***Official No Alpine Valley In 2018*** - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #91
SomeDo
Some people do

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official No Alpine Valley In 2018***

Im sure the remodel of the Marcus, now American Family Amp has something to do with it. I just don't see the band getting up for this show. I live in Milwaukee and will most likely skip this show. Im sure as hell not doing the Chicago ones, I skipped them last time too.
SomeDo is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #92
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SomeDo View Post
    Im sure the remodel of the Marcus, now American Family Amp has something to do with it. I just don't see the band getting up for this show. I live in Milwaukee and will most likely skip this show. Im sure as hell not doing the Chicago ones, I skipped them last time too.

I live 30 minutes away from Chicago. I'll be skipping it.
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #93
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I'll be doing Deer Creek instead this year. Anyone else going?
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #94
    sweens2002

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I totally get the hate for Northerly, but I mean I cant pass up a weekend of DMB here in Chicago. Whatever I was going to spend on a house at Alpine I will put toward good seats or pits and enjoy it. Not worth driving to Deer Creek when they are playing right here.
    sweens2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #95
    SomeDo
    Some people do

Shows Seen: 91

My Tour Central Stats

Someone please start a "We want Alpine, " chant
    SomeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #96
    marine

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

People need to chill. You’re really gunna call yourself a huge Dave fan and then skip the show cuz you’re butthurt about the venue? Lol ok
    marine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #97
    TheMartyr
    Dan

Shows Seen: 69

My Tour Central Stats

Lammmmmmmeeeeeee!!
    TheMartyr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #98
    Hippononymous

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I am incredibly bummed. I have a group of friends from college, and every year we have gotten together for Alpine for the past dozen or so years, even as we scattered across the country, some of us started having kids, etc. Last year it was Mexico. 2011 it was Caravan Chicago.

I grew up near Milwaukee and I pretty much hate Summerfest. I hear awful things about Northerly Island, and anyways, we like to tailgate all day before the shows. That's what made Alpine perfect.

So, what's my plan here? Noblesville? I don't think a Gorge trip is in the cards for my group... Do I just suck it up and go to Chicago? I don't know what to do here!
    Hippononymous is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #99
    jonnyp

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

This stinks. Northerly Island is the worst venue I’ve ever been to. A pain to get in and out. Worst acoustics I’ve ever heard. Horrible “pavilion” that is completely flat. The lawn, you can’t even see the stage because it too, is flat...and behind the raised grandstand sections. Grandstand seats are decent but so far back the wind carries away / affects sound. And there’s the stupid curfew. I hate this place with a passion.

I live in DT Chicago and am not going, it’s that bad. Will likely skip Chicago and Summerfest and go to Deer Creek.

Last edited by jonnyp; 01-16-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #100
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I'll be doing Deer Creek instead this year. Anyone else going?
    Definitely planning to. You'll have a blast at Deer Creek Chad. Always my 2nd favorite stop behind Alpine. Good people, and they always get consistently good sets. The Let You Down opener a couple years ago was like one of my Top 3 'jaw dropper' moments at a DMB show ever.

Are you rolling solo? Mike (MHeiser) and I had briefly discussed getting a group together to camp. He's going solo as well, and my friend that always does Deer Creek with me is likely gonna be out of town. I skipped '16 there for that reason and don't wanna skip again.

I am not a fan of the venue campground (too packed in), but I always camp at Green Acres about a mile away and it's GREAT.

http://greenacrescamping.net/

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #101
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
    Definitely planning to. You'll have a blast at Deer Creek Chad. Always my 2nd favorite stop behind Alpine. Good people, and they always get consistently good sets. The Let You Down opener a couple years ago was like one of my Top 3 'jaw dropper' moments at a DMB show ever.

Are you rolling solo? Mike (MHeiser) and I had briefly discussed getting a group together to camp. He's going solo as well, and my friend that always does Deer Creek with me is likely gonna be out of town. I skipped '16 there for that reason and don't wanna skip again.

