Favorite beer of choice? - Page 1053 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #31561
dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Favorite beer of choice?

Usually steer clear of over the top fruity summer ales but this Deep River Double D's Watermelon Lager is money. Not too sweet and very refreshing. A buddy of mine is a brewmaster at Deep River in Clayton, NC.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #31562
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myersk27 View Post
    I think the real unfortunate part of all of it is that many of those people who are lining before midnight are people who just want to move the beer in trades or get best "value" for it. I get it. I really do. But it's just my feeling that people should drink their beer and not treat it as a commodity. It's just beer. It's supposed to be consumed. Again, I totally understand why people do that.....I just disagree with the practice. I've never waited in line for beer with the specific intent to trade it away. If I'm waiting that long...I'm drinking it.
    You and I agree on this above post 100%. When I wait for beer, most of the time I get what I can drink only, usually a single 4-pack of each beer available. There are times when I will pick up for friends who I trade/swap with on a some semi-regular basis. But it is all prearranged, I don't actively seek trades after I pick up. That way I can move the beer right after I get it so the other person gets the beer as fresh as possible.
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #31563
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Been slowly enjoying the few Trillium beers I brought home from last month. Finally cracked open the stout, Secret Stairs, I think is what it was called. Great beer. Haven't had a decent beer from them yet. All phenomenal. Mettle is one of my favorite DIPAs and will have me clamoring to go back to Boston for.
    Good to hear. Trillium is easily one of the best craft brewers out there right now. Mettle, Heavy Mettle and Citra Cutting Tiles are some of the best beers I have ever had. If that was the only thing I had to drink in my fridge, I would be 100% fine with that.
    Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #31564
    ckramer09

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I was at the SP Tete release the weekend before last and got there at 7:30 am. I was about 100th in line. Over 1000 people, and limit was one bottle pp. But the lines at SP are always an amazing time. Bottle share galore in the lot. Had the original Tete and the Tete v15 on site inside the brewery, both are phenomenal. I love Side Project so much, but man, talk about expensive.
    ckramer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #31565
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    Well, thought I had heard/seen it all when if came to crazy can/beer releases. However, OH turned the corner, and another, and another, and another, over the weekend. I didn't go to the release, was out of town, but wasn't going to go anyway when I heard about it. The 3 beers released were all collabs with either Monkish or Trillium, with one beer a triple collab. Needless to say, it brought out all the crazy one would expect. Heard that people were already lining up the night before, somewhere between 8-9pm, with 30+ people in line by 10 pm and slowly building. Now, keep in mind, the release was on Saturday morning at 10 am, so people were going to be camping out over night for beer, for a max 10 4-packs total per person. I think the final count of the line was over 1000+ people in line, waiting to get cans with allotments varying between the 3 beers.

Now, fast forward to Saturday morning. From what I can gather, it sounded like if you were not in line by no later then 6:00 am, you were shut out out of cans. Some people even stuck it out, hoping and walked away with nothing. They did announce that once cans were gone, they were tapping kegs for growlers, but heard that line was massive and was taking over 90 min to get anything, as those shut out ran for the growler line once the can sell out was announced.

I am all for unique, collaborations, and making the effort to get them. But the second I heard about this release I was like 'Nope, no way.' I am sure the beer is great, but at the end of the day it is just beer. Not going to stand in line for 4-5 hours, praying I get something or, for that matter, standing in line that long at all. Also read that people were offering $100 for a single 4-pack of any of the 3 beers too. Just ridiculous and really diminishes the whole idea of the beer scene when you have to make that much of an effort to maybe get some beer, or turn around and pay well over the actual price to get any.
    Nope. No way. That's nuts!

There's plenty of good beers out there.

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #31566
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpduke5173 View Post
    Usually steer clear of over the top fruity summer ales but this Deep River Double D's Watermelon Lager is money. Not too sweet and very refreshing. A buddy of mine is a brewmaster at Deep River in Clayton, NC.
    What are your favorite beer spots in Raleigh?
    Old 07-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #31567
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, thought I had heard/seen it all when if came to crazy can/beer releases. However, OH turned the corner, and another, and another, and another, over the weekend. I didn't go to the release, was out of town, but wasn't going to go anyway when I heard about it. The 3 beers released were all collabs with either Monkish or Trillium, with one beer a triple collab. Needless to say, it brought out all the crazy one would expect. Heard that people were already lining up the night before, somewhere between 8-9pm, with 30+ people in line by 10 pm and slowly building. Now, keep in mind, the release was on Saturday morning at 10 am, so people were going to be camping out over night for beer, for a max 10 4-packs total per person. I think the final count of the line was over 1000+ people in line, waiting to get cans with allotments varying between the 3 beers.

Now, fast forward to Saturday morning. From what I can gather, it sounded like if you were not in line by no later then 6:00 am, you were shut out out of cans. Some people even stuck it out, hoping and walked away with nothing. They did announce that once cans were gone, they were tapping kegs for growlers, but heard that line was massive and was taking over 90 min to get anything, as those shut out ran for the growler line once the can sell out was announced.

I am all for unique, collaborations, and making the effort to get them. But the second I heard about this release I was like 'Nope, no way.' I am sure the beer is great, but at the end of the day it is just beer. Not going to stand in line for 4-5 hours, praying I get something or, for that matter, standing in line that long at all. Also read that people were offering $100 for a single 4-pack of any of the 3 beers too. Just ridiculous and really diminishes the whole idea of the beer scene when you have to make that much of an effort to maybe get some beer, or turn around and pay well over the actual price to get any.
    someone on my local facebook trading group posted an ebay listing from this release...3 beers, $600
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #31568
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    someone on my local facebook trading group posted an ebay listing from this release...3 beers, $600
    Yeah, that is just stupid. Fuck, it is just beer. Not like you are drinking an elixir that will give you eternal life.
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #31569
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    What are your favorite beer spots in Raleigh?
    Other than Deep River in Clayton,I enjoy Aviator in Fuquay, Bond Brothers in Cary, Trophy Brewing just catered a work event and I really like their beer as well.

Carolina Brewing Company and Bombshell right in my hometown of Holly Springs are really good as well.
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #31570
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i saw that.
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #31571
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's just beer. It's supposed to be consumed.
    I stopped trading, cut way, way back on buying and put in more effort to homebrewing once I realized this. I'll never make a beer that is "world class", but I do know how to make beer that I really like, so what else is there?
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #31572
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

I was curious to see the eBay stuff for Other Half so I searched and wow, just wow. The teku glasses are just as ridiculously priced as the beer. It is a fucking glass with a potato graphic on it for petes sake! SMH
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #31573
    myersk27

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    unfortunately the secondary market for beer is alive, thriving, and growing. So many people with so much money get their jollies off of being able to have the most rare beers. It really helps them feel better about themselves and validates their existence as humans. More power to them....it's not for me. I actually like to drink beer.
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #31574
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mposey34 View Post
    I stopped trading, cut way, way back on buying and put in more effort to homebrewing once I realized this. I'll never make a beer that is "world class", but I do know how to make beer that I really like, so what else is there?
    agreed. and by doing what you're doing, you're saving a lot more money.
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #31575
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

I did feel weird about selling my French Vanilla Militia this year at DLD....but it's hard to say no to someone offering you $350 for a bottle of beer. Paid for my whole weekend and then some.
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #31576
    cpxc.

My Tour Central Stats

I have 1 can of hop hands, canned this week.

BIN for $200

square cash only

will ship PM me label.
    Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #31577
    ckramer09

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I did feel weird about selling my French Vanilla Militia this year at DLD....but it's hard to say no to someone offering you $350 for a bottle of beer. Paid for my whole weekend and then some.
    Eventually, I plan on trading or selling my bottle of Tete for just a lot of good beer that I'll drink. I'm with you on this.
    ckramer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #31578
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you are just sitting there and someone offers you money, I think I could justify the sale. As opposed to intentionally buying beer for the sole purpose of reselling for profit. If I had gone to the OH release, I could have easily taken full allotment and sold extras and easily paid for the whole thing. Like you said, buy it to drink it, buy it to share it.
    Old 07-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #31579
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you are just sitting there and someone offers you money, I think I could justify the sale. As opposed to intentionally buying beer for the sole purpose of reselling for profit. If I had gone to the OH release, I could have easily taken full allotment and sold extras and easily paid for the whole thing. Like you said, buy it to drink it, buy it to share it.

The other part of that story is that I really didn't have any interest in drinking the bottle either.
    Old 07-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #31580
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't own a beer I wouldn't sell for $50, much less $350
    Old 07-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #31581
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Looking like the Charlton Tree House location is opening up soon Perfect timing for me to hit it up on my way back from Cape Cod later in the month. Place looks HUGE.

Currently out of beer outside of cellared stuff. Feels good to have stayed away from buying much over the last few weeks. Last brewery run was probably 6-7 weeks ago.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #31582
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Just had one of these I picked up on Saturday. Is there a more beautiful beer can out there???

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3474/286214/

BTW...beer was fantastic.
    MDPrompter is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #31583
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    Just had one of these I picked up on Saturday. Is there a more beautiful beer can out there???

i need a craft beer bar in Cincy that has a lot of different options.....
    Old 07-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #31584
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

FBD can is still my favorite. Cant beat a Unicorn shitting a rainbow.

http://imgur.com/HEK58y3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #31585
    cpxc.

My Tour Central Stats

pipeworks does some of the best cans.

best label got to be fantasy factory
    Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #31586
    myersk27

My Tour Central Stats

I really enjoy the labels for Half Acre Big Hugs......it's really hard to beat a label that you peel back and reveal an entire comic strip.....so much fun.
    Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #31587
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    FBD can is still my favorite. Cant beat a Unicorn shitting a rainbow.

http://imgur.com/HEK58y3
    That is pretty sweet!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpxc. View Post
    pipeworks does some of the best cans.

best label got to be fantasy factory
    Ninjas v. Unicorns has great can art.

Quote:
    I really enjoy the labels for Half Acre Big Hugs......it's really hard to beat a label that you peel back and reveal an entire comic strip.....so much fun.
    Wow, that is cool. The best I have seen around here is some of KCBC's labels, with LIC Beer Project right there too. KCBC labels have a comic book feel to the label art. Where as LIC are graffiti inspired. Here are a few samples:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVStNgKF...kcbcbeer&hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDhJwCl...kcbcbeer&hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BT4Pev9g...licbeerproject
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BN9Xk9dF...licbeerproject
    Old 07-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #31588
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Wine not beer but I found this interesting:

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/s...cp_facebook_ba
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #31589
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Wow, that is cool. The best I have seen around here is some of KCBC's labels, with LIC Beer Project right there too. KCBC labels have a comic book feel to the label art. Where as LIC are graffiti inspired. Here are a few samples:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVStNgKF...kcbcbeer&hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDhJwCl...kcbcbeer&hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BT4Pev9g...licbeerproject
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BN9Xk9dF...licbeerproject
    Those are all really well done

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #31590
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Tree House Curiosity Series is by far my favorite can art. Done by a local artist, Dean Keever.

Some of my favorites that I've had -

C32: https://www.google.com/search?q=curi...ao7gfc2Oo6SkM:

C33: https://www.google.com/search?q=curi...evdx3CyaK9pMM:

C34: https://www.google.com/search?q=curi...2Zpe-V9TRqreM:
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote