Moving to a New City - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-15-2017, 05:47 AM   #1
artiej1120

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Moving to a New City

Hey guys!

So my girlfriend and I have decided that we can't do the New England winters anymore. We're looking to move to Austin, TX once her lease is up in September. I was looking for any advice you guys might have for moving to a new city as this will be my first time living outside of Boston. My biggest questions are:

-When do I start looking for an apartment and how do you go about it when you're half a country away?

-The same questions, but for finding a new job. How does the interview/application process typically go being out of state?

Any help is HUGELY appreciated. Thanks everyone!
artiej1120 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-15-2017, 05:49 AM   #2
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Moving to a New City

My buddy just made that move from Boston to Austin and he is loving every second of it. I don't have any info to share, but good luck! Austin is amazing i spent about 6 months down there in 2005.
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2017, 05:50 AM   #3
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Hopefully you have the dollars saved up to be able to first move, then regularly go on interviews if you are truly starting from scratch job wise. Most employers won't even take your application seriously until you are down there and doing a face to face interview, assuming it is a job you physically go to every day. Really depends on your industry though.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 03-15-2017 at 05:51 AM.
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I would definitely advise talking to Matthew (ExistenceNow). He is our resident Austin expert and can probably give you plenty of advice on getting situated there. I believe Lockman21 also moved there within the past couple of years. Good luck! Moving to a new city is super exciting.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

If you know you'll be moving in September, I'd start applying for jobs now. What is your background/industry? Depending on which, some may want you to be down there already before they'll consider your application.

However, others (in my experience), will take care of travel costs to bring you down if you indicate you are looking to relocate there. If you're hired there may be moving cost compensation/relocation packages. This will vary greatly from company to company and depends entirely on the type of job. You also may need to be flexible and move there sooner if they offer something
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
    dontshootmydog
    KillHimHonorably

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Be patient. Don't expect things to happen instantaneously. Don't get discouraged if you cannot find an apartment or job as soon as you like. If you rush you'll find yourself in a crappy apartment, working a job you hate, you're not able to enjoy your new surroundings, and your relationships will falter because of the stress and discomfort. Also, don't take I70 through Kansas.
    They [the lots] don't officially open until 2 hours before the show, but they have always opened before that, usually around 2:30 - 3:00
    dontshootmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Love Austin, was looking to move there in 2012/2013, but as Tidu stated, employers won't look at your resume without Austin address. That was the issue I faced.
    Old 03-15-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I would seriously recommend coming to stay and visit for about 2 weeks in July/August. It gets brutally hot here. The last two summers have been unseasonably cool, but the summer before that I think we did like 27-30 straight days of temps over 100. I've lived here my whole life and I still dread that July/August brutality.

Rent in Austin proper is through the roof due to everyone moving here from the coasts. I don't know what your financial situation is like but if you're trying to do it on a budget then look outside of Austin in areas like Buda/Kyle. They are about 10-20 minutes away (depending on traffic) and are much much more rural, but they are also a little less expensive.
    Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #9
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

We moved to Cleveland a few years ago for a couple years for my wife's grad program and it was stressful. Difference is that you're actually making the choice to make the move. Also, she found our she got in two months before we got married, and we moved two weeks after the wedding. That said, I agree with above.

Finding a job was probably the worst part. With it being such a quick move and so much on our plate at the time I took the first thing that was offered to me, but it was only $16 an hour. However, that was after a month and a half of active job searching. I took it with the intention of finding something else once we got there...6 months later...and I actively searched almost every day. I don't know what you do for work though, and I don't know the job market in Austin. If you can nab something before then, great. But it might be easier to secure some kind of employment to hold you over for a few months until you can actually live in the area and be present for interviews. Either way, definitely start to save up beforehand. Luckily we got married and received a sizable amount in gift money, so we used that to help us in rough spots, as $16 an hour doesn't go too far for two people. But it's good to have some savings in line in case of emergency.

To find a place to live I highly suggest you taking a trip or two out there. I made a quick trip out to OH the month before our wedding and got so lucky by finding our place in one day. It turned out to be a nice place in a nice neighborhood. That was after a month and a half of looking for places online. Do you have a dog? Those are a big factor. I did not get as lucky when we moved back out east last summer. I started searching for places in May for an August 1 move in date and I didn't find anything until the beginning of July. I did a lot of Craigslist searching as well as Trulia (they have a decent app). But go down there and scope the area to see where some good spots are. Start researching the area and cost of living. Unless you're buying a place, it might not be too easy to find an apartment this far out, unless you move into an apartment complex of some sort. Usually those have scheduled move out dates and what not.

Good Luck! We're thinking about moving again ourselves. Maybe even back to Cleveland. Because Rhode Island SUCKS. This is the worst place I've ever lived in 35 years.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #10
    dontshootmydog
    KillHimHonorably

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    We moved to Cleveland a few years ago for a couple years for my wife's grad program and it was stressful. Difference is that you're actually making the choice to make the move. Also, she found our she got in two months before we got married, and we moved two weeks after the wedding. That said, I agree with above.

Finding a job was probably the worst part. With it being such a quick move and so much on our plate at the time I took the first thing that was offered to me, but it was only $16 an hour. However, that was after a month and a half of active job searching. I took it with the intention of finding something else once we got there...6 months later...and I actively searched almost every day. I don't know what you do for work though, and I don't know the job market in Austin. If you can nab something before then, great. But it might be easier to secure some kind of employment to hold you over for a few months until you can actually live in the area and be present for interviews. Either way, definitely start to save up beforehand. Luckily we got married and received a sizable amount in gift money, so we used that to help us in rough spots, as $16 an hour doesn't go too far for two people. But it's good to have some savings in line in case of emergency.

To find a place to live I highly suggest you taking a trip or two out there. I made a quick trip out to OH the month before our wedding and got so lucky by finding our place in one day. It turned out to be a nice place in a nice neighborhood. That was after a month and a half of looking for places online. Do you have a dog? Those are a big factor. I did not get as lucky when we moved back out east last summer. I started searching for places in May for an August 1 move in date and I didn't find anything until the beginning of July. I did a lot of Craigslist searching as well as Trulia (they have a decent app). But go down there and scope the area to see where some good spots are. Start researching the area and cost of living. Unless you're buying a place, it might not be too easy to find an apartment this far out, unless you move into an apartment complex of some sort. Usually those have scheduled move out dates and what not.

Good Luck! We're thinking about moving again ourselves. Maybe even back to Cleveland. Because Rhode Island SUCKS. This is the worst place I've ever lived in 35 years.
    Do it!
    They [the lots] don't officially open until 2 hours before the show, but they have always opened before that, usually around 2:30 - 3:00
    dontshootmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Connecticut will gladly welcome you with open arms. Infinity times better than Rhode Island (except Newport. Newport is the best).
    Old 03-15-2017, 07:36 AM   #12
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by artiej1120 View Post
    Hey guys!

So my girlfriend and I have decided that we can't do the New England winters anymore.

was it the 2 hours of shoveling that did you in?

http://antsmarching.org/forum/showpo...postcount=7602
    Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #13
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontshootmydog View Post
    Do it!
    It keeps getting tossed out there. I don't think it will happen though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Connecticut will gladly welcome you with open arms. Infinity times better than Rhode Island (except Newport. Newport is the best).
    $$$$$ Our biggest issue is expense to live out this way. Cleveland is way less expensive. But...then we WOULD be a lot closer to get cracking on that Batman script.
    Old 03-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
    artiej1120

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr. testaverde View Post
    was it the 2 hours of shoveling that did you in?

http://antsmarching.org/forum/showpo...postcount=7602
    Haha we actually made the decision after we took a trip out there a couple of weeks ago. We've been spitballing the idea of getting out of New England because we can't take the winters anymore and Austin checked off all the boxes. I did a ton of research before the trip so I know the neighborhoods as much as I can without living there. I have a job currently as a retail manager (have 6 years management experience) and have a decent amount of money saved up. Obviously there are a lot of moving pieces. I'm not tied to a lease like my girl is, so I could potentially get down there before September but the long distance would be tough. I'm starting to put some feelers out to companies down there and letting them know that I'd be able to start essentially whenever. I guess I'm more worried about the job aspect than the apartment part as there's TONS of places down there within my price range. Anyways, keep the advice coming guys! I need all the help I can get
    Old 03-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #15
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Haha we actually made the decision after we took a trip out there a couple of weeks ago. We've been spitballing the idea of getting out of New England because we can't take the winters anymore and Austin checked off all the boxes. I did a ton of research before the trip so I know the neighborhoods as much as I can without living there. I have a job currently as a retail manager (have 6 years management experience) and have a decent amount of money saved up. Obviously there are a lot of moving pieces. I'm not tied to a lease like my girl is, so I could potentially get down there before September but the long distance would be tough. I'm starting to put some feelers out to companies down there and letting them know that I'd be able to start essentially whenever. I guess I'm more worried about the job aspect than the apartment part as there's TONS of places down there within my price range. Anyways, keep the advice coming guys! I need all the help I can get
    Honestly it sounds like you have things pretty well buttoned up from a planning perspective. You've done some research of areas to live. That's a big part of it, I think. Trying to figure out good areas to live in Cleveland, while also living close enough to the city so my wife could use public transit to school, was a nightmare to do from New England. If you need to go early, a few months apart isn't too bad. It sucks, but if it's short and temporary then that makes it easier. When we moved back east last year I came out in May and my wife didn't get here until August. It wasn't awesome, but I just tried to make the best of the time I got to spend with my folks, family and friends. Make the most of getting there early and dive into a new job and meet some new people.

