Phillip Phillips DEBUT ALBUM "The World From The Side Of The Moon" - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #121
atrippingbillie
gardt

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Phillip Phillips DEBUT ALBUM "The World From The Side Of The Moon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneje View Post
Right, if the devil is shaped like a pile of million dollar bills and the angel looks more like a starving artist.
I understand, but that is still my opinion

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #122
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

Shows Seen: 159

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

I never understood some of the hate for him.... Sure he sounds a lot like Dave, and you can obviously tell Dave is a huge influence for him, but the guy obviously has talent. I'm still in my 20's, and I for one would love to see a brand new artist similar to my favorite band ever. DMB isn't going to be around forever... If you look at today's music and what's on the radio these days, P.P. is a breath of fresh air IMO. The snippets sounded very upbeat, a little mainstream, but I also heard a few songs in there that sounded incredible, a little deeper than some of the other songs. Don't foget, this is his first album after American Idol. I'm sure the producer have him do things a certain way... Just look at his song "Take Me Away", and how he's been performing that live. That song to me is just incredible for a new artist, and he performs it and jams it out just like Dave & Tim. I know a lot of you don't like when people "copy" off of Dave, but if the talent is there, I don't see why it matters. Just my opinion. I'm pumped up for his first tour to see how he performs live.
    Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #123
    vegeevore

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

my thoughts...

i am a fully converted PP fan now and love what he brings to the table, though my jaw still drops from time to time when i watch his similarities to dave in a live setting.
    Drive Me is like jason mraz mixed with dmb. it's ridiculous.
    this album seems like it's going to be a GREAT debut album for him. considering that he is an idol winner (aka expectations for a shitty overproduced album), he did a good job of writing the majority of these songs, writing thought provoking lyrics, some unusual but catchy melodies, and some sweet guitar licks. my only complaint is that it might be a bit more mainstream than i was hoping for, but remember, he's an idol winner so that was probably a given.
    buy the Target deluxe version if you want all the bonus songs (take me away, wicked game, thriller, hazel). hazel and take me away are probably two of his more unique songs and i understand why they didn't make the cut. not quite mainstream enough.

props to PP for making a high quality album and an album that will probably have some widespread appeal.
    vegeevore is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #124
    vegeevore

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    the winner of AI is signed to a contract that basically gives AI the right to make the winner do whatever they wish with little to no say from the person who will be performing. they really don't have any other option. they signed a deal at the start of the show saying that if they win, they agree to AI's record deal, which includes that AI tour, at least 1 album, and all these promotional things they have to do.

many people believe that its better to actually come in 2nd or 3rd on AI because you still get the publicity of being in the finale but you're not obligated to any record deal, so you're free to do whatever you want with whoever you want for your first album. the only thing the runners up are required to do is go on the tour.

once the AI contract is up, PP could make an album that sounds like whatever he wants. but this first one will be heavily influenced by the heads of AI and their partners.
    your synopsis is actually a little bit outdated. i read an article earlier in the year that basically stated that the runner up gets shafted moreso now, too. it was something like this...

1st place gets $300k, an album contract, and obligation to stay with the record label for some extended period of time (5 years? 3 albums? i forget). PP has stated that he doesn't receive any proceeds from the massive profits generated from Home. but i believe i read in that article that he will receive proceeds from the album depending on how it sells.

2nd place gets significantly less money and also has the obligation to stay with the record label for some extended period of time AND the record label has complete control over what that artist releases (it could just be a series of singles).

PP did a great job of getting his songs on the album and not letting the producers put out cheesy shit like lee dewyze did on his album.

interestingly, i can easily identify the 2 songs that PP didn't write on the album (besides Home). the melodies are noticeably more mainstream and less intriguing, i think.

Last edited by vegeevore; 11-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #125
    vegeevore

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I don't know that he said he "hates" Home as much as he just said it's not really him. Last interview I saw said something to the effect that there's going to be some songs like Home on the album, and others that are more acoustic rock with the horns and stuff. Which, I'm guessing, essentially amounts to a compromise between him and the label.

Still think the hate for the guy is goofy, but maybe if I was as invested in DMB as I was 3-4 years ago, it would elicit more of a reaction from me. I don't know.
    i spoke with PP's parents after the idol finale, and his mom told me that he really didn't want Home to be his song for the finale, but they forced it on him. obviously in retrospect, it was a great move. i know for a fact PP has come to like Home, though he's probably sick of it after having to play it everywhere he goes.
    Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #126
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

samples sound pretty damn good to me

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #127
    jkrue22
    What it means

