AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite? - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Away From The World


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #121
hmich176
SarcMark(TM)
 
hmich176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hershey, PA
Posts: 10,321

Shows Seen: 12

Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave81 View Post
With the sales so far, and the singles still being heard on the radio, I'd still say yes. I'm not talking casual Dave fans. I'm talking new fans. I'm talking about the teenage girls who fall in love with Mercy and become a fan and have no idea what else DMB has ever done. Or older people who only know Crash and Satellite, and hear the new stuff and love it. Mercy, If Only, Sweet and Gaucho appeal to an entirely different person than classic DMB does. It's my opinion, but this album sounds NOTHING like the band I fell in love with. Hence, can and will attract a new following.
Given the content of the song, I find it highly unlikely teenage girls would fall in love with Mercy. It's not a love song.
__________________
Greetings: I'm Harry. I'm on various social media sites but check out my page on Untappd. My favorite beer is Founders Imperial Stout.
Quote:
The last chorus of Belly Belly Nice is acceptable to sing, but the third verse of Grey Street is not? #OccupyGreyStreet
hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #122
    coldengrey12
    Go Avs!
     
    coldengrey12's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Bay Area
    Posts: 33,098

    Shows Seen: 71

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    Given the content of the song, I find it highly unlikely teenage girls would fall in love with Mercy. It's not a love song.
    This assumes teenage girls are paying attention to the content of songs, which I doubt.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #123
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    [SIZE=3]From reading these posts I have learned that some people like it, some people don’t, and some people think it is ok. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I don’t mind reading other peoples take or opinion about it but let’s remember that it is YOUR opinion.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I personally really like the album but don’t think I should be told I like it because I already knew Lillywhite produced or that I am wrong.[/SIZE]
    Just my OPINION
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #124
    Gandalf
     
    Gandalf's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: SUNY Plattsburgh
    Posts: 233

    Shows Seen: 8

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    to almost every word of this, particularly about how AFTW and BS are opposites.

    And this poster wasn't the only one who heard Drunken Soldier and was deeply disappointed.
    I'm with both of you. I wonder if it's a generational thing (we all joined Ants in 2002-2003).

    I agree with everything, except I actually liked Drunken Soldier a lot just because it's a brave try in a mostly pretty safe album. Imagine an album so creative and gutsy that you never know when Dave will enter to sing? (Also solves the lyric problem)

    Totally agree about BS, and totally agree about AFTW being less than the sum of its parts.

    I posted this in another threat, but I'll say it again:

    Can't most fans just agree that Dave is best when heís chasing someone who doesnít love him or thinking about dying and singing a carpe diem rallying cry while rain is coming down on him and a monkey. Not one appearance of a monkey and only two allusions to going down on a woman on this album. It was a good run, Mrs. Matthews.
    __________________
    Monkey Man is so right.
    Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #125
    Heyberto
    My Man in Amsterdam
     
    Heyberto's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
    Posts: 10,973

    Shows Seen: 52

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hershey2004 View Post
    Is this album truly deserving of high praise, or do fans WANT to love it because Lillywhite produced with DMB again finally? I honestly believe if you kept the exact same album/songs/production, but swapped out Lillywhite with Cavallo or even Batson, that hardcores would be less apt to say this album is amazing.

    Like many others, I find this album very underwhelming. It's not bad, but it sounds almost lazy. Not as lazy as Stand Up, mind you, but AFTW feels less exciting after the power of Big Whiskey. Big Whiskey has it's weak moments too, but overall I find it to be a much more memorable and solid DMB experience than this new album.

    I think people want to love AFTW because Lillywhite is back, but the new DMB today felt much more alive under Cavallo's production in 2009.

    Thoughts?
    It's not splashy. There is nothing here that just screams out at you, but that's why I like it. DMB had gotten so bombastic that they had sacrificed subtlety. This album has all that. If it doesn't wow you, then I get your point of view. But even without all that, it's easily their bast album since tLWS.

