2020 Tour Rumors - Page 237 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #7081
too69short

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2020 Tour Rumors

[QUOTE=podiumboy;17875268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
No fever with mine either. There is no 100% way to eliminate the risk when these events start back up. They won't start back up until the healthcare system isn't so stressed.

Once the vaccine rollout actually helps reduce stress on on the system we can have big events. But covid is going to exist for a long time.[/QUOTE}

Certainly by September we should have at least most of the vulnerable people vaccinated in addition to a large percentage of the general public. The stress should be taken off the hospitals, which I thought was the whole point. At that point, there should be no reason why we can't resume life 100% normal. Full concerts, full football stadiums, etc.

But I feel like the goalpost is shifting again from what I described above, to acheiving Herd Immunity. That involves vaccinating 70-80% of the population. Then I feel like the next goalpost will be zero-covid.

I think somebody in the entertainment business will need to make a stand at some point. SOMEBODY is going to have to be the first to say "we have achieved these milestones, it's time to let us back onstage and crowds back into venues." I feel like most bands are liberalists, and therefore won't rock the boat. It will be country acts that actually take the reins on this.
Bow Wow just played a rocking how in Texas the last night or two (fyi the tweets are hilarious)... is that the stand you're looking for /s

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #7082
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    If arenas do temperature checks like they do at gyms and hair salons for fans trying to enter, you can bet that it will be an extra hour trying to get into the show. It's almost worth it to bail on tailgating and get into the show early versus standing in a line from 5:00pm to 6:30pm trying to get through the doors when shows do return.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 View Post
    That's interesting. That might be an option and I wonder if they would allow it early enough so that it won't lead to everyone going at the same time to get their temperature taken.
    Temperature checks are purely medical theater. If someone has a fever they likely won't be feeling well enough to attend a concert. If someone has a fever and COVID they'll likely be showing other symptoms.
    Old 01-17-2021, 06:31 PM   #7083
    Cincy_

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Keep in mind it is not just the bands. You need the bus drivers, stage hands and all the workers at the venues to get the shots to be able to open. Best chance would be September or October before you get enough of a percentage of the population taken care of.. with 330 mil citizens you are looking at 165 million for just 50% to get both shots. From what i read you need a month after the second shot to be considered in the clear.
    You will also need state and local governments to allow large groups to gather for concerts. 2021 is a long shot at this point...
    Old 01-17-2021, 09:53 PM   #7084
    Jackdaniels

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rick8285 View Post
    At least the pit will die as a result of all this. I want to sit close someday and refuse to stand in a 1-ft circle for 3 hours with no guarantee of my spot being there after a piss break.

Punch up at a wedding, ya know?
    What I wouldn’t give to be in a GA Pit crowd right now, with some semblance of how great life used to be. Unfortunately, I don’t have any faith in life ever returning to “normal” (large crowds, no distancing or ridiculous face diapers) based on the goalposts continually changing by the likes of Fauci, CDC, WHO, and politicians all whom can’t be trusted with the truth and their infatuation with power. Society has been so programmed by fear mongering and mask shaming that something as simple as a DMB show seems impossible at this point. It’s depressing and stressful, maybe it’s just me. If this is the “new normal” count me out, guess I’ll be stuck at 99 shows. Sorry, just needed to vent.
    Old 01-17-2021, 10:35 PM   #7085
    SoCalDMBLover

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Herd Immunity of 80% along with Vaccines that are 95% effective, and the continued wearing of masks (for the time being), will be enough to get large scale events operating again.

That is not moving of goalposts. 20K-70K Games/Concerts were not going to be possible until there was both a high level of immunity, which was tied in with an effective vaccine(s).

