007 View Post
    I just wanted to check what the consensus on this song was so I could decide how I feel. I can't remember if we hate it or not because I didn't pay attention when it was more relevant. Sorry.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #53
    NewAgedNerd
     
    NewAgedNerd's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 1,305

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post

    I'm not sure I agree with Lillywhite's recollection that he and LeRoi got along. I'd lean heavily towards LeRoi being the reason that Lillywhite didn't produce Big Whiskey (which Lillywhite expected to do).

    Insane drop here
    NewAgedNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #54
    groogrux27
     
    groogrux27's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Posts: 1,720

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
    I didn't know that Flohr had Capshaw fire Lillywhite. Makes even more sense that Lillywhite doesn't like him. He didn't have the nerve to fire Lillywhite himself even though it was his decision. I'd love to get Flohr & Lillywhite in the same interview and hear them go at it. I wonder if Flohr would ever admit he has regrets about making a bad decision? I've said this before but Flohr claims he fired Lillywhite because he wanted to challenge the band. My guess is the truth is likely that RCA was putting the screws to Flohr after BTCS wasn't as big as Crash, and the Lillywhite Sessions were looking more like BTCS part II than Crash part II. It's all about the numbers. It's also a glimpse at how this stuff actually works (worked), just in case anyone had any doubts about whether the band or label wears the pants. Gosh, it makes me wonder if the label might actually be the hold up on the "new" album? And it's probably not worth getting into but "I think" Lillywhite could have cited several other reasons that he & Flohr don't get along, and as far as I know, they still lob shots at each other. But I will say that Lillywhite seemed more controlled in his criticisms than I've heard him be, almost like maybe he wants to leave the door open on his side. In 2012 the word from Flohr himself was that Lillywhite would be back eventually (this coming after Dave had begun to work with Cavallo again). They (Lillywhite/Flohr) both napalmed that bridge between 2014-2018, but I got the sense listening to Lillywhite that he would be open to a reunion if the dynamics changed.

    "I think" Ballard was thanked in the Busted Stuff liner notes because he had a pre-production / writing session with Dave just prior to the official Busted Stuff sessions. It's my understanding that Ballard didn't want to produce another DMB album because he took the Everyday criticism to heart, but he was integral in helping Dave form a few tracks for Busted Stuff so his credit is due for sure. Ballard also encouraged the band to create a documentary about the fans & live experience which became the Gorge 2002 release. Ballard has gold/platinum awards for Everyday, Busted Stuff and Gorge decorating the entrance to his studio. He's still very much in the picture.

    I'm not sure I agree with Lillywhite's recollection that he and LeRoi got along. I'd lean heavily towards LeRoi being the reason that Lillywhite didn't produce Big Whiskey (which Lillywhite expected to do). I'd guess that the stories fans believe about the LeRoi "quitting" the band in late 2006/early 2007, and then being begged to come back for the March 2007 Vegas shows, are at best super sugarcoated, and at worst complete lies. I'd bet that serious discussions about the composition of the band took place in 2005 (and prior), and that changes were nearly made that would have significantly altered the touring band from 2006 and on. Some say that Robert Randolph was asked to join the touring band in 2006 (including Robert Randolph himself), and it's my opinion that he wasn't the first person they tried to get to play electric (or slide) guitar on tour. I think that Tim Reynolds was at least the 3rd choice by the time he joined in 2008.
    i always read your posts like 3 or 4 times to make sure i dont miss anything


    gosh, the stuff you know man
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpecialAgent007 View Post
    I just wanted to check what the consensus on this song was so I could decide how I feel. I can't remember if we hate it or not because I didn't pay attention when it was more relevant. Sorry.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    j. mayer could easily replace dave in dmb
    groogrux27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 07:27 PM   #55
    Carson31
     
    Carson31's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2002
    Posts: 686

    Shows Seen: 178

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aircavmike View Post
    Carson…. You’ve posted some interesting tidbits that I’ve never heard before. Can you elaborate

    1. The plan to bring in Lillywhite for Big Whiskey
    2. The Flohr Lillywhite feud 2014-18
    3. Randolph being asked to join back in 06 (I do know he was in the studio with them during that timeframe but never heard him being asked to join)
    4. Any idea on what songs Ballard helped Matthews with for Busted Stuff? I assume Captain and Big eyed fish since they underwent some big changes
    1. Lillywhite told me that at some point. I'll see if I can find some public corroboration for it but he's the source on that bit. He told me he thought he was going to be the guy for Big Whiskey and then they went another way. For what it's worth, Batson also thought he'd produce Big Whiskey and he was disappointed when they went with "The Green Day guy." As for LeRoi possibly being the reason that Lillywhite didn't produce Big Whiskey, it's just my opinion (albeit an educated opinion).

    2. Lillywhite was upset about the UTTAD release in late 2014 for a few reasons. He directed his anger toward Flohr on twitter. I told Lillywhite who was responsible, and then the person responsible actually blamed me & someone at Sony Legacy. But I remember Flohr saying to me "Tell Steve I'm too busy working with DMB on the next album."

    The AFTW mix thing came about in 2018 and that sort of reopened some wounds for Lillywhite but then he apparently upset Stefan when he encouraged fans to find his mixes. That started the Lillywhite/Stefan feud that extended into the "this is Dave's band" drama that came later on twitter.

    I think Lillywhite gets along fine with Dave. I think his beef is almost exclusively with Flohr.

    3. This is according to Randolph. I had heard a rumor he was asked to join and then I asked him in person some years later, and he said that he was indeed asked to join. It's possible he's blowing smoke, but I don't think he was, given that I've heard similar things from others. You're probably thinking "why didn't he join?" And that's a separate thing that involves my opinion and it might be best not to open that can of worms because I don't want to hurt any feelings. I've been told that people in/around the band learn things from my posts, so I don't want to overdo it.