    My review months later.. the lyrics are underwhelming, but the music and production is right where it needs to be. That works for me. I'll take albums of this quality any day of the week.

    As for IF Batson/Cavallo/Ballard could have produced this and the fanbase would have collectively pooped on it.. those guys couldn't have made this album, so it's a pointless argument.

    Still a great album. It's not Big 3, but I didn't expect it to be. It's a far cry from so much of the music we got since then.
    __________________
    I have nothing to promote or inform you with in this signature... but it is for lease, inquire within.
    Heyberto is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #126
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    [SIZE=3]From reading these posts I have learned that some people like it, some people donít, and some people think it is ok. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I donít mind reading other peoples take or opinion about it but letís remember that it is YOUR opinion.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I personally really like the album but donít think I should be told I like it because I already knew Lillywhite produced or that I am wrong.[/SIZE]
    Just my OPINION
    Underrated post.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #127
    BotheLaneFan
    Hey Daaaaaddddyyyyyyy
     
    BotheLaneFan's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Las Vegas, NV
    Posts: 117,284

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    This album is a failure sales wise.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    "Pre-Order our new album! It has songs!"
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #128
    gakm7
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Posts: 1,957

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    I don't think so... It's just nobody buys music anymore.... Even Bieber's album didn't sell that well... People still buy Taylor Swift's music apparently... I mean, 1M sold in 1 week? C'mon people............ =/
    gakm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #129
    markus_europe
    Toy Soldiers
     
    markus_europe's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: Vienna, Austria
    Posts: 926

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    a bit, yes.
    production is good, songs often mediocre.

    oh and i forgot who said this but i still laugh: GAUCHO is DMB's "African Child".
    markus_europe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #130
    MusicPerson
     
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Posts: 22

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Yes.

    Now, I should mention that Everyday is one of my top three albums and am not afraid to admit that Stand Up is OK. But I'm also a huge fan of their classic stuff, and Before These Crowded Streets is my #1 favorite album of theirs.

    I love a lot of what DMB have given, but I'm not going to love everything they give, and even if some of that stuff is Lillywhite material, I'm not going to lie that I think it just isn't good.
    MusicPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 AM   #131
    DMBzilla
    tour.
     
    DMBzilla's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2002
    Location: Bucks County, PA
    Posts: 32,556

    Shows Seen: 192

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusicPerson View Post
    Yes.

    Now, I should mention that Everyday is one of my top three albums and am not afraid to admit that Stand Up is OK. But I'm also a huge fan of their classic stuff, and Before These Crowded Streets is my #1 favorite album of theirs.

    I love a lot of what DMB have given, but I'm not going to love everything they give, and even if some of that stuff is Lillywhite material, I'm not going to lie that I think it just isn't good.
    So Everyday is better than either UTTAD or Crash?
    __________________
    No shows. 😢
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #132
    MusicPerson
     
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Posts: 22

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    It is better than Crash, but not UTTAD, in my opinion.
    MusicPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #133
    snow1868
    Party in the back!
     
    snow1868's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Ocoee, FL
    Posts: 33,271

    Shows Seen: 13

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusicPerson View Post
    It is better than Crash, but not UTTAD, in my opinion.
    You're kidding right? There is no universe in which Everyday is better than Crash.
    __________________
    Ryan
    Go Pokes! Go Royals! Go Chiefs!

    Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #134
    DontBurnTheDay3
    Registered User
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 7

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    No universe that you'll be able to live in, at least.

    I admit, I'm actually divided on the two. Crash has some really epic songs, whereas Everyday as a whole is more listenable.

    I know that's still blasphemous in the eyes of fans, and if that's what got me kicked off in the first place, I'll try to knock it off.
    DontBurnTheDay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #135
    bowa36
    code magenta
     
    bowa36's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: GA
    Posts: 11,055

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    I've come to love Everyday lately. Dreams of our Fathers has become one of my favorite songs. I'd now rate it just under the Big 3 + Lillywhite Sessions
    __________________
    When it's not the colors that matter,
    but that they'll all fade away

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stefan Lessard
    You just never know what you might get. Our shows are like a pack of baseball cards.
    bowa36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #136
    DontBurnTheDay3
    Registered User
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 7

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Cool.