These things take responsibility, a trait that America has not really taken much of a liking to, and thus we have the current situation, which we must now slowly dig ourselves out of. Maybe.
    Old 01-18-2021, 05:14 AM   #7086
    podiumboy

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jackdaniels View Post
    What I wouldn’t give to be in a GA Pit crowd right now, with some semblance of how great life used to be. Unfortunately, I don’t have any faith in life ever returning to “normal” (large crowds, no distancing or ridiculous face diapers) based on the goalposts continually changing by the likes of Fauci, CDC, WHO, and politicians all whom can’t be trusted with the truth and their infatuation with power. Society has been so programmed by fear mongering and mask shaming that something as simple as a DMB show seems impossible at this point. It’s depressing and stressful, maybe it’s just me. If this is the “new normal” count me out, guess I’ll be stuck at 99 shows. Sorry, just needed to vent.
    I find myself feeling this way more and more. I am straight up terrified of the future, and it’s not because of the virus.
    Old 01-18-2021, 06:22 AM   #7087
    donvito72

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They could set up a mass temp screening area. At Six Flags you walk through this room and you're on video with your temp showing on your head. Disney's temp screening area took like 5 minutes to walk through. It can be done quickly if that is something they decide to do.
    That fever thing doesn't tell you nearly as much as originally thought.
    Old 01-18-2021, 06:28 AM   #7088
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donvito72 View Post
    That fever thing doesn't tell you nearly as much as originally thought.
    Correct. Its performative to make it appear things are being done to mitigate spread. I was saying that it can be done quickly if a venue wants to do it.

The key is vaccinating enough people to destress the healthcare system. After that they is no legitimate reason not to open up everything.
    Old 01-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #7089
    donvito72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Correct. Its performative to make it appear things are being done to mitigate spread. I was saying that it can be done quickly if a venue wants to do it.

The key is vaccinating enough people to destress the healthcare system. After that they is no legitimate reason not to open up everything.
    And let's be even more direct about this - vaccinating enough people over the age of 65, which would greatly aid the health care system.

But I agree with you - the key isn't getting to a point where the risk is zero. People the fall outside of the normal risk parameters of this virus are going to be getting infected and even potentially dying for some time still. The risk isn't going to be "zero" for a long long time..
    Old 01-18-2021, 07:08 AM   #7090
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donvito72 View Post
    And let's be even more direct about this - vaccinating enough people over the age of 65, which would greatly aid the health care system.

But I agree with you - the key isn't getting to a point where the risk is zero. People the fall outside of the normal risk parameters of this virus are going to be getting infected and even potentially dying for some time still. The risk isn't going to be "zero" for a long long time..
    I hate to word it like this but this is my main optimism as the vaccine starts rolling out. When we see a significant portion of the at-risk population vaccinated hospitalizations are going to plummet. There will always be someone in the COVID unit but the hospitals won't be overwhelmed. The original shutdown, and even current shutdowns, are not fully in place to stop the spread but to stop from overwhelming the hospitals.

If we see those that are typically hospitalized vaccinated, things are going to feel more normal than they have in a very, very long time. As COVID-fatigued as America is I don't see us holding back normal activities, especially when state governments are already chomping at the bit to reopen.

I'm not saying I agree that's the right thing, I just see it as the reality of what's going to happen.
    Old 01-18-2021, 07:08 AM   #7091
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

100% agreed. This is what SHOULD be happening. But I think we’re seeing evidence that this won’t be enough to get life back to normal. It seems they are pushing for a zero covid scenario now, which is what scares me.
    Old 01-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #7092
    troll565

Shows Seen: 83

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Jazz Fest being moved from April to October is a good sign me thinks.
    Old 01-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #7093
    SoCalDMBLover

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troll565 View Post

I've been over to the Jazz Fest message boards. More likely that they're merely kicking the can, and will do so again in October.

People with connections say that Jazz Fest starts their planning 50 weeks in advance, and that so far, there have been Zero preparations for a 2021 Fest.

Sure, if the situation improves dramatically over the next couple of months, it's a possibility, but for now, the chances it will take place in 9 months, are low.
    Old 01-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #7094
    Jake C

Shows Seen: 106

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cincy_ View Post
    Keep in mind it is not just the bands. You need the bus drivers, stage hands and all the workers at the venues to get the shots to be able to open. Best chance would be September or October before you get enough of a percentage of the population taken care of.. with 330 mil citizens you are looking at 165 million for just 50% to get both shots. From what i read you need a month after the second shot to be considered in the clear.
    You will also need state and local governments to allow large groups to gather for concerts. 2021 is a long shot at this point...
    Agree. And I think certain members of DMB are in the age group at risk.

And the point about state and local governments ties into another thread where someone talked about the difference of public funded vs private owned venues.

Several obstacles to overcome.

- J
    Old 01-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #7095
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

The money probably doesn't exist to refund every single artist's shows that have booked tours with Live Nation.

For this reason, I think they will just move the 2021 tour again to 2022, give the option of refunds and then you can roll tickets over if you want. It'll be wild when we finally get to shows that we'll be like, "Damn, I've rolled this ticket over twice... from two years ago." Ha. But it'll get the job done and I assume a lot of people, including myself, would keep the tickets invested.
    Old 01-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #7096
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troll565 View Post
    A lot of people assumed fall 2020 would work out. A lot more people thought 2021 would work out. At this point it’s not officially going to happen until the band(s) walk onstage.

A couple weeks ago I predicted the next DMB show would take place around May 15 2022, and many people mocked me. I don’t sound so crazy now.
    Old 01-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #7097
    bbqguy1962

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

John Butler cancelled 2021 European tour to 2022

All my very best,
    Jack Layton (1950 - 2011)
    Old 01-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #7098
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post
    A lot of people assumed fall 2020 would work out. A lot more people thought 2021 would work out. At this point it’s not officially going to happen until the band(s) walk onstage.

A couple weeks ago I predicted the next DMB show would take place around May 15 2022, and many people mocked me. I don’t sound so crazy now.
    This guy is just a giant bottle of optimism.
    Old 01-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #7099
    donvito72

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    It's kinda refreshing - there's not exactly a shortage of doomsdayers.
    Old 01-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #7100
    greyant2

Shows Seen: 169

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbqguy1962 View Post
    John Butler cancelled 2021 European tour to 2022
    That's certainly not a good sign when you consider that most of Europe is in much better shape than us.

Shows I've Seen
    Facebook
    Old 01-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #7101
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It’s not a matter of optimistic vs pessimistic. To use a phrase I kind of hate, IT IS WHAT IT IS. The situation simply exists, regardless of my outlook. I personally think the shows should go on. Not next year, THIS FUCKING YEAR!
    Old 01-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #7102
    SoCalDMBLover

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Well, you can either get a Dr. who tells you that you have an incurable disease with months to live, or the optimistic Dr. who says that all is well, and you will be around for years to come.

Nobody knows for certain how it will turn out, but so far, the ones who have been pessimistic have been proven correct. Nobody likes to get bad news, but it is what it is. I'd rather have the cold, hard facts rather than someone who is spewing bullshit and false hope, just because it sounds better.

Last edited by SoCalDMBLover; 01-18-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    Old 01-18-2021, 02:28 PM   #7103
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoCalDMBLover View Post
    Well, you can either get a Dr. who tells you that you have an incurable disease with months to live, or the optimistic Dr. who says that all is well, and you will be around for years to come.

Nobody knows for certain how it will turn out, but so far, the ones who have been pessimistic have been proven correct. Nobody likes to get bad news, but it is what it is. I'd rather have the cold, hard facts rather than someone who is spewing bullshit and false hope, just because it sounds better.
    There it is. I am not a pessimistic person by nature. I'm a pretty happy go lucky guy, believe it or not. I really, really want shows to happen this year! Few things would please me more. The fact that I probably won't see DMB for a 2nd year in a row leaves an empty hole in my soul!! I have just seen the writing on the wall, and have not been confident about a 2021 tour, by anybody, for quite some time. If I am wrong, then we all win! But I don't think I'm wrong.
    Old 01-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #7104
    SoCalDMBLover

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greyant2 View Post
    That's certainly not a good sign when you consider that most of Europe is in much better shape than us.

Most of the World is in better shape than us.

But Europe? Not really. UK & Italy have a higher per capita death rate than we do. And Spain, France & Sweden all have fared poorly since the beginning. Can't tour Europe and skip UK, France, Spain & Italy.
    Old 01-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #7105
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

This year is likely shot and I'd settle for a semi-normal sports calendar at this point, but we will get past this. In 5 years or less, between testing/vaccine logistics stabilizing, new treatments, and natural burnout of the virus, commercially, it will be like it never happened. Normal life will come back, it will just take longer than we'd like. We survived the Spanish Flu, we will survive Covid. You'll blink your eyes and you will start seeing articles about obnoxious travelers pissing off locals due to the record travel booms. We will bitch about ticketmaster. We will stand in pits again. It just sucks right now because we're in the thick of it.

The disease will never completely go away, so a zero covid goal is unrealistic, but eventually the financial pressure will outweigh the public health risk and swing the burden of risk back to the consumer--either stay home or don't, but the option to go out will be there.
    Old 01-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #7106
    podiumboy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somuchtoplay View Post
    This year is likely shot and I'd settle for a semi-normal sports calendar at this point, but we will get past this. In 5 years or less, between testing/vaccine logistics stabilizing, new treatments, and natural burnout of the virus, commercially, it will be like it never happened. Normal life will come back, it will just take longer than we'd like. We survived the Spanish Flu, we will survive Covid. You'll blink your eyes and you will start seeing articles about obnoxious travelers pissing off locals due to the record travel booms. We will bitch about ticketmaster. We will stand in pits again. It just sucks right now because we're in the thick of it.

The disease will never completely go away, so a zero covid goal is unrealistic, but eventually the financial pressure will outweigh the public health risk and swing the burden of risk back to the consumer--either stay home or don't, but the option to go out will be there.
    5 years? Gee... can’t wait!
    Old 01-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #7107
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somuchtoplay View Post

Way less than 5 years. 2022 will be the more permanent "new normal" 2023 will be pretty much completely normal. 2021 will continue to show drastic improvement and by fall I really do think we will have pretty normal big events.
    Old 01-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #7108
    somuchtoplay

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by podiumboy View Post
    5 years? Gee... can’t wait!

I don't think it will take THAT long, was more of a, in 5 years this will clearly be in the rearview. Things will improve vastly, much quicker than that, but i think its going to be a while before things are truly 100% like they were in terms of large, unmasked gatherings with strangers in our personal space.
    Old 01-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #7109
    Moose Thompson
    F Them Kids

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    The money probably doesn't exist to refund every single artist's shows that have booked tours with Live Nation.

For this reason, I think they will just move the 2021 tour again to 2022, give the option of refunds and then you can roll tickets over if you want. It'll be wild when we finally get to shows that we'll be like, "Damn, I've rolled this ticket over twice... from two years ago." Ha. But it'll get the job done and I assume a lot of people, including myself, would keep the tickets invested.
    I hope they offer refunds again because I will 100% take the money, I should have last year. I have great tickets to my favorite venue but at this point I'm over it and would rather have the cash back and deal with tickets when we see what concerts will look like when they return.
    Old 01-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #7110
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Way less than 5 years. 2022 will be the more permanent "new normal" 2023 will be pretty much completely normal. 2021 will continue to show drastic improvement and by fall I really do think we will have pretty normal big events.

This was posted in Prompter. We don't need to get into the weeds arguing about why certain demos will or won't get the vaccine, but just note just how many people are, at this point, saying they will NOT be getting it even if it's made available to them.

This is not a path to big events in 2021.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    Will get vaccinated via NPR/PBS/Marist poll:

79% Biden voters
    75% Democrats
    71% White college
    60% White
    60% men
    58% all Americans
    55% women
    55% non-White
    54% independents