Everyday 20th Anniversary thread - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #61
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Everyday 20th Anniversary thread

I absolutely love the sax line in Sleep to Dream Her, and wait for it ... it's canned
ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #62
    JZ4140

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

My $.02 -

Everyday, to me, is arguably the best-*sounding* record of them all. I really like the way it was mixed and mastered.

There are a few songwriting duds (Mother Father being the best example) but, overall, I think it's a really inspired album. Though I love all 11 *songs* that are *on* Busted Stuff, the Busted Stuff album versions themselves sound like they were recorded by a band who was completely bored with all the songs at the time (Where Are You Going? being perhaps the only exception). Everyday sounds inspired. Not perfect by any means, but inspired. Like they wrote the songs, recorded them, then just effing put it out without thinking too hard. They should do that more often!

I love So Right as a show opener. Caught it once on 4.26.02; it brings so much energy to kick things off. Hope I get to hear it again in that slot someday.

I absolutely adore Fool To Think live -- and always really appreciate hearing If I Had It All, Sleep To Dream Her, What You Are, and I Did It as well.

I've always thought Angel would have been so much better if (1) the riff was played on acoustic (would have removed some of the faux-blues feel) and (2) the hook was about cards. It's SO WEIRD that so many of the song's lyrics are about playing cards and then the hook... isn't.

Everyday has a moodiness to it that I really appreciate, especially on the back half. It's also a great album to work to.

The drive-in shows made me realize even more how much I love hearing Everyday songs live. Fool To Think was my favorite song (and the biggest bust-out to me aside from Water to Wine) of the first Drive-In and I thought it was such a treat to hear Sleep To Dream Her from that Sleep Train 03 show, especially with the extended outro. And Everyday is one of the songs that I think has most improved with Buddy. Gotta love his vocals!

Hope everyone's doing well
    JZ4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #63
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

It's been apparent for many many years that as the band's reach grew in 2000s that Everyday was a significant catalyst for that growth and a big album for lots of the fans. It was a gateway to DMB for lots of fans, but it's still atypical of the band sound & feel wise. It's not just the songs, the guitar, and production, but pretty much everything about it.

I don't feel that ED excels in any aspect. It's sole redeeming quality is that the Dave and Ballard collaboration was sadly and tragically superior to the DMB and Batson collaboration. While they both objectively fail at excellence, at least SU was the band creating together. I'll take that type of failure of experimentation and exploration over the simplified electric sound of the "band" where no one but Dave was a part of the creative process seven days a week...twice on Sunday.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #64
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Grill I think you mean "seven days that week"
    Old 03-01-2021, 07:03 PM   #65
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

If ED was released in 2021 it would be lauded as an amazing DMB 4.0 record. The songs on ED don't sound like traditional DMB but they're superior to the majority of the material on SU, CT and AFTW. A lot of the complaints that were hurled at ED in 2001 (e.g. There's no violin! Dave is playing an electric guitar! Lillywhite didn't produce it! It's too pop!) aren't relevant in the year 2021--everyone accepts there isn't going to be violin, etc.

After the nadir that was SU and the ballad fest that was CT, people would be stoked for rockers like So Right Right, What You Are, Dreams of Our Fathers, etc. Fool To Think's musical complexity would be praised and people would say it was rad to hear Dave playing complicated riffs after CT's simple guitar parts. Mother Father would be lionized and fans would be glad to see Dave writing dark lyrics again after the sanguine lyrics that dominated CT. The melodic sax lines on Sleep to Dream Her would be praised. I think I Did It and The Space Between would also avoid the wrath they received in 2001. Sure, those songs aren't as good as the material that preceded them but they're better than anything on SU and shit like TGIY and Can't Stop.

Everyday's biggest sin was it released after BTCS and before Boyd was dismissed from the band. People who were fans in that era can't separate the record from that time period and the colossal expectations they had that weren't met. ED would be beloved if it came out twenty years after it did.
    Old 03-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #66
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    If ED was released in 2021 it would be lauded as an amazing DMB 4.0 record. The songs on ED don't sound like traditional DMB but they're superior to the majority of the material on SU, CT and AFTW. A lot of the complaints that were hurled at ED in 2001 (e.g. There's no violin! Dave is playing an electric guitar! Lillywhite didn't produce it! It's too pop!) aren't relevant in the year 2021--everyone accepts there isn't going to be violin, etc.

After the nadir that was SU and the ballad fest that was CT, people would be stoked for rockers like So Right Right, What You Are, Dreams of Our Fathers, etc. Fool To Think's musical complexity would be praised and people would say it was rad to hear Dave playing complicated riffs after CT's simple guitar parts. Mother Father would be lionized and fans would be glad to see Dave writing dark lyrics again after the sanguine lyrics that dominated CT. The melodic sax lines on Sleep to Dream Her would be praised. I think I Did It and The Space Between would also avoid the wrath they received in 2001. Sure, those songs aren't as good as the material that preceded them but they're better than anything on SU and shit like TGIY and Can't Stop.

Everyday's biggest sin was it released after BTCS and before Boyd was dismissed from the band. People who were fans in that era can't separate the record from that time period and the colossal expectations they had that weren't met. ED would be beloved if it came out twenty years after it did.

I feel like I’ve read this exact post before...copy/paste? Haha
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #67
    MarvinBerry

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I put Everyday basically in a 4 way tie with BW, AFTW and CT. They all have a handful of really good songs, some okay ones and a couple dumb ones.

The big 4 of average
    MarvinBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #68
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Grill I think you mean "seven days that week"
    No, I forgot some commas...but "seven days a week, twice on Sundays" is very NY thing, well, more adopted as tri-state area Italian-American thing, although it's roots are vaudevillian.

So:

"I'll take that SU type of failure of experimentation and exploration over the simplified electric sound of the "band", where no one but Dave was a part of the creative process, seven days a week...twice on Sunday."
    Old 03-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #69
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarvinBerry View Post
    I put Everyday basically in a 4 way tie with BW, AFTW and CT. They all have a handful of really good songs, some okay ones and a couple dumb ones.

The big 4 of average
    Noice!

Truly very funny, but I disagree. The only album that ED is better than in my mind is SU and then it's a LLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGGG way to the next album.

I truly enjoy every other studio album at a very high level, but NEVER listen to Everyday or Stand Up. Maybe once every few years to see if I've developed an ability to appreciate them...hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by grilldanmo; 03-01-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    Old 03-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #70
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    No, I forgot some commas...but "seven days a week, twice on Sundays" is very NY thing, well, more adopted as tri-state area Italian-American thing, although it's roots are vaudevillian.

So:

"I'll take that SU type of failure of experimentation and exploration over the simplified electric sound of the "band", where no one but Dave was a part of the creative process, seven days a week...twice on Sunday."

I know the saying, it was a joke about how fast the album was written
    Old 03-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #71
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I know the saying, it was a joke about how fast the album was written
    Ah.

That also might speak to the low quality of the material. Not as good a joke.

Some excellent songs and albums have come together in a week or two, but Everyday and it's songs are not on the list of either...sadly.
    Old 03-02-2021, 05:10 AM   #72
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ah.

That also might speak to the low quality of the material. Not as good a joke.

Some excellent songs and albums have come together in a week or two, but Everyday and it's songs are not on the list of either...sadly.

I don't agree with your view but I'm sure many people feel the way you do
    Old 03-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #73
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Everyday 20th Anniversary thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
    What are the turds to you?

I dislike Space Between studio version, but I love Dave's solo versions as of late... It's a pretty crappy song though lyrically.. The precursor to more stuff like You and Me... Which both became hits ironically... I hate that because it just encourages Dave to double down on that type of stuff..

I Did It, Mother Father, Angel are the turds. FTT and STD Her are borderline, the latter being rescued by Roi’s sax line. In my opinion, WYA is the best song on the album, followed by So Right and WTWE. The rest are somewhere in mediocrity.