    So I assume my comment WASN'T what got me banned originally.

    I'm sorry for whatever I did. I just hope I don't accidentally do it again.
    DontBurnTheDay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #137
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    ED easily a DMB Top 5 album.
    Also, AFTW is a turd.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #138
    dthree
     
    dthree's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2006
    Posts: 2,661

    Shows Seen: 34

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    ED easily a DMB Top 5 album.
    Also, AFTW is a turd.
    Serious, Clark? Do you even like any DMB songs? I swear all you do is say songs are turds.
    dthree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #139
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Stop praising the shitty ones and start discussing the great ones then.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #140
    DreamingStreets
     
    Join Date: Apr 2014
    Posts: 563

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Well, I thought getting Lillywhite back was at least a good sign of things to come, even though I didn't like the album itself.

    But the next one will be produced by Cavallo? Huh...
    DreamingStreets is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #141
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud
     
    space_raven's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 11,240

    Shows Seen: 14

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Yes, IMO, AFTW is overrated because of Lillywhite.
    __________________
    only one way out of the world

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #142
    bartender_man
     
    bartender_man's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Posts: 20,077

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    Yes, IMO, AFTW is overrated because of Lillywhite.

    __________________
    Ash from New Zealand
    bartender_man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #143
    deadendstreet
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Posts: 2,000

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    I've always thought the good songs on Everyday are really good, while the bad ones are really bad. The problem is it doesn't sound like DMB, so it's a turn off for many fans. which I can understand. I'd still put it and Big Whiskey side by side beneath the Big Three and Busted Stuff.

    Good:
    WTWE
    Space Between
    Dreams of our Fathers
    So Right
    If I Had it All
    Fool to Think
    What You Are

    OK Song:
    Everyday

    Bad:
    I Did It
    Angel
    Mother Father
    Sleep to Dream Her
    __________________
    Beau
    deadendstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2015, 01:16 AM   #144
    bartender_man
     
    bartender_man's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Posts: 20,077

    Shows Seen: 32

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Wrong thread?
    __________________
    Ash from New Zealand
    bartender_man is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #145
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud
     
    space_raven's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2015
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 11,240

    Shows Seen: 14

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    ^^ You lost bro?
    __________________
    only one way out of the world

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #146
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels
     
    crashintonickdm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2002
    Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
    Posts: 72,760

    Shows Seen: 73

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Some people just can't accept that only one producer has gotten as much as possible from the band compared to his counterparts.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #147
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 42,702

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Some people just can't accept that only one producer has gotten as much as possible from the band compared to his counterparts.
    I think youre imagining things. Noone claims that other producers have gotten big 3 quality material out of them. Some people just may like other albums more.
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

    Last edited by TheLastPig; 07-14-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #148
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 42,702

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    I never find myself wanting to listen to AFTW. It has 0 lasting impact. And I really like Snow Outside and DS, but the lyrics literally kill DS. I also think Broken things is overrated around here. Its a decent song, but it doesnt stand out above anything else on this album.
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #149
    #27#34#36#40#41
     
    #27#34#36#40#41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Home of the Buffalo Bills
    Posts: 1,625

    Shows Seen: 37

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    broken things is the best song since 2001 ...give it a reminder listen
    #27#34#36#40#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #150
    TheLastPig
     
    TheLastPig's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts: 42,702

    Shows Seen: 53

    Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by #27#34#36#40#41 View Post
    broken things is the best song since 2001 ...give it a reminder listen
    its a good song. I think I would appreciate it more if they played it live. I saw it at Cville 2012 and it really is a dud live. I do wish they would play it over songs like Rooftop. Rooftop is just so bland.
    __________________
    WVU


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Ants Facebook
    Ants Instagram
    Matt's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter