Rate the band's sound now - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: How do the songs sound now compared to 2014-2016?
Much better 42 19.18%
Slightly better 83 37.90%
The same 24 10.96%
Slightly worse 56 25.57%
Much worse 14 6.39%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #31
TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Rate the band's sound now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake.sager View Post
That A&A on the sirius stream sounded exactly like studio quality except for Carter forgetting the form while going into the choruses...
Not sure what youre listening to. This was the last one I heard and I cringed the entire way through. Dave cannot sing that song live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #32
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post

Trumpet is a priority over the saxophone and that’s a crime.
    This is something I just cant wrap my head around. Trumpet solos where sax should be sometimes boggles my mind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #33
    grilldanmo

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Can't go with the options given, but here's what I can say:

They sound great. Definitely different, but definitely great. Better is hard to say.

They've kicked butt at the three shows we've seen so far and I'm expecting them to do the same this and next weekend as we wrap our six shows this summer.
    grilldanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #34
    LaLaLaLaHey

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Not sure what youre listening to. This was the last one I heard and I cringed the entire way through. Dave cannot sing that song live.

He’s slightly off in some places, but I was mostly referring to the music / instruments itself. Sounds nearly identical to the studio.
    Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #35
    NewAgedNerd

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

The band sounds great right now. The lack of violin is a little troubling but I think they sound a lot more fresh now than they did before buddy came into the fold.
    NewAgedNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #36
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    This is something I just cant wrap my head around. Trumpet solos where sax should be sometimes boggles my mind.
    This wouldn't bother me with a more harmonically adventurous trumpet player...someone in the mold of Hubbard, Morgan, Brecker, Hargrove, etc. Rashawn is great, but he doesn't have a particularly unique voice as a player. Roi did and Jeff does.

Some of the best stuff from Roi was legato. While it might be argued that it's harder to pull off as smoothly on trumpet, it can be done. Rashawn is a more staccato player (in a general sense). Jeff is more fluid doing either/both and his melodic ideas are more advanced, yet he can play beautifully without having to go crazily outside.

I'm not meaning to slight Rashawn, but Jeff is a more advanced musician. This doesn't necessarily mean he's better, he's just got more melodic concepts at the ready...not including a better ability to play freely.

I've found that at each show so far, it starts Tim and Rashawn heavy and then things balance out better as the night goes one, with Jeff and even Buddy given more opportunities to shine.
    Old 07-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #37
    Seek#41Up

Shows Seen: 79

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, ideally they should just dump Tim and rashawn and keep buddy and give jeff open season. Oh and hire a fiddle player

Trumpet is a priority over the saxophone and that’s a crime.
    Band would sound so much better if the sax ruled all.
    Seek#41Up is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
    TurboPGT

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I like the new songs, but they are about all I'm interested in hearing right now. Some of the existing songs sound good, but many are hurting.

Rashawn playing the violin intro to Pig says a lot about the current state of the band.
    TurboPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #39
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Much better, I love it. They sound great. Tim isn't as loud, songs seem more slow, piano is adding a jazzy sound. It's great.

I love Boyd, don't get me wrong, and sure, I'd love a violin with the band again. But, as far as how they sound now, I'm digging it.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #40
    jebediahlongnut

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Hopefully they can pick up a violin player for the next tour. As for Tim, he should play more like he did on Red rocks '95.
    jebediahlongnut is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #41
    miro_eight

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grilldanmo View Post
    This wouldn't bother me with a more harmonically adventurous trumpet player...someone in the mold of Hubbard, Morgan, Brecker, Hargrove, etc. Rashawn is great, but he doesn't have a particularly unique voice as a player. Roi did and Jeff does.

Some of the best stuff from Roi was legato. While it might be argued that it's harder to pull off as smoothly on trumpet, it can be done. Rashawn is a more staccato player (in a general sense). Jeff is more fluid doing either/both and his melodic ideas are more advanced, yet he can play beautifully without having to go crazily outside.

I'm not meaning to slight Rashawn, but Jeff is a more advanced musician. This doesn't necessarily mean he's better, he's just got more melodic concepts at the ready...not including a better ability to play freely.