If I Had It All is fucking phenomenal on LT42, though. God tier performance by this band.
    Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 AM   #74
    kmb40oz

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I remember being disappointed in Everyday when it first came out. My first DMB concert was in 1999, so Everday was the first "new" album for me to experience on release day. I heard I Did It on Napster and on the radio and wasn't thrilled, I remember sitting in the mall parking lot after buying the Album from FYE and being downright confused. It's taken a while but these songs have grown on me after hearing them live over the years, it's clear that the studio album is a Dave Matthews album and not a Dave Matthews' Band album.

My rankings

Tier 1
    So Right
    If I Had It All
    Fool to Think
    The Space Between
    What You Are

Tier 2
    Everyday
    When the World Ends
    Sleep to Dream Her

Tier 3
    I Did It
    Angel
    Mother Father

Incomplete Ranking due to it never being played live
    Dreams of Our Fathers
    Old 03-02-2021, 06:12 AM   #75
    vkratliff

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd View Post
    Probably the worst thing to happen to the band until Roi died. Still don't understand the revisionism around this album. There's a couple songs I think are fine but it's still pretty bad, only Stand Up is worse for me.
    This is pretty much how I see it. How people can claim it's a better album than Big Whiskey is beyond me. It's better than Stand Up and pretty much even with Come Tomorrow, but with the exception of "Fool to Think" and a couple songs that are only good live, it's just a collection of meh electronic pop songs.
    vkratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 07:24 AM   #76
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yep, I agree.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 08:16 AM   #77
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I remember Dave playing electric guitar was scandalous at the time
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #78
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I'd love to see them add Vusi to another studio track again
    Old 03-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #79
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I remember Dave playing electric guitar was scandalous at the time
    Very much so. In Deer Creek '98, I have the vaguest recollection of Dave playing a red strat (maybe a tele, IDK I was on the lawn) during Jimi and people losing their shit.

I was also a bit blitzed, and living out my best hippie dance phase, so I could be mistaken. I went to a lot of concerts that year - partly because it was affordable to do so.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #80
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dodo36 View Post
    Very much so. In Deer Creek '98, I have the vaguest recollection of Dave playing a red strat (maybe a tele, IDK I was on the lawn) during Jimi and people losing their shit.

I was also a bit blitzed, and living out my best hippie dance phase, so I could be mistaken. I went to a lot of concerts that year - partly because it was affordable to do so.
    He played Crash on electric a few times in 98. I remember being very confused watching Live from the 10 Spot and seeing him with an electric guitar.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #81
    Carson31

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Hard to believe it's been 20 years for Everyday. And DMB is officially 30 years old this month.

I don't have all the numbers but from what I can tell, Everyday was the most expensive release DMB ever produced. The extensive promotion is assuredly the reason it sold so many copies. There is far more random Everyday promotional material than any of the other albums. BTCS is probably the 2nd closest but Everyday had legit advertising campaigns in North America and Europe. It's also the only album that had direct singles released in South America, Australia, Europe and North America (Space Between & I Did It).

The Space Between in particular was pushed hard in Europe, including being used in a Nokia commercial. I know Europeans who became DMB fans because of that commercial/song. BTCS, Crash & UTTAD were also promoted in Europe/Australia/Japan but Everyday is a clear #1 in terms of effort, money spent and scale. Since we're discussing it, Big Whiskey has been the only album since Everyday to have a big/expensive promotional campaign outside of the US. Come Tomorrow had almost no promotional material, and is assuredly the least extensively promoted album. Busted Stuff would likely be the 2nd least promoted album (probably the cheapest to produce too). In terms of dollars/effort spent to promote, I think it probably goes in this order: Everyday, Big Whiskey, BTCS, Crash, UTTAD, Stand Up, AFTW, Busted Stuff, Come Tomorrow.

There was an interesting "I Am Dave Matthews / This is Dave Matthews" promotional campaign in the UK. There were CD singles with cover art featuring a poster of a woman wearing a shirt that read "I Am Dave Matthews." Posters of that same woman in the shirt were plastered in record stores and on street corners. There was also a 2nd poster featuring another woman but also using the same "I Am Dave Matthews" slogan. Some CD singles had little white stickers on them that said "This is Dave Matthews." A handful of the CDs & posters were randomly signed by Dave but Dave also held in person signings at some record stores. If you bought the album at the right store, you may have even received a plastic, white tote bag that said... "I Am Dave Matthews."

There were also 5 different variations of a 4 track cassette single that were handed out at record stores and other places (one of them being after a U2 concert). They had detachable mailer cards you could fill out & send in for more info on DMB. UTTAD is the only other album that had any cassingles.

There were upwards of 12 variations of the Space Between single, about half of them were European. I Did It, Everyday and DDTW are the only other singles that came close to that number.

There were an astounding number of radio station appearances related to Everyday. DMB almanac counts 22 of them in Spring 2001 alone, and more throughout the year.

Glen Ballard thinks it's a good album, and doesn't like people who are critical of it. He was slated to record another album with Dave/DMB and began that process in December, 2001. By January the decision was made to move forward from Ballard and use Stephen Harris to re-record Lillywhite Sessions tracks. The 2nd Ballard session remains one of the biggest DMB mysteries to me. The vocal take for Joyful Girl was recorded for certain, but those with direct knowledge claim that other songs were recorded, including Counting the Stars. Ballard was thanked in the liner notes of Busted Stuff, Lillywhite wasn't. That remains an issue of contention for Lillywhite, nearly 20 years later.

Mother Father must have been close to being released as a single. There exist studio reference CDs with a Mother Father edit on them. The CDs were specifically Conway Studios CDRs. Some of the promotional material for Everyday listed Mother Father as a focus track, and mentioned Santana's inclusion. For instance, if you bought a cassette copy of Everyday in India, Indonesia or South Korea, it may have had a sticker on the cover promoting Santana/Mother Father.

There were Everyday tear away / count down calendars. You ripped a piece of paper off each day until release day. RCA also put out a mock Dave Matthews Band newspaper with a headline about the Everyday release. It even included a fake weather report for NY: windy, with a high of 33.

Some of the UK and Australian editions of Everyday had a live bonus disc with them.

Most of the best quotes about Everyday & the post Lillywhite Sessions era came from Everyday radio interviews & promo CDs. A lot of things that were supposedly "insider" info definitely came from those sources. It was years before I heard a lot of the interview stuff. My take away was that there was definitely anger & sadness over what happened with Lillywhite.

According to Bruce Flohr, he fired Lillywhite because he felt like the band needed to be challenged. As far as I know he still stands by that decision. Ballard was apparently the new challenge. Dave was able to create a #1 album with him in a matter of weeks, a mere fraction of the time that was spent on The Lillywhite Sessions.

Someone mentioned it and I can confirm that Dave has recorded more songs with Vusi Mahlasela. And, as many know, the extended cut of Everyday features more of Vusi than the edit that made the album. I think Dave first recorded with Vusi in 1997, but those tracks remain unreleased as far as I know.

I've never made an album as good as Everyday so it's tough for me to criticize it (I've made zero albums). I don't really like it compared to most of Dave's other work. But I will say that, to me, the album's success cemented my belief that Dave could go to the bathroom and shit out a #1 album as long as RCA paid to promote it. He's a legitimate songwriting freak.

I'm sure I have other notes on Everyday. If I remember more I'll add to this list.
    Carson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #82
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks Carson! Great write up, appreciate the insight.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #83
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson31 View Post
    I've never made an album as good as Everyday so it's tough for me to criticize it (I've made zero albums). I don't really like it compared to most of Dave's other work. But I will say that, to me, the album's success cemented my belief that Dave could go to the bathroom and shit out a #1 album as long as RCA paid to promote it. He's a legitimate songwriting freak.

The more I write the more I'm blown away by stuff he has done, even something that most people hate like Can't Stop has really strong guitar playing
    Old 03-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #84
    Carson31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The more I write the more I'm blown away by stuff he has done, even something that most people hate like Can't Stop has really strong guitar playing
    I'm one of the heretics that likes Can't Stop. I had the pleasure of hearing it in a recording studio with a gentleman who was involved with the production. He told me that he hired dancers, Brazilian dancers if I remember correctly, to teach Carter how to mimic the drum beat that he wanted on the track. So the drums are actually meant to mimic the body movements of the dancers.

People who work with Dave are as blown away as you/me. I've had more than one person tell me that when Dave plays something new for them, then asks what they think, it's tough to not simply be speechless. Dave seems to be his own biggest critic, and some say Dave lacks confidence in some of his songs, and his writing ability in general. I'm hopeful that at some point in the future a producer will work with Dave that grew up a fan of his. I think he'd benefit greatly from that kind of experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
    Thanks Carson! Great write up, appreciate the insight.
    My pleasure. And I already thought of another interesting note that I think a lot of people already know:

When the World Ends was released as a single shortly before the September 11th terrorist attack. RCA was pushing WTWE and within a few days of the attack an email went out asking stations not to promote WTWE and that they decided to release Everyday instead. I might even have that email somewhere. Everyday (the single) was officially released in November 2001, but by mid September, WTWE was yanked and Everyday was put in it's place. Dave performed his new single, September 21st, for the Tribute To Heroes telethon.

I'm also reminded that Space Between (Tiesto remix) and WTWE (Oakenfold remix) were both pushed pretty hard in Europe. Both tracks were released as white label 12" singles, which at the time, was special. The Oakenfold remix was also on the Matrix soundtrack, and used during the closing credits of the movie.
    Old 03-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #85
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's not how it works.

Most music critics haven't recorded music either.

It's all who it hits the listeners' ears. Objectivity in critical evaluation of music is nearly impossible for professionals, let alone lay-people. You either like it or you don't. It's easy to breakdown all the areas where ED moved away from sounding "like" DMB, but the main thing for me was always the songs. None of them really grabbed me like all of the music prior and most of the music since (barring SU...ewww).

That tLWS/BS and Some Devil albums bookend ED hugely showcases the inferiority of the material. You can still hear Dave's writer's voice, but the musical and production elements that Ballard brought to the table were of NO interest to my ears. SD shows that Dave can play electric and work outside of the AMAZING input of his DMB colleagues and still produce exceptional material. Again, it was the songs and it remains the songs on ED that fall short of the high standard Dave and the band set. It didn't need to sound like everything else, the material just needed to be on that level. Regardless of whether one likes the songs or album or not, most fans here and elsewhere do not view ED as much beyond mediocre...at least for DMB. Turning DMB into a generic sounding late '90s early aughts rock band was an awful take by Dave, RLM, and RCA. I understand how and why it happened, but I still wish it hadn't happened.

It remains unclear whether this album stopped the band from collapsing after tLWS or caused the issues that nearly came to a head in 2007, but it was certainly not an evolutionary work for the band.
    Old 03-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #86
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My pleasure. And I already thought of another interesting note that I think a lot of people already know:

When the World Ends was released as a single shortly before the September 11th terrorist attack. RCA was pushing WTWE and within a few days of the attack an email went out asking stations not to promote WTWE and that they decided to release Everyday instead. I might even have that email somewhere. Everyday (the single) was officially released in November 2001, but by mid September, WTWE was yanked and Everyday was put in it's place. Dave performed his new single, September 21st, for the Tribute To Heroes telethon.
    I remember this happening.

Similarly Dream Theater had an album cover that featured the Twin Towers and Statue of Liberty engulfed in flames for their Live Scenes from New York album. It was released and then recalled as a result of 911. It was a crazy and terrifying time.