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liljoey90 View Post
    I never understood some of the hate for him.... Sure he sounds a lot like Dave, and you can obviously tell Dave is a huge influence for him, but the guy obviously has talent. I'm still in my 20's, and I for one would love to see a brand new artist similar to my favorite band ever. DMB isn't going to be around forever... If you look at today's music and what's on the radio these days, P.P. is a breath of fresh air IMO. The snippets sounded very upbeat, a little mainstream, but I also heard a few songs in there that sounded incredible, a little deeper than some of the other songs. Don't foget, this is his first album after American Idol. I'm sure the producer have him do things a certain way... Just look at his song "Take Me Away", and how he's been performing that live. That song to me is just incredible for a new artist, and he performs it and jams it out just like Dave & Tim. I know a lot of you don't like when people "copy" off of Dave, but if the talent is there, I don't see why it matters. Just my opinion. I'm pumped up for his first tour to see how he performs live.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vegeevore View Post
    my thoughts...

i am a fully converted PP fan now and love what he brings to the table, though my jaw still drops from time to time when i watch his similarities to dave in a live setting.
    Drive Me is like jason mraz mixed with dmb. it's ridiculous.
    this album seems like it's going to be a GREAT debut album for him. considering that he is an idol winner (aka expectations for a shitty overproduced album), he did a good job of writing the majority of these songs, writing thought provoking lyrics, some unusual but catchy melodies, and some sweet guitar licks. my only complaint is that it might be a bit more mainstream than i was hoping for, but remember, he's an idol winner so that was probably a given.
    buy the Target deluxe version if you want all the bonus songs (take me away, wicked game, thriller, hazel). hazel and take me away are probably two of his more unique songs and i understand why they didn't make the cut. not quite mainstream enough.

props to PP for making a high quality album and an album that will probably have some widespread appeal.
    These guys get it
    2012 Ants Fantasy Baseball H2H Keeper League and League #4 Champion
    jkrue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #128
    DynastyDrummer1

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I'm looking forward to his album.
    DynastyDrummer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #129
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

It's available on iTunes for pre-order. His new single "Where We Came From" sounds pretty good.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wo...xe/id574870944
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #130
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

My Tour Central Stats

Here's the first song on the album called "Man on the moon". It's live acoustic, he played it the other day. I LOVE it!!! I'm so pumped for this album to drop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbPJVwJil8E
    Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #131
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

My Tour Central Stats

really really hope he takes up on the offer from lillywhite to work on his next album...could be huge..
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #132
    Dannyyankou

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by liljoey90 View Post
    Here's the first song on the album called "Man on the moon". It's live acoustic, he played it the other day. I LOVE it!!! I'm so pumped for this album to drop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbPJVwJil8E
    Is it inspired by Gaucho?

By the way, the first reviews are coming in.
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20648031,00.html
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #133
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Read the Rolling Stone review of this today. Not terribly complimentary (2-1/2 out of 5 stars) in a "We already have Dave and Jason Mraz, so why do we need this guy?" kind of way, but it had good things to say about the lead single. I saw the video for it last weekend on VH1, and the dude is beyond paying homage to Dave: besides his vocal intonation, he holds his guitar the same way and moves around stage in a way that is uncannily like Dave (minus the dance; he doesn't do the dance, which really would have been pushing it). Song was actually pretty good, and I may give this a listen, but it's still Simon's record label, and there have been maybe 2 Idol winners ever who've been given much to work with on their debuts.
    Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #134
    Simm0nS

My Tour Central Stats

No iTunes stream?!?!

2024 - Blossom, Camden N1 & N2
    Simm0nS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #135
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I'm still loling at the title of the album
    Old 11-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #136
    jrod41
    Rowsdower saves us

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    I'm still loling at the title of the album
    DBHOPPTWFTSOTM (don't be hatin on Phillip Phillip's The World From The Side of the Moon.)
    jrod41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #137
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

My Tour Central Stats

im really excited for the song take me away..it has dave matthews written all over that one. i guess its on the target delux album but it isnt listed when you go to the target website

but here is take me away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDYw2pp2Cg
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #138
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramiro24 View Post
    im really excited for the song take me away..it has dave matthews written all over that one. i guess its on the target delux album but it isnt listed when you go to the target website

but here is take me away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDYw2pp2Cg

Take me away is such a great song. As soon as I heard it, I just knew he was in that musical frame of mind and not just looking to write mainstream music. Obviously his debut album is going to be a bit popped up due to him coming off American Idol, but if you look at the songs on it that HE wrote by himself, they are gems. Man On The Moon, Take me Away, A Fool's Dance, Hazel, ETC are all amazing. I can't wait to see how he performs live, his acoustic shows are just like Dave & Tim, you can just tell he's serious about his music and lyrics, and that's what this era really needs.
    Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #139
    dmbfan524
    celebrate we will

Shows Seen: 59

My Tour Central Stats

This album will be great. Could definitely see a Dave and Phillip tour. He's also a member of this site too, I believe.
    Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #140
    casezille
    Trance Dancing

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I cant wait for this album! Watching the webcast he did the other day with the PS22 kids. Loving the new songs so far!
    As long as you are not living in a trailer park, you should be ok.*waits for story time with Ed about the time he was in a trailer after a NASCAR race in Tenneessee with a lawyer, accountant and his wife with tornado warnings and good beer to drink**
    casezille is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #141
    joshizzle3
    dj general

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

did this leak yet??
    joshizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #142
    Hoppytoad
    I remember thinking

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by casezille View Post
    I cant wait for this album! Watching the webcast he did the other day with the PS22 kids. Loving the new songs so far!
    Apparently this was when they practiced it before hand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoURk33ehvM

Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #143
    harryhoudini
    I'm Batman

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a bit confused by the people that say there are no authentic artists out there and the music industry needs this guy (or artists that are serious about lyrics as if there are none).

I'll take a Glen Hansard, Mumford & Sons, Black Keys, Delta Spirit, Mike Doughty, Gary Clark Jr, or a boatload of other bands who also play authentic music over him any day. Not saying he's untalented, but he doesn't feel nearly as authentic as a lot of good people making new music these days.
    Old 11-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #144
    VanHorneDog
    Loving Wings

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

that guy, is no Tim Reynolds he is playing with. so... you know.... fail? hahah
    Old 11-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #145
    VanHorneDog
    Loving Wings

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

i like his voice.
    Old 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #146
    jek3295

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrewD55 View Post
    Read the Rolling Stone review of this today. Not terribly complimentary (2-1/2 out of 5 stars) in a "We already have Dave and Jason Mraz, so why do we need this guy?" kind of way, but it had good things to say about the lead single. I saw the video for it last weekend on VH1, and the dude is beyond paying homage to Dave: besides his vocal intonation, he holds his guitar the same way and moves around stage in a way that is uncannily like Dave (minus the dance; he doesn't do the dance, which really would have been pushing it). Song was actually pretty good, and I may give this a listen, but it's still Simon's record label, and there have been maybe 2 Idol winners ever who've been given much to work with on their debuts.
    I think you're the first person to notice that. trolololol.

Btw, he definitely does do the dance. Doesn't bother me though, I've supported PP since his Idol audition.
    jek3295 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #147
    Simm0nS

My Tour Central Stats

It's out there.....

It's decent. Definitely some good songs on it but some forgettable as well. It'll be interesting to see how his later albums go as he gets more freedom.

Get Up, Get Down sounds like Dave sang the whole song. People will mistake it for a DMB song for sure.

2024 - Blossom, Camden N1 & N2
    Simm0nS is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #148
    fox_lyan

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Guys, DMB is an influential band and surely many younger musician look up to them as their inspiration and role model.

Listening to Phillip Phillips debut album reminds me a lot when the first time I listen to John Mayer's and Jason Mraz's debut. Many people compare both Jason Mraz and John Mayer sounds to be similar to Dave or DMB. But within years we see how both of them finding their own sound and growing up to become household names with major hit singles.

When I listen to Phillips' debut, I feel the same. Yes, some songs sound like something out of DMB album, but this guy has enough talent, and just give him some time, he will find his own signature sound and will become another household name. This guy still has a long career ahead of him.

Last edited by fox_lyan; 11-19-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    fox_lyan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #149
    jiggajm18
    Joe

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fox_lyan View Post
    Guys, DMB is an influential band and surely many younger musician look up to them as their inspiration and role model.

Listening to Phillip Phillips debut album reminds me a lot when the first time I listen to John Mayer's and Jason Mraz's debut. Many people compare both Jason Mraz and John Mayer sounds to be similar to Dave or DMB. But within years we see how both of them finding their own sound and growing up to become household names with major hit singles.

When I listen to Phillips' debut, I feel the same. Yes, some songs sound like something out of DMB album, but this guy has enough talent, and just give him some time, he will find his own signature sound and will become another household name. This guy still has a long career ahead of him.
    john mayer and jason mraz worked their way up, established a solid fanbase over years, particularly through touring. phillip phillips hasn't done that, so i don't know what makes you say this. and that's one of the problems i have with american idol.
    jiggajm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #150
    Keyz
    1 owdah frin fry!!!!

Shows Seen: 40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    john mayer and jason mraz worked their way up, established a solid fanbase over years, particularly through touring. phillip phillips hasn't done that, so i don't know what makes you say this. and that's one of the problems i have with american idol.
    Myself included. Phillip Phillips will always be an American Idol winner. He always will be seen as taking to short cut (at least to music goers like ourselves). He'll never reach the likes of Mraz and Mayer because he didn't take the time to get to where they are now. He did it in a matter of a couple months thanks to the help of a TV show.
    Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote