DMB - SPAC, 7.2.2004 Sirius Broadcast (mastered by djamieb) - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-02-2021, 09:37 PM   #61
djamieb

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB - SPAC, 7.2.2004 Sirius Broadcast (mastered by djamieb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laststopdmb View Post
Sooooooo, I'll be the first one to ask....what's the next Sirius show that you are going to remaster? HA! Kidding, kind of. I can't get over how awesome 7/2/04 sounds. Thanks again!
My pleasure!! Glad you’re diggin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Seriously, if djamieb was willing to do other Sirius shows, we should look at some crowdfunding. I'm sure it takes a fair chunk of time to do this. But the results are outstanding! Definitely better than many official releases
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
Yeah, I love LT50, but not the mix. It does not give the show the justice it deserves.

Jamie, if you take a stab at remastering LT 50 I’d definitely (and gladly!) pay you for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
I would be more than willing to start a Patreon account or something like that where we could donate some money to you to remaster some of the LTs or other official releases that would go over the top with a little extra work.
Hey, y’all. I appreciate the sentiment so much! I would certainly never try to profit from the band’s music like that, though. For something they are putting out for free through streaming that could use some sprucing up like this one, I was happy to do it when I found the time between work / family stuff / my own music to simply share it with the community. But genuinely, thank you for expressing that level of appreciation for what I did. Means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 View Post
You are 100% correct on the equalizer. I usually catch that. I had the high end cranked way up which hasn't been noticeable on other stuff but for some reason on this the drums were getting distorted.

Thanks!
Oh, sweet! That’s a relief to hear. Glad it was an easy fix. You’re welcome, bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-by-twostep View Post
got through the whole show and.....WOW. sounds fantastic. it's not an exaggeration to say this sounds better than many official releases. for example, i went back to the the R&R from this show released on the Come Tomorrow bonus disc, and djamieb's mix is FAR superior. more depth, breadth, clarity and balance. i then compared it to R&R from LT50 (hershey) and, again, this mix is much better. LT50 sounds so flat and lifeless but djamieb's is so lively and engaging.

well done djamieb, keep 'em coming
Aww, that’s awesome. Thanks for the great compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anklebunker View Post
Just finished Pig and am excited to get through the rest of the set! I had a choice among three new items to listen to this morning (Jamie's re-mastered SPAC, the WH Sacramento show, or the WH Dave & Carter set - since I'm a January WH renewal). I'm glad I picked this one first. Thanks so much, Jamie!
Nice!! You're very welcome, pal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettG19DMBFan View Post
This is awesome.

Maybe just me, but never heard the Marlon Brandon reference on Good Good Time before... so clear to hear it lol
Thanks! And yeah, that part in GGT was cool. You can hear Dave just sort of traveling through his thought process a lot on that song and I dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammine View Post
Thank you so much! Looking forward to listening to this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg21 View Post
Just downloading now. I love your work, can't wait to listen.
You’re welcome! Hope you enjoy when you get a chance to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
This Rhyme and Reason is very tight
Right?! I really love this version of R&R. It’s one I keep going back to, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 View Post
I’ll definitely let you know! I HOPE I’m close to the finish line. I’ve been working on it for a year. Learning how to mix is not a linear process and I’m trying to be patient with myself. Also i have no real speaker system for playback so I have to mix in ear-buds and then try to listen on other mediums just see if it even really sounds like what I thought it did! I’m excited to share it though. I appreciate your interest!

How can I find you on Spotify?
That’s so cool! Yeah, man, enjoy the process as much as you can; learning this stuff, especially for your own music, can be so rewarding. Definitely stoked to hear what you’re working on, so don’t forget to come back and send me a DM or something like that when it’s ready to hear! I’ll be looking forward to it! And let me know if you're ever wanting recommendations for a good basic setup (either monitors or headphones) that's not too costly and will allow you to mix in a way that will translate well to most other systems without any unpleasant surprises.

And thanks for asking about my music, too! You can find some of my recent songs here. I've been putting out new singles every couple months right now since I'm getting more time at home and I'm almost done with another one that I'm about to start mixing, as well. That's been a silver lining to all this pandemic craziness for me... I'm thankful for the extra family and creative time. Would love to hear what you think if you check out my music!
(https://spoti.fi/3uRBSTN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
sounds great, thanks op
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
this is, magnificent. wow. im speechless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
This really does sound fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbail1230 View Post
Sweet. This sounds great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssmith6 View Post
This... is THAT GOOD! I've listened to 3 times through already. This set, the remaster; everything is great. Thank you for your work on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfgolf333 View Post
I am no audiophile but I am shocked at the difference in this remaster. Just listen to the first 30 seconds of Grey Street between the raw FLAC and this remaster and you will become a believer !!

Thanks for your efforts.....the raw file are indeed "muddy" and you fixed that !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyyankou View Post
The original broadcast sounded like a slightly better mix of LT 26, this remaster sounds more like LT 8 which is good.
You guys made my day!! Thank you so much for the kind words - made me smile to read these. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
I love how bowa ends as the nature intro starts.

This band used to be so so good
Yes! That is so tight. They definitely nailed that transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAC_Boy View Post
I’ve been a long lurker but I needed to finally make an account to say that this recording is excellent and right on par with the 2004 LT’s and may even be better. Thank you for doing g this OP, and if you have a collection of more things you’ve done/will do, please let me know
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAC_Boy View Post
Also, I must say the initial mix on this is great. Boyd is great, I can hear Dave’s guitar, Roi is sweet and smooth. This might be my favorite unofficial remastered show
Welcome!! That’s really cool, and I’m humbled that you were moved to create an account to share your thoughts. Thank you so much!! Really glad you’re enjoying the recording. I’ve been listening to it a lot, too; it’s an outstanding show. So many moments where I find myself laughing out loud because of a moment that's just ridiculously good or a section where they get completely locked in and everything is perfect. They played so flipping well that night! 2004 was definitely a stellar year for the band, overall. I was at that Alpine show (LT 8) in '04 and it’s still one of my favorites to listen to. This one is honestly right up there now, too - the performances are unreal and it's a very memorable show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camptravisr View Post
Wow. This is like a free Live Trax from my favorite era of the band. Thank you so much for the efforts! Sounds incredible.
Haha! That’s nice of you! And you're very welcome!

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #62
    DMBlunts

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Could you ever find the time to remaster the Sirius broadcast from The Staples Center in 08? That has a very muddy sound and would be awesome to have all cleaned up.
    #22 in 2021.
    DMBlunts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #63
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

This is absolutely fantastic. I’m seriously blown away. I agree with those that have said this sounds better than some Live Trax. I vote for DMB to hire you to work on all future Live Trax. Thanks so much for doing this!!
    Old 03-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #64
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Finally getting around to listening to this through my home stereo - you did an absolutely excellent job with this! Thank you so much for the work and your time that went into this!
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #65
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBlunts View Post
    Could you ever find the time to remaster the Sirius broadcast from The Staples Center in 08? That has a very muddy sound and would be awesome to have all cleaned up.
    Hey, bud. I'll take another look. I checked it out when it first aired but the files I heard had several skips in the audio and the balance of instruments seemed a bit beyond fixing as just a stereo track.