    4. Ballard co-wrote Counting The Stars which became You Never Know. Dave supposedly also played Ballard a few other ideas he was working on. I can't say for certain exactly which others though I know there were others. During that session they also recorded the vocal take for Joyful Girl. The 2nd Ballard session is one of the bigger DMB mysteries that's waiting to be unraveled. Maybe Norlander will read this and be able to get Ballard on the record about some of this stuff.

    I kind of rushed through this but hopefully I provided the answers you seek.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 08:39 PM   #56
    mikelibrot
     
    Join Date: May 2022
    Posts: 60

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Holy shit, Carson. This information is so much to take in but wow thank you for this.
    mikelibrot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 08:43 PM   #57
    mikelibrot
     
    Join Date: May 2022
    Posts: 60

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
    1. Lillywhite told me that at some point. I'll see if I can find some public corroboration for it but he's the source on that bit. He told me he thought he was going to be the guy for Big Whiskey and then they went another way. For what it's worth, Batson also thought he'd produce Big Whiskey and he was disappointed when they went with "The Green Day guy." As for LeRoi possibly being the reason that Lillywhite didn't produce Big Whiskey, it's just my opinion (albeit an educated opinion).

    2. Lillywhite was upset about the UTTAD release in late 2014 for a few reasons. He directed his anger toward Flohr on twitter. I told Lillywhite who was responsible, and then the person responsible actually blamed me & someone at Sony Legacy. But I remember Flohr saying to me "Tell Steve I'm too busy working with DMB on the next album."

    The AFTW mix thing came about in 2018 and that sort of reopened some wounds for Lillywhite but then he apparently upset Stefan when he encouraged fans to find his mixes. That started the Lillywhite/Stefan feud that extended into the "this is Dave's band" drama that came later on twitter.

    I think Lillywhite gets along fine with Dave. I think his beef is almost exclusively with Flohr.

    3. This is according to Randolph. I had heard a rumor he was asked to join and then I asked him in person some years later, and he said that he was indeed asked to join. It's possible he's blowing smoke, but I don't think he was, given that I've heard similar things from others. You're probably thinking "why didn't he join?" And that's a separate thing that involves my opinion and it might be best not to open that can of worms because I don't want to hurt any feelings. I've been told that people in/around the band learn things from my posts, so I don't want to overdo it.

    4. Ballard co-wrote Counting The Stars which became You Never Know. Dave supposedly also played Ballard a few other ideas he was working on. I can't say for certain exactly which others though I know there were others. During that session they also recorded the vocal take for Joyful Girl. The 2nd Ballard session is one of the bigger DMB mysteries that's waiting to be unraveled. Maybe Norlander will read this and be able to get Ballard on the record about some of this stuff.

    I kind of rushed through this but hopefully I provided the answers you seek.
    mikelibrot is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 08:48 PM   #58
    YankeesDMB41
    Feud of the Year
     
    YankeesDMB41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Location: NY
    Posts: 14,603

    Shows Seen: 56

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    It was a pleasure to read that.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedfish8807 View Post
    Do you two do ANYTHING else in life besides jerk each other in your mom’s basement in between posting on Ants fucking Marching??
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    You're just as terrible a person as Toysoldier is.
    YankeesDMB41 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #59
    ElijahSoRight72
     
    ElijahSoRight72's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: Greater Philadelphia
    Posts: 1,684

    Shows Seen: 19

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
    It's all about the numbers. It's also a glimpse at how this stuff actually works (worked), just in case anyone had any doubts about whether the band or label wears the pants. Gosh, it makes me wonder if the label might actually be the hold up on the "new" album?

    "I think" Ballard was thanked in the Busted Stuff liner notes because he had a pre-production / writing session with Dave just prior to the official Busted Stuff sessions. It's my understanding that Ballard didn't want to produce another DMB album because he took the Everyday criticism to heart, but he was integral in helping Dave form a few tracks for Busted Stuff so his credit is due for sure. Ballard also encouraged the band to create a documentary about the fans & live experience which became the Gorge 2002 release. Ballard has gold/platinum awards for Everyday, Busted Stuff and Gorge decorating the entrance to his studio. He's still very much in the picture.
    First bolded: I definitely believe you, I want to make that clear. And that would answer a lot of long lingering questions about this album process. I just have a question about what would Flohr/the label realistically do to change the outcome of how this album charts or sells? Especially based on the songs themselves? I feel like at this point in the band's career, whoever is going to buy the DMB album will buy it, and whoever won't, won't. I would understand if we saw them try to market Come Tomorrow in any way, but they really didn't. None of the CT songs were in movies, tv shows, commercials, Spotify playlists, or any of the other ways labels market their stuff in the streaming era. This became long winded but I'm just curious about the role the label would play in a DMB album in 2022.

    Secondly, did Dave and Co. ask Ballard to produce the next album after Everyday? I know you've mentioned the second Ballard sessions with him and Dave, but was Ballard officially the guy they wanted for the next one?
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2022, 09:12 PM   #60
    eggsrsweet
     
    eggsrsweet's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Posts: 3,636

    Shows Seen: 41

    Re: Podcast: The Lillywhite Sessions, with Steve Lillywhite (Part 2) - Records & Riff

    I only became a hardcore like late 07/early 08. But I definitely remember there being rumors on the boards back then that the next album (which eventually became Big Whiskey) would be produced by Lillywhite before they officially announced Cavallo as the producer in like Spring of 08.
    eggsrsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Tags
    busted stuff, lillywhite sessions, podcasts, steve lillywhite, studio albums

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram