Rate the band's sound now - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: How do the songs sound now compared to 2014-2016?
Much better 42 19.18%
Slightly better 83 37.90%
The same 24 10.96%
Slightly worse 56 25.57%
Much worse 14 6.39%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #91
tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rate the band's sound now

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
To me, and that's the important part of my statement here, the me part, it's not DMB.
What do you want? A violin?
tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #92
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I would like a violin, Tyler. I would like a violin very much.
    Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #93
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    What do you want? A violin?
    Yes, that would be a start. Losing Rashawn would be another help.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #94
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

I think the argument that dmb is a dmb cover band is a bad one. Those people should go Listen to an actual dmb cover band. Those bands are usually pretty awful. Then when real dmb is done touring everyone will be complaining that they didn't see real dmb enough in the later years.

No offense if your in a dmb cover band
    Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #95
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Yes, that would be a start. Losing Rashawn would be another help.
    I agree with losing RR
    Old 07-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #96
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    I think the argument that dmb is a dmb cover band is a bad one. Those people should go Listen to an actual dmb cover band. Those bands are usually pretty awful. Then when real dmb is done touring everyone will be complaining that they didn't see real dmb enough in the later years.

No offense if your in a dmb cover band
    We’re very close to this being Dave and friends
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #97
    CrazyEasy354

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBCardinal View Post
    The majority like the sound better according to this poll. To be fair it is only comparing this year to the 14-16 years, so this poll doesn't include the sound you are talking about when the band started. I would rather have no violin at all then have a violin player that makes you cringe because he is so bad. Now, if they brought in a competent violinist next year I think they would sound even better. I don't know if you've heard shows this year, but the electric isn't as loud and Rashawn has toned it down on the squeaking. They are playing songs at a better tempo as well. The past several tours it seemed like they were rushing through every song. This year is definitely a step in the right direction.
    This is spot on

I'm relatively newer here, but a majority of the posts I see from you are agreeable, IMO.
    Old 07-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #98
    KClaw

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

DMB has always been "Dave and Friends" if you must. Dave is what makes this band. I love the talented musicians he has been surrounded by along the way but it doesn't work without Dave. Period. Again I find myself sounding like a broken record...but the band hasn't sounded like 90's DMB since well, the fucking 90's. They have had members and guests rotate in and out for various reasons and their sound is always changing because they are people and they change. I still like, no love, their sound. Others do not. And in my opinion that's too bad because their shows still kick ass and the band always brings it. Not saying I think all of their songs are a 10 and perfect just stating they are in a good place and I like their sound still.
    KClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #99
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Yeah but in the Jazzy songs, the trumpet is amazing imo. They’re making #41 jazzy again and I love it. And that Seek Up intro is jazzy as ever.
    Seek Up intro is the best thing this band is doing right now. Well, that or the Rapunzel outro. Or anytime Jeff and Rashawn are trading solos or improvising together.

Rashawn Ross and Jeff Coffin are both freaking spectacular and this band is preposterously blessed to have both.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #100
    tannersarver

Shows Seen: 51

My Tour Central Stats

After listening to gorge ‘16 on Sirius, I think this year’s sound is far better. Much tighter, energetic, and you can tell they are just having a blast.
    tannersarver is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #101
    Antiramie

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I think the variable that creates the biggest divide is there not being a violin...at least from what I can gather by all the comments so far. I'm still fairly surprised by the "much better" votes. Personally, I never thought the band sounded subpar in 2014-2016. And I would have thought losing the violin would have impacted opinions more negatively. Even with the band supposedly sounding tighter and what not, I personally am still having a hard time justifying seeing them without a violin on stage. Even with the great tour debuts as of late, I'm still thinking those songs would just sound incomplete. Though I'm tempted to buy tickets just out of sheer curiosity at this point and use whatever opinion I have of that show as a litmus test for future tours.

Last edited by Antiramie; 07-11-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    Antiramie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #102
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    I think the variable that creates the biggest divide is there not being a violin...at least from what I can gather by all the comments so far. I'm still fairly surprised by the "much better" votes. Personally, I never thought the band sounded subpar in 2014-2016. And I would have thought losing the violin would have impacted opinions more negatively. Even with the band supposedly sounding tighter and what not, I personally am still having a hard time justifying seeing them without a violin on stage. Even with the great tour debuts as of late, I'm still thinking those songs would just sound incomplete. Though I'm tempted to buy tickets just out of sheer curiosity at this point and use whatever opinion I have of that show as a litmus test for future tours.
    They sound great and it's a unique dmb experience compared to the past. Well worth seeing your local show. Go enjoy a band you love that sounds really good right now. Go into it expecting nothing more than that and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how great it is.
    Old 07-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #103
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    They sound great and it's a unique dmb experience compared to the past. Well worth seeing your local show. Go enjoy a band you love that sounds really good right now. Go into it expecting nothing more than that and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how great it is.
    Or just watch the free webcast from SPAC this weekend.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #104
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When lie in our graves isn’t good live there’s an issue. Camden n2 is tied for worst show I’ve ever seen.

I always go into shows with the indifferent mentality. I won’t with what you said because it doesn’t make any sense.
    Old 07-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #105
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

just listened to Pig, wtf was that? i'd rather never hear that song played full band again then to hear them attempt to cover boyd's intro.

yeah the band's sound is worse IMO
    Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #106
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    When lie in our graves isn’t good live there’s an issue. Camden n2 is tied for worst show I’ve ever seen.

I always go into shows with the indifferent mentality. I won’t with what you said because it doesn’t make any sense.
    What doesn't make sense about seeing a band you love that sounds really good on the tour you'll be attending? I havent heard LIOG except on periscope, but even if it is subpar compared to other versions, it's just one song and it's likely to not be played anyway.

The Deer Creek shows I just attended were up there with most enjoyable I've seen in my 40 shows. It sucks that Camden was subpar this year. I'd still say dmb is worth checking out this year for those fans who are on the fence. That's what I was trying to say. Go see it for yourself and you'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

*you being someone on the fence, not you personally.
    Old 07-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #107
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeandsee41 View Post
    just listened to Pig, wtf was that? i'd rather never hear that song played full band again then to hear them attempt to cover boyd's intro.

yeah the band's sound is worse IMO
    Listening to it again just now and I dont see how you could reach the conclusion of not ever wanting to see it again. It sounded fine. Would I prefer it with a violin? Yes, especially if the violinist played it in tune. But by no means should it be shelved forever without one.
    Old 07-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #108
    LetYouDown22
    LetYouDown22

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Yea Pig didn't sound bad at all....actually loved the tempo. But not everyone is going approve of that version, which is fine. Saying it should never be played again like that did give me a solid laugh. The dramatics got me there.
    LetYouDown22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #109
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Listening to it again just now and I dont see how you could reach the conclusion of not ever wanting to see it again. It sounded fine. Would I prefer it with a violin? Yes, especially if the violinist played it in tune. But by no means should it be shelved forever without one.
    because that song is perfect and part of its perfection comes from that violin intro and its use throughout the song. the trumpet sounds silly and just doesnt fit. again, my opinion, but i rather not hear it without a violin. which is dam shame, cause its a top 10 song.
    Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #110
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What doesn't make sense about seeing a band you love that sounds really good on the tour you'll be attending? I havent heard LIOG except on periscope, but even if it is subpar compared to other versions, it's just one song and it's likely to not be played anyway.

The Deer Creek shows I just attended were up there with most enjoyable I've seen in my 40 shows. It sucks that Camden was subpar this year. I'd still say dmb is worth checking out this year for those fans who are on the fence. That's what I was trying to say. Go see it for yourself and you'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

*you being someone on the fence, not you personally.
    It’s not gonna all the sudden be great because I’m going into it with a not expecting much attitude. Great went out the window when leroi died.

They need a violin. I enjoy buddy. I don’t like rashawns dominant role. Jeff being a prop isn’t good either
    Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #111
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

I was impressed with the pace of pig along with the keys behind the band. By no means am I gonna say it was a great performance though.
    Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #112
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

If you were going in fresh to see this band for the first time and had never heard the violin, therefore had no bias on how the songs have sounded in the past, I think you'd have a much better appreciation for what they're doing this year. Unfortunately, none of us can erase our memories of their sound for 25 years, so it's really tough to judge their current sound impartially. It's similar to when Jeff took over for Roi. Jeff is an incredibly talented sax player, but obviously a different style than Roi. If Jeff had been the original sax player and Roi took over, we'd probably be grumbling about Roi's sound after hearing Jeff for almost two decades.

As for me, I really like a lot of the arrangements they've gone with this year, but some of them have fallen flat. Didn't enjoy LIOG without Boyd, but Billies is awesome. I'd have to go back and listen to Pig again, but I don't remember being too taken aback by it the other night. I still think the best thing they've done this year is the reworking of LITHOG.
    mthawk07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #113
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeandsee41 View Post
    because that song is perfect and part of its perfection comes from that violin intro and its use throughout the song. the trumpet sounds silly and just doesnt fit. again, my opinion, but i rather not hear it without a violin. which is dam shame, cause its a top 10 song.
    Boyd is only audible live during that intro, and a decent portion of the time he screws it up. It's 10 seconds of the song, and we're lucky the riff is still being played at all...
    Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #114
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    If you were going in fresh to see this band for the first time and had never heard the violin, therefore had no bias on how the songs have sounded in the past, I think you'd have a much better appreciation for what they're doing this year. Unfortunately, none of us can erase our memories of their sound for 25 years, so it's really tough to judge their current sound impartially. It's similar to when Jeff took over for Roi. Jeff is an incredibly talented sax player, but obviously a different style than Roi. If Jeff had been the original sax player and Roi took over, we'd probably be grumbling about Roi's sound after hearing Jeff for almost two decades.

As for me, I really like a lot of the arrangements they've gone with this year, but some of them have fallen flat. Didn't enjoy LIOG without Boyd, but Billies is awesome. I'd have to go back and listen to Pig again, but I don't remember being too taken aback by it the other night. I still think the best thing they've done this year is the reworking of LITHOG.
    I’m not sure if I’d still gravitate to dmb as closely as I did if it was Jeff. Two factors brought me in. Dave’s voice and lerois horn. Jeff is abrasive but can be smooth when he wants. Even when roi let loose his notes connected with bends and hooks that were soooo smooth. And then obviously you can listen to a song like lover lay down and be wowed
    Old 07-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #115
    seanbrutus

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

My biggest hope is that the people who complain about DMB will stop going to DMB shows so I can enjoy the band for who they are right now. They have changed and so have I and I'm grateful we've still changed in the same direction. It's not perfect, it never was, and yes I'm happy with RR and I think Buddy is crushing it. I appreciate them taking their legacy by the horns in the light of how much could've been ruined with Boyd. Even as a casual fan the last 8 or so years until recently, it wasn't hard to notice that Boyd gave less and less, and therefore the band gave less and less to him. For a band with so much love to give, it was a noticeable bad energy. I love Boyd and hope he figures himself out, but I am glad he is gone for now.

It amazes me the amount of people on here who hate on everything past a certain point with the band. Why exactly? They've been a different band almost as long as they were the original lineup. Why continue with your own personal negativity to something you claim to love? It's ok to move on, and hey maybe you will find your back. I still love the old records, and hell, I'll still even spin Stand Up for what it's worth. It's all just music, and it's music that has accompanied me through some amazing and some difficult times. I lost my grandmother recently, and hearing an album full of love and light from a group I hold near and dear to me was all I needed to know that I'd get by. Not all the lyrics are shining beacons of songwriting, but I enjoy it all the same. The EMOTION is there again, and hell if I want to go back and hear Crash, I can just as easily do that. They owe nothing to me, but have given to me everything time and time again.

I don't love every decision they've done, but I am just happy that I got to see every iteration of one of my favorite bands of all time. I remember being a kid listening to Remember Two Things pining over my various crushes, and I remember sitting next to my grandmothers deathbed listening to Hear On Out. I'm grateful for my first shows in the early 2000's, and I'm grateful I took a chance on a Pit ticket for Atlanta in May. It's different of course, and sometimes I want to point to Jeff and yell "You take this solo instead!", but hey it's just change, and just like all change it can be seen as good or bad depending on where you view it from.

I can't wait to see a back to back run with them in WPB, something I've always wanted to do, and I still hope to catch a D&T before it's all said and done. Life is fleeting. I enjoy DMB. If you don't anymore that is cool too. There is a whole world of music out there waiting for you.
    seanbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #116
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanbrutus View Post
    My biggest hope is that the people who complain about DMB will stop going to DMB shows so I can enjoy the band for who they are right now. They have changed and so have I and I'm grateful we've still changed in the same direction. It's not perfect, it never was, and yes I'm happy with RR and I think Buddy is crushing it. I appreciate them taking their legacy by the horns in the light of how much could've been ruined with Boyd. Even as a casual fan the last 8 or so years until recently, it wasn't hard to notice that Boyd gave less and less, and therefore the band gave less and less to him. For a band with so much love to give, it was a noticeable bad energy. I love Boyd and hope he figures himself out, but I am glad he is gone for now.

It amazes me the amount of people on here who hate on everything past a certain point with the band. Why exactly? They've been a different band almost as long as they were the original lineup. Why continue with your own personal negativity to something you claim to love? It's ok to move on, and hey maybe you will find your back. I still love the old records, and hell, I'll still even spin Stand Up for what it's worth. It's all just music, and it's music that has accompanied me through some amazing and some difficult times. I lost my grandmother recently, and hearing an album full of love and light from a group I hold near and dear to me was all I needed to know that I'd get by. Not all the lyrics are shining beacons of songwriting, but I enjoy it all the same. The EMOTION is there again, and hell if I want to go back and hear Crash, I can just as easily do that. They owe nothing to me, but have given to me everything time and time again.

I don't love every decision they've done, but I am just happy that I got to see every iteration of one of my favorite bands of all time. I remember being a kid listening to Remember Two Things pining over my various crushes, and I remember sitting next to my grandmothers deathbed listening to Hear On Out. I'm grateful for my first shows in the early 2000's, and I'm grateful I took a chance on a Pit ticket for Atlanta in May. It's different of course, and sometimes I want to point to Jeff and yell "You take this solo instead!", but hey it's just change, and just like all change it can be seen as good or bad depending on where you view it from.

I can't wait to see a back to back run with them in WPB, something I've always wanted to do, and I still hope to catch a D&T before it's all said and done. Life is fleeting. I enjoy DMB. If you don't anymore that is cool too. There is a whole world of music out there waiting for you.
    In complete agreement with this. We need more people on these boards that have opinions about the band but are more open to accepting the changes they've brought.
    Old 07-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #117
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

there’s plenty of people who are positive about the bands sound here. Look at the fucking poll results of the thread you’re posting in.

And if some people being critical on a message board affects your enjoyment of a show in person... well that’s a you problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #118
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder why New younger fans aren’t coming aboard
    Old 07-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #119
    phatpig
    Thank You Roi

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

It can't possibly be better since a key instrument is missing and key parts of songs aren't being played correctly. So either slightly worse or much worse are the only options
    phatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #120
    paulg83
    Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Band sounds amazing. And I was very scared what we'd get without Boyd. But I'm sold. Love the old sound and miss it a great deal. I also love the new sound and I'm pretty damn pumped about the future. You don't have to choose a side here.