Also, and this is just another layer to it (not the whole reason I'm hesitant), I do have a hard time listening to that show. I actually attended that show in person when I lived in LA and it was a highly emotional concert to attend. I only listened to the tape once after that and couldn't even get through the whole thing. Not eager to revisit yet, but maybe some day down the road I'll check out the source files again to see if it's worth the time/work or if it's even fixable. I appreciate the suggestion! I remember that Bartender and Proudest Monkey opening combo being really powerful.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 View Post
    This is absolutely fantastic. I’m seriously blown away. I agree with those that have said this sounds better than some Live Trax. I vote for DMB to hire you to work on all future Live Trax. Thanks so much for doing this!!
    Wow, thank you so much for the kind words, man! That would literally be a dream come true to get to work on either the mixing or mastering portion of an audio release for the band. May your words find their way to someone in Management who could make that happen, lol! Thanks again for the comment, dude. I appreciate ya'!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Finally getting around to listening to this through my home stereo - you did an absolutely excellent job with this! Thank you so much for the work and your time that went into this!
    Aww, thank you!!! And that means a lot coming from you, mate! I know you have a great audio setup and excellent ears for this stuff, so I truly appreciate the kind words. Thanks!!

(By the way, I've been following your IG page for awhile now and always dig the vinyl posts you make. Very cool stuff!)
    Old 03-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #66
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Hi Djamieb, I have been listening to your remaster a lot during these days. I think I have listened to it more than last two LT to give you an idea.

I love absolutely everything about it. Apart from one thing, maybe.
    I feel like some of the tracks are overlapping a bit to much. I don’t know if this was necessary to eliminate the difference in volume between two tracks.

For example, one of my fav part of the show is Rhyme And Reason >> Good Good Times. The latter begins with the acoustic guitar even before than the first is over, and I think it wasn’t like that in the broadcast. Not a huge thing, but I am a ballbreaker.
    Old 03-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #67
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
    Hi Djamieb, I have been listening to your remaster a lot during these days. I think I have listened to it more than last two LT to give you an idea.

I feel like some of the tracks are overlapping a bit to much. I don’t know if this was necessary to eliminate the difference in volume between two tracks.

For example, one of my fav part of the show is Rhyme And Reason >> Good Good Times. The latter begins with the acoustic guitar even before than the first is over, and I think it wasn’t like that in the broadcast. Not a huge thing, but I am a ballbreaker.
    This would be my only critique as well. I noticed the same thing.
    Old 03-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #68
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    This would be my only critique as well. I noticed the same thing.

Hey, you two!

Thanks for the feedback and for reaching out. I always welcome feedback for future reference, so I'm glad you shared your thoughts.

In this case, the only shifts I did in between songs were by mere milliseconds - certainly nothing drastic like handfuls of seconds or anything like that. I'm talking about less than 1 second in most cases, and simply to smooth out the transition in a perceivable volume jump right before the next song. For what it's worth, I definitely did not do any crossfading on songs or anything like that). With the specific transition you mentioned (R&R -> GGT), for example, on the broadcasted recording I received for the mastering, the beginning guitar riff of Good Good Time absolutely started over the washing cymbals and ending notes of Rhyme and Reason; that is certainly not a crossfade that I made on my end or anything. I simply chose to have the track break where the end of R&R had pretty much faded away and Dave's second time through the GGT riff started, but I promise I did not shift the timing of those songs at all - that's exactly how it was on the file I worked on. (I won't ever choose to overlap songs together like that if they weren't played that way - I'm not taking artistic liberties for projects like this; I'm simply sprucing up the audio for mastering.) Same goes for quick transitions... if the next song starts right after the one that just finished on this show, that's because it was the way I received it on the file. (To my knowledge, that file I worked on had not been altered at all in this case - simply recorded as-is on the "extreme" quality setting, and no transitions were done by the person who shared the file that I used. So, unless the original mixing engineer or someone at Sirius took creative liberties before the broadcast, of course, that's how I assume everything was played.)

Anyway, I just wanted to take a few minutes to explain that so you know that I hear you 100%, and was merely working within the limitations of the file I received. But don't worry; I am not making artistic choices like crossfading songs together or pushing the next song to start right on top of the last one when they weren't played that way. The only place I moved something around is the very end, to extend some of the crowd noise as the show is fading out, because on the original broadcast, they brought the very loud Sirius broadcasting voice back only a few seconds after Tripping Billies ended, and I wanted the crowd to fade out more like it would on an official release, so I blended some crowd noise from the encore and shortened that encore time a touch as result. 'Cause I'm right there with you both - I want it to feel like a real show as much as possible and for songs to breathe before the next one starts, just like it is in person. So, I'll never do anything to change that if I work on future projects just like I did on this one, as well, you have my word!

Last edited by djamieb; 03-05-2021 at 02:37 PM.
    djamieb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #69
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

@xcacel and @route2 :

P.S. (That being said, if someone did alter the broadcast and did some crazy editing with overlapping songs between the original Friday night broadcast and when I downloaded the shared link on the following Saturday morning, let me know! Like, if the original broadcast you heard did not have Dave playing the first part of the GGT riff over the ending cymbal washes of R&R, for example. I'd be curious to know! It definitely seemed like the way it was played and broadcast, but I suppose I could have gotten a version where someone went crazy with editing overnight, lol!)
    Old 03-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #70
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djamieb View Post
    @xcacel and @route2 :

P.S. (That being said, if someone did alter the broadcast and did some crazy editing with overlapping songs between the original Friday night broadcast and when I downloaded the shared link on the following Saturday morning, let me know! Like, if the original broadcast you heard did not have Dave playing the first part of the GGT riff over the ending cymbal washes of R&R, for example. I'd be curious to know! It definitely seemed like the way it was played and broadcast, but I suppose I could have gotten a version where someone went crazy with editing overnight, lol!)
    I should add that I didn't listen to the original broadcast because I don't have a SiriusXM subscription. I did download the DT rip, but opted to go straight to your version.

I was just piggybacking off of Xcacel's comment as I noticed some of the song transitions while listening. If that's what you were working with than no harm no foul! Amazing sounding master regardless. Thanks again!
    Old 03-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #71
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    I should add that I didn't listen to the original broadcast because I don't have a SiriusXM subscription. I did download the DT rip, but opted to go straight to your version.

I was just piggybacking off of Xcacel's comment as I noticed some of the song transitions while listening. If that's what you were working with than no harm no foul! Amazing sounding master regardless. Thanks again!
    Right on. And thank you so much for the compliments!! I really appreciate that. So glad you're enjoying it!

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that it's edited by either the original mixing engineer or someone at Sirius to push the songs close together so they don't have a lot of lulls with only crowd noise between songs. That time between songs is no biggie in person because you have time to turn to your friends or partner or whatever and talk about the last song, watch the guys interact on stage, or try to guess what song is going to be next, etc. But that dead space when you're only listening to it as a broadcast would definitely kill the flow. I'm sure that's why they do it.
    Old 03-09-2021, 10:23 PM   #72
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey, you two!

Thanks for the feedback and for reaching out. I always welcome feedback for future reference, so I'm glad you shared your thoughts.

In this case, the only shifts I did in between songs were by mere milliseconds - certainly nothing drastic like handfuls of seconds or anything like that. I'm talking about less than 1 second in most cases, and simply to smooth out the transition in a perceivable volume jump right before the next song. For what it's worth, I definitely did not do any crossfading on songs or anything like that). With the specific transition you mentioned (R&R -> GGT), for example, on the broadcasted recording I received for the mastering, the beginning guitar riff of Good Good Time absolutely started over the washing cymbals and ending notes of Rhyme and Reason; that is certainly not a crossfade that I made on my end or anything. I simply chose to have the track break where the end of R&R had pretty much faded away and Dave's second time through the GGT riff started, but I promise I did not shift the timing of those songs at all - that's exactly how it was on the file I worked on. (I won't ever choose to overlap songs together like that if they weren't played that way - I'm not taking artistic liberties for projects like this; I'm simply sprucing up the audio for mastering.) Same goes for quick transitions... if the next song starts right after the one that just finished on this show, that's because it was the way I received it on the file. (To my knowledge, that file I worked on had not been altered at all in this case - simply recorded as-is on the "extreme" quality setting, and no transitions were done by the person who shared the file that I used. So, unless the original mixing engineer or someone at Sirius took creative liberties before the broadcast, of course, that's how I assume everything was played.)