I am not a fan of the venue campground (too packed in), but I always camp at Green Acres about a mile away and it's GREAT.

http://greenacrescamping.net/
    Yep. After my best friend passed last year, and my divorce at the end of the year, I no longer have DMB buddies to bring with me on trips. So I'll be solo all summer.
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #102
    flutterby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marine View Post
    People need to chill. You’re really gunna call yourself a huge Dave fan and then skip the show cuz you’re butthurt about the venue? Lol ok

Yep. I've been there twice & it was enough for me. Sound isn't great, the stage is way too high, the janky ass zip tied folding chairs they pass off as reserved suck, bathrooms are fancy port o potties, lawn isn't an option, tailgating is nearly non-existent, none of the crowds around me at either of my 4 shows were good & some were actively bad, & Chicago is pricy as hell for the weekend. I'd rather just go have a good time at Deer Creek & that's it.

Feel free to not be butthurt over my butthurt.
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #103
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hippononymous View Post
    I am incredibly bummed. I have a group of friends from college, and every year we have gotten together for Alpine for the past dozen or so years, even as we scattered across the country, some of us started having kids, etc. Last year it was Mexico. 2011 it was Caravan Chicago.

I grew up near Milwaukee and I pretty much hate Summerfest. I hear awful things about Northerly Island, and anyways, we like to tailgate all day before the shows. That's what made Alpine perfect.

So, what's my plan here? Noblesville? I don't think a Gorge trip is in the cards for my group... Do I just suck it up and go to Chicago? I don't know what to do here!
    Northerly Island is not NEARLY as awful as people make it out to be as long as you do it right (you can tailgate, sit in the right spots, etc...) but, all things being equal, if you're going to do a midwest stop, Deer Creek is absolutely the one to do.

Now, if you're wanting to make a 'vacation' out of it, then Chicago is a good option because you can plan days around the show to enjoy the city. Chicago in the summer is AMAZING. But if you're talking just pure DMB experience, Deer Creek wins, hands down.

Last edited by AlexK79; 01-16-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #104
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yep. After my best friend passed last year, and my divorce at the end of the year, I no longer have DMB buddies to bring with me on trips. So I'll be solo all summer.
    I'd be totally down for putting together a little group of solo travelers to camp together for Deer Creek if you're interested. Obviously we're coming from different spots so can't drive together, but meet up at the campground and then take 1 car to tailgate?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #105
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'd be totally down for putting together a little group of solo travelers to camp together for Deer Creek if you're interested. Obviously we're coming from different spots so can't drive together, but meet up at the campground and then take 1 car to tailgate?
    This sounds good to me.

We should get going on something. I'm not familiar with any of the campgrounds or how fast they fill up? I know a few of the guys that were down in Nashville last year are looking at a Deer Creek group also
    Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #106
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

And since it dropped to the last page now....please sign the petitition! :-D

https://www.change.org/p/red-light-m...-alpine-valley

Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #107
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I haven't camped in ages - I don't have any supplies or any of that, or even a tent.

Do they have cabins? That might be cheaper than me buying a bunch of new gear.
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #108
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 144

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hippononymous View Post

Your group would have a great time at Deer Creek and there are lots of camping options too.

D+T Mexico 2023 | Texas | Charleston | Pine Knob | Chicago | Gorge

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #109
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post
    This sounds good to me.

We should get going on something. I'm not familiar with any of the campgrounds or how fast they fill up? I know a few of the guys that were down in Nashville last year are looking at a Deer Creek group also
    The campground I always go to (Green Acres) always has plenty of room. It's a little more under the radar than some of the bigger names you see on the site here (Sleepybear, Dead Creek, etc.) But I have never had less than an amazing experience there. There's tons of space, you just drive right in and park your car and set up wherever you want. We always head towards the back and get a nice spot with some shade along the tree line. Sometimes they take reservations in advance (just email them and they take your name down, but you don't have to pay until you get there), other times they'll just tell you come on out, we've got plenty of space.

They allow fires and sell firewood on site. They have ice, showers, and usually have food vendors as well. You can come and go as much as you like (in case we wanted to run into town to get lunch or enjoy some A/C at a bar or something - we've done that in the past when it's been super hot.) And best of all it's privately owned and "hassle free" as their website states so, no worries about cops or shitty security.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #110
    Hippononymous

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Northerly Island is not NEARLY as awful as people make it out to be as long as you do it right (you can tailgate, sit in the right spots, etc...) but, all things being equal, if you're going to do a midwest stop, Deer Creek is absolutely the one to do.

Now, if you're wanting to make a 'vacation' out of it, then Chicago is a good option because you can plan days around the show to enjoy the city. Chicago in the summer is AMAZING. But if you're talking just pure DMB experience, Deer Creek wins, hands down.
    I'm in Wisconsin, so I'd be driving *past* Chicago to get to Deer Creek. Alpine is only an hour away. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    Hippononymous is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #111
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I haven't camped in ages - I don't have any supplies or any of that, or even a tent.

Do they have cabins? That might be cheaper than me buying a bunch of new gear.
    No cabins that I'm aware of, but I'm sure an AirBnb near the venue would be an option as well. I enjoy camping but certainly not married to that idea, and it does tend to get hot. Actually in '15 is was SO brutally hot that my buddy and I scrapped camping, found a hotel room left in downtown Indy on Priceline for a decent rate on Saturday night, and just drove back and forth to the shows.

There are not a ton of hotels right near the venue. There's one Cambria Suites right next door, but it fills up FAST and gets super expensive.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #112
    clcfball11
    Gooooooose

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Money over everything for these guys. This fucking sucks.
    clcfball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #113
    richvisser23

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    Yep. I've been there twice & it was enough for me. Sound isn't great, the stage is way too high, the janky ass zip tied folding chairs they pass off as reserved suck, bathrooms are fancy port o potties, lawn isn't an option, tailgating is nearly non-existent, none of the crowds around me at either of my 4 shows were good & some were actively bad, & Chicago is pricy as hell for the weekend. I'd rather just go have a good time at Deer Creek & that's it.

Feel free to not be butthurt over my butthurt.
    100% agree. Why spend all the money for a show in an expensive city like Chicago for shitty sound. I honestly had the best seats in the house last time, but was left with a real bad taste in my mouth.
    "The following text deals with a controversial subject. The theories expressed are not the only possible interpretation. Viewers are invited to make a judgement based on all available information."
    richvisser23 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #114
    flutterby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by richvisser23 View Post
    100% agree. Why spend all the money for a show in an expensive city like Chicago for shitty sound. I honestly had the best seats in the house last time, but was left with a real bad taste in my mouth.

Same here. N2 last year we had 7th row center and I STILL couldn't see & sound was ok at best. No thanks.
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #115
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Man if you guys think the stage is up high at NI, you should try being in the pit at the Greek in Berkeley.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #116
    MidwestGirl
    Chicago ----> Michigan

Shows Seen: 144

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Man if you guys think the stage is up high at NI, you should try being in the pit at the Greek in Berkeley.
    I love that the stage is high at NI. Great views!

D+T Mexico 2023 | Texas | Charleston | Pine Knob | Chicago | Gorge

D+T Mexico FB Group
    GORGE FAQ
    GORGE Roster
    MidwestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #117
    peterorlandini
    Lost@Alpine

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Sadness in WI today. It doesn't get much worse than Summerfest Amp.
    peterorlandini is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #118
    peterorlandini
    Lost@Alpine

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

NI is as awful as Summerfest. Deer Creek for sure.
    peterorlandini is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #119
    Musicology200

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Fuck This.

Little Thing: 1:1 7/6/12
    Musicology200 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #120
    madpiker