I've found that at each show so far, it starts Tim and Rashawn heavy and then things balance out better as the night goes one, with Jeff and even Buddy given more opportunities to shine.
    That's an insightful comment
    miro_eight is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #42
    Blackandblu34

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Band sounds better as a whole, but is missing a crucial ingredient. It can't be better, so I just chose equivalent. Buddy is a good fit, but I hope they consider adding a violin again.
    Blackandblu34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #43
    Blackandblu34

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

What if that spot becomes a rotating spot? Like one year it's Danny Barnes! JK.
    Blackandblu34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #44
    LaLaLaLaHey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I personally think Rashawn is a better musician when it all boils down, but Jeff is significantly better at improvising and making his own stuff seem interesting. Rashawn is more of a composer, behind the scenes type guy that fully understands the music and everything around it.
    Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #45
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake.sager View Post
    I personally think Rashawn is a better musician when it all boils down, but Jeff is significantly better at improvising and making his own stuff seem interesting. Rashawn is more of a composer, behind the scenes type guy that fully understands the music and everything around it.
    That's fair, but Jeff is also a writer and was a significant contributor to the Flecktones. Coffin also has a large body of work outside of DMB, specifically the Mu'tet. His career has been based on original music. There's no evidence to imply that Jeff understands any less about music than Rashawn. He's studied and toured extensively, longer and with more artists than Rashawn, and teaches a ton. Ross is a sideman thus far, albeit an excellent one.

While they're in the same band, they are distinctly types of players and musicians. For me Jeff is the "better" musician...because he is more expressive and dynamic. I'd love for him to have a far greater voice in the band. And despite my appreciation of Rashawn, I'd prefer his role be more about support than feature. He does play some great solos though (and I'm dying to hear him blow throw Break Free one of these days), but I'd rather hear more of Jeff on the reg.

Heck, I'd rather hear more Jeff than Timmah too, and Tim is one of my favorite guitarists.
    Old 07-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #46
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Both are talented. But even if Jeff was less talented it doesn’t matter. Dmb is a sax band. Not a trumpet. Trumpet belongs in full on jazz bands or high school marching bands.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #47
    dreamer689

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

I like the band's sound now. I don't know how I'd feel about a new violin player. I suppose if they are awesome... why not? But maybe it's good that they are letting a little time pass first?
    dreamer689 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #48
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Some are better, some are worse and some fit the sound because of the new album. So I said the same.
    Agree

As far as being tight, I attribute that to they actuallly are practicing a little since Buddy didn't know anything. In 14-16 you could tell it was mostly memory and winging it

Imo putting RR in the same category as jeff is foolish

Last edited by willndmb; 07-10-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #49
    Miller9

Shows Seen: 101

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I tried to describe to a friend recently how this band sounds now without Boyd. It’s weird because I can’t quite place it. It’s absolutely different, different vibe, different sound. Yet still the same songs and same faces. At times honestly sounds like a dmb cover band, for example like that Ants Marching. Good GOD is that terrible. The song comes to a screeching halt. And then the band trades solos back and forth round robin. Sorry I don’t want to hear an electric guitar and keys trading solos on ants freakin marching. And it does absolutely nothing for me. With situations like that it’s almost like the band doesn’t know WHO to go to for the energy. Like no one really stands out the way BT would when it was time for his solo on Billies or Ants. Point being: they need a violin but I have a feeling it won’t happen. I think dave is satisfied with this “rock” band they have now and I don’t see them getting a fiddle. I hope some day I can eat my words.

Lastly I’m disgusted and shocked that Jeff has not had a more prominent role in the sound of this band since BT left. For those questioning his talent go find Left of Cool by the Flecktones and tell me Jeff isn’t being handcuffed by this band. It’s frustrating as a Coffin fan. He’s no LeRoi but the man can play. Rashawn taking these solo spots is repulsive. Sure I “appreciate” Rashawn’s knowledge of the music of the band, I guess, but come on bro you’re a trumpet player. Play fills with an occasional solo. Coffin being confined to a structured horn section and not have the freedom to give this band the sound they have been known for (acoustic guita, sax and violin) just sucks. [end rant]

Ps Thank god tims been turned down he’s been decent this summer
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #50
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Both are talented. But even if Jeff was less talented it doesn’t matter. Dmb is a sax band. Not a trumpet. Trumpet belongs in full on jazz bands or high school marching bands.
    Yeah but in the Jazzy songs, the trumpet is amazing imo. They’re making #41 jazzy again and I love it. And that Seek Up intro is jazzy as ever.
    Cptn. Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #51
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Okay, I don’t wanna offend any of you old school fans. I get where y’all are coming from, nothing will touch the core band/sound. But saying someone on a different instrument can’t or shouldn’t play a part that was written for a different instrument is such a weak take.

We’ve heard Pig played with the violin hundreds of times and have so many versions of it. I do t see why you guys are so hesitant on watching them take a different approach.
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #52
    kelchlsm

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I didn't think the Ross take on Pig was bad at all, he didn't miss a note and nailed it perfectly, cant say the same for Boyd in recent years sadly
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #53
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman View Post
    Yeah but in the Jazzy songs, the trumpet is amazing imo. They’re making #41 jazzy again and I love it. And that Seek Up intro is jazzy as ever.
    Thing is Jeff is an actual jazz musician. Ross is not in the strictest sense.
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #54
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thing is Jeff is an actual jazz musician. Ross is not in the strictest sense.
    Ross and Jeff on Seek Up is one of the jazziest things they do. Just because Ross doesn’t have the jazz background like the other guys (Carter, Roi, Butch, Jeff) doesn’t mean he doesn’t fit that sound. When he plays smooth and subtly, it is very jazzy. Plus with the keys now, they are finally capturing that sound again. Man, people have been complaining about the “rock” treatment. But now electric guitar is turned down and they are focusing more on Keys Trumpet and Sax.
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #55
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

I prefer sax too, not just in DMB, but in my jazz. Coltrane is my favorite artist, but I still love Miles Davis and Freddie Hubbard as well. Not comparing Ross to those legends, but when he does do a good job fitting that mood on songs like #41 and Crush and Captain, and Proudest Monkey, Seek Up, etc
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #56
    grilldanmo

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Okay, I don’t wanna offend any of you old school fans. I get where y’all are coming from, nothing will touch the core band/sound. But saying someone on a different instrument can’t or shouldn’t play a part that was written for a different instrument is such a weak take.

We’ve heard Pig played with the violin hundreds of times and have so many versions of it. I do t see why you guys are so hesitant on watching them take a different approach.
    Several of us aren’t complaining about which instrument plays which part, but that Jeff is under utilized. A soprano sax could do those violin lines nicely. Jeff is arguably the best improviser in the band and he’s kept on a leash. And arguably only based on what people like...as a musician he’s the most experienced and advanced improviser in the band.

Rashawn hasn’t even been playing as long as Jeff has been studying and practicing improv. I say let him loose.
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #57
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I don't like what Rashawn Ross adds to the band so him taking solos on songs that were once Boyd's parts have no appeal to me. #41 is awful now, it's honestly unlistenable.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #58
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Several of us aren’t complaining about which instrument plays which part, but that Jeff is under utilized. A soprano sax could do those violin lines nicely. Jeff is arguably the best improviser in the band and he’s kept on a leash. And arguably only based on what people like...as a musician he’s the most experienced and advanced improviser in the band.

Rashawn hasn’t even been playing as long as Jeff has been studying and practicing improv. I say let him loose.
    I totally agree, I’ve said it before and I’m not afraid to say it again: I think Jeff Coffin is one of the greatest living musicians and is hands down the best musician in DMB. But I like the different flavors of Trumpet and Saxophone rather than just one. I’d like to see coffin get some more solos like he did on LITHOG from live trax 22. His solos he gets are always great, but they seem to not want him to go balls out anymore.
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #59
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Love current #41, band is mixed better than it has been in years, every musician on stage is top tier, they sound great
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #60
    Cptn. Monkeyman
    Shake those hands

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    I don't like what Rashawn Ross adds to the band so him taking solos on songs that were once Boyd's parts have no appeal to me. #41 is awful now, it's honestly unlistenable.
    I actually love this years #41. Best it’s sounded in like 10 years honestly. I also love the Sojurn of Arjuna intern between Ross and Jeff. To each their own, but I really dig it (especially the trumpet solo - seriously, not trolling ya)