Anyway, I just wanted to take a few minutes to explain that so you know that I hear you 100%, and was merely working within the limitations of the file I received. But don't worry; I am not making artistic choices like crossfading songs together or pushing the next song to start right on top of the last one when they weren't played that way. The only place I moved something around is the very end, to extend some of the crowd noise as the show is fading out, because on the original broadcast, they brought the very loud Sirius broadcasting voice back only a few seconds after Tripping Billies ended, and I wanted the crowd to fade out more like it would on an official release, so I blended some crowd noise from the encore and shortened that encore time a touch as result. 'Cause I'm right there with you both - I want it to feel like a real show as much as possible and for songs to breathe before the next one starts, just like it is in person. So, I'll never do anything to change that if I work on future projects just like I did on this one, as well, you have my word!

Hi Djamieb,
    Thanks for the precise (as usual) explanation.
    After what you said I am thinking that it was already in the original mix and at the time I had listened to that I didn’t notice.

We are now waiting for your next work, keep on!
    Old 03-09-2021, 11:04 PM   #73
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hi Djamieb,
    Thanks for the precise (as usual) explanation.
    After what you said I am thinking that it was already in the original mix and at the time I had listened to that I didn’t notice.

We are now waiting for your next work, keep on!
    My pleasure, bud! Thanks for reading that. Hope it wasn't too long winded, lol. I just wanted to be detailed so I could properly address the thought you shared; I greatly respect your opinions, my friend!
    Old 03-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #74
    bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for doing this and sharing. I always appreciate the fans contributing to the community. Can't wait to listen. One of my favorite shows.
    Old 03-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #75
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    Thanks for doing this and sharing. I always appreciate the fans contributing to the community. Can't wait to listen. One of my favorite shows.
    you're in for a treat – djamieb's mix sounds better than many official releases
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #76
    Xcacel
    Huge Carter's fan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My pleasure, bud! Thanks for reading that. Hope it wasn't too long winded, lol. I just wanted to be detailed so I could properly address the thought you shared; I greatly respect your opinions, my friend!

Djamieb, are you ready for next Sirius?
    You have a whole fan club here
    Old 03-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #77
    DMBBeav

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

This is my first time listening to your stuff and WOW. I'll jump on the bandwagon and say this does sound better than official releases.

Thanks for your work!
    DMBBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #78
    djamieb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    My pleasure! You’re very welcome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by two-by-twostep View Post
    you're in for a treat – djamieb's mix sounds better than many official releases
    Aww, thanks, bud!! That was nice of you!

Quote:
    Djamieb, are you ready for next Sirius?
    You have a whole fan club here
    Hahaha! That’s amazing. Just made my day.

Hopefully, they nail the mix and master on the broadcast of the ’03 Alpine show tonight. But I’ll be happy to listen and spruce it up like I did for the 7.2.04 SPAC show if it seems like it needs a little something to make it sound more special like that one did.

P.S. (I was at that Alpine show in '03 and I'm so excited to hear it again!!)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBBeav View Post
    This is my first time listening to your stuff and WOW. I'll jump on the bandwagon and say this does sound better than official releases.

Thanks for your work!
    Hey, thank you so much!! That means a lot! I appreciate the kind words, and I’m so happy you’re enjoying it!
    Old 03-21-2021, 05:13 AM   #79
    harribri

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Unreal results!! Thank you so much for the time to do this. Amazing.
    Old 03-21-2021, 05:22 AM   #80
    harribri

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Would love a re-mix of the 6/28/29/19 of Deer Creek if you get bored. LOL AMAZING

Tags
    2004 , djamieb , mastered , sirius , spac