New Album Coming in One Week! - Page 170 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-23-2021, 10:18 PM   #5071
elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflower View Post
dude. let it go. your analysis is critically flawed. DDTW is about one thing. It has nothing to do with left v. right, republican v. democrat. It is literally about one thing. no one with a brain can refute that. Mercy on the other hand, is not. You can say all you want that it's "blantant" and "activist" and "lazy' and i'll tell you any person, on either side of the political spectrum could make the song an anthem for their cause, which is like the antithesis of "on the nose", which is the comment i originally responded to which you are ardently defending. For god sake, "mercy" provided motivation for my sister to leave a failing marriage. You could make it about anything. DDTW? not so much. CF? no. art is in the eye of the beholder but your arguments regarding the nature of these songs, and the literalness of their lyrics is, well. well, it's wrong.

sorry back reading. I think we are talking about two different things. I think your saying more what a person may read into a songs lyrics or be inspired by from by the words and DDTW yes is about one subject. Or maybe it's just a nice reminder of our history. Mercy is more philosophical/inspiring. Also, it seems to be a very important song to you and yours so sorry to offend.

I just think the lyrics are more in the trite/cliche range. Like they were overcooked. I do enjoy the outro very much though.
elconguero is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #5072
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbdreamingtree View Post
    WATM is Dave’s best song in years.

This is coming from a frequent critic. The song is so good.
    It’s really good. That chorus is super catchy and I love what Stefan does during it.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2021, 10:26 PM   #5073
    elconguero

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    now we're just having a discussion which i appreciate. the answer to your question is, yes. In 1998 as i shipped off to collecge, there was no question but that DDTW was about the plight you reference above. now, you tell me what mercy is about? no one knows. It's about everything. and nothing. all at once.
    Maybe you, but I just don't think most reached that upon first listen. Boyds long violin pulls, Stefans cool bass, Dave screaming, Alanis screaming, a sound they never created before.

You really think most people heard that for the first time and said, "cool song about the native americans."
    Old 07-23-2021, 10:33 PM   #5074
    elconguero

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey View Post
    “your land is gone and given to me”

“yes i will call this home”

“what’s this you say? your father’s spirit still lives in this place? well I will bury you”

I think it can definitely be deduced that this is a song about colonists taking over native land.
    your all acting like we had a lyric sheet with us when we first heard DDTW. Yeah after multiple listens and reading the words you know what its about. I'm saying upon first listen. So much is going on that song takes multiple listens to take in. Mercy with a single repeated note not so much.

That's all I was trying to get at.

Yeah, Norwegian Wood is about the narrator burning down a girls residence that wouldn't sleep with him. Got that on first listen!

But moving on it sounds like WATM does have more what I enjoy so I can't wait to hear it all fleshed out in the studio.
    Old 07-24-2021, 04:30 AM   #5075
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Okay, I definitely like Walk Around the Moon. Chorus is strong and I'm cool with background vocals.
    Old 07-24-2021, 04:37 AM   #5076
    jhinds76

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Miller9 View Post
    Everyday literally sounds like a Gospel hymn now. Buddy is so extra and over the top. Outro especially he is overpowering Dave. Just not a fan of what they’ve done with making the organ more prominent than the saxophone. Which correct me if I’m wrong use to be a staple to the DMB sound? 😑
    You are not wrong.
    Old 07-24-2021, 04:44 AM   #5077
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I will admit I was pretty sour on Walk Around the Moon last night. Dave’s vocal is just so bad on the first verse I can barely tell what the melody is supposed to be. But the more I listen the more I am enjoying the rest of the song. The chorus is definitely great and the bridge that gets repeated is super cool
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 04:45 AM   #5078
    DMBFan4Life5
    "Seek Up An Emotion"

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Has anyone found a rip of the audio from last night yet? I don't have SXM, and was interested in hearing the show from last night. I know its a bit soon, but, I'm impatient. Haha.

Thanks!
    DMBFan4Life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 04:51 AM   #5079
    jhinds76

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    how the fuck is mercy or sftw "on the nose"? Do you know what that phrase means? lol. good god. How the hell is CT even "on the nose"? you people are crazy.
    I would say “up the nose” would be more appropriate to describe Dave’s political songs. Dave does like to shove his political tunnel vision takes up his audiences nose. Whether agree or disagree with those takes to me they are a turn off either way. Easy solution is to skip those songs when you control the playlist. Live that isn’t possible so I think that frustrates some folks. While political songs do not turn me on, at the end of the day if I go to a show I am paying to see what whichever artist wants to play and am taking a wager with guaranteed odds that some of these tunes are getting played.
    Old 07-24-2021, 04:54 AM   #5080
    desertdogesq

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Call me the contrarian, but I like Windows quite a bit. I think Walk Around the Moon has potential. And I also enjoy seeing the current version of Everyday live, more so with Buddy then earlier versions. I think some of the complaining about this concert was as much attributable to a poor audio mix as anything: Dave and Buddy’s feed were too strong all night, Carter, Tim, and Stefan’s feed were too weak, and the horns were too weak until Branford Marsalis came out, and which point they cranked the horns feed almost too much. In that sense, I can understand some of the complaints. But there are also some people that will never be satisfied with anything other than being critical. As I said last night almost immediately after the show, it was a good show for an opener. Lots of new material, an awesome guest, and lots of good classic jams with fresh takes. I swear some of you would win the powerball and piss and moan about the tax consequences associated rather than celebrating $200-million. Lots of potential with the new work. And it met the moment we are all living in: fresh steps backs towards old familiarity, with some fits of uncertainty and relearning old tasks we long took for granted.
    desertdogesq is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 04:54 AM   #5081
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

WATM: I dig the groove, and the last 2 minutes were by far the best part of the song. I think this has a ton of studio potential. Live, it has potential, too, but Dave needs to figure out how he is going to sing it… the first verse sounded like he was trying to figure out the right key… which made it sound like TGIY, but it definitely got better as the song went on.

In general I’m really excited I hear this in studio and I think this can turn into a really cool live song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 05:55 AM   #5082
    anthonysoscia

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

WATM was pretty great. The background vocals were not as piercing live, and overall mix throughout the show live was somewhat different at times vs the stream.

The chorus of WATM is kinda trippy, and the screen had some trippy images with mushrooms and plants and such. Beautiful work by Jeff too. I think it has the potential to be a great song of this era, and an amazing studio track
    anthonysoscia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #5083
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Problem is they probably already have the final version of WATM unless they add some jams and touches to it as it evolves this summer but they probably jus played the album version which is fine but don’t expect it to be much different
    bibby1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #5084
    jbrown211
    Josh

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

From what I can piece together, I like WATM - especially the chorus. Does anyone else think that the sound quality is garbage? There are portions of the song I can’t even make out the melody. I couldn’t make it out too well on the stream and now I’m watching a YouTube one that is similar in quality. Is there a better quality version out there?

I think what I found most promising about OATB and WATM is that it seemed jeff had a good role in it. I love the sax so more of that is good with me.
    jbrown211 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:24 AM   #5085
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

The more I listen to WATM the more I like it… the groove is fucking great and the layers feel/sound more like the classic DMB I fell in love with (compared to the “standard rock” sound that the last few albums have had).

I’m genuinely hyped for the album after this song. Now I need to listen to OATB full band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:28 AM   #5086
    DMBCardinal

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbrown211 View Post
    From what I can piece together, I like WATM - especially the chorus. Does anyone else think that the sound quality is garbage? There are portions of the song I can’t even make out the melody. I couldn’t make it out too well on the stream and now I’m watching a YouTube one that is similar in quality. Is there a better quality version out there?

I think what I found most promising about OATB and WATM is that it seemed jeff had a good role in it. I love the sax so more of that is good with me.
    Yes, Jeff's involvement in both songs was very promising. He was mostly absent on CT.

I think WATM will be a great studio cut. Dave struggled vocally at the beginning, but I'm sure the studio cut will be solid.
    DMBCardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #5087
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

It doesn’t help that this WATM is one of Dave’s pitchiest vocals he’s maybe ever performed. Legitimately struggling to understand what the melody on the verses is supposed to be
    Dankguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:35 AM   #5088
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah he’ll clean up the verses but he’s definitely trying to make the song frantic which I think works given the subject and the chorus ties perfectly into that theme and the chorus both of them flow. I don’t want to get ahead of myself but this song feels different than the types of songs we’ve gotten over the past few years. I think it’s going to end up being a real popular song for them. The crossed into a dream since I part with background vocals coming in and out is going to sound really really good in the studio.

I wanna say this is what I wanna see from the band now. Use your current form to make music. This song to me feels like Dave making different music for them but only for them not to sound like what anyone else is currently doing or what they’ve already done. Use Tim effectively most importantly use Jeff and rashawn effectively then use the background singers of rashawn Carter and now Buddy and it will hopefully lead to a different sound that is new and brings life to their new music. This feels like a step towards that.

Last edited by bibby1044; 07-24-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #5089
    jbrown211
    Josh

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>jbrown211</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">From what I can piece together, I like WATM - especially the chorus. Does anyone else think that the sound quality is garbage? There are portions of the song I can’t even make out the melody. I couldn’t make it out too well on the stream and now I’m watching a YouTube one that is similar in quality. Is there a better quality version out there? <br>
    <br>
    I think what I found most promising about OATB and WATM is that it seemed jeff had a good role in it. I love the sax so more of that is good with me.</div>
    </div>Yes, Jeff's involvement in both songs was very promising. He was mostly absent on CT.<br>
    <br>
    I think WATM will be a great studio cut. Dave struggled vocally at the beginning, but I'm sure the studio cut will be solid.
    I agree 100%. I am very excited for the album because I like all the new songs we’ve heard. I also think that Bismarck’s sound fits in well with OATB and WATM so I’m hoping they go with it. Good cuts of those three in the studio would be enough for me.

Also just realized You can listen to the concert on Sirius again on demand and skip around for anyone that didn’t know that!
    jbrown211 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #5090
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

The both the mix/stream and Dave's voice were not the best last night, although I think everything improved at the show went on. I'm curious to hear what the tapers recorded as well as what the future performances of sound like once they get in their groove. And I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the studio cuts once they're available. I think WATM has lots of potential.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:39 AM   #5091
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbrown211 View Post
    Also just realized You can listen to the concert on Sirius again on demand and skip around for anyone that didn’t know that!
    Ha...I just opened up the app, and they're specifically playing WATM from last night.
    Old 07-24-2021, 06:48 AM   #5092
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Here's someone's video of WATM. (Not mine)

https://youtu.be/n565mPuFEaY

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Copperpot video.
    Old 07-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #5093
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    The both the mix/stream and Dave's voice were not the best last night, although I think everything improved at the show went on. I'm curious to hear what the tapers recorded as well as what the future performances of sound like once they get in their groove. And I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the studio cuts once they're available. I think WATM has lots of potential.
    Dave's voice was great in person.
    Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #5094
    Royal123

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Everyone complains no matter what. I’m just pumped to see them in my backyard in Holmdel soon. My wife gave her blessings and has the kids home, and I have a show night out with some friends. After over a year, can’t wait for it. I do agree that the feed from last night was not ideal at all. Cheers to the start of tour season, my friends!
    Royal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #5095
    madhatter

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    Dave's voice was great in person.
    Glad to hear that. And listening to WATM again this morning, it definitely sounded better than what I recalled from last night.
    Old 07-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #5096
    bibby1044

My Tour Central Stats

Nobody took a stab at the lyrics yet?
    Old 07-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #5097
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bibby1044 View Post
    Nobody took a stab at the lyrics yet?
    There is a thread called WATM lyrics
    Old 07-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #5098
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Glad to hear that. And listening to WATM again this morning, it definitely sounded better than what I recalled from last night.

The band was great last night. Dave flubbed lyrics on 41 and Bayou. Branford missed his queue on WWYS other than that the sound and playing was spot on. If you (royal) didnt like the set that's different but they sound as good as ever for 4.0
    Old 07-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #5099
    Royal123

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Set was fine, I was commenting on the quality of Sirius’ feed just as others here mentioned. Some of the band members sound wasn’t coming through like Dave and Buddy.
    Royal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #5100
    resumesomething

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Well, Paddy Casey has a double album coming out next month.
    resumesomething is offline   Reply With Quote