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2014/...amtheater1.jpg
    Old 03-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #87
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm one of the heretics that likes Can't Stop. I had the pleasure of hearing it in a recording studio with a gentleman who was involved with the production. He told me that he hired dancers, Brazilian dancers if I remember correctly, to teach Carter how to mimic the drum beat that he wanted on the track. So the drums are actually meant to mimic the body movements of the dancers.

People who work with Dave are as blown away as you/me. I've had more than one person tell me that when Dave plays something new for them, then asks what they think, it's tough to not simply be speechless. Dave seems to be his own biggest critic, and some say Dave lacks confidence in some of his songs, and his writing ability in general. I'm hopeful that at some point in the future a producer will work with Dave that grew up a fan of his. I think he'd benefit greatly from that kind of experience.

I'm also reminded that Space Between (Tiesto remix) and WTWE (Oakenfold remix) were both pushed pretty hard in Europe. Both tracks were released as white label 12" singles, which at the time, was special. The Oakenfold remix was also on the Matrix soundtrack, and used during the closing credits of the movie.
    There were rumors that the band recorded a music video for WTWE but it got scrapped. Do you know if this is true?
    Old 03-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #88
    Dodo36

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I remember this happening.

Similarly Dream Theater had an album cover that featured the Twin Towers and Statue of Liberty engulfed in flames for their Live Scenes from New York album. It was released and then recalled as a result of 911. It was a crazy and terrifying time.

https://www.snopes.com/tachyon/2014/...amtheater1.jpg
    I remember this, me and my guitar player at the time went to Virgin Megastore (remember those?) to get them (Me the Dave, him the Theater) and that's when we learned they'd been pulled. I understood quickly, but we had to look up the planned cover for him to let it go.

Into Prince? Check out my blog on Prince's full discography, including the side projects.
    https://Listen2Prince.blogspot.com
    Dodo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-02-2021, 03:04 PM   #89
    Carson31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's not how it works.

Most music critics haven't recorded music either.

I have very little experience recording, producing or mixing. But I didn't mean to imply that because of that lack of experience I can't be critical, or that you cant if you haven't recorded an album. It's certainly ok to be critical. It's tough for me personally because even though I do have ground to stand on as a fan, and as a listener, I dont feel like I'm on particularly firm ground from a creative standpoint.

I honestly just really didn't want to crap all over the album since some folks do like it and so many things at Ants tend to turn into a whine fest. A lot of people in and around the band read this board, and my posts. So I just didn't want to do it. But yeah, I fuckin hated Everyday when it came out. I could echo many of your thoughts. I would have fired Bruce instead of Lillywhite, fuck em if it broke up the band. Plenty of time and money to heal those wounds and maybe it would have been for the best. If I'm in charge, we finish and release Lillywhite Sessions, period. Some say finishing the album at that time would have killed Dave. I personally don't believe that.

Lillywhite Sessions was beautiful, and Everyday was record exec lubricant. I can't deny the success though. It brought in new fans, it was commercially successful and that's what RCA cared about. They loved it and wanted more. Plenty of fans loved it too, especially the female demographic. I didn't, I don't. I thought the songs on Everyday were a joke compared to pretty much all of their peers.

As far as whether Everyday "stopped the band from collapsing after tLWS or caused the issues that nearly came to a head in 2007"... I've seen so much made up bullshit about what supposedly happened that I really dont know what fans think or believe anymore. I tend to think Everyday likely extended DMB's career, at least in the interim. And I think anything that may have festered during Everyday had nothing to do with the Batson Sessions ending.
    Old 03-02-2021, 03:13 PM   #90
    Carson31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There were rumors that the band recorded a music video for WTWE but it got scrapped. Do you know if this is true?
    Wish I could tell you definitively but I dont know. My guess is yes, but I haven't seen it and I haven't asked anyone about it. I'll try to get an answer for you.

Tags
    birthday , everyday , vinyl