Getting out of Billerica, huh? Can't remember if I've mentioned before, but my parents grew up there and I still have family there. Small world.
    Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
    dre2142
    Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

but back to CLEVELAND? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #17
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post

If those weren't the Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism vids I was going to post them myself.

HA!

Good stuff
    Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #18
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey guys!

So my girlfriend and I have decided that we can't do the New England winters anymore. We're looking to move to Austin, TX once her lease is up in September. I was looking for any advice you guys might have for moving to a new city as this will be my first time living outside of Boston. My biggest questions are:

-When do I start looking for an apartment and how do you go about it when you're half a country away?

-The same questions, but for finding a new job. How does the interview/application process typically go being out of state?

Any help is HUGELY appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    HA! Everybody point and laugh at the weak!

(do you guys need a roommate?)
    Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #19
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wait, don't you live in Baltimore?
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
    artiej1120

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post

The more the merrier! She's from Tallahassee and gets S.A.D. (definitely a real thing) in the winter, and it's just hit a tipping point. I used to totally be a winter person but now that I commute into the city it's absolutely fucking miserable. Austin is definitely the place for us. Finding a job is for sure the most nerve wracking part though.
    Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #21
    artiej1120

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The more the merrier! She's from Tallahassee and gets S.A.D. (definitely a real thing) in the winter, and it's just hit a tipping point. I used to totally be a winter person but now that I commute into the city it's absolutely fucking miserable. Austin is definitely the place for us. Finding a job is for sure the most nerve wracking part though.
    Old 03-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #22
    artiej1120

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Old 03-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #23
    artiej1120

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Honestly it sounds like you have things pretty well buttoned up from a planning perspective. You've done some research of areas to live. That's a big part of it, I think. Trying to figure out good areas to live in Cleveland, while also living close enough to the city so my wife could use public transit to school, was a nightmare to do from New England. If you need to go early, a few months apart isn't too bad. It sucks, but if it's short and temporary then that makes it easier. When we moved back east last year I came out in May and my wife didn't get here until August. It wasn't awesome, but I just tried to make the best of the time I got to spend with my folks, family and friends. Make the most of getting there early and dive into a new job and meet some new people.

Getting out of Billerica, huh? Can't remember if I've mentioned before, but my parents grew up there and I still have family there. Small world.
    Yeah I think we talked about it a couple years ago! I'm down in Pinehurst right by the Burlington line. Appreciate all the advice man! It's stressful for sure.
    Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #24
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My brother sent those to me when he found out we were moving there a few years ago. It's not that bad!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    He was talking about me. My wife and I want to move back.
    Old 03-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #25
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My brother sent those to me when he found out we were moving there a few years ago. It's not that bad!!!

He was talking about me. My wife and I want to move back.
    I know. He was making fun of Cleveland, but I think he is from Baltimore. That's not allowed.
    Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #26
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I think my favorite line is the flats look like a scooby-doo ghost town. Cracks me up.
    Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #27
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, i dont. I live 50 miles west of Baltimore.
    Old 03-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #28
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, i dont. I live 50 miles west of Baltimore.

So you live in the outer suburbs of Baltimore? I'm just saying not the right citizenry to be making fun of Cleveland.
    Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #29
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So you live in the outer suburbs of Baltimore? I'm just saying not the right citizenry to be making fun of Cleveland.
    what the fuck lee. do you not see that everyone here is having a nice conversation and youre coming in here like a little shit?

No, i dont live in the "outer suburbs" of Baltimore.there are three counties between me and baltimore city. Im also 50 miles north of DC, and 30 miles east of Loudon County, and grew up in Potomac MD, all some of the richest areas in the entire country.

But nice try Lee!!! Keep it up! Either way, your logic makes zero sense. And the videos are F-U-N-N-Y

Last edited by dre2142; 03-16-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #30
    Lee3691

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what the fuck lee. do you not see that everyone here is having a nice conversation and youre coming in here like a little shit?

No, i dont live in the "outer suburbs" of Baltimore.there are three counties between me and baltimore city. Im also 50 miles north of DC, and 30 miles east of Loudon County, and grew up in Potomac MD, all some of the richest areas in the entire country.

But nice try Lee!!! Keep it up! Either way, your logic makes zero sense. And the videos are F-U-N-N-Y
    They are funny, but you need some decaf. Thanks for telling us how you rich you are though, I was just pointing our the irony of people living near Baltimore shitting on Cleveland.